Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane safety – anyone seen this video?

ASEyles · 2012-09-27 08:40

Hello all, Has anyone seen the irresponsible behavior in this video ? Don't know how high that boom is but it doesn't look like a good idea. What do you, the experts, think? Best wishes, Abdullah Eyles Ankara, Turkey A bit about myself: I'm new to the Forum, a has-been Electronic Engineer with fond love for all types of construction equipment. I enjoy reading about technical subjects in general.

Replies9
  1. #1trucker12012-09-27 10:22

    Why do you think it is irresponsible to have camera mounted on the ball?? Gives a great bird's eye view. Did you really think there was someone holding onto the line with one hand and the camera with the other? I can remember the day when it was common practice to ride the ball up first thing in the morning, and down last thing at night. Not saying it was a smart thnig to do, but it was done. George

  2. #2Tiny2012-09-27 19:51

    Moving a mobile like that is pretty common place . The old 268 Link Belt the company had was moved like that a bunch . Not something you want a rookie doing .

  3. #3gostr8r2012-09-29 16:07

    It might have been where the book said to put it for travel with that much stick. We don’t know since there are many variables. The GOPRO camera fish eye lens puts a curved and distorted look to it from that far a way. My opinion is that the ball moved around very little, for the moves that he made, so I would say the driver did a smooth job of it. Nice little clip.

  4. #4dbl6122012-09-29 18:43

    had to be smooth oiler and a perfect travel road for that much stick to move the camera so little. would love to work on a site prepared like that. dealing with site supervision is such a chore these days. Quote "whats the problem,its an all-terrain crane isn't it"

  5. #5gostr8r2012-10-01 20:27

    I think that supervision sees their 'end of the project bonus money' getting spent when they see ground prep on their sites. It’s like they are paying for it them selves.

  6. #6Hoister2012-10-08 09:34

    Can't even count the times I've heard " What do you mean you can't drive through that with 200k lbs of counterweight on?"...... That meaning swamp. It just keeps getting worse as the older guys keep retiring.

  7. #7Donns2012-10-10 08:16

    Iyi Gunlar Abdullah Bey; Welcome to the formum. I didn't find an attached video?? I always like to see any videos related to safety and especially Crane safety. I teach safety as a business in addition to my consulting business. (I'm and MSHA, OSHA Construction and OSHA Maritime certified safety instructor plus I teach Aviation Safety as part of my Flight instruction courses. A bit about myself - I'm an old Dragline builder (as in TKI at Yatagan and Kutahya.) (Sorry about the lack of Turkish letters - I know my computer will do it but I'm just to lazy to find out how today). Used to have an office on Ataturk Cd. Up the street a ways from the old Kent Hotel. Still have friends at TKI and a friend who owns a few Cement Pump trucks in Istanbul. If you find the link to that video please send it along. Thanks.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2012-10-12 13:41

    Donns The link is found by clicking on the blue text that says "in this video" in the opening post. It links to youtube, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nncyb4cLcSc

  9. #9BridgeCraneJen2012-10-12 16:06

    That's awesome! Where do you teach now?