My main business is railcar relocation and preservation...saving trains from the torch. I thoroughly enjoy the work although it can be laborious at times, but it's what keeps me in shape and motivated when people call me to have something done that others said it can't be done or simply won't get involved. Doing it with vintage equipment like my 1978 W900A KW and 1982 Caterpillar V300B 30k lb capacity lift is gratifying as well. This first set of pics was October 24th, 2024. I went out to Buffalo, NY and rescued this old GE 45 ton switcher that was sitting in a scrapyard, in the dirt. I hired a local wrecker outfit and used two 50 ton NRC rotators and had them lift it so I could back underneath it and set it on my stretch trailer. Carried it about 1.5 hrs east to its current location at the RR Museum in Rush, NY where they are restoring it to running condition. 2nd set of pics is of an interesting piece. It's an Evans Auto Railer. Cross between a bus and a trolley car built in Detroit, MI in the 1930's. There was approximately 110 of them built and put into service, but they just didn't catch on as planned. The concept was good...load passengers in the city, line up with the tracks and put the high rail gear down, and run across town on the rails to save time. Ended up fading out fairly quickly as trolleys dropped off the scene. It was sitting up in New Hampshire sunken into the earth since 1963 when a museum in Baltimore found it and hired me to rescue it. I got it out of its would-be grave with my Cat V300B forklift (Hercules) and loaded it up, and brought it home to do a little work to it. I managed to lube up things that were needed for the unloading process and got the high rail gear to go up and down with 12V power miraculously after sitting for over 60 years. It currently sits inside the Colesville, MD Trolley Museum waiting restoration. I'll have to post another thread due to limit of 4 pictures...
It's only a max of 4 pictures per post. Not 4 pictures per thread. Just keep adding to this thread with a new post. Nice work saving the old gear. Someone will appreciate seeing them in the future in the museums.