Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane winch with water contamination

pajibson ยท 2017-01-12 11:06

This was left outside awaiting parts for several months and has quite a bit of water in the drum. Other than simply draining and refilling several times anybody have any other ideas on best way to get all the water out? Its a Terex 7.5t(LRT110) crane although some of the badging says its a Lorain

Replies9
  1. #1fast_st2017-01-12 11:36

    Well, I'm guessing you don't want to remove the winch from the unit? If you remove it and get it someplace warm, about 250F for a day it should dry out Or maybe just turning it up on end? Freezing sounds like a bad thing for that unit. Not sure if there are any drains? might want to open it all up to check for rust.

  2. #2pajibson2017-01-12 11:45

    I guess I should've clarified. The brake seal on it failed, upon tear down additional parts that needed replacement were identified and the unit put out side for a few months until the new parts arrived. So now I have it back together and drained. I took enough out water out that I'm thinking I need to do a little more than simply refilling it.

  3. #3crane operator2017-01-12 13:13

    I think slosh in and empty it a couple times with diesel or atf as a washing agent, should get most of the water out. Air line antifreeze afterwards if you wanted to be sure there was no moisture. Is there water in just the brake chamber, hydraulic motors (from having lines unhooked), or the whole gearbox (main bearings, gear drives)?

  4. #4pajibson2017-01-12 13:24

    The motor lines were never unhooked I did unhook the brake line but it was capped off, and the brake is what I just rebuilt so that should be good. yeah its in the main gearbox, so planetaries & bearings. I was wondering about diesel and spin it around once or twice, drain & repeat as necessary.

  5. #5fast_st2017-01-12 13:32

    Maybe a couple gallons of alcohol?

  6. #6crane operator2017-01-12 14:04

    Let's hope the bearings weren't rusting the whole time , I'd probably wash it with the diesel, and then fill it with gear oil (it is a oil filled gear case right?). I don't think I would use the alcohol or brake line antifreeze, if it seems like you got most of the water out.

  7. #7pajibson2017-01-12 14:38

    Alright Crane operator & fast I think I'm going to go with diesel a few times and then refill with 80/90 (yes thats what it calls for) thank you both for the help.

  8. #8DK882017-01-12 19:33

    if the sprag was left in id be replacing it..not worth risking

  9. #9old-iron-habit2017-01-12 20:00

    I can't see any serious harm to hard surfaced gears in a few months. Some surface rust perhaps but not deep pitting yet. Can you see the gears and bearings? Was the water in it deep enough to reach the bearings? Many years ago on a family logging job when I was a kid, I started the old Garret skidder one morning and remembered I had not checked the oil. I shut it off and the engine oil was milky white. Tests showed some degenerate had dumped paint in it. At a local engine rebuilders advice we drained it and dumped 4 quarts of #2 fuel with one quart of oil, ran it for 30 seconds at a idle and drained it. We did it twice more running it a minute and then 5 minutes. We then refilled with all oil and ran it for many years again. I might try the same with yours but you probably don't need to do it three tiimes. The bit of oil enhances the lubrication of the diesel fuel.