Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cranes and Shovels– converted to load logs

Contract Logger ยท 2010-01-18 22:40

Post Your Pics of Loading Logs- with converted crane equipment. I know you have em'!

Replies44
  1. #1Wolf2010-01-18 22:55

    that's a pretty big log he's lifting. redwood? bout how old was the tree, do you think. awesome pics.

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-01-18 22:59

    LOL, these pics are much older than I am. Got them from old books. I just love the pics, and figured you guys would as well.

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-01-18 23:05

    Couple more pics.

  4. #4Contract Logger2010-01-19 00:46

    Some neat conversions here.

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-01-20 01:54

    Logging Equipment.

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-01-20 01:59

    More.

  7. #7Wawrecker2010-01-20 11:14

    I was lucky enough in 1987 to do a ride along with my Father inlaw in his log truck out of Enumclaw Wa. They were loading with a rubber tire Link belt like the one you posted with the elevated cab. Father inlaw told me to stay in the cab while loading as the link belt cable loader had a tendency to "Drop" the boom sudenly with out warning on the first few loads of the day, never saw it happen though. Seeing that machine operate in the dark of the morning reminds me of a creature from a Tim Burton cartoon.

  8. #8Contract Logger2010-01-20 23:27

    The rubber carriers were incredibly popular. Here's a Northwest.

  9. #9Contract Logger2010-01-21 00:53

    Couple of Bucyrus-Erie machines.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2010-01-21 22:06

    Those are some good looking old machines. There are some pretty fancy all hydraulic jobs out there now, and I bet those old cable rigs could outload most of them, but it took a much better operator in the seat. Nearly anyone can look like a hero with a fancy new rig.

  11. #11Contract Logger2010-03-13 21:09

    Link-Belt LS-98 with Albin Boom on her.

  12. #12DoubleBitTimber2010-03-27 18:12

    I have some pictures of my grandpa's gas-power donkey loading logs somewhere. I'll find them and run them through the scanner!

  13. #13trakloader2010-03-28 19:35

    Sutherlin Machine Works was the big name in conversion parts to build log loaders from cranes. They made many of the high cabs you see in the pictures.

  14. #14Vigilant2011-01-14 17:36

    My memory isn't the greatest, but I don't recall seeing any elevated cabs on log shovels back in my younger days. I can sure see the advantage. Again, we left Vail in June of 1972. Weyco did a noise reduction project on all their shovels at Vail in about 1970. One old operator told my dad that after a couple days of the newly reduced cab noise, for the first time in years, he could hear the rain hitting his roof at night. It wasn't just running those old relics that required experience. You also had to know how to nurse 'em along and keep 'em plugging away, often using simple remedies like vinegar and baby powder.

  15. #15spitzair2011-01-14 19:29

    Thanks for the great pictures! I don't have anything great like that, but what I do have are these ones of a big crane that's sitting on a dryland sort up in Stewart BC right next to the ocean. They float booms of logs over to it and it picks them up out of the water and lays them where the loaders can get them. I don't have any pics of it operating as it was too dark when I saw it working... This thing could lift a very impressive pile of logs!

  16. #16spitzair2011-01-14 19:31

    A few more...

  17. #17Vigilant2011-01-14 22:57

    The old Loggers' Congress handbooks had a wealth of great equipment photos.

  18. #18Rusty Grapple2011-10-14 01:06

    Manitowoc Crawler with Young Heel-Boom This thread has been a little neglected lately, so here's one that fits- This machine sat at the Port of Everett, Washington for many years. I swung by and took pics for the last time in 2001. These 3 B&W's were among those taken that day. A couple weeks later I was in the Marysville area again and stopped off here with a couple of fresh rolls of 800 speed 35mm thinking I'd get 30 or 40 detail pics of this gem for a future possible 1/25 scale modeling project. It was not to be- as so often happens, that short time was all it took for the scrappers to leave a big black spot. Sometimes 'Black and White' just gets it better somehow. R.I.P big girl. No doubt you earned place in the big timber many times over....

  19. #19estaked2011-10-14 16:00

    Those are some cool old loaders, thanks for sharing.

  20. #20isx5252011-10-14 20:56

    was that shovel at the old bay wood yard ? just guessing because I see a viaduct in the background

  21. #21Rusty Grapple2011-10-14 21:37

    I'm not sure- that yard had been long-closed when I was in there. It's on the North end, just West of the old pulp millsite, and South of the Miller-Shingle yard, on the other (Everett) side of the river there. You probably saw her working at some point!

  22. #22isx5252011-10-14 21:52

    yup,that WAS bay wood.only hauled a few loads in there about 1984 (they were handling xport for BN/Plum Creek)

  23. #23oregon96pd2012-08-27 00:59

    sorry about the crummy pictures, taken with my camera and i didnt know if someone on the property was welcome or not..

  24. #24Sidney432012-08-27 02:01

    My dad had a Lima truck mounted crane just about identical to the second photo on the first page. Young heel boom and a large grapple, but not sure of the make right now. Unfortunately, the only photos we have of it are poor quality color shots that would not reproduce well. The engine was a Cummins 175 as I recall, that was hooked to a torque converter and it was underpowered. A large log would stall the engine and those would have to be loaded one end at a time. This was when there was still some pretty good sized Sugar Pine and Doug Fir in Northern California. The whole design had problems and it constantly broke hook rollers and this caused a lot of down time. The breakage continued even when they installed double rollers on the front as originally came on the rear of the machine. He traded that crane in on a Northwest Timbermaster with the elevated cab, which was on tracks. As others have said, the problem was getting good operators and most of them preferred to do crane work on construction where the work was closer to home and not so dirty. He finally gave up on cable cranes and loaded with a Cat 966.

