Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

crawler carriers

waterman · 2011-03-03 16:32

Hey guys!! I'm new Here but not new to operating been running equipment for about 20 years now. Here's my question. Where doing a mine reclamation job in WV. where working on a 2/1 slope, I need to run rip rap up this for a ditch line i need to build, and looking around and Komatsu has a crawler carrier,,,And I'm thinking this would work better on the slope than a track loader to get the rip rap up and in the ditch. Anyone ever use one of these for such a job or think this would climb the hill/slope. By the way the mountain is around 2000' at 2/1 slope. Thanks for any and all input. john

Replies20
  1. #1waterman2011-03-07 15:06

    So no one knows anything about these Trucks/crawlers???

  2. #2willie592011-03-07 20:13

    Both the Komatsu CD60R and Morooka MST-800VD advertise a gradeablility of 30 degrees. I'm not a dirtman, so I don't know how that translates to slope grade.

  3. #3EGS2011-03-07 21:00

    It is not quite a 3/1. 33.3% is a 3/1.

  4. #4ZAXIS2011-03-07 21:22

    waterman, I used to own a Mooroka MST-1500 & it was a great off-road machine. Komatsu makes a CD60-R & a 110-R as ATCOEQUIP mentioned. These machines would be better than the Mooroka's( I'm thinking) because of the rotating upperstructure. I also own a track loader, and the Track Dumper would be the right machine for your job, with or without the rotating upperstructure. Hitachi makes a Track Dumper with a rotating upper (EG70,110,etc),but i'm not sure if there are any in North America.

  5. #5hvy 1ton2011-03-08 01:36

    30 degrees is a little steeper than a a 2/1 at 55%.

  6. #6d9gdon2011-03-08 07:20

    hvy 1ton, I think you meant to say 30 degrees is a little steeper than a 2 to 1, which is a 50% slope. I think you fat fingered it and don't mean to split hairs or try to show how dang smart I am. I know how many degrees a 2:1 or a 3:1 is cause I use a slope meter on my dozer when I build lakes or ponds, but I had to look up the percentage on the 30 degree slope. You know, if I try to stuff too much in this fat head of mine something else has to leave to make room. BTW, 30 degrees is 57.7% slope...

  7. #7hvy 1ton2011-03-08 17:52

    Yep, that was what i was going for. I knew 30 degrees was somewhere around 55%, i was pretty close.

  8. #8EGS2011-03-08 19:07

    Oops! I got my percent and degree mixed up. Goes to show that I shouldn't be posting after I have been ice fishing and drinking all afternoon.

  9. #9willie592011-03-08 19:39

    OK, you guys got my brain twisted in knots with all the dirt math. So, will the crawler dumper do the job, 2:1 slope, if their max advertised gradeablility is 30 degrees? Sorry, I'm just not a dirt guy and never had to know this stuff.

  10. #10EGS2011-03-08 20:26

    It seems that it would.

  11. #11willie592011-03-08 20:50

    Thanks EGS. We once rented a Morooka MST-1500 to a contractor doing a job in Maggie Valley NC. When our truck driver returned to pick it up off rental, they said they had two more loads of gravel to take up the hill and they would be done with it, so he hung around. He said they would load the dump bed down with gravel, and the operator would go full throttle wide slam open up this hill...backwards, LoL. I don't know the grade of it, but I do know it's dang steep on up the hill. :tong http://discovermaggievalley.com/_ghost/aaghotow.htm

  12. #12wnydirtguy2011-03-08 21:08

    we have used komatsu cr 60 and 110. they are nice trucks. be able to spin around helps alot. I know we were runing them up and down steep slope. can't remember what they where. they should work for u. if u do get in trouble going up u can just spin around and back up the hill.

  13. #13dawoodwa2011-03-08 22:30

    2000 feet of 2/1 slope, do you think it would be possible to reach terminal velocity in the event of a mechanical failure if you were near the top of the slope and something broke?

  14. #14waterman2011-03-09 07:38

    the slpoe does have a bench every 100' or so. So my take on this is you guys that have used these things or seenthem work think this will be the thing to use??? I'm not thrilled about having one of my guys running a track loader up the slope with a bucket full of rip-rap

  15. #15waterman2011-03-09 07:40

    So they went up that hill with one?? if so im thinking it will work than that for all the input guys!!!

  16. #16willie592011-03-09 18:52

    Yep, they took it straight up the side of that mountain waterman. Are you considering renting one? If you are, try Crawler Equipment Sales is Georgia. I know they have some CD60R and CD110R machines that they rent, but a CD110R might be a bit of a big machine for what you're going to be doing. http://www.crawlerequipmentsales.com/inventory.htm

  17. #17waterman2011-03-10 07:31

    Thanks Atcoequip,,,I'll check them out!!

  18. #18lantraxco2011-04-05 15:28

    Always late to the party.... I would try to stay with the Morooka or IHI if you're operating on steep slopes, the rotating machines have a higher center of gravity and in my opinion are more likely to tip when loaded. The fine print at the bottom of the Komatsu CD110 brochure says: "Do not use this machine on a slope steeper than 15 degrees." Not sure if they mean side slope or not, but in any case that's my $.02 worth. Cheers, Lanway Lanway Tractor Company

  19. #19Rig Source2012-03-28 13:41

    Hey Waterman, It sounds like a crawler carrier would be a great fit for your job. There's no doubt the carrier will help with the slope and terrain. If you want to test this type of thing out, we RENT IHI and Morooka crawler carriers and also just started manufacturing our own crawler carriers (Terramac's). Check out our stuff on http://www.RigSourceInc.com or http://www.CrawlerCarriers.com or call Matt at 630-365-1649 if you want to talk to someone about renting. Thanks and good luck!

  20. #20truckman_de2012-05-02 05:51

    gradability I know, this thread is kinda old, but still it provides inaccurate information. That is the gradability of the MST800 or Morooka dumpers in general. According to this specs sheet, it's actually 35° which makes it a better "climber" than comparable Yanmar or Mitsubishi machines. http://www.ito-germany.com/morooka-mst1500-dumper-for-sale#docs