Hello to the group. Thanks for being here. My case 580d has the Lucas cav pump. Tractor has always run well in the 5 years I have owned it. My pump has been leaking for years at the oring in the photo. It would drip all the time. I installed a valve on the fuel line to stop the drip when not in use and the in use drip I just “put up with”. Currently the tractor will crank and no start. Getting diesel dribble from loosened injectors but not the squirt like I remember. Machine puffs small white smoke out exhaust while cranking. Stater fluid makes no difference. New filter primed with diesel. Checked my return line ball valve and it seems to operate correctly. I have 12 volts to the fuel solenoid but have not removed it to see if the click I am hearing is actually engaging the solenoid. I have my mechanic coming by on Monday to go thru it all better to see if I’m missing anything. I am leaning towards the fuel shut off valve failure especially because my constant drip for years has ceased to drip. Monday I’ll verify if it’s the solenoid but think injector pump removal and have thepumpguysc rebuild it will be the best route to get me to start and stop the leak. Not sure if there is a kill linkage in the pump either. Any advice?
Hold the fuel solenoid open with a piece of wire and see if it starts.
Do you mean run a jumper from 12v source to the solenoid or something else?
On the older style solenoid, the plunger and spring can be removed.. then u can screw the body back in and bypass the solenoid so to speak. On the newer style solenoid, the guts don’t come out.. so u have to bench test it with a battery charger or 12v from the battery.. Chances are, if u hear it click, it’s working.. U might wanna put a meter on it to MAKE SURE you’re not dropping power while cranking. Hold the throttle WIDE OPEN while cranking.. Good luck
And then ask pumpguy how to remove it and send it to him. Joe H
after flapping the emergency cut off it fired right up. Still want to get with the pump guy to get it rebuilt
There’s a fuel shop on the big island.. I went to training school with the owner.. many moons ago.. I have no idea what the price would “start” at.?? Then u have to take into account the shipping charges.. That alone would be an arm and a leg..?? PLEASE, contact me FIRST if’n you’re “thinkin about” pulling it.. so we can schedule it..
Shipping is priority mail, same as mainland. Same box, same price. Joe H
No kidding.!!??
Yup, priority is air mail, same to AK too. Joe H
Well let me add my two pence. I guess shooter have commonrail fuel system. So I guess one of the ingectors leak, and drops the preasuer of fuel on a rump . So you may try to start the engine on 3 ciliders. Unscrew a preasure line to the ingector put an iron ball on the socket to block the passage of fuel. and tighten it back. So you ll have only three ciclider connected to the pump. Repeat it with all ingectors in turn and you ll find the one that leak. Pardon for my French, xo.
Translation is a hoot sometimes. Good idea.
How much you charge to do a rebuild?
Prvt msg sent.