Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crawlers I photo’d recently.

Truck Shop · 2022-04-24 21:25

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies596
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-04-24 21:26
  2. #2DB22022-04-24 21:35

    Where did you spot those ?

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-04-24 22:20

    Crawlers like those are laying everywhere around here.

  4. #4Junkyard2022-04-24 23:02

    I wish they were here.

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-04-25 07:36

    Cat sold more D4, 5, 6 crawlers here than anywhere, International too. Wheat farms around here could have had as many as five or six depending on how much ground they farmed. Because of the steep hill sides and the need to not pack the ground wheel tractors were only good on the flats. When rubber band machines like Cat Challenger came along many of these just got parked behind the barn. But there are a lot of farms that still use D6's because the simple fact it's just extremely reliable.

  6. #6Vetech632022-04-25 08:10

    You should get out of trucks and start rebuilding those dozers

  7. #7Truck Shop2022-04-25 08:57

    No market for them anymore or it's very thin. Plus it's a little late in my broken down health to start something like that. But the shop I work in was originally a crawler shop. The rail road rails are still in the floor to run the tracks on and you can see where the jib crane was from the cut off bolts in the floor.

  8. #8Vetech632022-04-25 10:21

    I thought old was a state of mind.

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-04-25 12:04

    My mind says no.

  10. #10John C.2022-04-25 12:05

    The floor of that market is about $2,500 for a running machine that will move itself onto a trailer. There are some people that will pay a lot of money for an old D2 that has been restored to near new condition. Those machines sit in multi-million dollar buildings and few people get to admire them. The machines were built for commercial operations and have to earn their keep. Those operations no longer exist so it's time to go to the scrapper to be remade into something useful again.

  11. #11Truck Shop2022-04-25 12:11

    Sometime in the future I plan making a video of a cat and or a combine working a steep hill side. Viewed from the cab. Not many have any idea just how steep the ground is around here that is farmed. When the leveler on the bine reaches max and your a little past that-things start getting pretty tight.

  12. #12Junkyard2022-04-25 15:53

    I’d take one of those for dragging logs and whatnot. I like keeping the old stuff around and working

  13. #13sled dog2022-04-25 17:19

    Junkyard, that is EXACTLY what the Boss Lady says about me...

  14. #14Truck Shop2022-04-25 19:40

    Junkyard?

  15. #15Junkyard2022-04-25 20:39

    I’d be all in. Be a good excuse to come visit. I know a couple guys that are really sharp on the old cat stuff. Hopefully they’d steer me right. One would probably come with me. I know Miller would

  16. #16Junkyard2022-04-25 20:40

    Lol I’m sure mine does too even at my tender age!

  17. #17bccat2022-04-26 11:57

    I had one these 2 tons ,overhead camshaft, hemi head, gear driven water pump, way ahead of its time. Holt design early 20’s, Hall Scott engine

  18. #18Junkyard2022-04-26 15:51

    That would be awesome to have. It’s amazing what they were doing back then.

  19. #19Truck Shop2022-04-26 22:03

    Some wheel tractors I took pics of in same place as the 2 Ton. Notice the Oliver has the Hart Parr half of the company still displayed. And the exposed starter on the JD-D.

  20. #20Truck Shop2022-05-01 15:21

    Wrong pic.

  21. #21Truck Shop2022-05-01 15:29
  22. #22Truck Shop2022-05-29 11:51

    Not my photos. From a collection in PA. There was a collection of crawlers/tractors here in town owned by Ted Small that had over 80 crawlers of all types and age. It was one of the largest privet collections in the country.

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-05-29 11:52
  24. #24Truck Shop2022-05-29 11:53
  25. #25Truck Shop2022-05-29 11:54
  26. #26Truck Shop2022-05-29 11:56
  27. #27skyking12022-05-29 13:35

    that last picture, the little blade looks like it is going 100 MPH sitting still. I love that art deco streamlined styling.

  28. #28Truck Shop2022-05-29 14:36
  29. #29Legdoc2022-05-29 22:07

    Wow that's quite a collection!

  30. #30scholzee2022-06-02 06:49

    Not to mention the signs on walls and oil cans and collectables that is impressive display

  31. #31Truck Shop2022-06-27 21:11
  32. #32Truck Shop2022-06-27 21:12
  33. #331466IH2022-06-27 22:09

    Only an Oliver. The real green tractor lol

  34. #34d9gdon2022-06-28 12:25

    Huber, look on the front...

  35. #35mekanik2022-06-28 14:17

    A few from Atlin. I would have liked to have taken a few more but it was very cold and windy. A McCormick Deering missing a few parts. An old Caterpillar. It had a 3 cylinder engine. Not sure what the last 2 are

  36. #36Truck Shop2022-06-28 19:14
  37. #371466IH2022-06-28 23:22

    Sure is. Should have zoomed in on the Pic. Phone screens just aren't big enough lol

  38. #38Truck Shop2022-08-23 04:31

    Not my photos.

  39. #39John C.2022-08-23 10:21

    Reminds me of the term "push me pull you." Is it a skid steer? Was it a loader? Are those grader chain drives? Kinda looks like a farm field in the background. What would someone use that thing for?

  40. #40Truck Shop2022-08-23 11:17

    D6 converted, supposedly a 150 or so were built from 1952 to 1967. Used in sugarcane fields in Florida.

  41. #41Truck Shop2022-08-23 19:45

    Not my photos. 1914 to 1916 Hart Parr Little Devil. Two cycle two cylinder. The only way to back it up was reverse engine rotation. They could backfire and reverse also. Interesting tractor.

  42. #42Truck Shop2022-08-23 20:10
  43. #43DB22022-08-23 20:29

    Great video TS !

  44. #44Truck Shop2022-08-23 22:06

    Thank the people who made it and that guy who collected those crawlers.

  45. #45Truck Shop2022-09-27 19:55

    A very early orchard sprayer I photo'd a few years back. The engine is a Le Roi.

  46. #461466IH2022-11-22 14:40

    Renner stock farms is about 45 minutes from my house. Take some time to look at the rest of their videos on YouTube. They are the home of 100 years of horsepower

  47. #47OzDozer2022-11-22 20:00

    The thing about all these old tractors is that probably two-thirds of the infrastructure we use today, was built by them - roads, highways, dams, railroads, irrigation canals, housing developments, you name it. And tough men drove those machines in all kinds of weather, with no cabs, no heating or air-con, no power steering or fingertip controls. Lousy steel wire rope, it wore out every couple of hundred hours, and you fought the old stuff out, and the new stuff in, and you wore the spikes from broken wires in your hands. Grease zerks!! A hundred on every machine, sometimes more! You just got to admire that generation, they're practically all gone today, a lot with shortened lives thanks to many dangers, but their fine work still lives on.

  48. #48Truck Shop2022-11-22 20:43

    Well said Oz.

  49. #49Truck Shop2022-11-22 21:42

    Where I live It's 95% dry land wheat steep hillsides in most cases. Farmed for years with crawler tractors. Around here you can tell the old timer farmers, they are high performance-most have dual hearing aids.

  50. #50Coaldust2022-11-22 22:32

    I was surprised to see so many old & well-loved D5/D6 ag tractors when I moved to the Palouse. I was familiar with the typical beat, rusted & long dead forest machines rotting away on the coast. The ag tractors were strange to me with their manual transmissions and weird final drive ratios. Plus, they had original paint and were not rusted out. Had the opportunity to tour a private collection in Graingville. The 80 YO Gentleman had worked for the local JD dealer most of his career. When Cat dealers sold green implements. Those Palouse hillside and Prairie farmers were resourceful and developed transmission modifications to add a sixth gear and other tweaks to fine tune the implement ground speeds. Cool stuff.

  51. #51Coaldust2022-11-23 12:28

    Mr. Billups was the guy I met in Graingville. I see the collection sold in 2019. He worked for Brown Motors/Bell Equipment for 75 years. Imagine 75 years at the same dealership. Lol, he grew up in that dealership which explains the tenure. https://www.idahocountyfreepress.co...cle_5335a0dc-f34e-11e8-9b34-9736a43e7583.html

  52. #52Truck Shop2022-11-23 17:30

    There aren't many options for jobs in Grangeville, hardly any jobs at all.

  53. #53Oxbow2022-11-23 19:51

    I spent my summers in high school working for a farmer in Grangeville, back in the 70s. Used to be farming, logging, lumber mill, or the Forest Service.

  54. #54Truck Shop2022-11-23 20:04

    A good video about my town and wheat farmed here in the early days. There is a marker on a road not far from my house where the 1919 show took place.

  55. #55John C.2022-11-23 20:42

    That was a very well done production. I like the photos of all those horses and mules with their ears up when the photographer was out in front of them.

  56. #56Truck Shop2022-11-23 21:29

    McKinney farms the ground where the 1919 show took place, as a matter of fact I worked on that 4300 International ten wheeler in the ending seen.

  57. #57Coaldust2022-11-23 22:01

    That’s for sure, Truck Shop. I had a lot of students from the Prairie and very few stayed after graduation. An occasional farm kid would go back to the farm. Grangeville seems like a nice community. Might be a nice place to retire, but those Prairie winters are a little rough.

  58. #58Truck Shop2022-11-24 04:08

    Whitman County the heart of the Palouse had one of the lowest unemployment records in the U.S. All family farms handed down for years, there were no migrant workers to speak of. Outside of farming little else existed. Other than WSU in Pullman. Unlike most towns that kind of spread out around the edges Pullman had it's edge----------like a wall houses stopped and wheat fields started. But when the 70's came along the generation farm began to slide as some of the younger ones squandered the farms, happened a lot around here.

  59. #59Coaldust2022-11-24 16:53

    Working in the traveling health care biz, my wife was always impressed how many self-sufficient, healthy and hardy, elderly patients She met at Pullman Regional. Something about the wheat farming lifestyle , I guess.

  60. #60Truck Shop2022-11-24 20:41

    I know quite a bit about that hospital.

  61. #61WesMohler2022-11-27 01:00

    Pending restoration, D4D SA Advice Appreciated!

  62. #62OzDozer2022-11-27 02:57

    Doesn't look like it needs too much restoration to me? Pressure-wash all over, and paint!

  63. #6392U 34062022-11-27 09:26
  64. #64Truck Shop2022-11-27 17:40

    Today a Seven.

  65. #65Oxbow2022-11-27 20:50

    17A is my guess.

  66. #66OzDozer2022-11-27 21:20

    It's a late-model D7 3T with the D8800 engine. The "new" model D7, 7M series, was released in 1940 and was replaced by the slightly upgraded 3T series in 1945, and the 3T was built until 1955, when the 17A appeared with the "new" D339 engine. Over 28,000 3T tractors were manufactured, making it one of Caterpillars most-produced models. Along with the 8R and 1H series D8's, these models of D7 and D8 were the tractors that helped win WW2. The Engineers with their D7's and D8's were at the front lines with the infantry during WW2, landing on beachheads and pushing aside rubble and flattening obstructions, so troops and vehicles could get through. In the WW2 landing in Sicily, the D7's and D8's and Carryalls built and finished a new airstrip capable of taking B-17's, within 3 days of landing.

  67. #67Truck Shop2022-11-27 21:31

    That 7 is a 1954, friends dad bought it new. The D8 14A below is a wet clutch 1957, he also bought new.

  68. #68Oxbow2022-11-27 21:55

    I thought all the 3Ts had spoke idlers. It's been a long time, but I ran a 17A quite a bit in the early 80s.

  69. #69OzDozer2022-11-27 22:39

    Yes, the vast majority of 3T's had spoked idlers, but in 1953, Cat introduced the disc idlers - starting with the D8, then gradually changing over on all the other tractor models.

  70. #70Birken Vogt2022-11-27 23:48

    I think I have posted in another thread, but don't remember if I got an answer: why were sprockets and idlers spoked? Like the machine needs to save weight or something? Seems silly.

  71. #71OzDozer2022-11-28 00:42

    It was the original design, and I would hazard a WAG that the design was a follow-on from cart wheels and other heavy wheel designs, which were all spoked from the earliest days. I would expect the disc design was a design aimed at easier and cheaper manufacturing processes. Casting was the standard procedure for many parts and components up until WW2, when faster and cheaper methods had to be found - and I think Caterpillar dragged their feet on design changes, because other manufacturers such as Allis-Chalmers and IH led the way on these new, improved and cheaper manufacturing methods, that reduced the amount of castings needed. There was also the problem that spokes cracked under heavy operating conditions, whereas disc designs were less prone to cracking, and the disc gave better support to the rim. Vastly improved and heavier presses also led the way to enable much thicker metals to be pressed. FYI, and a little off-thread - Did you know, that the largest percentage of the worlds heavy manufacturing presses are made by Komatsu?

  72. #72Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:06

    Left the shop early today, took a few photos. Where the road turns and goes out of sight near the distant tree line, plus the field back this way is where the 1919 Tractor show was held. Russel Road.

  73. #73Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:10

    A few crawlers and binds I took photos of today, some at McKinney Farm and a few at Reecer Farms.

  74. #74Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:12
  75. #75Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:13
  76. #76Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:41

    The wheel tractor is a Oliver-Hart Parr. The JD combine is a model 45. And the AC Buggy tractor was popular around here for use in asparagus fields. And the green AC with blade was a U.S. Forrest service crawler. McKinney's son started it for me-ran like a top, the under carriage was in perfect shape built in 1945.

  77. #77Tugger22022-12-01 22:43

    Thats sure nice country where you are T.S. Looks like that land could feed the nation.

  78. #78JaredV2022-12-02 00:39

    I'd love to have that little green grain cart in front of the Hart-Parr. Probably sounds pretty random with all those great crawlers and combines around it but they are almost non existent on the west side of the state and I've been looking for a few years.

