Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane Mishaps

DrJim ยท 2011-03-07 22:25

This one is for Atco: T2, T3, T4, etc--they're everywhere! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKLNmj7-ods&feature=related

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies25
  1. #1bob b2011-03-07 22:31

    like i always say, stay out of the kill zone.

  2. #2willie592011-03-07 22:40

    When cranes go down...not pretty.

  3. #3Tiny2011-03-08 13:26

    I hope this don't sound wrong but now that we see the crashes , How do we prevent all of those overturned machines .....And did anyone notice that they were all hydraulic ???

  4. #4Lugghead2011-03-08 14:12

    let's see......make sure that little bubble is INSIDE the circle.......make sure the LMI is programmed for the proper configuration that you are using....ohh yeah......DON'T turn the key!!! I did notice that there were a 'few' where they were working with 'arborists' and lifting out of water......KNOW the weight of the LOAD!!

  5. #5qball2011-03-09 16:57

    this is why i hate hydro-rigs. a friction rig can usually save itself if things go all gravity-y. hydro=stuck to your load.

  6. #6classictruckman2011-03-12 10:40

    Hey now arborsits aren't to blame, idiots are, there are plenty of idiots in every industry.

  7. #7classictruckman2011-03-16 21:29

    BTW Lugghead where were the Arborists in that video, I didn't see 1. some cranes near trees, but all on construction sites, not tree distruction sites. And I only saw one lifting out of the water and it was a boat so he should have known the weight, if it was heavier then he should have lifted it a couple of inches, waited for the water to drain, picked it a couple more, wait, picked it a couple more, etc. At least thats what a real operator would do, doesn't seem like a real operator though.

  8. #8liebherr11602011-04-11 20:46

    Holy Crap!! The one at the 42second mark ... three op's and myself got that girl back on all fours..It happened in down town Kitchener,Ontario..Guy running it was a good guy...that one sucked..Thankfully though no one injured ..

  9. #9muzy2011-04-12 16:03

    Hey Liebherr1160, I looked at the one at 42 second mark. Question.... What was on the hook. Nice hole it made. muzy

  10. #10liebherr11602011-04-12 18:20

    Was trying to set a transformer in a vault in what maybe/is the eventual sidewalk..heavy street and service reconstruction at the time It was bad ground that got the guy..everything sank at the worst possible point.. As luck would have it ..the building that the unit went through ..they work 4-10's, monday through thursday..this happened on a friday..

  11. #11mantirig2011-04-23 00:15

    I got some pic's of a 3900s2 with max boom and jib that went over in a parking garage in 04. the only guy hurt got a cut on his arm when he jumped the heck out the way. I'm a newby so I will post the pic's at a later date. What I was told is that they picked up 8,000lbs. of rebar and started booming down and the operator didn't use the e-brake and the boom started running away and away and away. I had run the same crane a year before and it did have a very quick boom. I paid attention to my elders and used the e-brake when I ran it.

  12. #12rare ss2011-04-23 20:32

    http://youtu.be/4OOg7vL3rNY got this one through on an email awhile ago.. lucky noone was killed

  13. #13rare ss2011-04-23 20:39

    http://youtu.be/sTZqlb46oHQ how not to sling a load

  14. #14classictruckman2011-04-23 20:57

    Also not how to sling a load: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRILH4mNjIo&playnext=1&list=PL7A0C40E8DC053F24

  15. #15gostr8r2011-06-21 17:42

    Pretty much all squirt can rigs. The answer to the question of how can we prevent these accidents isn't a cut and dry statement. A lack of training, and more than that, a lack of a serious attitude about the cranes capabilities and limitations when an operator say's "NO more!' leaves us with this kind of results. Many want to push, argue, reason, second guess and beg the reluctant operator to get the lift over with and the crane off rent asap. So operator error is ultimately often the cause, poor set up is way too common and is very often the reason as well. There can be below ground conditions unknown to the operator, but lied about when the op' asked the rental customer, or a rigger or lift superintendent not giving the correct load weights is a possibility, plus being a few feet short when they try to set the load and then are convinced that it's just a 'tiny bit further'. I've seen wind, sudden stops and violent swinging causing side loads do this kind of destruction too. Sooooo many reasons, and no one answer to stop the accidents. More and better training is a start, but it needs to also include the riggers, signalmen, and lift super's that make the decisions, to go or not to go, before the operator pulls the levers.