  25. #25spitzair2012-08-31 13:27

    I found this big ugly monster a number of years ago north of Pemberton BC, looks to me like some converted crane... That's all I know about it...

  26. #26DerelictTexture2012-09-01 03:28

    This machine is still sitting on the property in Wood bay. There is a crane boom in the grass a few yards away marked as "Marion"...so I guess we'll go with that

  27. #27John Anderson2012-10-17 00:16

    Manitowoc 4600?

  28. #28spitzair2012-10-18 00:24

    Not sure on the model but it definitely is a Manitowoc... Watched it work one evening, was too dark for pictures but it would lift what looked like a whole truckload out of the water! Very neat to see...

  29. #29Born2clearcut2012-10-19 09:53

    1958 Harris Creek Not the best pictures . I don't know what this machine is but it looks like some kind of crane conversion. Must of really sucked not being able to heel the logs

  30. #30DerelictTexture2012-10-19 10:29

    After you scan the original prints, you can run the digital image through any simple/free photo edit program ( free download "Picasa" or similar ) then you can "brighten" and add "contrast" the old pictures. These fantastic images would really look good after that treatment.

  31. #31DerelictTexture2012-10-19 10:33

    Oh...and P.S. Someone sent me this recent ad for a logging camp manager...in case I knew anyone in the market http://http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bus/3341936903.html

  32. #32Born2clearcut2012-10-19 11:16

    I use Photoshop CS5 awesome program . I tried messing with the pictures but just couldn't get them to look right and was running out of time, but i know what you mean .

  33. #33Redwood Climber2013-05-25 10:03

    Bucyrus 22B This shovel loaded logs for Hammond Lumber Co. then GP....don't know if it also worked for LP. I'm guessing the grapples or tongs were air operated judging from the large air tank on top of the house. You can see big air hoses going in the end of the dipper stick. When they started converting shovels to load logs it was a huge advance in loading equipment. You now had a MOBILE loader. Loading was no longer tied to a pole. They were easily loaded onto a railcar, and later lowbeds when trucks came into play. It must have been a huge leap in safety also. Photo from the Boyle collection. Dated pre-1956. Nice looking machine. Note the four nosebags on the catwalk.

  34. #34Redwood Climber2013-05-25 10:38

    Lima Shovel Operating this Lima shovel for GP was Garth Denman, one of the finest men on the planet. Garth was an expert at operating equipment. In his later years Garth operated one of the big Skagit BU199's at Klamath, Ca. for Arcata Redwood Co. One of the nicest men I have ever known.....and man could he get 'r done! I never knew Garth as a young man, and I found this picture of him....in his prime and in his element!! This shovel could load some huge logs. If the logs were too big for the tongs.......no problem, just strap it. See third pic. Photos from the Boyle collection. Dated 1969, pre-1956.

  35. #35cat32082013-05-25 11:11

    Very nice pics! Thanks!

  36. #36Vigilant2013-05-25 12:06

    That looks like the exact same shovel as shown in post #507 of the KW 848 thread. VERY nice.

  37. #37camptramp2013-11-28 15:55

    The KOEHRING shown in pictures was purchased by Malloch & Moseley new around 1970 ,they bought two of them through Finning they were always log loaders . During the mid 1980's M&M became Forst Land Industies which is the logo on the side of this loader.

  38. #38camptramp2013-11-28 16:11

    Check out the cab on the Hayes HDX it has a one piece windshield ,that is the first HDX ever built and the only one with that style of cab ,it was puchased new by Butler Brothers at Sooke B.C. B.B. had some lets say very intresting pieces of equipment in their logging operations. They had two Marions one rigged up as a log loader and one rigged up with a crane boom they used with a clam shell bucket to dredge their booming grounds. The loader shown has the operators cab on the left side ,I would say its a Marion and the picture was taken at Butler Brothers Sooke Operation. And as far as not beening able to heal the logs, they had two brothers working for them, Ernie and Larry Jay if you have anything around that runs and will pick up a log they'll find a way to get it on a truck . When I ran loader at Sooke in 1978 Larry was running a Bycurus Erie line loader on a Skagit rubber tire carrier . I've watch him pull into a landing he'd be swinging around dropping his jacks putting the grapple on the first log ,while talking on the VHF radio , talk about multie tasking the guy was unbelievable.

  39. #39boardbysled2014-06-12 00:28

    Manitowoc with a heel boom, snorkle attachment, and a set of acme grapples.

  40. #40petepilot2020-11-15 17:31

    lol` first time i ever heard of lunch boxes refered to as nosebags but i guess it works

  41. #41Tugger22020-11-15 21:37

    The outfit I worked for had a 750 American grade shovel set up with a cab that would raise up and a set of air tongs that replaced the bucket. It was nick named the Earwig .

  42. #42camptramp2020-11-15 22:10

    A nosebag goes back to the Horse Logging Day's when the Teamster would give his horse's a nosebag of grain for lunch .

  43. #43Jumbo2020-11-16 20:40

    If they are going to work you like an animal, then they feed you like one.

  44. #44petepilot2020-11-16 22:03