  79. #79Truck Shop2022-12-02 07:09

    True--right in that area because it follows the edge of the Blue Mountains average bushel for dry land wheat is 115 plus, the top soil there around 50'. It's also unfortunately a beautiful area that the rich would just love to buy to put mc mansions on. McKinney and his son have zero intention of that happening as long as they are alive.

  80. #80Tugger22022-12-02 09:51

    Have to commend those guys for carrying on farming. The developement carrot is an insidious thing to resist. A quick flash in the pan work wise then all goes quiet leaving us guys that really do things wondering where all the jobs went ,not to mention the food or the lumber.

  81. #81Birken Vogt2022-12-02 11:21

    Highest and best use of the property. In some cases it becomes legally required. If food gets expensive enough, they will rip out those McMansions and convert back to farmland. It would be pretty rough going to get to that point though.

  82. #82John C.2022-12-02 11:25

    Rich people whine about government interference now. Imagine if a government told a bunch of rich people that their mansions were going to be torn down and the ground turned back into farm land.

  83. #83Truck Shop2022-12-02 16:09

    That farmer--McKinney played it well just behind that tree line there's a creek also. Great places to put houses, he sold off a small portion divided into small lots, as privet sales each. Those were the most coveted spots according to a appraiser. He sold them to Walla Wallan's who had a long family history living here. Each that nothing else would be built there for 75 years in agreement to both sides. A total of four houses were built hidden from view.

  84. #84Birken Vogt2022-12-03 01:08

    I'm talking about a timeline of a hundred years or more. They will be dilapidated by then and not in demand for some reason we have no idea about. Things have a way of coming around. Farmland can be valuable and dilapidated houses get torn up and converted back to farmland.

  85. #85DMiller2022-12-03 06:09

    BV, already happening here, several decades back the Mcmansion was THE toy for the Big Money crowd, high dollar to Heat and Cool now many sit untended, up for sale West St Louis and most of St Charles Counties where no one has the cash to afford them needing major repairs. See that in the big metros where the older huge homes were converted into apartments then as dilapidated were just bulldozed. Cousins on Mom's side from Grandfathers brothers ended up selling off massive brick homes on limestone block foundations built in the late 1800s early 1900s, had bought them CHEAP as too costly to keep up where they refurbed a few for resale and then Section 8 housing took them over. Those are ALL gone down in St Louis now, bare open blocks just overgrowing, taxes are obscene just on bare lots.

  86. #86Truck Shop2022-12-03 16:44

    The idea to day is {downsize}, boomers started the mc mansion craze. Now that they are getting old those huge houses have become a maintenance nightmare. Two people in their 60's and up living in a house with 4 bedrooms 3 baths, huge kitchen, dens, big living rooms plus a 3 car garage is a lot of upkeep that would only impress them I guess. Smaller houses on one level are the {In Thing} now. Taxes alone has tended to drive some sense in those white haired heads. The funny thing is boomers started out {tune in and drop out}. Then did a 180* turn and joined big brother, now it's 180* back.

  87. #87DMiller2022-12-03 17:22

    Ours is 1800sf grade level 2br 2 bath, grade level laundry room, great room with kitchen at one end. Downstairs is finished 2br 2b but more due to drop in family & guests room as not much in town for Hotels. Not a McMansion but maybe one step down. Couple years be looking to downsize to three or four TOTAL rooms!!! Do know our electric bill is a far cry from the monsters in the other counties mentioned. Shop and House on same meter, biggest bill $265 during extreme cold. And me working in the shop, Compressor and Welder work.

  88. #88Birken Vogt2022-12-03 17:45

    I have wondered why the mcmansions don't get subdivided into several occupancies, duplex, triplex, quadplex or apartments. Though the ones I have seen on suburban streets have hardly any parking.

  89. #89DMiller2022-12-03 17:55

    Most do not have footprint good to do that on them.

  90. #90Truck Shop2022-12-03 18:46

    Surrounding home owners would throw a fit, ruin their upper class neighborhood, decrease property values. Would be the biggest issue.

  91. #91Tones2022-12-03 19:58

    For those of you who may be interested the largest display in the Southern hemisphere of everything old with tracks or wheels is on during Easter next year. Wheels at Wanaka in New Zealand https://www.wheelsatwanaka.co.nz/ There some private collections near there which are well worth a look at as well. Anyone wanting to see them PM me and I'll see what I can do about you getting in.

  92. #92John C.2022-12-03 23:24

    Person buys two or three lots here and demos them to put up a palace. Plenty of lawyers involved.

  93. #93DMiller2022-12-04 07:25

    Neighbor to our west and slight south bought 12 acres. Went nuts. he is a B-ball and Phys Ed coach, she is a School administrator, two boys in teens. Twentyfive hundred sf four bedroom, master suite is as big as our great room with a hot tub patio(I cheated as walked around in house going up) Boys bedrooms upstairs each with own bath, spare downstairs is as big as our master. Had a open house party when moved in, two fridges upstairs, two down, two big freezers for their proposed wildlife harvests! Big toy shed 40x40 full electric service and heat 2x4 walls minimal insulation, for the boys four wheelers and a place to play indoors in bad weather, stick built on slab. Four car garage so boys could keep theirs as got them inside. Bad day, last year on baseball field errant ball hit the coach in head and fractures skull, stroke bleed. Three weeks to get back walking, another month learning to speak, 5 months to operate riding mower again. He is finally back to work where is salary but they withheld six months. Oldest boy going to College after graduates early in spring, second is a year and half behind him so are talking of selling property. Realtor came and looked said no buyers for this. Payment is $2200/mo, electric bill during summer over $500, in winter is over $600 and has ground source HP system. Asking $950,000, supposedly the builder would catch the woman and make suggestions as to add ons, vault ceilings, extra wall wash lighting under eaves, custom woodwork and millwork, off the wall high end but not name brand appliances etc etc etc. Are in this at $4200/a land, missed the rebates on HP system have $43,000 in that alone with four wells. House ended up over $600k by its self. Double budget. RE taxes double of ours, nearly every aspect expense double of ours if not triple. Originally wanted to live in Chesterfield MO, too far to drive to their work so built as could buy in Chesterfield, nobody coming here wants that. Spoke to him last week, are likely to block off upstairs, minimal heat just to keep functional, having LP furnace put in now to augment dysfunctional HP system. Only been in house Four years. Neighbor house visible across fence in photos has the other 12a on that land, nice house 1700sf 3br and paid for as he saved as much of his duty money from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, sold last house set that money in with duty money. Retired USMC Captain came up thru enlisted ranks. Their son is currently in USMC Boot, be home in two weeks. She had hubs build what she saw in St Louis County, have a severe downs syndrome daughter so house set up for her, her lifespan forecast is not very long. He wants to stay, family here, she wants to move but realtors noted they can only break even on their place. He was explained by realtor should have retained all 24 acres not selling the 12 to the other family as would have been easier to resell now or to have lease sold grass for hay or added pasture to our renter. Some people do dumb good intentioned ideas.

  94. #94Truck Shop2022-12-04 07:44

    Grandiose living-it's why the total personal credit debt is 16 trillion. It's hard to find a frying pan and stove bug enough to fricassee the grandiose houses, cars and toys when financial disaster set in.

  95. #95Truck Shop2022-12-04 11:13

    Old-I forget the model-took the photo some years back.

  96. #96bccat2022-12-04 13:41
  97. #97Truck Shop2022-12-04 15:11

    Same as this one.

  98. #98Truck Shop2022-12-05 18:20

    Not my photo but a nice shot of a Sixty.

  99. #99Truck Shop2023-01-02 18:55
  100. #100John C.2023-01-02 19:42

    That is classic!

  101. #101Hank R2023-01-04 22:57
  102. #102bccat2023-01-05 00:08

    Cat 60 & Cat D6 5r pulling what looks like a base of a jaw crusher, wow

  103. #103Truck Shop2023-01-15 16:42

    OzDozer can come along and tag these.

  104. #104Hank R2023-01-15 17:00

    IH TD-9 ???

  105. #105DMiller2023-01-15 17:13

    Thoughts were Garwood blade, Bucyrus on cylinder Predates TD9?

  106. #106D6 Merv2023-02-03 01:15

    What a absolutely awesome thread; just found this new page. As usually i only poke my nose in the Dozers and Forestry threads. Great pics and great comments from honest real people; lovely scenery pics, have read the odd bit about the Palouse area in washington and the AG crawlers used there. Pic of 2 of my dozers, me and a son on them. D6D and scoop and D4D and padfoot roller Cheers from New Zealand boys PS TONES you are right about wheels at Wanaka, this is a awesome show, a great visit, and alot of good videos on youtube under wheels at wanaka, been to the first 2 and am going again at easter; am like a pig in poo down there

  107. #107OzDozer2023-02-05 02:49

    I'm not a Red Rust guru, Cat and A/C is more my forte - but I believe that's a Wartime TD9 with a full Bucyrus-Erie blade and hydraulics setup. The sprocket cover guard is missing off the tractor. The B-E blades usually had a big prominent plate in the centre of the blade with their name on it, but quite often, they got cut off, or knocked off. A similar unit in the auction sale here (below). https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/auction-results/209677807/international-td9-crawler-dozers

  108. #108Truck Shop2023-02-07 18:23

    D11N with fresh power.

  109. #109Truck Shop2023-02-19 19:27
  110. #110Truck Shop2023-02-26 21:15
  111. #111Truck Shop2023-02-26 21:16

    Not a crawler but interesting.

  112. #112DMiller2023-02-27 12:30

    Pretty wild prototype

  113. #113Truck Shop2023-02-27 21:34
  114. #114Truck Shop2023-02-27 21:41

    That scraper above was called the 3100 prototype.

  115. #115Truck Shop2023-02-27 21:43

    The tracked scraper was used at Cat test grounds.

  116. #116DMiller2023-02-28 07:04

    Controls had to be a Marvel of Mystery on that double bowl 657, could get lost in a hurry!! Obvious had a little too much traction and not enough weight on the crawler type. Can imagine that as cruelly SLOW.

  117. #117Truck Shop2023-02-28 07:20

    Was only used for testing for other designs.

  118. #11856wrench2023-02-28 07:21

    Spending vast amounts of dollars on wierd concepts has been the downfall of many companies throughout history but Cat apparently had deep enough pockets by the time they built those

  119. #119Truck Shop2023-02-28 18:39

    Nice old photo of a Cat 50 or there about-finned manifold-Must have been a early Edelbrock performance option only the 50 had. Need to check with Nige or TC.

  120. #120Truck Shop2023-03-01 21:44

    NMP--D9.

  121. #121Truck Shop2023-03-01 21:48

    I operated one like that on weekends at the local garbage dump in my old home town. Didn't pay all that well but was fun to operate, ran over a whole bunch of old toilets with it one time.

  122. #122John C.2023-03-01 21:52

    I like the 9G we had at the coal mine for the amount it could move in one push. I just thought that the hydraulics were always slow and the machine was clumsy to operate. It was cool to look behind the machine and see the cleared path that the dozer made.

  123. #123Truck Shop2023-03-02 19:26

    A digger.

  124. #124Truck Shop2023-03-03 22:10

    Photo by Kloth--Holt built in Stockton, Cal. Accredited with building the first crawler tractor by some.

  125. #125John C.2023-03-04 10:18

    I wonder if that pintle hitch on the front was an OEM part?

  126. #126bccat2023-03-04 12:32

    Yes, it was

  127. #127Tones2023-03-04 12:46

    Nmp Vickers Vigor, Onions scoop

  128. #128Old Doug2023-03-09 07:33

    There are 3 cats on this farm that i hauled scrap from they want to sell them to me to resell. One is a R6 with a blade it is in the best shape. Then there is this one with grader . There is another but i couldnt find it yesterday i had to walk to see this one i will go back when i can drive in and find the last one if it ever drys up.

  129. #129Old Doug2023-03-09 07:41

    I think there worth some were around scrap price plus what it would take to move them. I think i can move the other 2 . The 6 will roll and the other is a smaller i have been told. On the other hand i may be smarter to get them to the road and let someone else move them.

  130. #130Truck Shop2023-03-09 19:08

    NMP-Frozen in time, the last load.

  131. #131Truck Shop2023-03-15 21:40

    NMP's

  132. #132kshansen2023-03-16 07:32

    Is that 988 Carry Loader for real? Somehow in all the years working on 988's never came across mention of them. The earliest one I worked on that I recall the s/n for was 87A1964. Would be interesting to see how the operator would fill the rear bucket. Most operator I knew had enough problem with the front bucket!

  133. #133JaredV2023-03-16 12:12

    Probably not as hard as you think! I imagine with the rear loader and the rear axle moved back, it's gonna have better traction for loading the front and once that's filled it's got traction up the wazoo to fill the back. Then I thought maybe less tire wear that way but then I remembered all the turning around you'd have to do to dig and dump and that probably offsets that.

  134. #134John C.2023-03-16 12:54

    It would be like driving a 560 Hough with the seat turned backwards. Can you imagine the number of state industrial insurance claims for necks, shoulders and backs.

  135. #135Truck Shop2023-03-17 21:30
  136. #136Willie B2023-03-18 17:28

    Now you've caught my interest. I have a crawler, too old to be working, but low hours.

