Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane “self-inspection”

ichudov ยท 2017-08-20 12:06

I have a Grove RT60S crane. I would like to conduct my own inspection of it, kind of like truck pre-trip inspection. Is there a checklist of what I am supposed to do to properly inspect it. Also I have a bunch of lights that do not work, would that make the crane fail an actual inspection. Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1Tradesman2017-08-20 12:21

    here are the sheets I use. in my experience most crane shops have something similar

  2. #2Tradesman2017-08-20 12:28

    let me know if you get these open. I thought I was sending them as pictures but it sent them as files. if anyone else can convert them to pictures feel free.

  3. #3ichudov2017-08-20 12:44

    How do you check the SUPERSTRUCTURE SWING bearing? The PDF files that you uploaded are fine, I saved them. Thanks

  4. #4Tradesman2017-08-20 13:06

    I've heard it explained it's beyond my skills. I have it checked at my crane shop.

  5. #5ichudov2017-08-20 13:31

    I also found out that my 1/2" wire rope is bird caged. The birdcage is on the end of the rope opposite to the hook, only opens up when I unspool most of the rope. Do I need to buy a new wire rope? Any way to fix it? I will take some pictures soon. The reason for this thread is that in the last month I used my crane a lot and close to capacities. I never abused it or shock loaded it.

  6. #6crane operator2017-08-20 14:36

    The easiest way to check the swing bearing is to boom up to max boom angle, and bump the lever into boom down, then boom up again. Just a little bit of movement, not big hard jerks. If the swing bearing is really bad, you will feel the rock/ slop in the bearing. They can measure this with a dial indicator, between the upper and lower carrier, right off the swing gear, at the back of the superstructure. There is a spec measurement, crane specific, that it should fall under. That said, the sloppiest old grove I have ever been in, still was easily within spec. If you don't feel it rock back and forth heavily in the bearing you will be fine. Unless it is absolutely horrible, it should pass that part. A third party crane inspection, should be between $300-$600. My insurance company requires a annual 3rd party. OSHA requires a annual inspection, by a "competent" person, and you should have a copy of it with you in the cab. Some jobsites now require a copy of that and my daily inspections, before being on their sites. The birdcage will fail the crane inspection. A third party can't put your crane out of service, he can just make recommendations. He marks on the paper that the cable is bird caged, its up to you how to fix it. There is no real way to fix it, except to replace the cable. If it is close enough to the "becket" that is in the winch drum, you could cut off the cable between that ending and the birdcage, and reinstall the cable, if that doesn't make you too short of cable. I had a crane "fail" its annual, because the "N" in one of the danger stickers had been scuffed off. His comment was that a full sticker kit for the crane was only a couple hundred bucks, and it gave him something to write up, so that they know that he actually did inspect the crane. That inspector hasn't been back to my shop.

  7. #7rodcap2017-08-22 22:05

    The link below is supplied for all Inspection(Daily, Monthly, Annual. Codes Included). It's a years worth of Inspection Forms. https://www.manitowoccranes.com/~/m...tion Lubrication Service Log 24201.pdf?la=en

  8. #8rodcap2017-08-22 22:20

    I've tested the allowable tolerances on Tadano, Galion and Broderson. A Dial Indicator base is placed on the lower sing bearing mounting surface. The pin on the Dial is placed on the upper swing bearing mounting surface. The manufacturer will state at what boom angles are used in checking for allowable tolerances. Each manufacturer will have a specific set of allowabl e tolerances for each machine model. Contact your Grove dealer for this procedure.

  9. #9Natman2017-08-23 09:30

    I've heard of crane outfits doing their own in house annual inspections, and have talked over the possibility of doing so myself with a buddy also in the business in another state. I understand the third party requirement in some cases, I am free of that as far as I know. No specific request from my insurance company anyway. My buddy and I have considered splitting the cost of having some official looking stickers printed up, with an official sounding company name, "INTERMOUNTAIN CRANE INSPECTION", is one I came up with, and of course printing out the proper forms for a thorough "in house" inspection paper trail. He insists he know his 3 boom trucks better then anyone else, so is eminently qualified. I have done my own FAA annual inspections on my experimental category airplanes for 30+ years, so this would not be new territory for me. I take it seriously, and it would not be a scam. The type of work I do, I get asked for an annual paperwork maybe once or twice a year, some years not at all. It is a cursory request, and I'm sure my INTERMOUNTAIN CRANE INSPECTION logo would pass the test. My National manual spells out the procedure for checking the play, a certain allowable amount, measured with X amount of boom extended horizontal, and rotated 190 degrees and measured again. It's not the money for the inspection for me, it's the hassle and time of driving it 150 miles to Salt Lake, (no one closer, in the boonies here) leaving it there while driving back in my TOAD, and then a couple days later repeating the process. I was charged a bit over $600.00 last year. Then, worst of all, a day later I get a call from the shop that carried out the inspection, asking me to look for a Dewalt cordless impact tool, left somewhere on my crane. I found it, it had been left on top my hydraulic tank, and luckily it had jostled down into a secure location, it could just have easily jostled the other direction and gone through someone's windshield going the interstate. I sent it back to them as requested, it cost me $10.00 postage, a week later I got a letter from them. It was a copy (another) of my inspection, no check for $10.00. I didn't bother to ask them to be reimbursed when I mailed it back, just kind of figured, assumed, I would be, nope! I am currently almost out of inspection, but am not going back there, screw 'em. Of course any kind of accident ending in a lawsuit, ending with a lawyer standing up in court and tearing into INTERMOUNTAIN CRANE INSPECTION could get ugly, but then again, a good blood sucker can always find something to hang their hat on.

  10. #10ichudov2017-08-23 23:40

    OK, I found the bad place in the wire rope. It is not bird caging, but more like wire rope was CRUSHED. It occurred just where the wire rope changes spooling direction after the first full layer. I am attaching a couple of picture. I want to know if I need, or do not need to, replace the wire rope.

  11. #11crane operator2017-08-24 07:41

    It would not pass my personal inspection, nor a second party inspection. New cable would be under $1,000, (I just bought 500' this summer- $1195 to my door) if it was a hydraulic hose, you'd replace it. You'd hate to see it hang up on a sheeve, if you were just running ball, and its was always under 2 more layers of cable, it wouldn't be a problem, but you mostly have a 4 part in don't you?

  12. #12ichudov2017-08-24 08:38

    Thanks. I will replace it. The rope that I have is also a bit too short. I have a question however. How did this crushing happen and how to prevent it from re-occurring with new wire rope?

  13. #13Tradesman2017-08-24 11:33

    Because its damaged on one side It looks like it was maybe pinched between the boom head and the sheave.