This was in 2023, Walpole, NH site where I spent 11 months prepping this Budd RDC-1 self-propelled bi-directional former B&M RR passenger car for transport. Had two 6-110 Detroits underneath it that powered it down the tracks that I had to remove along with all of the HVAC and plumbing and cooling systems to make it lighter and manageable to haul. Only 85 feet long with a 25 ft rear tail overhang. Took it 30 miles south to Troy, NH where it currently sits at a beautifully restored B&M RR depot at the Cheshire RR Depot, being worked on and fully restored as a historical museum and educational monument to the B&M Railroad. This is worth a visit if you're in the area...southern NH just minutes from the MA border on NH rt 12 in Troy, NH. Open weekends for tours, October they are having an open house and it's worth the trip.
I suppose I will mention it to the wife, for a day trip. Wish I had known sooner as we were just out in Hinsdale, doing some SxSing.
I'm right directly across the river from Hinsdale, on the VT side. Where did you go SbS'ing in Hinsdale...at the Pisgah State Park? We bought a used one last year up in Newport, NH and I haven't put 2 solid miles on it yet...we keep saying we're going to take a weekend and go up to Gorham/Berlin to ride up there, but it never seems to happen. before we know it, it'll be too cold if I don't make some time here soon. Yeah if you check out the #cheshirerailroaddepot online, you'll see what they're doing and can see the schedule when they're having that Depot Day. It's a great time with great people, a step back in time to what the B&M RR used to be like in that beautiful old depot that they restored.
No, I have a friend that owns and operates Three Ridges Events LLC off of Chesterfield Rd in Hindsdale he wanted some inputs on some trails. They do overlanding which is getting popular with the Millennials. lol. You should do Gorham and Berlin, we’ve got so we just do day trips, when my POS truck is running. We leave at 5am, get there by 8am and by 3pm all of us, including the dog are pretty wiped out. We have a 2 seater Kawi Teryx and I made a center pad for the dog to stand/sit on. We never ride without her unless I’m hunting. We did Pittsburgh last year, was a blast. We pack a lunch and have a great time. Riding the Canadian border was beautiful. You join a club for the OHRV sticker anyway. We can‘t run Pisgah because their gates are 55” and we squat at 63”. The Ride the Wilds in NH is awesome. It’s cool, driving into town for dinner or snacks and gas, my father and sister have their own SxS’s and their families and dogs always get together for a fall ride. Fall is the best riding time, especially with the leaves changing. Makes for some beautiful scenery.
We went and rented one 3 years ago (time flies,) and my wife really loved it, so I bought a used 2011 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 last year from an adult couple in Newport,NH so it was never in mid air or rolled over thankfully. It's only got about 800 miles on the clock. They put a nice stereo in it, so that's a nice addition. I just had my neighbor who loves working on them service it thoroughly with a new belt, changed all fluids, did front brakes, adjusted E brake, new winch, etc. She's ready to roll. The weekend we rented it up in Berlin, we stayed at the Gorham Motor Lodge as I've stayed there before in the big truck with oversized loads and knew it was a decent little room. Had lunch in Gorham and headed back up to Berlin to ride the trails. We are going to do it again soon, with ours this time. can't wait really...we both had a lot of fun that weekend just putting around. I agree on fall being the best time to ride. This one kind of generates a bit of heat from the engine that will come in handy once it cools down some. Might even put the doors back on when it's time to go to Berlin, LOL.
We could start our own thread on SxS’s. On mine, I put in heated seats and put Dynomat all over engine bay for noise and heat. The heat was still there, so I put a 4” exhaust fan from the engine bay, where you check the oil and directed it out the drivers side. Think we have over 3k miles on it now. Have had an AG plate on it, along with the required OHRV tags in it. We drive it around town on the back roads and it’s very useful to fuel it up. We are planning a day trip Monday and are thinking of borrowing my father’s, so we can take my daughter, as she can’t ride in ours as it’s a 2 up.
That was one of my next chores was to Dynomat the doghouse. My buddy in NC has a Honda ranger 500 that he claims he Dynomat'd his doghouse and it helped a lot, so I wasn't sure if it would or not...but an exhaust fan I can see would definitely help pull it out. Coming up on September now, we'll probably welcome a little heat.