  137. #137Willie B2023-03-18 17:54

    Of greater interest to me is how did they shape the land around a house in an earlier day. The time I'm interested in is before my memory beginning in 1960. I presume most earth moving from the men with shovels era must have begun with dozers. There were cable shovels, some steam, later gasoline or diesel powered, I presume they were brought in for extended projects. I don't expect many shovels were used for single family homes. Here, the ones in twentieth century I can find mention of were human muscle powered, then horse drawn scoop, (almost the same as human muscle) First memory In my life beginning in 1956 is a primitive backhoe on a 1940 Farmall M tractor owned by the local dealer. It had a toothless 16?" wide bucket I have seen stumped trying to dig a hole. By 1964? a local bought a dedicated backhoe/loader, a Case Construction King, I think a 530. He made his living until his death digging cellar holes & building septic systems. I found the tractor on its side 1985? it had travelled a miraculous 3/4 mile without a driver through farm fields downhill to flop on its side at a brook. Its owner was found dead. The coroner believes he was dead as he fell out of the driver's seat to be run over by the right rear tire. First excavator I saw was after the 1979 flood here. A local aggressive contractor stepped out & bought two used John Deere excavators to repair flood damage at federal expense.

  138. #138Truck Shop2023-03-18 19:29

    Photo's of small excavation equipment dating pre 60's are kind of rare for some reason. I suppose someone has a collection but not much that I have found. Because of the dry land wheat farming around here there were far more crawler tractors than wheel tractors except for small truck farms and orchards. These photos are from Joe Drazan collection, many of these crawlers were built by Best. All photos are of the surrounding area.

  139. #139Truck Shop2023-03-18 19:32
  140. #140Truck Shop2023-03-18 19:33

    And a odd machine propelled by a Model T.

  141. #141Truck Shop2023-03-18 20:03
  142. #142Truck Shop2023-03-18 20:44

    A nice photo from years back NMP. D9G's

  143. #143John C.2023-03-18 23:43

    I tried to quote an earlier post on another page but couldn't. Anyway it was about earth moving prior to the 60s. My avatar is my dads brand new Koehring 405 in 1958. It has a shovel front installed in the photo and the machine was used building logging roads for the forest service to start with. There were no real wheel loaders then. Not long after the shovel front was removed and a crane boom installed and it used a clamshell for clearing land. He cleared land with it until about 1969 or 1970.

  144. #144DMiller2023-03-19 07:25

    Best can remember of Grandmother and Grandfather's old brownie photos(Gone to Nephew) were men with wheelbarrows, shovels and rakes did all landscape work around houses. ONCE in a great while a Mule with a drag bucket or small drag chisel harrow was photo'd.

  145. #145Willie B2023-03-19 10:03

    It amazes me that in my parent's lifetime these crawlers were considered state of the art. Earliest mention hereabouts of a dozer, my father & his brother in the early 1950s worked for Bellows Falls Ice Company. An old company went from ice harvesting to logging when refrigerators took over. They had two Caterpillar D7, one old, one new. Dad was in charge of the new one, his brother the old.

  146. #146Willie B2023-03-19 10:18

    I've never been south of Connecticut. I have the sense deep cellar holes are less common in the south. No frost heaving to worry about. Near every stick built house here has a full cellar. Early cellars with foundation walls of irregularly shaped stones weren't very deep. Taller you build a stone foundation, less stable. Marble industry here, & slate or granite nearby, made tall foundation walls practical. Probably averaged 5' below natural grade. If dug by hand, it must have taken half the building season to dig. Later, with concrete 7' depth was more average. While I wasn't born by then, I guess bulldozers were more commonly used. #131 is a very rare rig! I see almost no cable rigs that pull toward the machine to dig. Dozens of shovels in abandoned gravel pits here, never seen a hoe.

  147. #147JaredV2023-03-19 10:59

    When every farmer made his living with a Ford 9N/2N/8N tractor, a lot of it was done with 3pt equipment. My dad said he came home from school one day and his dad and uncle had dug a shallow basement with two 8Ns with dirt scoops for the new house. My brother has the county road department's old Ferguson TO30 (basically a meaner Ford) equipped with a loader which was an important piece of equipment for them for a long time.

  148. #148Truck Shop2023-03-19 14:15

    Known as a Fresno or Fresno Scraper-Those were still common in the 60's, I think you can still buy one. We had one on the dairy-used it for hauling the silt out of the irrigation pumping pond in the spring each year. Shoveled full then pulled it out with the 9N.

  149. #149DMiller2023-03-19 14:25

    Still see one now and then, local ag supply sells a Chinese made new.

  150. #150Pops522023-03-19 16:58

    Saw this one in Grass Valley several years ago.

  151. #151Tugger22023-03-19 23:30

    My Dad talked of Laborers that specialized in doing service trenches for houses ,sometimes 10 feet deep for water and sewer. They took thier tools seriously sharpened pickaxes and roundnose shovels. Ive had this cable backhoe for many years now. Its a 1952 Insley K12 Greater Vancouver Water Board when it was new. I knew the man that ran it in its newer days.It did all kinds of sewer and water work in the city and in later years (70s) sewer and water here. When i got it i couldnt wait to put a boom on it and make a crane,which i sold to another fellow that was building a concrete house. Years later he offered it back to me if i could get it off the site. I recovered it ,with its cable backhoe.It sits in my Heritage collection now.(polite speak for junkyard) One day i hope to rig it as a backhoe again.

  152. #152Willie B2023-03-20 08:51

    The three earliest backhoes I know of in my area, I don't know the exact years: George Connors had a 3/4 swing hydraulic excavator mounted on a military 10 tired truck. Austin Rumney bought new a Hop To Digger, a trailer mechanism he towed behind a two cylinder green John Deere dozer. He had a big contract to install guard rails on state highways. His digger has no bucket cylinder. I wonder if it never did, or if it failed somehow. EC Crosby & Sons, local farm store had a 1940 M tractor with trip bucket loader, & a pipe framed backhoe. It passed around through various Crosby family members until I asked to buy it C. 1979. He immediately sold it for $1000. to a local. All three of these machines are still around. I don't remember any of these being very effective as diggers.

  153. #153Old Doug2023-03-20 13:31

    I had a vcr tape of a early film of the quarry about 3 miles from here were they were loading the Jaw crusher with wheel barrows but i went to look at it a while back and it was blank. My dad helped dig his uncles basement with a model A and a slip scoop.

  154. #154Old Doug2023-03-20 13:45

    It took a person that was very skiled and patient but it was light years ahead of what they had before.I am loading #2 iron right now it takes a good half hour to load a ton with my stuff i would like to get a 7 ton loaded today. I cant scoop it up i have to throw about every thing in the bucket. I think my brother is coming tomorrow he thinks he can load me with his machine in a hour. Maybe he can but he has $59000.00 more in his machine than i do in mine.

  155. #155Truck Shop2023-03-20 17:03
  156. #156mekanik2023-03-20 20:17

    This 2 Ton looks identical but there were no Caterpillar logos on it. I was not sure who built it.

  157. #157Tugger22023-03-20 22:42

    A Buddy and i had this little crawler to haul shake blocks out of the bush when we were in high school. Tried some land clearing with it to,but had to go big and get an HD5 to really produce.Had a lot to learn about making clean piles back then.

  158. #158Willie B2023-03-21 08:01

    Friends have a Mead Mighty Mouse that size. I've never seen it run.

  159. #159Tugger22023-03-21 11:17

    That little guy above was made by Ransomes in England.Need i mention ive been fascinated by earth moving and lifting machinery from a young age.

  160. #160Tugger22023-03-21 11:30

    Might as well show off the whole collection,although i only have the D2 Ag.crawler left now. This stuff can get carried away.

  161. #161Truck Shop2023-03-21 21:08
  162. #162JaredV2023-03-21 21:25

    Looks like someone is wishing he'd started his cut farther up the hill.

  163. #163Truck Shop2023-03-23 14:59

    1937 Buffalo roller.

  164. #164Tones2023-03-23 15:01

    That would have sung some songs.

  165. #165Truck Shop2023-03-28 19:30

    Photos were taken in downtown Walla Walla. I have never seen a steam tractor like this.

  166. #166Old Doug2023-03-29 08:47

    They had 2 of these at a place i worked at . I was loading them and the first one lightly bumped the trailer neck the pin were the front steered had a crack in it and it went ahead and broke. They were headed to a auction we made a new pin and it made it on time to be sold.

  167. #16756wrench2023-03-29 09:43

    Those lead wagons must have had good tougues and reaches to take the strain of the other wagons on down the line

  168. #168DMiller2023-03-29 10:56

    Tricycle no less and a Vertical style boiler, Not very common.

  169. #169Truck Shop2023-03-29 15:48

    Did some digging--A Best steamer.

  170. #170Truck Shop2023-03-29 15:51

    Farming in the late 20's 30's.

  171. #171Truck Shop2023-03-29 15:52
  172. #172Truck Shop2023-03-29 21:24
  173. #173Truck Shop2023-03-29 21:25
  174. #174Truck Shop2023-03-29 21:30
  175. #175Birken Vogt2023-03-30 09:33

    Caterpillar, John Deere, and Oliver all on the same sign.

  176. #176DMiller2023-03-30 09:37

    Slowly headed to that same point as techs get thinner and thinner on quantity

  177. #177Truck Shop2023-03-30 11:49

    Slowly headed to that same point as mechanics get thinner and thinner on quantity.

  178. #178John C.2023-03-30 16:27

    Should mean more and more money for the mechanics. Techs are a dime a dozen now with all the tech companies laying people off.

  179. #179Truck Shop2023-03-30 16:34

    Should but it won't, IT technical have been plenty for a while now, actual mechanics not so much.

  180. #180Truck Shop2023-03-30 21:28
  181. #181Tones2023-03-31 07:08
  182. #182Tugger22023-03-31 10:27

    I notice some blather coming from the fearless leaders of our country (loosly used term) about right to repair regarding the fixing and supply of parts for old appliances,they seem to think this now might be a good idea. I wonder when they will see value in keeping all the old iron like some of the stuff above in working order instead of hacking it up and combining it with plastic and artificial brains for new throwaway junk. What abunch of rocket scientists.

  183. #183Truck Shop2023-04-01 16:50

    In action.

  184. #184mekanik2023-04-01 18:14

    My Grand dad's Cletrack. That my mother to the left of the exhaust stack. She would be 5 or 6 I would say so the picture was taken around 1940.

  185. #185mekanik2023-04-01 18:19

    A crawler? My great great Grand Dad. Taken in northern Alberta late 1800s I would guess.

  186. #186Truck Shop2023-04-01 18:25

    That's a great couple of photos Mekanik. Horse drawn? We have mules 33 of them in some cases.

  187. #187Truck Shop2023-04-01 18:27
  188. #188kshansen2023-04-01 18:34

    What's the conversion factor to convert horse power to mule power?

  189. #189Truck Shop2023-04-01 18:44

    A donkey.

  190. #190Truck Shop2023-04-01 18:50
  191. #191JaredV2023-04-01 19:36
  192. #192Truck Shop2023-04-01 22:01

    Horses weren't used that much around here, mainly because of hillsides. Horses didn't handle that as well as mules. Plus the mules would work all day according to a 100 year old farmer I know. Also didn't match in a hitch.

  193. #193Truck Shop2023-04-01 22:06

    Trivia--it seems when asked most don't know what year Caterpillar started or the fact it spawned from Best and Holt companies in 1925 in California.

  194. #194John C.2023-04-02 00:32

    Nor do they know about the landmark law suit.

  195. #195Tones2023-04-02 00:57
  196. #196Truck Shop2023-04-02 07:39

    That's true-I've only read bits and pieces, Do you know the whole story? If so tell it please.

  197. #197Willie B2023-04-02 08:36

    Hell! most of the people I know don't know what a bulldozer is. Painted yellow, it's a bulldozer.

  198. #198DMiller2023-04-02 09:34

    LOL!! Wife calls every piece of Yellow Iron either CAT or Bulldozer!!

  199. #199Tinkerer2023-04-02 09:38

    Was that the Holt-Best lawsuit in 1925 ?

  200. #200John C.2023-04-02 10:39

    You can read about the origins here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company The Caterpillar story about the law suit that was on the web has been pulled as far as I can see. The big issue from what I've read came from the invention and use of track type vehicles. The companies were making similar types of equipment and had over lapping designs that sparked expensive legal battles. The depression weakened both companies and the investors apparently forced a merger.

  201. #201Truck Shop2023-04-02 11:13

    I didn't find much about it. The forced merger is the interesting part. I bet that was a job getting both to set across the bargaining table .

  202. #202mowingman2023-04-02 12:35

    The Wikipedia article is interesting. Our son works for Holt Cat down in Texas. It is still a huge operation.

  203. #203DMiller2023-04-02 14:11

    Kind of like Fabick up Here. Been HERE Forever.

  204. #204Truck Shop2023-04-02 14:38

    Like most things that happened back then, the story is wide, covers many years, encompasses anybody building anything similar. From what I read the law suits went in many directions. But the same thing happened in the auto industry at that time although not well documented. That WiKi article could have been better constructed on strictly the time line of events.

  205. #205Truck Shop2023-04-02 14:40

    But Caterpillar actually started on this side of the Rockies--I like that.

  206. #206DMiller2023-04-02 14:53

    The origins of all the Crawler Tractor designs boil down to those two concerns, Best and Holt, their innovations and developments to improve farming became the end all for nearly every job needing materials moved.

  207. #207Truck Shop2023-04-02 15:00

    Funny thing is talking to a old Cat parts man {he passed away 15 years ago now} Cat sold more D4 and D6 crawlers in the Palouse stretching from Lexington Or to Spangle Wa than anywhere else. And not forgetting how many AC and IH crawlers mixed in the same area.

  208. #208John C.2023-04-02 17:27

    Cat has a DLMS training course that walked through the history pretty well. Unfortunately, I can't get there from here. The Palouse is a special area for dry land wheat farming. Lots of special ag equipment for harvesting wheat on side hills.

