Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Craigslist Treasure Trove Detroit/Cat/Deutz

Birken Vogt ยท 2021-11-24 20:34

Some Detroit, Cat and Deutz stuff, as well as other junk. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/east-saint-louis-shed-shop-clean-out/7403341439.html

Replies10
  1. #1Tyler d4c2021-11-24 22:04

    Its a good thing its 9 hours from me

  2. #2DMiller2021-11-25 19:32

    Is a shatshow to go into Alorton. Been there, WORKED at ESL Union Electric Headquarters, will NOT go back there!!!!

  3. #31693TA2021-11-25 23:56

    Especially at night? Such.a shame too. Grandma worked at Armour/Hormel Foods many years ultimately retiring there.

  4. #4DMiller2021-11-26 06:59

    I worked second shift!! Had to have IL state police escort repair crews into Alorton and Washington Park cities/disaster areas

  5. #5DMiller2021-11-26 09:21

    Worked with a couple of guys at the Nuke that came from ESL, White Guys too!! Born and raised in or around ESL when was not so bad. Alorton for many does not make sense as to the Name. ALCOA had a plant there MANY MANY Moons ago. ALuminum ORe TOwN is how it became. When ALCOA was looking to move (Ended up in Cape G MO now as NORANDA after being in TN) they were looking to cash in on Cheap Nuclear Power from Callaway Second Build Unit (Never Constructed), Politically became a beaten step child for St Louis Jeffeson City and IL Politicians as to paying to move workers (that didn't thus the need to move) or would not 'Allow' said move. ALCOA Moved anyway, left the major cities suffer and Unit 1 Callaway never got constructed(Unit 2 was built first). Would have used 75% of the energy from Callaway 1 for the Smelter Operations.

  6. #61693TA2021-11-26 11:15

    That whole city is a sad chapter in american history. Wasn't that way when I was younger. Used to jump a freight car just east of Bevo and ride over to the "Schilli" yard in ESL, get off there, and bum around without problems of any sort. Had friends in that area and our roaming expanse was quite unlimited in those days. Used to be exciting to ride over "Big Muddy" on an open tank, or hopper car as it's a long way down to the water. When you worked there were the trucks still red and black, or after Ameren got involved?

  7. #7DMiller2021-11-26 11:43

    Were Yellow just after the Dark Green days, still had one of those on the Yard. Had changed to White with Blue stripe soon after I arrived where the Pole and Materials Truck came in that way. AMORON took it over as the Company changed Logos and all went to crap in a hand basket. I worked there 20 months, then moved to Callaway and did not venture back. Will Meyers of Columbia IL was Head mechanic, Retired some years back, John Beaver the Headquarters Super, he moved to Alton IL offices as was from Brighton.

  8. #8crane operator2021-11-26 12:41

    Old engines in East St. Louis are quite a long drive from California. Did your search engine cast a pretty wide net? If there's something there you really want, I bet someone closer can make it happen.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-11-26 13:03

    I don't remember how I stumbled across it, I just thought someone on here might be interested. I have never been anywhere near the Mississippi let alone across it.

  10. #101693TA2021-11-26 14:21

    Grandpa retired from Monsanto in 1975 and we moved to Springfield, IL shortly afterward as the neighborhood was going to hell. I don't remember anything but the red and black vehicles myself. Seems like I'd seen green trucks in probably the early 80's, but can't say for certain when we were back visiting.