Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Could someone explain the declutching system on a Clark/Michigan 55A

harmetp ยท 2011-07-08 15:02

I have an old C/Mich 55A series 2 (rear wheel steer) loader and I filled the brake reservior and tried unsuccessfully to bleed the brakes (pedal moves, but not full travel). The result was I apparently de-clutched the transmission so it wouldn't go forward. After cracking the lines the loader would move. I found the declutching valve and it appears to have a rod with a wheel on the end of it that tracks the range shift lever - I don't know what the range lever has to do with declutching. The valve has a line to the transmisson and another to the brake system (I think). If anyone could give me an idea how this system is supposed to work, it would be great. I understand the concept of putting the trans in neutral when braking, but the placement of the valve and what it has to do with the range lever is confusing. thanks, Pat

Replies3
  1. #1oldseabee2011-07-10 10:42

    Two things: 1. the machine is not supposed to declutch in travel range so the linkage you speak of blocks oil from the master cylinder from declutching the transmission, in work range the oil fro the master cylinder is allowed to go through the declutch valve on the transmission to declutch. The declutch is not supposed to work in reverse. 2. there is a brake bleed screw on the transmission control cover that should be bled first, then LR, RR, LF, RF wheel cylinders, then back to the transmission to bleed it again. The machine came with a two stage master cylinder, the first stage is a large diameter piston to give high flow to engage the brakes. There is a relief valve built into the first stage,(located under the top plug on the master cylinder closest to the outlet, it is adjustable but not by pressure, but by feel of the pedal, you can feel the shift.) once sufficient pressure is obtained in the first stage, the small diameter piston takes over to generate the high pressure to the wheel cylinders. If that relief is not working or is set too high the second stage will not engage and you won't get full pedal stroke and bleeding will be very difficult, if it set too low it will shift before the brakes are engaged and you will get too much pedal travel and may not get the brakes fully engaged before you run out of stroke. Power bleeders are the best way to bleed these systems

  2. #2harmetp2011-07-10 13:47

    Thank you very muchq That's exactly what I was looking for. It currently does not declutch in reverse. I'll follow your bleeding steps and see how I come along. The master cylinder was dry for a while so I hope it still works right. It doesn't sound like this type of master cylinder would be found at a napa. thanks, Pat

  3. #3oldseabee2011-07-10 14:47

    The P/N's are 552373 Master Cylinder, 869449 relief kit, 857943 relief valve assy. I looked at Minnpar. com for those numbers and they didn't have them but you can go on their web page and contact them for help. The numbers may have changed due to update or change in vendor, I believe the original was a Bendix part. You might just take the valve apart and clean it, but make sure any sovent is gone and only brake fluid is in there, solvent or oil will cause the seals to sweel