  209. #209Truck Shop2023-04-02 17:46

    The way it's farmed here and no where else, and the concept is different just 10 miles away too.

  210. #210Truck Shop2023-04-02 21:10

    Mayview Tram built in 1890 Garfield Co. 4,800 ft long 1,800 ft drop. Used to move grain from canyon top to Snake River.

  211. #211DMiller2023-04-03 06:49

    Wonder how much of that machinery still lays out there.

  212. #212Truck Shop2023-04-03 06:57

    I have never been there it's in a remote area. But a guy I talked to that fishes the river said some of it is still there.

  213. #213Truck Shop2023-04-04 19:49
  214. #214Truck Shop2023-04-04 21:17

    Around 2000 when I was still working for the Ag company I had to do a service call to the old Grant farm. I saw the same Case 20-40 in photo below setting in a barn. Probably hadn't run since the late 20's.

  215. #215Truck Shop2023-04-04 21:23

    Early rock crusher.

  216. #216Tyler d4c2023-04-04 21:29

    Somewhere a msha inspector a woke dreaming he had writers cramp

  217. #217Truck Shop2023-04-04 21:34

    That was a county run crusher, no body cared in those days.

  218. #218Tyler d4c2023-04-04 21:40

    I'm sure and most of them probably lived to tell the tail. Well the ones with any common sense

  219. #219Truck Shop2023-04-04 21:43

    Hair Ranch Aug 5 1955.

  220. #220Truck Shop2023-04-04 21:45

    Alto area circa 1920.

  221. #221Truck Shop2023-04-05 18:55
  222. #222Truck Shop2023-04-05 19:02
  223. #223Truck Shop2023-04-05 19:03
  224. #224Truck Shop2023-04-05 19:50

    Fageol Walking Tractor-division of Fageol Truck.

  225. #225John C.2023-04-05 19:55

    I wonder if that's the same Feenaughty that is still in business in Portland?

  226. #226Truck Shop2023-04-05 20:02

    With a last name like that probably so.

  227. #227kshansen2023-04-06 09:32

    Year ago I was at a hardware store down in Ohio. that deals a lot with the Amish people in the area https://www.lehmans.com/ . They had one of those Rumely's sitting out front. A customer asked about it and the owner proceeded to go out and start it up to prove it still ran! Not sure where it is now as I don't see mention of it on their web page. Did find a YouTube video of it starting! For some reason I don't think it is OSHA or MSHA.

  228. #228Truck Shop2023-04-06 10:01

    Most of todays society would die trying to operate equipment from that era. Their safety vest and personal protection equipment would get caught in a sprocket.

  229. #229mekanik2023-04-06 10:11

    This old machine is in Prince Rupert BC.

  230. #230mekanik2023-04-06 10:11

    A Couple more

  231. #231petepilot2023-04-06 21:45

    there are two of the rumly oil pulls that run in our local steam & gas show parade every year. both have home made rubber pads on the wheels that make for a rough ride on pavement.I have pics. of them some where will post them

  232. #232Old Doug2023-04-11 08:20

    This RD 4 is setting at the scrap yard i go to. Looks ok but i havnt ask about it.

  233. #23356wrench2023-04-11 09:32

    I would like a cute machine like that. It appears from here to be in reasonable shape with a lot of good parts on it

  234. #234Tugger22023-04-11 11:47

    Ive gotton a couple of really good crawlers off the scrappers.Just dont ask them to take parts off for you. They pulled a 6/71 with a Twin Disc torque out of an American for me ,litterly plled it off the machine with a scrap handler.Mashed the blower ,holed the block.

  235. #235Hank R2023-04-15 19:23

    My friend Mike in New Zealand sent to me from a show down under a few weeks ago

  236. #236Truck Shop2023-04-15 20:23

    That's a nice restoration!

  237. #237Tones2023-04-15 21:22

    I'm pretty sure I saw photos of it at Wheels at Wanaka this past Easter.

  238. #238Hank R2023-04-16 07:20

    Yes you did

  239. #239Truck Shop2023-04-20 22:36

    The Rea Farm 1950 J.H. Rea in center, to J.H's left is his son Hunt, and Stan Bishop on his right. The Rea Farm is still in operation farming 9,000 plus acres.

  240. #240Truck Shop2023-04-22 16:22

    Headed out Sunday morning to my friends farm near Starbuck just south of the Snake River. About 28 miles in no where land. He has a truck he wants me to lengthen the frame so I need to look at it. But while I'm there he has a few crawlers and so does his dad, so will get some photos of those.

  241. #241Truck Shop2023-04-22 21:08

    WARNING! Before watching this you need to have your favorite book as a kid setting near by, * Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.

  242. #242Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:32

    About those crawlers I photo'd today. First one-Dwight run it out of the barn where it had been setting for the last {almost} two years. It hadn't been started since parked inside, didn't even make a full turn and fired. Repowered with a DI-3306-1969 if he remembered correctly D6C with a added lower front counter weight for pulling a large cultivator. Because it is a straight stack he ran it up a incline and poured the fuel to it, has a real nice growl to the stack. The undercarriage, finals, cooling system have all been gone through at his farm shop, helps to be a EX Cat mechanic.

  243. #243Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:46

    Out in a barn across the road sets this antique. RD6 that hasn't turned a sprocket in decades. It was here when he took over the farm. A 3 cylinder with a access port for hand crank plus the pony motor, hand crank was still there laying in the dirt. But one unusual thing, this still has the accessory drive on the back to run a belt powered thrasher. He figures it hasn't run or moved since 1970 or so. Dark in barn so photos are not the greatest with my cheap camera.

  244. #244Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:48
  245. #245Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:58

    This JD-36B early hill side combine was setting in back of barn. Note in one photo the left side rack & pinion system for the leveler, the header was always on the up hill side only one side had the rack. L & I would love this today. Dwight said there is so much square link chain laying buried in the fields your constantly finding some dragging on a chisel point.

  246. #246Truck Shop2023-04-23 18:03

    And a few photos of crawlers his dad has the one is a D6C pre-cup 3306, hasn't ran in a while. But it does have A/C--a inside cab mounted swamp cooler.

  247. #247Truck Shop2023-04-24 13:22

    1957.

  248. #248bccat2023-04-25 00:12

    Really early rd6, big fuel injection pump, really nice shape

  249. #249Truck Shop2023-04-25 09:54

    Yeah it's really not in bad shape. We looked both sides of undercarriage over it's not totally worn out. Thinking about moving it over to the shop and see if we can make it run. We used the servicing hand crank-it isn't locked up.

  250. #250Truck Shop2023-04-25 10:37

    That RD6 was built somewhere between 1935 to 1937.

  251. #251Bluox2023-04-25 11:50

    If you've never heard one run you are in for a treat . Bad Bob

  252. #252Truck Shop2023-04-25 12:18

    No I've never heard one running, the pony turns and it didn't look like it has been altered or messed up. If we do it I will remove carb and tank clean it make sure it has compression first. then see what happens. It would just set by his shop near the road as farm art.

  253. #253Pops522023-04-25 15:07

    On a related subject, I think the best sounding tractor was a Cat 14A. This one I took to Ritchie Bros 20 years ago. I shoulda/coulda bought it from the owner for 15K. Excellent shape.

  254. #254bccat2023-04-25 15:38

    We had 4 3cyl cats, like Bob said they sound tough especially under a load

  255. #255Truck Shop2023-04-25 16:03

    Pops52-Here's one of a very few 14A's built for Antarctica.

  256. #256Oxbow2023-04-25 16:24

    There was quite an article about those that I read years ago. I wish I remembered more about it.

  257. #257Truck Shop2023-04-26 22:17

    Some years back I did a lot of work for this farm. Just north of Prescott past Skyrockets.

  258. #258bccat2023-04-26 23:52

    There is one for sale in Camas Wa , it was on Facebook

  259. #259JaredV2023-04-26 23:57

    I've seen that! It was far enough from the highway that it was hard to tell if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Glad to know that's what it was.

  260. #260Truck Shop2023-04-29 10:29

    This is the one in Camas Wa. Used to push sludge at the paper mill in later years. 21 were built I found out.

  261. #261Bluox2023-04-29 11:06

    Those tractors were built with a D353 motor the same as a D9 . Bad Bob

  262. #262Oxbow2023-04-29 18:53

    Interesting grousers.

  263. #263Truck Shop2023-05-01 22:41

    UW collection.

  264. #264Truck Shop2023-11-16 16:38

    Some A/C's I photo'd this morning setting hidden on the edge of town. Allot of old stuff on this farm. The 6-53 would have been a killer to set in all day. *

  265. #265Truck Shop2023-11-16 16:41

    An 11 repowered at 275 hp.

  266. #266Truck Shop2023-11-16 16:50

    One of the very few around here still using crawlers, although he has rubber bands also. *

  267. #267DMiller2023-11-16 18:20

    Surprised to see ACs still earning a living.

  268. #268Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:21

    No one said a peep about them detroits.

  269. #269Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:23

    He has a bunch to rob parts from on the fence line.

  270. #270DMiller2023-11-16 18:28

    AC used DDs for a LONG time before went to Buda's, not my choice for long duration use, kinda like the old Rice Burner crotch rockets put hands and feet to sleep, DDs do too, just replace to ears and butts.

  271. #271Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:36

    111.

  272. #272Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:46

    Well for the fact there is a resurgence and all this new found love for Two Strokes, Then there needs to be a come back---ALL YELLOW & ORANGE construction equipment should be powered by Detroit Two Strokes starting mid 2024.... for some reason I think all the faces will/would turn which says people really don't like them all that much do they .

  273. #273Vetech632023-11-16 18:58

    You should really champion this cause! It's only the right thing to do.

  274. #274Truck Shop2023-11-16 19:02

    No I don't think so--it would cause some to confuse me with {back slapp'in, tail gate beer drinking good ol'e boys} never belong to that.

  275. #275Oxbow2023-11-16 19:23

    I couldn't hear you . Lost a good share of my hearing in my right ear sitting next to a 671 in a John Deere 860A paddle wheel scraper.

  276. #276kshansen2023-11-16 19:32

    I probably lost a good amount of my hearing test running 16V-71's some with twin turbos in a shop just big enough to park one DM800 Mack. Did not have a dyno so basically just ran them for a sort time after a rebuild to as one guy called it "To check for leaks and squeaks"! Not really sure how we expected to hear the squeaks!

  277. #277Truck Shop2023-11-16 19:32

    Wonderful time wasn't it--outfit I worked for had a Raygo with a very short pipe.

  278. #278Pops522023-11-16 21:08

    I will. They sure sounded great running mud pumps and draw works on a drilling rig.

  279. #279Truck Shop2023-11-16 21:21

    Which goes to the point if those engines were so good-they should be a option in 2023. Can you imagine setting in this 11 for 10 hours day after day listening to that 6-71.

  280. #280Pops522023-11-16 21:40

    How bout the one with the muffs on top of the cab!! I’ll take the 743 any day.

  281. #281Truck Shop2023-11-16 22:09

    There is another laying out that has been cannibalized, it has v I'll go back and check someti Wonderful quiet machine.

  282. #282Truck Shop2023-11-16 22:10

    Bad photo of a old rolled bine.

  283. #283Truck Shop2023-11-16 22:11

    Adams.

  284. #28456wrench2023-11-17 09:58

    After about my second day of running a TS14, i bought a pair of earmuffs and never ran one without them. Same with running a dozer

  285. #285OzDozer2023-11-17 18:39

    I lost a good part of my hearing to a 4-71 in a Euclid S-7 elevator scraper. Sitting only 3 feet from a barely-muffled exhaust, and the military declined to issue ear muffs in those "good ol' days". They pay me for the hearing loss now, but it would've been cheaper to give me ear muffs.

  286. #286Willie B2023-11-18 10:03

    As a kid & into my 30s I barely thought of hearing damage. I did buy in my teens a pair of LEE Sonic Ear Valves, supposed to block loud noise while allowing less dangerous sounds. I used them a while, until I lost one. I went on using chain saws, shooting, motorcycles, grinders, tractors, snowmobiles, power saws, & loud music. My family accuse me of being deaf, though I pass my CDL physical. These days I ALWAYS have a pair of ear plugs in my pocket.

  287. #287Oxbow2023-11-18 11:45

    I was using ear plugs, but still lost some hearing.

  288. #288Nige2023-11-18 12:03

    All the old-school scraper drivers I knew were deaf in the right ear, so if you wanted to have a conversation with them in the pub you had to make sure you sat on his left…!!!

  289. #289DMiller2023-11-18 12:33

    Ear Plugs and Muffs only work to 120-125dB, above that the sound travels thru the bones of the Skull and Jaw, does little to any good as to Hearing Damage.

  290. #290Tones2023-11-18 15:25

    Do these sonic vibrations in the head cause eyesight and memory loss too. Just asking for a friend.

  291. #291Hank R2023-11-18 15:39

    After 32 years of driving school bus and 15 years on trucks cats etc. I am suffering big time loss for sure.

  292. #292Truck Shop2023-11-18 16:21

    With all the crawlers around here operated in dryland wheat---these were not operated at slower speeds as in construction-oh no these were running at higher speeds hour after hour or until the seed drill needed a refill. The high pitch squeaking/clattering was endless during spring and fall work. * The term High Performance goes along with items like Dual Carbs, Dual Exhaust Or Twice Pipes, Dual Point Ignition. Most are gone now but it was easy to spot a Old John Barley Corn around here because he was High Performance----He had dual hearing aids. * One of the biggest reasons a rubber band machine became a quick sell.

