Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane Operator or Construction Equipment Operator?

DustyD ยท 2012-10-25 12:06

Hello everyone, I am near Sacramento, CA. I am applying for an apprenticeship program and I must choose one, but I don;t know much about these except for the basic descriptions they give in the application forms. If you had to choose one route, which one would you choose and why? If you were new to Heavy equipment operating, how would you go about figuring out which training you would apply for? Visit job sites and ask operators these questions? Any websites that are good at supplying employment information, expected pay, and how a typical day would differ between these two jobs? Thanks for any input. Dusty

Replies13
  1. #1DustyD2012-10-25 12:25

    oops... I mean't Crane operator...

  2. #2joispoi2012-10-25 13:04

    A good crane operator makes good money. It's a huge responsibility and it can be a boring job at times with lots of waiting for crews to both rig and then secure whatever it is that you're hoisting.

  3. #3heavylift2012-10-25 13:22

    Usually more equipment operator jobs than crane jobs. Pay, it's the same for me. But this year I have been 50/50 between the two. But usually it's more heavy equipment than crane. I've set in a crane for months and just pick a few things a week. Sometimes nothing. Then there is the dreaded cell phone ban in places, so you stuck twiddling you thumbs all day. Good luck in your decision.

  4. #4CM19952012-10-25 19:21

    Fixed

  5. #5Buckethead2012-10-26 15:30

    Which one do you want to do more? Because that is the one you should apply for.

  6. #6DustyD2012-10-27 02:18

    I don't know yet... that's what I'm trying to figure out.

  7. #7rabia2012-11-12 06:49

    Crane operator mean you are specialized in just crane but construction equipment operator mean specialized in other equipment as well. It is more diversified job. So in my point of view construction equipment operator is a better option. As in heavy equipment only crane is not included but there are many other machinery also included.

  8. #8robin yates uk2012-11-12 07:18

    the static crane operator has a much more relaxed life than a mobile crane operator,if you like to be on your own and have lots of patience, go for the static crane.Plant operators have many options open to them, civil engineering, muck shifting, opencast, housing, roads, a long list. Go for what you like and good luck

  9. #9Dozerboy2012-11-12 11:28

    Both I love playing in the dirt, but should have jumped on the chance to run cranes when I had the chance.

  10. #10ddigger2012-11-12 15:55

    Dusty I live right up the road from you (Penryn), whos apprentice program are you trying to get into. I have been in local #3 operating engineers for the last 28yrs, and have been an owner operator with an excavator since 1989 so I have worked for or know nearly all of our local contractors. I you would like to pm me your number I would be happy to talk with you. Best of luck.

  11. #11Tiny2012-11-12 17:35

    Dusty , I work for a company that keeps crane operators year round . With that being said , The ones they keep year round can run about anything on the job . As an example , We were moving a crane in to job that needed some site prep ( a level area to build the crane ) and the contractor told us that all his guys are tied up until after dinner but we were welcome to use his excavator . Our operator climbed in and in a few minutes we were putting the crane together . I don't want to see you get pigeon holed in to one or the other . Around here the guy's that can do some of everything seem to stay busy (Making money)

  12. #12DustyD2012-11-12 18:25

    Thanks for the input guys. Tiny, I am considering applying for the Local 3 Union apprenticeship and they only allow you to choose one. I am leaning toward joining the union, but I haven't even knocked on a few doors or local construction companies and talked to them yet... still learning quite a bit about this industry.

  13. #13Buckethead2012-11-18 12:37

    That couldn't hurt! You should try every avenue. You can still apply to the apprentice program when you make up your mind re: cranes or dirt. I never heard of a separate apprentice program for cranes, around here it's just dirt.