  16. #16Donns2011-06-26 08:00

    rare ss; I'll bet Curragh had a few words to say to whomever decided to save time and let their Marion 8200 Boom down with a Crane instead of rigging it so the machine could let it down. At least when the machine lets it's own Boom down you have at least 8 brakes to hold it(assuming they used both drums like they should) Over the years I've raised and lowered a few Dragline Booms and it's always a nerve wracking job.

  17. #17gostr8r2011-06-26 08:53

    Great point Donns! It looks like it trashed the Transi-Lift too. The forward crawler operator on the Lampson rig must have left a pile of poo in his seat after the Marion head section landed right over his cab. Plus the Lampson's main boom lacing were flying everywhere as it fell back over the drawworks operator's station too.

  18. #18DrJim2011-06-30 23:07

    Uh. . oh. Ever had this happen? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCJzO3w7_M

  19. #19gostr8r2011-07-01 07:19

    DrJim, I found the rodent that distracted the operator! http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our critters at home/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16 She's really sweet and has learned her lesson since then. LOL!

  20. #20Donns2011-07-01 08:31

    Did you ever see the pictures (also from an Australian job) where they dropped the roof of a Dragline when they were setting it? We normally built the roof complete or maybe in 2 pieces depending on the Dragline design, and picked it with a crane on either side and walked it over the Dragline rotating frame, after all the deck machinery was on, and set it on the vertical columns. These roofs normally had the overhead cranes in stalled and all the lighting - anything you could stick on while it was on the ground. On this job the crane on the left lost it's boom when the roof was about half way on. The roof came down on some really expensive Generators and other stuff. Really bad day at work. I think I last saw those pics on Crane Accident.com or somewhere like that. (I wasn't on that job - I think I was in Turkey putting one up when that happened or maybe back home in South Africa - can't remember)

  21. #21gostr8r2011-07-01 09:00

    Don't remember that one but would like to see the photos! I'll check back in at craneaccidents.com It's too bad that such a big lift, with such a careful placement and in a tandem lift situation, was ever allowed to get out of control! My gut feeling tells me it smells like a lack of complete planning or an oversight somewhere.

  22. #22Donns2011-07-01 11:33

    I heard al sorts of stories about that accident but never knew just what to believe. A friend I know was there that day but wasn't sure about the details. He thougt that the operator on the R side either swung or boomed down and pushed the roof into the Boom on the left side. Somebody else said it was wind. At the end it probably came down to somebody not watching what they were doing. It's a pretty simple lift if done right. Just line up the 2 cranes so you don't need to steer while moving, lift over the side and hold it about 40 feet in the air and walk both cranes ahead together. Not a lot of weight for a couple of 4100s but I think the one that lost its boom was a 3900 or 4000, been a long time since I looked at those pics. I've put roofs on with two 3900s before and even smaller than that.

  23. #23DrJim2011-07-03 23:15

    Another example of a bad day for several people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlcDTByGyg

  24. #24DrJim2011-07-03 23:33

    And yet another crane takes a dive into the drink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5GY6Efkyjo&NR=1

  25. #25Donns2011-07-04 07:07

    That's a good video of the crane taking a dive, DrJim. I've seen it but didn't have the link - thanks. I may stick that into one of my safety classes. There are lots of really good ones out there. I need to dig through some of my OOPPS pictures and see what I have. Mostly they are of large draglines and shovels, some laying upside down.