  293. #293DMiller2023-11-18 16:48

    Do not know, was the audiologist that explained to me

  294. #294Truck Shop2023-12-22 21:49

    My area, in some ways the video doesn't depict just how steep it really is. It's interesting riding along in a bine. *

  295. #295Truck Shop2024-01-03 21:23

    Yard art.

  296. #296Tones2024-01-05 06:21

    A Ruston Bucyrus shovel by the look

  297. #297Truck Shop2024-01-06 16:44

    Oh boy I just keep finding this two stroke crud--FB listed as 1948 Case-$1,500 better snap this one up fellers--it's just what's needed to help with hearing loss, you would be talk of the hood with gps installed, king of the weed patch. *

  298. #298OzDozer2024-01-06 18:42

    I love it! What a beast! Here's what we do with our local GM Diesel-powered Chamberlain tractors, we soup them up!

  299. #299Truck Shop2024-01-06 18:52

    Not much soup around here, mainly chili.

  300. #300td14steve2024-01-07 09:42

    These threads always remind me of sitting on a Vermeer T600 trencher with the detroit screaming away all day . even with hearing protection it was loud might have something to do with the tinnitus. Or maybe it was the water truck pump with the detroit and on and on....

  301. #301Truck Shop2024-01-07 10:03

    Thing is-------------------------------------------------------if these engines were so good, manufactures and the public would still be demanding them. Remember that great saying {Supply & Demand}? which is backwards it's demand first then supply. But 2 strokes went out of popular demand for a reason not just the EPA. * So if Ford, Dodge & Chevy all went to offering nothing but two stroke Detroits in the Big Nose pickups----just how long would that last before the demand dwindled to ZERO. I can see the lights coming on in the neighbor hood houses across the land after a few early morning starts with the stink & smoke, great for making neighbors friends.

  302. #30256wrench2024-01-07 10:54

    Well, in my opinion, they were done in by emissions and a narrow powerband. Truck drivers became lazy and didn’t like to shift gears as much. Generally, 5 & 4 transmissions and other combinations went out of style also as drivers got lazy.

  303. #303Truck Shop2024-01-07 11:09

    Exactly-smoke, stink & on the governor, obsolete. But still no one wants a noisy dirty engine in anything today. But they sure like to talk about how wonderful they were, just don't want any now.

  304. #3048V712024-01-07 16:18

    Not to get off the 2 stoke topic because I love talking about them myself, but I found these old pictures of my dad and my grandfather, when they bought their first brand new HD41 AC dozer. They loved that machine.

  305. #305Truck Shop2024-01-07 16:22

    That AC is just fine.

  306. #306JaredV2024-01-07 16:24

    Is Grandpa standing in a hole or are the tracks just that tall? I've never been near one.

  307. #307Truck Shop2024-01-07 16:35

    Fiat Allis HD-41 Here's a nice History Book:) of Allis-Chalmers . From its' beginnings , to the end. Author Norm Swinford Contains the early history from 1847 through 1982 . The AC HD-41 was built from 1970-'74 ; 1900+ dozers built. 524 Hp. The Fiat Allis HD-41B was built from '74-'82 ... HeavyEquipmentForums

  308. #3088V712024-01-07 16:43

    He is in a hole

  309. #309Tyler d4c2024-01-07 20:45

    Since we are on the subject of hd41s here's a few sitting in pa. Awhile back a guy was hunting parts and at that time I for the life of me couldn't remember where these where. Perhaps he'll find this if he is still hunting

  310. #310Willie B2024-01-08 08:58

    41 ton?

  311. #3118V712024-01-08 09:15

    70 ton

  312. #312Pops522024-01-08 13:37

    41-B for comparison.

  313. #313Hank R2024-01-08 15:09

    Spring 1975 I am 6ft 1in at Sparwood BC. A new D 9 and a HD 41 B

  314. #314Truck Shop2024-01-23 07:41
  315. #315Truck Shop2024-01-23 07:58

    Been trying to find a video of a large-like D10 under the snipper!!

  316. #31656wrench2024-01-23 10:25

    When i think of all the ‘good’ stuff that gets scrapped it really annoys me. We live in a throwaway society. Planned obsolescence at its finest. Especially the consumer items

  317. #317Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:27

    I look at it from a different angle. Imagine if every car from the Model T up were still around, every piece of construction equipment still around. Recycling is the best approach plus according to one thread a Cat 12 grader referred to as a knuckle buster, all the old horrible driving cab-over trucks that were built. No this stuff needs to go---for the simple fact you couldn't find a operator to operate it. People hate change-----but I would wager you won't find one person here gripe about that modern invention to help set grade---GPS

  318. #318Pops522024-01-23 11:49

    Soooo true, (but I still keep some maps just in case)

  319. #319Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:52

    Remember--that's just in case.

  320. #3201693TA2024-01-23 11:54

    I purchase a new Rand-McNally road atlas each year to carry along.

  321. #321Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:56

    Imagine if cavemen were around when the dino's went through mass extinction, they ate pretty good for a few days--then the thousands of rotting carcasses started stinking up the place, there was no dino recycling! It got pretty ripe I suppose.

  322. #322Pops522024-01-23 11:56

    Sometimes I just enjoy laying out a map and looking at all the places I havn't been......

  323. #323Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:57

    Not talking about driving the highway--the construction site only--got rid of the grade shooter in the trench.

  324. #324Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:58

    Won't be long with banning books--maps will go by the wayside too .

  325. #325sled dog2024-01-23 12:11

    Pops, look around antique stores and find old state highway maps. See the roads that were just gravel and the towns that no longer exist...

  326. #326sled dog2024-01-23 12:26

    As a matter of fact, I can reach out and touch a road map of Indiana from where I am sitting now. 1936, framed and hanging on the wall. Whoa.....the world was different then. Interstates weren't even thought about, improved roads were gravel, mains MIGHT be bituminus macadam. You can bet your *** the world moved slower then !!!

  327. #327Truck Shop2024-01-23 12:48

    Anyone who has driven the stretch of I-82 from mile post 1 to mile post 30 over the ridges between Ellensburg and Yakima knows what I'm talking about. A kid I went to high school with-his dad worked for {engineer} the state highway dept-Quote {that road bed with the corners supered the way they are was designed for 175 mph}. What the thought behind it was I have no idea. But I can attest to because a friend had a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 426, it took us 14 minutes to cover 28 miles. And it was finished/opened in 1972 IIRC------ Skyking would remember the year. Freeways have done allot for the advancement of the nation and did it in a short period of time, without the super highways progress would have been at a snails pace. Probably the biggest advancement that started in the 50's.

  328. #328sled dog2024-01-23 12:52

    We take so much for granted Truck Shop. The interstates weren't always here...

  329. #329Truck Shop2024-01-23 12:57

    I remember watching A.J. Jones finish a stretch of I-50 near Rancho Cordova. Most all of the equipment used was Euclid, some of those twin engine dozers pushing the biggest scrappers at the time, smoke rolling.

  330. #33056wrench2024-01-24 09:38

    I’m not saying keep everything. All stuff needs to be recycled eventually but i see a lot of stuff going in landfills that is still working just because someone has got tired of it and refuses to recycle it or pass it on to someone who can use it. Some equipment was junk even the day it rolled off the assembly line and i don’t have a problem with melting it down to make re-bar. The mobile scrap operators here are like vultures and take a lot of stuff they are not supposed to. They have to be supervised closely. I’ve been looking for one part in particular for 40+ years and i know damn well lots went for scrap so, ya I’m somewhat bitter

  331. #331Truck Shop2024-01-24 09:57

    I have no ties to anything or feelings for it--rather cold I guess. I look at most things like a tube of toothpaste once it's used up it's toast. I got that way early on in life, after living through losing the dairy. And from that I learned {don't get too sentimental about anything because there's some son of a b!tch just around the corner about to or planning on taking what ever you have}. Yes I look at old machinery, know somethings about it, but it's a inanimate object to me nothing more or less, and everything can be scrapped including a Duesenberg in my world.

  332. #332Truck Shop2024-01-24 21:47

    I see the thought of scrapping a duesenburg---is beyond the pale for some. Like I've said before/many times, anything with tires or tracks-it's hard to find a frying pan or stove big enough to cook it. Pretty tough to eat an inanimate object and lousy taste to go along with it.

  333. #333Oxbow2024-01-24 23:05

    Seems to be an odd perspective from someone who has spent so much time and talent memorializing old trucks in drawings.

  334. #334Truck Shop2024-01-25 07:49

    You can like a inanimate item-{truck, car, motorcycle and so on}, you can't love it, it has no feelings it's dead. All that can be said is it is pleasing to look at. With manufacturing technology in 2024--anything can be mapped and reproduced in nothing flat, and it's been going on for awhile now, take the tri-5 chevy's, every part/piece can be bought to reassemble a brand new 1957 chevy, same could be done with a duesenburg. Because of that nothing is really rare anymore. * There is a outfit that makes all the cab panels for a Kenworth W900 {vintage 1964 to 1982}. That old crawler being scrapped---it just looks bad to some peoples eyes, can't stand seeing it snipped--truth is they know why it's getting snipped-it's no longer useful and about 100% sure the cost of repairs exceeds the it's true value, otherwise it wouldn't be getting cut up. * Folks get way too attached to items and loose sight of what really has value. That old mack I built I felt bad for about two minutes after it went out of sight, just another hunk of cold steel. Every time there is some natural disaster, I feel bad for those evolved, but when I think some so called rare Corvette went airborne in a tornado--nah that piece of overated plastic can be replicated, so what. And with the amount of millionaires and billionaires this day and age anything can be bought/reproduced to fit narcissistic/ ego behaviors. * Back when I started drawing and rebuilding old stuff/well times have changed. One reason I don't draw or haven't or decided not to at this point is everything I do on paper really has no value except to me {and damn few others}. Living in the age of instant gratification no one wants what I do--they have a I phone that will capture any image no matter where they are anytime of the day. For the hours it takes to draw there is no value other than the satisfaction I might gain---because that goes back to everything has a price and monetary gain--which leads to--people can't take a breath without thinking about a dollar bill. Just knowing I have that talent is enough for me.

  335. #33556wrench2024-01-25 08:26

    I suspect my(and a lot of other people’s) interest in older stuff is that it takes my mind back to a time when i could fix whatever I wanted to with the training i have, with the exception of a couple of specialized skills. And of course i was younger and my body allowed me to do it. Now, the world seems to be going to hell faster and a lot of people’s attitudes with it. Some days my happy place is just repairing or tinkering with something old and maybe broken and ignoring the day to day bs. I like to know whats going on in the world but most days it’s pretty damn depressing. Its just one of the ways i cope

  336. #336Truck Shop2024-01-25 08:35

    Same reason I rebuild the 80's engines, some people want them still and something to do.

  337. #337Dom2024-01-25 13:10

    I'm with Truck Shop, best to have memories than material. Material is fine as long as it's still useable and doesn't require more wrench time, part searching than usage. I had a fast car in my 20's that I thought a few times that would be fun to be have again. I drove in a similar car and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Rather the memories, and newer gear that is better in almost every aspect.

  338. #3381693TA2024-01-25 15:53

    I'm one of those that could be called sentimental to older equipment. I have both the memories, and the material. To me it's more than just "cold iron" as it's part of what made me. If it's important to me, I'll make room to keep it. I've not driven my old Barracuda since mid 1996 when I rebuilt the engine but never reinstalled it, yet the car sets in the shop. Given to me once I garnered a driver's license by the original owner in 1976, it has personal meaning. I'm better than 90% positive my son was conceived in that car too, (is that personal enough)? Haven't driven my old Mack B-61 since 1999, yet it too sets in the shop. I purchased this from the original owner but knew the truck well in 1979. *** do I need a 32,000# Allis-Chalmers bulldozer for; I'm not a dirt worker but did operate this tractor when brand new from the manufacturing plant storage area to the loading area. Running across it many years later, (and needing some expense) it was acquired without much thought. I actually will have use/need of this machine next year. There is all kinds of crap around here I personally favor, but nobody else does and it's long paid for. Some hold down a bar stool. Some play on a lake drowning worms. Some sail the oceans blue. Many tell/boast of their grandiose travels; I do none of that. I hobby and play in my shop when I want. Selfish? no, not really as I don't ask, impede, or implore anyone to join me if they don't want to. Still have that same girl too; but never have considered her "old equipment".

  339. #339sled dog2024-01-25 16:41

    1693TA, WELL SAID !!!!

  340. #340Truck Shop2024-01-25 17:22

    Well here's one that's well said---If someone doesn't like my post and seeing old crap scrapped---it's simple don't look at it don't read it. Another thread I started, if people don't like it hit the ignore button. I like seeing that crap getting snipped, it needs to be snipped, as a matter of fact there to many cars in my neighborhood that are eye sores, those need to be snipped and the county is finally getting around to enforcing the codes.

  341. #341Tyler d4c2024-01-25 20:15

    Simply put old stuff with a purpose be it emotional or usefulness when well kept is one thing but a pile of I'm going to fix it or just piled up like cord wood is a totally other thing

  342. #342Truck Shop2024-01-25 21:20

    Yes the project truck,-----first off it's not a project, it's a job. This new age love of class eight trucks as a hotrod or I need a backhoe too my friend steve and jerry have one each, they are saying I should get one so we all can go group digging on weekends just like our weekend harley rides.

  343. #343Welder Dave2024-01-27 00:36

    I think a lot of people really appreciate your skill and love seeing your drawings. You have a talent not many others have. I think you could sell prints of your drawings for good money. I think they would also attract a lot of interest in an art gallery with an automotive theme exhibit. You're one of those people who is so good at something you don't realize just how talented you really are. It's kind of the same as people that are really good at racing motorcycles or a certain sport. Part of the reason they do it is because not a lot of other people can. It just comes natural. It is fantastic when you share your talents with us, whether it's drawings or help with repairing engines/trucks and building custom trucks.

