What would be the minimum crane size to lift commercial vehicles weight 18,500 lbs max boom swing should be 40ft basically lift off drop-deck put on yard. Ground will be dirt basically a farm field. If there is a better a better piece of equipment to do this please suggest. Money is a factor looking for the cheapest safest piece of equipment. Thanks
forklift
Earthen ramp
My thoughts as well ichudov. It works every time , even on dead equipment you have to drag off the trailer . Could use crane or fork lift . We also have just used a farm tractor with loader to dig in a ramp about 2 foot deep . Then put spoil on top of the ground behind the trailer deck . Have the truck driver back in to it and unload equipment like you own the place .
Equipment would not be operable. So choice looks like crane are forklift. I think forklift capable of picking 18klbs will be a lot more expensive than crane. Your thoughts thanks
A forklift is much more useful in general use, than a crane. Both are generally pricey to own and operate. You would need a 30,000 forklift (rated so at 24 inch load center) to lift trucks from a flatbed. Just to drag trucks off of step deck trailers once in a while, neither is really necessary.
Use your rt60s. Set it on outriggers, pick the load up, drive semi away, lower load to about 1' off the ground, raise your outriggers up and drive away. Your crane will do 17500 at a 15' radius on rubber. Get your load in to a 12' radius and you'll be fine. I would only do this on completely level ground and I would have my outriggers about 3-4'' off the ground in case a tire blows.
Yeah Cgm , If you are set on lifting it off the trailer try calling local crane guy or wrecker service in your area . Give them the low down details ahead of time and I'm sure they can help you with it . Probably be the quickest way .
I'm off in left field. Thought ichudov started the thread. If your gonna do this quite frequently I'd look into an older 30t rt crane. Those have pretty good on rubber charts.
The rt crane looks good, I know a wrecker will lift it off trailer but can a wrecker rotate. I would be unloading often. Thanks for the help fellas
That rt crane used is over 60k I'm looking to be around no more than 50k
No worries Knepptune ... I knew what you were getting at . My Dad would take the Ford RT to unload Cgm's trailer without any question . Now granted we pop a front spindle now & then but can have it back in action within the hour with our crackerjack field wrench team . Dad's kind of a wild man ....... I need to keep a closer eye on him . HeavyEquipmentForums
Would't you need a big honking H type spreader bar to lift trucks without damage with a crane?
You could do it with 2 ten ft spreaders.
Your dad too? They just grew up back when men were men and women were proud of them.
Aint that the truth Knepptune , well said my friend . The Old man get's a little wild on equipment at times but gets the job done . Got to love him for it .:salute ............. And keep an eye on him
I am the wild one in the family, the rest of them has desk jobs.
Buy and old Cat 988A wheel loader. Less than $20,000 and will pickup the moon.