Terex crawler, they were bringing a scissorlift over the wall it looks like. There's a guy walking away on the ground out by where the jib lands beyond the scissor lift. He needs some lotto tickets. He was just kind of walking, then when the ball hits the ground, he really took off, but he was running the wrong way, angels looking out for him.
Surprised his computer allowed him to do that
You can see the scissor lift is hung up on the wall, I'm betting he was dragging it up the other side of the wall, trying to pull it out of the building (not shown in video) then when it cleared the wall it popped him (shock load) and it was all over with from there. A lot of the lmi's won't shut you off when over capacity and booming up, it only cuts out the a2b functions- booming down, cabling up, and tele out. So you can just keep booming up when the buzzer is going, it doesn't actually stop you from booming up. But the smart thing would have been to walk 20' closer.
I've been pushing the limits of this crane because I don't have room for my outriggers. Mainly flying a mini excavator around for the drillers so I just keep it low and as close as possible and when it starts feeling tipsy I tell them I'm not going anymore
I've only ran one crane with an lmi so I'm not too familiar. I used to looking at the chart on the door and measuring things out. And when the outriggers start lifting then it's a little too heavy
All the manual's clearly state that a lmi is intended as only a "aid" to the operator. The chart is still what counts. And where most get in trouble is the lmi can't account for a sudden increase in load, just like when that scissor lift falls off the top of the wall. I did notice in your other threads pictures that you were running short outriggers, will your counterweight clear if you try to swing 360?
I've only been able to get 180 plus a little till my counter weight hits the wall. Even in this picture I had about an inch of clearance on the counter weight and the fair lead barley scraped on the front. The crane being taken apart in the background was the crane that I ran with an lmi
Use your chart on rubber,what ever you do with short side outriggers just takes the rock n roll away. With conventionals like this there is a lot left up to the operator. Developing reaction to that feel in the the seat is crucial,possibly a dangerous experiment until you have it mastered.Its hard to comment on stuff like this from seeing a video soft ground under the loaded track could put the lift way out of radius but, feel in the seat might have changed the outcome of this incident,but thats always counteracted by the responsibility on the operator of bailing on the lift in mid stream,personel in the the imediate area, destroying a scissor lift.
I use the rubber chart unless I'm just over the rear then I look at the regular chart
Wonder if he was swinging or booming. A lot of those crawlers are like a truck mount in that the chart is better directly in line with the tracks then over the side. Especially strong directly over the end of the track. All it takes is a slew pot that's off on the slew degrees and you can get yourself into trouble.
After watching that a few more times it really looks to me like he just kept feeding it boom till it went. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have an Lmi. Or lmi was in setup/rigging mode. To me it looks like if he would have grabbed a whole handful of cable down at the first sign of trouble he'd have saved it. But I'm a long ways away.
One nice feature of a friction crane is you can make things go down really fast
Has anyone heard the Actual cause of this incident ? Any results of investigation?
We maybe had another boom truck get into the powerlines here in Idaho. I'm starting to think crane accident reporting is about as garbled as the typical aircraft incident reporting, clueless. All I heard on the local media was "POWER WAS SHUT DOWN FOR SEVERAL HOURS WHEN A TRUCK WITH A BOOM HIT A POWERLINE"
Yea that is the same everywhere. People reporting about things they have no knowledge of and sure make it hard to understand what really happened. I like how so many times there is a report that says "bulldozer" and you look at the picture next to the article and there is a front end loader there!
Looks like he's way out of the load chart. Boom didn't collapse till it hit the ground lol
How about reporting of the latest "unarmed black man shot by police" for holding a "metal pipe", then it became a "welding torch" which was getting closer, but then a "shower head". Two or three days later and you can't figure out that it's not a shower head? It was obviously a propane cylinder fitting, either a propane torch or a coleman stove adapter.
Ya got to know when to say No ! Aint gonna do that . Move the crane closer to the lift .
Good point Delmer ! Don't know what's up with the procedure today ? In the 1970's a Cop carried a revolver pistol , night stick and a shot gun in the car . If a feller got a little rowdy he got thumped on the head with the night stick . Today ........ Well .......It's all about safety .
http://m.vertikal.net/index.php?id=...=30555&cHash=14b4422913288f2dab9996848cea1243 Another incident, same site.
Yes I saw that on the vertical sight. I see the same a&& hat that comments all the time went on one of his usual rants like most safety nazis, what he failed to mention was that no one was injured, that could possibly be because they where working safely. If the eng. hitch point failed nothing short of ex ray on every one or staying home would have prevented the accident from happening. And the fact that nobody was hurt, most likely is due to safe work practices. He says there's no such thing as an accident, to avoid "incidents" as he says. We would as humans have to either be perfect or as I stated earlier " stay at home, and risk coronary disease " The good lord only made one perfect human and look what we did to him, we nailed him to a cross.
That's funny in the reporters video "and look at all these workers working behind me on these big panel's. If one of these should fall they could be hurt, so its a very dangerous situation." Or something like that. Who the he$% does he think is going to hook up the panels and weld them in place? The precast assembler fairies? Isn't the first video I've seen of a imbed failing. It could have been the lifter improperly seated. Could have been the pin shear. Unfortunately it was on the same site as a earlier bad accident, so now everybody there is gun shy and it feels like a unlucky site. I've been around job sites like that, where nothing goes right or works out the way things should. I've got a guy who tried twice to get me up to springfield to do work for his company. It's about a hour and a half away from home base for me, and I do some work up there.(but there's other crane companies there). I actually haven't been able to do any work for this company, because both times he tried to use me, I broke down. It's pretty unusual for me to not make a job, I try to keep my stuff running, but 1st time I lost a engine on the way up there, and I don't remember what went wrong the second time, but he never tried me a third time. It stinks but that's the way it goes sometimes. I consider him my "unlucky" customer.
I've been following that site for a few years and he often pops up with the exact same quoted text. What's laughable is that the first step he thinks we should take is to stop using the term "accident." Like that's going to make a difference. Despite our best intentions, accidents do sometimes happen. That's why we have exclusion zones. That's why we don't lift over people. In this case, the controls were effective, because nobody was hurt.
I have seen a lift button break. This one had a twisted connector that jambed against the side of the recess and snapped. It could be easily seen twisted on a lift video that was being filmed. It was still on the ground and luckily never fell. If the connector is twisted and no one notices when starting to tighten up it can happen, although very rarely. These connectors have also lifted the panels a number of times before they get to the job site. Off the mold. Into the yard, on to the truck. Just saying, there is lots of opportunity for damage before the panels get to the job. The guys running away was after the fact. Had they been under the load there would be no running away. Incidentally the precast company stills uses that video in there "how to" rigging instructions and classes.