  344. #344Truck Shop2024-02-04 19:09

    .

  345. #345Hank R2024-02-18 11:04

    I got from a friend this morning Turnadozer, Coalmont is about 10 miles NW of Princeton.

  346. #346Hank R2024-02-18 16:19

    My back hurts just thing what 4 hrs sitting in the seat would feel like, if I could hear again.

  347. #347Truck Shop2024-02-18 16:35

    Things like that--are the reason there is a eraser on the end of pencils. It was a concept drawing that crawled out of the round file and escaped. Which leads to the reason most early on aviation designers decided to hire a test pilot after a few died in maiden flights.

  348. #348MarcusZ19672024-04-06 07:47

    Repost of those crawlers plus.

  349. #349MarcusZ19672024-04-06 07:48

    One more

  350. #35056wrench2024-04-06 08:34

    That Fordson has to be quite rare

  351. #351Hank R2024-08-21 19:16

    IH TD 5 and a TD 9

  352. #352Hank R2024-08-21 19:17

    IH TD 9 that runs

  353. #353Welder Dave2024-08-21 22:22

    Is it a factory demo showing the different track pads available??

  354. #354MarcusZ19672024-08-22 05:16

    I'm looking at those pipes jus' right behind your head......

  355. #35556wrench2024-08-22 08:00

    I wish i had a running small dozer for the job i’m doing right now. I scored 200+ loads of free fill and i’m running out of places to put it

  356. #356Truck Shop2024-08-22 10:08

    *

  357. #357Tyler d4c2024-08-22 19:49

    Here's a few shoots I taken this week on the honeymoon.

  358. #358Truck Shop2024-08-22 20:21

    A real early Best. *

  359. #359Truck Shop2024-08-22 20:53
  360. #360Truck Shop2024-08-22 22:02
  361. #361Willie B2024-08-23 07:24

    Dayum! that makes for a long day! That Ford looks to be at risk of a rollover. 1935 truck?

  362. #362Truck Shop2024-08-23 09:02

    You know Willie allot of people would like to or think we should go back to the 50's, why stop there. These folks that work out in a gym, no need for that. All the work they can handle from sun up to sun down. No need for high vis vests or beards, get allot done too. No cell phones either. Folks back then didn't have service trucks, just a bucket full of crude looking wrenches. Wiped their ass with the leftovers of a old burlap bag too--nice and coarse--grabbed all the berries.

  363. #363Truck Shop2024-08-23 09:32

    I've got lots of these old photos----but of coarse these are not my photos. Find a over weight person in the cook house photo. Everyone of these guys tough as a piece of shoe leather. *

  364. #364JaredV2024-08-23 10:29

    I see even photographers back then weren't immune from trying to make things more dramatic. Looks like he couldn't resist tilting the camera to make it look stepper than he is. Or everyone has had too much to drink and can't stand straight.

  365. #365Truck Shop2024-08-23 12:50

    Most all of these were taken by amateur photographers, wasn't quite as speedy as the I-Phone.

  366. #366Willie B2024-08-24 20:08

    My grandfather died sort of quickly in 1942. He cut meat, killed pork & beef, had a dairy farm, 25 milkers, Rented space in the center of town where he had refrigeration, ran a meat market until 1937 when the building burned down. Then he moved buildings from Mount Tabor, a ghost town. I have no idea when he slept.

  367. #367Truck Shop2024-08-24 20:12

    People didn't lay around sleeping back then--there probably wasn't anyone to fend for you, you had to do it yourself.

  368. #368Truck Shop2024-08-29 14:03

    enough about things with tracks for awhile, it'll cause hearing loss just looking at them.

  369. #369Truck Shop2024-08-30 21:30
  370. #370OzDozer2024-08-31 10:47

    What makes me hear that old song, "Give me 40 acres, and I'll turn this rig around!", when I see this French half-track? Citroen-Kegresse P17 (1929) The Citroen-Kégresse P17 was the most common artillery prime mover halftrack of the French army in 1939. Many were also exported to Denmark and Poland. truck-encyclopedia.com

  371. #371Truck Shop2024-09-03 21:57

    Year 1925 JD-D. *

  372. #37256wrench2024-09-04 08:51

    It didn’t get that shine on the wheels from sitting still

  373. #373JaredV2024-09-04 21:17

    Those open steel wheel tractors look like a meat grinder to me.

  374. #374OzDozer2024-09-04 21:17

    I hate to think what riding that ol' JD would be like, with the bare steel seat, steel lugged wheels, and hard ground! Painful piles, prostate problems, and even damaged spinal vertebrae after many years of driving that thing? Rubber pneumatic tyres for tractor were still a number of years off, and it was only 5 years previous that trucks moved over to pneumatic tyres from solid rubber! Operators of today think a piece of equipment is totally substandard if it doesn't have a glass, fully enclosed A/C cabin with a premium sound system!

  375. #375Willie B2024-09-05 10:02

    It looks like the big leaf spring seat mount. I'd think that'd launch you over the moon after a big bounce. A New Jersey state trooper bought land here, was going to put in a mobile home as a hunting camp. Borrowed an old two cylinder John Deere dozer to clear the land. He was backing up, seat broke off. His wife watched in horror as it backed over him, killing him.

  376. #376Truck Shop2024-09-06 20:48

    Here Ozzy Dozer here's one you can elaborate on----. *

  377. #377OzDozer2024-09-06 21:11

    Someone's been having fun, photoshopping a photo of an old Holt tractor? It almost looks like something our old trucking buddy, Ted "Swishy" Beamish would produce! Seems like "Swishy's photo album" and his clever photo touch-up work have disappeared now, though. Beamish Heavy Haulage - Transport Solutions Servicing Melbourne We are the transport experts and industry leaders in transporting over-dimensional and heavy loads. Updated January 2022. beamishheavyhaulage.com.au

  378. #378Truck Shop2024-09-06 21:26

    It's only a small part of the Mahan Tractor collection. It's online. *

  379. #379Truck Shop2024-09-06 21:28

    The Mahan Collection Foundation Inc. The Mahan Collection Foundation Inc. 3,012 likes · 10 talking about this. We collect, restore, and display one of the largest Antique Mack Truck Collections in the world! www.facebook.com

  380. #380bccat2024-09-07 00:33

    Holt 10 ton, 1925 Best & Holt merger to form Caterpillar, Caterpillar Inc will be 100 yrs old next yr

  381. #381Truck Shop2024-09-07 11:12

    And to top it off---not everyone can say there town was a site for Holt, 606 W. Main, Walla Walla, Wa. *

  382. #382Truck Shop2024-09-07 18:01

    The Holt office 1909. *

  383. #383Truck Shop2024-09-07 18:13

    A story behind this photo--I posted several turn of the century photos of farming equipment on a FB antique tractor page, a day later I had a message about this particular photo. I didn't really pay attention to the individual other than he asked if I could tell him what year this photo was taken. I replied (1905}. His reply--That is my great great uncle Daniel Best driving the tractor. That is a photo that the Best family has never scene. We knew he was in Portland Ore giving a demonstration in 1905 but we could never verify that Daniel made it to Walla Walla Wa. Now we know----Thankyou very much for a huge piece of information missing from the families history of Daniel Best, wonderful photo too, from the Best family. *

  384. #384Truck Shop2024-09-09 15:22

    Some IH's I photo'd this mid day. *

  385. #385Truck Shop2024-09-09 15:24

    More.

  386. #386Truck Shop2024-09-09 15:27

    More.

  387. #387Truck Shop2024-09-09 15:28

    The last.

  388. #388kshansen2024-09-09 19:18

    What no Farmall BN's? I have one of those that I use to mow the back yard with and pull the fire wood splitter. Not real different than the "A"s but has the narrow front wheels and and an extension on the left side of the rear axle the same as the one on the right side.

  389. #389Willie B2024-09-09 19:50

    I live 1/2 mile from the IH dealer from 1930 to 1980. Most tractors near are IH. I've seen only one B. It had caster wheel front. A single tire was arranged rear of the spindle. I'm not cler why it was rigged this way. I believe most IH letter tractors were built & sold in midwest USA where fields are not steep. I wouldn't brag about the brakes. Tall stance, trycicle front, they were not sidehill tractors. My Cub was reasonable left side uphill, left downhill my pucker meter often was in alarm. The M is over 8' wide. It still makes me uneasy on a sidehill.

  390. #39056wrench2024-09-10 10:08

    Lots of old McCormick-Deering/IHC tractors here although the narrow front end is rare

  391. #391Truck Shop2024-09-10 16:56

    Row crops, find them where row crops were common, not necessary for hay & grain.

  392. #392Willie B2024-09-10 17:28

    I see it that the first practical tractors were offered in the early 1930s. Few could afford them. By 1939 the Farmall A was offered, they sold well despite Ford's offering being much cheaper. Throughout the Farmall letter series production they were MUCH more expensive than Fords, but many believed worth the price. Throughout the 1940s the H was most sold. About 27 HP, they were a light tractor, I can't figure out why they ware so popular. Concurrent with the H was the M, 40/41 HP at the drawbar, they were effortless to turn them up to 60 HP. My son's 1941 M showed 76 PTO HP on a dyno. I haven't dynoed my 1940 M. Daniel believes it has more than Seth's. These were tractors able to do a proud day's work in the 1940s.

  393. #393Willie B2024-09-10 17:38

    I say the dairy farm in VT began in 1939. Earlier farms were diversified. The dedicated dairy farm began 1939, ended (beginning of the end) 1985 with the Federal Whole Herd Buyout. There were tractors bought new in 1939, still in use in 1985. Bromley family has the first Farmall M here. We argue whether it is 1939 or 1940. No telling how many hours on it. Paint is worn off from corn stalks on the nose. At 67 YOA I remember when it was their big tractor. I love the IH Letter series, they are my history. My grandfather never owned one, if he could have afforded one he might have lived longer.

  394. #394Truck Shop2024-09-10 18:49
  395. #395Truck Shop2024-09-10 21:12

    Crawler dozer - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist 1936 international t20 Have the parts to make it operational. Need it gone. Make an offer, I have it loaded and can possibly transport. 541- nine seven 3 04 six seven medford.craigslist.org

  396. #396Willie B2024-09-11 07:08

    Doesn't look bad in the photo.

  397. #397Truck Shop2024-09-13 22:30
  398. #398Truck Shop2024-09-26 19:02
  399. #399Truck Shop2024-11-04 18:51
  400. #400Welder Dave2024-11-04 18:55

    You have a couple pics. that didn't show up.

  401. #401Truck Shop2024-11-04 19:00

    Yeah those were copies not saved images----so if I do post those, those automatically go blank.

  402. #402mowingman2024-11-04 19:54

    What brand is this. I was thinking LaPlant Choate, but it just does not look like those. Doesn't look much like a Letourneau either.

  403. #403Truck Shop2024-11-04 19:58

    The short story under photo mentioned it as being Letourneau.

  404. #404JaredV2024-11-04 20:04

    It's a LeT but I don't have my book handy to tell you what model. I think they might have called it a Model -- Roadster.

  405. #405DMiller2024-11-05 04:46

    Fine piece of experimentation!!

  406. #406Truck Shop2024-11-05 09:45

    40-80 Hart Parr. *

  407. #407Pops522024-11-05 11:20

    The guy working the plow is thinkin, " and I used to do this with 2 mules"

  408. #408Truck Shop2024-11-06 00:20

    For Sister Sarah.

  409. #409DMiller2024-11-06 06:01

    Love that movie!! Shirley was really funny!

  410. #410Dug Overburden2024-11-07 16:09
  411. #411Truck Shop2025-01-04 20:27

    Fordson Screw drive tractor for swampy land. Many copies through the years, including the yellow one. I think Vetech worked on it once or twice. *

  412. #412Coaldust2025-01-04 22:19

    Fountain Head Auto Museum in Fairbanks has a 1926 Fordson on loan from the Pioneer Air Museum. Fountain Head restored it and made it operational.

  413. #413Welder Dave2025-01-05 00:13

    There's a video on YouTube of one. I watched a show years ago that featured one. I think they could be used to make drainage channels. They could drive sideways too.

  414. #414Willie B2025-01-05 19:03

    I've seen several short films. Wierd machine, wasn't a sales success. Those I have seen were in snow.

  415. #415Welder Dave2025-01-05 22:35

    The video I watched was in the snow. I saw a large version of a screw drive vehicle on a show called Science International years ago.

  416. #416DB22025-01-06 21:21

    Is that a plate in place of the air compressor head ? What is under that cover on the RH side ? Looks to have a modified fuel tank.

  417. #417Truck Shop2025-01-06 21:22

    I would answer if I could but haven't seen it in awhile and just don't remember.

  418. #418DB22025-01-06 21:25

    Bet it sounded great under a load

  419. #419Truck Shop2025-01-06 21:26

    Oh yah it has a nice growl to it.

  420. #420DB22025-01-06 21:48

    Look at how clean that is ! Not a scar anywhere

  421. #421Truck Shop2025-01-06 22:02

    Yeah--it's days are done--put out to pasture.

  422. #422DMiller2025-01-07 04:57

    Just a Mouse House these days

  423. #423Truck Shop2025-01-07 07:44

    Just think---create the image of a large orange Hitachi with a large snip heading towards it like T-Rex, munch crunch! Along with that brand new Ford pickup box. *

  424. #424Truck Shop2025-01-07 07:56

    I like those WOW's,

  425. #425DB22025-01-07 17:22

    The Ford pickup box I could understand.

