Has anyone removed AND reinstalled the counterweight on a 40 ton or larger excavator without any type of support equipment? If so how did it go? In a different thread, Jerry said he put the counterweight on a 70 ton machine with a 240.....kind of surprising to me. Has anyone ever put one on with a 15 or 16 ton machine? If so, how big was it and how did it go?
The last time we did one, I hired a crane to install them. I had three to do and each weighed ten tons. That was the only safe way we could do it.
I have heard of guys calling a local towing outfit to lift them on and off. Whole hell of a lot cheaper the calling a crane.
I haven't seen any tow trucks that had the reach to pick a weight off a 40 ton and larger machine.
What about sitting the counterweight over the edge of the trailer and backing into it with your front end elevated then letting the front down? Will that work?
A 60 ton rotating rotator wrecker should have the reach and height... not sure but it shouldn't have issue with a 385 size counterweight. Hourly rate can be steep though.
What machine is it? Most have the option of self lowering/raising them, then you could just pick it up and place it on the trailer with the machine.
I think you are referring to one of my posts, but it should read a 245 Cat, which is a far bigger beast than a 240 size machine. Even then, it barely handled it. I have installed my Cat 350 counterweight with a Cat 330, but to take it off, we were able to block it on a flatbed trailer and unbolt it. That left it crosswise on the trailer. We then chained it so it wouldn't tip over and pulled the trailer out, then used the hoe to turn it and lay it over. We could have put it on the same way, but the 330 was available when we put it together, so it was easier that way. It takes some work and planning to get it right, but you can do it. It would be much nicer with the counterweight removal kit as an option, but mine doesn't have that. To install it from a flatbed trailer, I would measure the height to get it blocked up and look to be a little lower than needed. Not too much. Put the weight crossways on the rear of the trailer, and put the hoe behind the trailer with the tracks crossways to the trailer. Be sure to chain the weight so it does not tip over either direction. This lets you use the hoe to move side to side, and the trailer to move forward and back. Back in until a couple of inches away and check the line up. Use the boom to lift the front of the machine, lowering the rear until it lines up, then back the truck up. Install the upper bolts, unchain the counterweight from the trailer, then let the machine settle down to line up the lower holes, and install the lower bolts. Now you can tighten all the bolts and lower the front of the hoe down, which will raise the weight off of the blocks so the trailer can be pulled out. I hope this helps. If I recall, the 350 counterweight was about 23,000 pounds. I forget what the 700 weighed. As stated by others, a good heavy wrecker will be able to lift one, and while they may be expensive, they are usually much cheaper than a crane.
I was referring to your post and I was hoping you would come along. The way you explained it is what I was thinking but I had it bass akwards in my head. Using the back of the trailer is a lot better than using the side as I was thinking. I thought when I read your post that was a really stout 240. I would love to have a counterweight removal but you can't pick what is a bargain. I'm really looking for a 270 to 350 that I can haul on a 6 or 7 axle truck but if a good, cheap 40 or 45 tonner came along I wanted to be prepared for what I would be getting into. Of the two 45 ton machines my guy regularly moves, one had a removal on it and the other guy took his counterweight off and runs without it
Glad to help. I know the first way to think of it is to drop the counterweight on the trailer right where it needs to sit, and with a removal device like shown above you can, but without it is too hard to line up, plus the end of the tracks get in the way. With the tracks sideways at the rear you can get plenty of overhang onto the deck, plus you can walk the machine to get things lined up. It is one extra pick when taking it on and off, but it is worth it. Good luck finding a good machine.