  426. #426Truck Shop2025-01-07 19:28

    Problem is 5's & 6's are laying all about in this area, antiques, very few few if any still farm with steel tracks. Everything is rubber band or quad plus a D6 has no Jackrabbit mode for high speed discing in a wheat field fire situation, a Challenger will just run circles around those old crawlers.

  427. #427DMiller2025-01-08 06:16

    Would take considerable effort to add blades and controls to make back to a Push Dozer, as well mucho denero to acquire the parts, just obsolete.

  428. #428Dom2025-01-08 07:31

    This is a question I feel stupid to ask, but I assume those crawlers could not go down the road? Did they have to be floated from field to field? Probably another win for modern rubber band tractors.

  429. #429MarcusZ19672025-01-08 08:22

    I'd say... Not much worry about roads when those were used...

  430. #430Willie B2025-01-08 09:58

    It's a big deal to avoid road damage from crawler tread. Tires can be placed to cross a paved road, but that would be a big job to move tires to go down a road. Usually they'd be on a trailer to move, or drive along the shoulder of a road.

  431. #431Birken Vogt2025-01-08 12:29

    Around here they would have a crossing place, and a pile of tires at the place. When you wanted to cross you threw tires in front of the tracks as you went.

  432. #432Truck Shop2025-01-08 16:24

    Just car tires-----but for most farmers around here that wasn't a problem. Many owned as many as three to four 6's and just kept them in sheds across whatever road. along with multiple sets of tillage equipment. Several also had green and red articulate wheel tractors with tag trailer to move crawler where needed for steeper ground. * And to the scorn of some that I bring it up--paid for by subsidy's.

  433. #433Tones2025-01-08 16:40

    Could pull a pan as is though. Nothing is obsolete, it's just pushed aside until some young fella in the future sees a job that can't be done any other way. Then everyone else says WOW.

  434. #434Truck Shop2025-01-08 17:52

    Around here a crawler is obsolete, you can't hardly find anyone that will go back to the constant shrill, squeaking-clattering noise of the under carriage plus the fact tillage implements have grown in size way past what these old crawlers will pull. Most are farming way more ground and the ground speed of crawler verses a rubber band machine doesn't cut it anymore. Plus way more hours on track system with rubber band and quicker to replace.

  435. #435Willie B2025-01-08 18:41

    I've been angrily challenged by farmers. I make the statement that tractors became dependable in the 1930s. In my area of Vermont I see the beginning of dependable farm tractors as The letter series Farmall by IH, (the dealer was local). Concurrent was the Ford 9N, & several other manufacturers we never saw. Dairy farms began in the 1930s. Before that, farms were diversified. Dairy farms were all we had from 1938 to 1985. After the Whole Herd Buyout, most VT dairy farms gave up. My grandfather was a farmer. He did NOT make a living on milk. He averaged 25 lactating cows at a time. Electricity came 4 years before he died. He cooled milk in a concrete tank with water running through it, or with ice floating in it. Early, there was a creamery in town. When the creamery closed, milk was shipped by rail. My grandfather never owned a tractor, but did have a "doodlebug" a homemade tractor from auto & truck parts. He died in 1942. To this day, I have never seen a crawler tractor involved in tillage. Wealthy farmers had them to build & maintain roads. Harry & Hugh Bromley had adjoining farms, each used a crawler in spring to gather maple sap. I have never seen a crawler pull a plow.

  436. #436Truck Shop2025-01-08 18:51

    This area Willie---despite what some would think or say----is where Caterpillar really got it's start. The land is steep, way too steep for wheel tractors. Holt & Best staked their claims right here in Walla Walla. Read the bottom line in the photo. *

  437. #437DMiller2025-01-08 19:58

    End of a era, just as with Mules.

  438. #438Truck Shop2025-01-08 20:42

    Correct--crawlers had there day and it went by by. And many more common items will go by by in near future.--all things come to a end---snip snip. *

  439. #439Pops522025-01-08 20:47

    TS Is this building still standing? It reminds me of the Coca Cola building that was in Santa Maria Ca.

  440. #440Truck Shop2025-01-08 20:58

    Yes and no--IIRC only part of it is left.

  441. #441Truck Shop2025-01-08 21:15

    Stone Machinery--shop here in town 1956.

  442. #442Truck Shop2025-01-08 21:17
  443. #443Pops522025-01-08 21:55

    I wonder what that HD7 sounds like at 2000 rpm’s. Sun up to sun down.

  444. #444Tones2025-01-09 01:55

    When I was younger and dumber would have loved it. In those days a tractor wasn't a tractor unless it had a straight exhaust pipe. Excuse me, I can see your lips moving, stop whispering.

  445. #445Truck Shop2025-01-09 05:08

    People just can't stand the thought of old technology like crawlers, trucks, cars whatever going by by. Can you imagine if all the old iron was still everywhere, just laying about, behind every barn, shop, front yards, inner cities, small towns across the nation. All the old ships laying about in harbors. And along with all that the amount of rats and rodents living in that old rusty crap. All because it {might} have a use someday, hoarding old inventions built of iron/steel. It's good it's recycled, and some of that recycled steel is used to build more------------Shears & Snips. *

  446. #446Willie B2025-01-09 08:22

    Interresting, you feel it is steep terrain that encouraged crawlers on farm land in other areas. I guessed it had more to do with soil. While I've never seen a crawler pulling a plow, the first local four wheel drive tractor was a Ford County. That farmer rarely used any of the other several modern tractors he owned. I'll say early 1970s he bought it. Right here, farm land is steep! Gives me a real pucker driving a tall tricycle tractor on sidehill land. I have a Farmall Cub, offset. It is pretty stable when downhill is on the right, turning around, I get the sense it'd go over on its side pretty easy. My M is well over 8' wide, but sidehills make me uneasy.

  447. #447Truck Shop2025-01-09 10:46
  448. #448DMiller2025-01-09 12:51

    Steep is a Mild descriptor word.

  449. #449Truck Shop2025-01-09 13:15

    very true---many of these hillsides on a combine with leveling capable of 33% incline run slightly over that.

  450. #450Dan_Bucket2025-01-09 13:22

    My father was in the Navy during the Korean War, part of his job including rebuilding engines for small boats of up to maybe a couple hundred HP. So back in the 1970's he got an Oliver dozer for free, like the photo attached so he rebuilt the engine, he pulled the pistons which he welded and machined(he then worked in a machine shop), replaced the rings, honed out the cylinders and got it running. I sure could use to have dad around these days.

  451. #451Truck Shop2025-01-09 14:05

    It's not my thought it's fact--in this area. Below is a half way decent photo I took this last year during harvest, note--the Deere combine is at 34% incline at this point. Maxed out and still tilting, in these situations the operator crabs the steering and header is slightly angled up hill, not uncommon for one to slide 8' or so. *

  452. #452Truck Shop2025-01-09 14:10

    In this documentary it will show many wheel tractors, but remember it was tractor show that brought every tractor manufacture here to show their machines. *

  453. #453Truck Shop2025-01-09 14:17

    The original site is only a few miles from my house, and pretty much flat ground. *

  454. #454Truck Shop2025-01-09 14:19
  455. #455Willie B2025-01-09 20:00

    Vermont has five zones. Southern is STEEP, only flat is the tippy top of a mountain, or near flat along a major river, otherwise it is described as perfectly flat, but stood on end. Central opens up a bit, there are a few near level meadows. North West is Addison & Chittenden counties. Huge flat meadows, made of the slimiest clay for 8 days after a rain. It rains every week. North East has nice farm land. Down the middle is the Green Mountains.

  456. #456Truck Shop2025-01-09 21:44

    The thing I like about this thread, it brings out all the {it could still be used ideas}. Yes I suppose these old crawlers could still be used. Now in this day and age given the advancements of a fully enclosed ROP high track against a old non-enclosed with ROP low track which one do you think people are going to choose? So the question exists-----just how many need to be preserved? I don't see anyone wanting to resurrect covered wagons-----there is a thought--a 12 valve Cummins powered covered wagon--the best of both old worlds. * I take the photos for remembrance---photos are much cheaper to store and take much less space then the real thing. * 4014 Big Boy--only need one for people to see.

  457. #457Welder Dave2025-01-09 22:55

    It is very impressive though especially considering how old it is. They didn't have computers and finite element design back when the Big Boy's were made. I'd imagine there were thousands of blueprints filling large rooms and hundreds of engineers. With a lot being rivetted means there isn't much margin for error.

  458. #458Tones2025-01-10 03:21

    A small crop farmer near me still uses a D4D for all his cultivation work. It's never had a blade on it, it's survived being under flood waters at least 4 times that I know of. I doubt any modern tractor would be recovered and repaired like what this Lil jigger has be through

  459. #459DMiller2025-01-10 04:36

    My only point is these antiques will still be available when the electronics ones are non-repairable.

  460. #460Truck Shop2025-01-10 15:00

    And my point is----most will be scrapped, . Parts where are all the parts going to come from? Injection pumps--who's going to rebuild those. It's all thoughts of {End of Days}, when that takes place just how many people are going to be worried about their Cat D series crawlers, none. * Other than the C15 is electronic and the Cat B model is mechanical---The C15 is by far easier to work on. Just replacing a camshaft between the two is night and day. As much as people want to hold on to the old-------the old is done. I know that bugs the **** out of folks but 2000 was a quarter century ago and the era of the low track crawler is a half century ago and a little more. * One way to solve the idea---A law---being a certain person in the country likes wild laws. Anything older than the first battery powered impact tool has to be worked on with only hand or air tools. * Want to run old crap then use old crap to work on it with. I don't have but one battery powered drill .

  461. #461Truck Shop2025-01-10 16:03

    A few lurkers have showed up.

  462. #462Truck Shop2025-01-10 16:51

    In the early days where the fire is today. *

  463. #463DMiller2025-01-10 17:54

    Was a NIKE Missile base there long ago, has a park where it was. Old Cable Cats and a Corn Binder truck.

  464. #464Truck Shop2025-01-11 17:03

    truuck would be ok with a hemi in it.

  465. #465DMiller2025-01-11 18:49

    I like that model of Corn Queens, style is grand compared to others.

  466. #466Truck Shop2025-01-11 20:19
  467. #467DMiller2025-01-12 05:05

    Went from Style to fugly. V series at least regained some style but retained that damn cab.

  468. #468Truck Shop2025-01-12 10:51

    They should go back/return to using that cab-----it's SO International.

  469. #469DMiller2025-01-12 11:58

    Still have sore spot top of head from those!!!

  470. #470Truck Shop2025-01-12 21:06

    Wood Gas. *

  471. #471DMiller2025-01-13 06:23

    Many do not realize were many different fuels not 80 years ago.

  472. #472Truck Shop2025-01-13 09:43

    During late 30's 40's & early 50's wood gas was common, especially during the BIG WW2.

  473. #473Willie B2025-01-13 12:36

    Only gassified wood engine fuel I've seen was a ?1932? Ford bus, had at one time been a Yellowstone tour bus. Duncan Syme, inventor of the Vermont Castings stoves built a wood gasification trailer. A sealed container was surrounded by a fire box. The wood being gasified were birch thread spools. Fueled the bus which in turn gave rides to people.

  474. #474Truck Shop2025-01-13 18:53
  475. #475Willie B2025-01-13 20:22

    Twin Detroits, Articulated, left track wasn't always parallel to right. ?One engine for each track?

  476. #476Tyler d4c2025-01-13 20:27

    WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

  477. #477Truck Shop2025-01-13 20:41

    Known to cook or freeze the operator--but that's ok it's a operator.

  478. #478Truck Shop2025-01-26 21:25

    Monkeys always look!

  479. #479Welder Dave2025-01-27 00:41

    Not even close to the scream of the TC12!!

  480. #480Tones2025-01-27 19:11

    The only thing that screams more than a TC12 is 2 of them. Then add a TS24 and you have 3 buzzn dozen.

  481. #481Welder Dave2025-01-27 21:01

    The Hopto H1900 excavators and Raygo Giant grader could certainly join in the symphony with twin 8V-71's! All time greatest screamer is the huge Letourneau LT360 scraper with multiple 12V-71's. Not as common but I think the 53 series make the most noise of individual engines.

  482. #482Oxbow2025-01-27 21:36

    No need for backup alarms!

  483. #483Truck Shop2025-10-11 14:22

    Holt Midget--1912 to 1915. *

  484. #484DMiller2025-10-11 15:00

    Likely took a man and a half to maneuver that midget

  485. #485Truck Shop2025-10-11 22:32

    Midget likely kicked the sheet out the man and a half.

  486. #486skyking12025-10-12 00:19

    I love that weathervane wheel direction indicator. That is art.

  487. #487Willie B2025-10-13 08:23

    Does the midget use two track brakes to steer, or only the front wheel? When I see one of those leaf spring seat mounts I cringe. A New Jersey State Trooper bought vacation land in a remote town in VT. The farmer sold the land loaned him an antique Deere dozer to prep the land for his house site. While backing up, the seat broke loose, dozer killed him with his wife watching.

  488. #488Truck Shop2025-10-13 08:28

    Don't know on steer brakes, and yes those Linderman Deere crawlers were killers, originally designed and built in Yakima area. After riding around on those seats, butt looked like a waffle.

  489. #489Truck Shop2025-12-16 19:51

    Rumley Oil Pull tractors manufactured in Indiana. *

  490. #490Truck Shop2025-12-16 22:03

    This Case 20-40 1913 I had talked about in another thread is up for auction with one day left @ over $17,000 bid on it at this time. Booker Auctions Eltopia Wa. Be interesting to see final bid. I looked this over about 20 years ago. Kerosene burner. *

  491. #491Welder Dave2025-12-17 02:54

    I mentioned it a few years ago but one of (former) store managers of the industrial supplier I worked for owned the most complete original Rumely Oil Pull in N. America. It was in pieces when they first got it but found I think 90%+ of all the bits and pieces to restore it to fully operational. Some were being used for the oddest things but the tractor never strayed too far from where it was originally used. You stood on the rear wheel and pushed a flywheel with your foot to start it. The place with all the vintage equipment I visited a couple years ago also had a Rumely but a smaller model. They would run a variety of different fuels which was a good selling point.

  492. #492Truck Shop2025-12-18 14:10

    That 1913 20/40 Case above in post #491--hammered at $70,750.

  493. #493Truck Shop2025-12-18 17:49

    Tow one to Portland tonight, seems one of the X15's has developed a knock at 430K. Warranty is good to 600K. But I'm not excited running the gorge in this wind. Right now it's low but suppose to pickup some later.

  494. #494DMiller2025-12-19 06:40

    Two at the previous employer are at Dealer for Knock. Both towed there. Might get to sometime January.

  495. #495Truck Shop2025-12-19 19:08

    Had to drop back to 50mph for a good part of it to keep the fairing on top of cab from going air bourn. But traffic was light both direction because I-84 was closed both directions from MP216 Pendleton to the 276 Baker City from all the snow & crashes the day before. 204 over Tollgate was closed from all the tall firs blown over crossing both lanes. So traffic was slightly sparce for a Friday. Brought the knocker back and dropped it in Pasco. Done with that escaped.

  496. #496dayexco2026-01-21 18:43

    my dad had a twin to this mounted on a twin screw ford cab-over. 4-53 detroit.

  497. #497dayexco2026-01-22 22:05

    here's a hopto 300 he had mounted on a cabover ford also.

  498. #498dayexco2026-01-22 22:06

    hopto 200 on ford cabover.

  499. #499dayexco2026-01-22 22:08

    and the drott 40 mounted on ford cabover.

  500. #500Welder Dave2026-01-22 22:39

    The guy that put in our cistern had a much newer Hopto on a tandem truck but I think it was a specialty truck like a crane carrier truck rather than a standard tandem truck. He kept it in great shape and pulled his 1 ton flat deck behind it. I looked on the net but couldn't find a similar pic. of it. It was a fairly large excavator. It was very similar to the 300 pictured above but bigger. Maybe a 350 or whatever the next size up was. I'd guess it was late 60's or early 70's.

  501. #501dayexco2026-01-22 22:51

    i "think", they came out with the 360 and the 550. i think the 550 would have been too big to truck mount. my dad's 300 did not have 360 rotation. i think it was like about 300 if i remember correctly.

  502. #502Welder Dave2026-01-23 04:04

    It looked to be about 3/4yd size but that was back about 1979/80. If a 300 could go on a single axle I'm sure it was bigger. I can't remember it having outriggers but maybe it did. Pretty sure it had 360 rotation. Did some more looking and maybe it was 500. I found info they were 17 ton crawlers but could be truck mounted.

  503. #503Truck Shop2026-02-09 21:35

    988. *

  504. #504Welder Dave2026-02-10 05:10

    I've seen that loader before. I wonder if it would be hard on the axle's and driveline having a mix of tracks and tires? On a std. loader different size tires can cause damage. With the tracks on the front there could be a big difference in traction too.

  505. #505oarwhat2026-02-10 06:51

    WHY???

  506. #506Truck Shop2026-02-10 10:10

    Your guess is as good as mine.

  507. #507Welder Dave2026-02-10 17:49

    Maybe the same reason they put heavy chains on mining loaders? I could see better flotation in soft conditions but big loaders don't work in soft conditions.

  508. #508Tones2026-02-10 20:23

    Until this jigger came along. Could have been job specific

  509. #509Hank R2026-02-10 22:46

    Here in BC the big pit Loaders run chains on the tires so i if there is wheel slippage tires do not get cut and wreck tires. Our mine on the new 944 has chains on all 4 corners then after a year of so they put the rears on the front. which gives a lot longer tire life.

  510. #510Truck Shop2026-02-11 04:15

    The caption to that photo implied it was a cat item==don't know.

  511. #511Tones2026-02-11 04:30

    I reckon it's a early version of Logering VTS track system prior to rubber tracks. Bombardier which became ASV used this system

  512. #512Willie B2026-02-11 07:31

    I'm inexperienced, and I live where soil isn't hard. Typically a loader is diging into virgin earth in a gravel pit, sand pit. I've never understood the need for heavy track loaders. It seemed a rubber tired articulated loader was enough. Other places, Spud Monkey comes to mind, need tracks to dig.

  513. #513Hank R2026-02-11 10:49
  514. #514Mr. Wrench2026-02-11 17:35

    It always seems like the buckets are little compared to the size of the machine.

  515. #515Welder Dave2026-02-11 20:29

    I think the tracks on the front of a loader was something Cat experimented with.

  516. #516Truck Shop2026-02-11 21:31

    With old photos unless it is corporate with original captions--I don't put much trust in open comments directly related to photo. A dated corp press release or dated article in some magazine from that time period is fairly trust worthy. This last week I saw a reproduction of a 1939 J series Sterling, It was built from parts and pieces of a military version using a Peterbilt nose originally and the cab wasn't a Sterling either built during WWII. The reconstruction was a true J series but the base of it wasn't, many parts hand made. I made a comment about the fact the military version wasn't considered a J. A group expert came back with a serial number that had a J-C in it saying yes it was a J series. Problem is The True J Series only had one J in serial number. So what happens is what's not so correct becomes correct if repeated enough times, and all is blurred. There are no real J series left in existence, only a made up one. J Series below.Plus red reconstructed one.

  517. #517Willie B2026-02-12 07:19

    That is one elaborate grill.

  518. #518Truck Shop2026-02-12 08:11

    In the 1940 movie {They Drive by Night} a "J" series Sterling was used in filming distant shots. *

  519. #519Truck Shop2026-02-17 21:42

    Holt 60.

  520. #520Truck Shop2026-04-17 22:31

    Minneapolis Moline Model R--has a unique engine design--the rockers are about 12" long and operate on a pivot to horizontal intake/exhaust valves. The rockers run directly off camshaft. Engine was a Duesenberg design. A video to explain better. *

  521. #521Baxsie2026-04-18 00:34

    We had a MM R. My favorite little tractor. ( my M F-65 is still the bes t ). Pulling the hay trailer, turning hay, pulling the pipe trailer. Hand clutch, ineffective brakes, no live PTO. But it was always reliable and dependable. The day of our senior prom (~1982) , Kip and I loaded up 40 bags of grain on the back of our 2-wheel trailer. Dad was seeding in the north 40. Then we took off down the big hill. I was driving, Kip was riding on the trailer -- standing up of course. The imbalanced load had me fishtailing in no time. Soon it caught rim. I was tossed into the gravel on the side of the road, Kip surfed the trailer until it came to a stop. The poor old R was 180° upside down, still running, lots of blue smoke as it finally coughed and died. The seed grain bags were everywhere on the road. I have no idea how I didn't end up dead squished on the pavement under the tractor. I was a budding mechanic, so dad found another R. It was not running, but had all the accessories (radiator, fuel tank, hood, fenders etc). I moved all those accessories onto the original tractor and it continued to serve us well.

  522. #522Welder Dave2026-04-18 02:31

    I know some guys on a farm that bought a similar looking MM at auction for cheap. It ran great but the wheels were rusted bad and they never really used it. There was a scrapper nearby at the time and they took it and bunch of other old junk there cleaning up the yard. I'd thought someone might be interested in the engine for a restoration since it ran really good.

  523. #523Truck Shop2026-04-18 07:48

    We had a MH 101 on the dairy along with a few other makes. *

  524. #524Truck Shop2026-04-18 10:15

    We also had a ** 35--it was a probably the best one. *

  525. #525Welder Dave2026-04-18 15:43

    MF35 and later derivatives are the most sought after acreage tractors. I have a 1965 MF135UK diesel that's near the top of the list. It's the most reliable machine I have.

  526. #526Truck Shop2026-04-18 16:16

    I don't remember how we ended up with it, but tractors that size fit in loafing sheds and vineyards which is what we had, good for all around farm use.

  527. #527DMiller2026-04-19 06:59

    25-55hp decent sized, my old Allis Is 74 rated and a taste Bigger more awkward as a 4020 Deere is. Step further and go to 100+ hp lines, big tractors.

  528. #528Willie B2026-04-19 07:19

    By chance & preference I have mostly International. The dealer was 1/2 mile away, and since the 1930s local farmers have had IH unless they bought something at an auction. Fords were also somewhat common. 1965 I wanted a go kart, dad didn't think that was a great idea, bought me a 1950 Farmall Cub. 1987 me & Mrs. bought land, I needed to bush hog, I needed a cheap tractor. Bought an International B275 for $1100. It did not prove to be cheap when the crankshaft broke. Rebuilt engine, it's still used for wood splitter. Now have two Farmall M, a 385, JD lawn tractor & a Mitsubici 4X4 compact diesel.

  529. #529Welder Dave2026-04-20 15:40

    Tractors like MF35's, 135's and 165's can cost as much used or more than what they cost new. Massey had the best 3 pt. Hitch set up

  530. #530Tones2026-04-20 16:49

    It was a Ferguson invention that changed agriculture forever.

  531. #531Welder Dave2026-04-20 19:31

    The Advanced Ferguson system on the 100 series was the best. Brilliant engineering! Only problem is the 3pt. creeps down. This isn't a flaw and Massey didn't think it was too big of a problem. It's annoying if you have a loader ran off the 3pt. hydraulics and have an implement on the back. You have to occassionally switch the hydraulics to raise the 3pt. The fully adjustable draft control was superior to other systems. A lot of tractors just have lift and lower. Pulling a plow, cultivator or even a heavy drag beam with teeth really makes a difference with draft control.

  532. #532Baxsie2026-04-21 01:02

    Here is how I tackled that on my 1962 M F - 65:

  533. #533Welder Dave2026-04-21 03:01

    A front pump is best but not everyone wants to pay to put one on.

  534. #534Baxsie2026-04-21 03:34

    My PTO pump was pretty old and I think I ruined it by having an intake filter (causing cavitation) instead of a return filter with bypass. Plus having it always occupying the PTO was a pain. The front pump was less than $300 - but all the other stuff did add up.

  535. #535DMiller2026-04-21 04:28

    Allis was a major innovator on 3pt. Live hydraulics off the engine as a accessory drive not nose or transmission mounts, as well as the Torque Tube Power Director that was installed on the C, D series and improved on the 100 series. Another innovator was Oliver where the 3pt was Power Down as well up, IH produced models with that as well. Implements did ot tend to Float but could be maintained at depth.

  536. #536Truck Shop2026-04-21 05:57

    I guess the only mildly intriguing part about farm machinery for me is what baling wire design is the engine configured from in early days of john barleycorn-ery. Friend started his 6622 combine for demolition derby next month, he won last year. Need to have tractor demo derby's-s.

  537. #537Truck Shop2026-05-25 20:11

    933K views · 9K reactions | Eclipse steam engine differential lock explained by Dave in reference to the steam engine hill climb video. Thank you so much! For those asking what's it on, this is the answer here https://youtu.be/YrDYrXg6Nfs | Will Smit Eclipse steam engine differential lock explained by Dave in reference to the steam engine hill climb video. Thank you so much! For those asking what's it on, this is the answer here... www.facebook.com

  538. #538Baxsie2026-05-25 21:44

    That looks complicated to deploy. Certainly not doing it from the driver position !

  539. #539Truck Shop2026-06-03 21:50
  540. #540Willie B2026-06-04 06:33

    IH had a two point hitch, it was a good design, but not interchangeable implements. You had to buy implements specifically made by or for an IH tractor. Conversion kits were offered, not real popular.

  541. #541Coaldust2026-06-05 00:49

    Here is a Cat Sixty with a dual Willamette winch. Sitting on the beach.

  542. #542Coaldust2026-06-05 00:55

    What do you believe this thing is with the Bucyrus-Erie dozer attachment?

  543. #543td14steve2026-06-05 06:00

    Looks like a mid 30s IH TD35 or TD40 looks like it retired to the beach.

  544. #544Willie B2026-06-05 07:09

    When I was a young man, an abandoned TD9 was on a small piece of land I knew to be owned by a very old man who lived in another state. I approached him, asked to buy it. Days later I saw it being loaded on a trailer. It seems my inquiry must have started him thinking about it. The blade was built by another company in that era. Bucyrus/Eerie built the first hydraulic blades for IH. IH used the same tractor as a track loader, (with alterations) some had Drott skid loaders. Not sure if this was manufactured simultaneous with cable blade machines?

  545. #545Truck Shop2026-06-05 08:01

    Yeah it looks like a IH TD40. *

  546. #546Truck Shop2026-06-08 22:21

    Lindeman crawler, built/designed by Jesse Lindeman in Yakima Wa. Lindeman Power Equipment was bought out by John Deere which continued to build Deere designed crawlers. It was mainly for orchard use. *

  547. #547Truck Shop2026-06-12 09:17

    1946 Oliver HG42, Hercules 2 cylinder. *

  548. #548Deere500a2026-06-14 12:15

    New video on YouTube of a ex Seabee Eimco dozer rescue.

  549. #549Truck Shop2026-06-14 14:25
  550. #550Truck Shop2026-06-14 14:40

    Tail seat D4.

  551. #551Truck Shop2026-06-14 14:40
  552. #552Deere500a2026-06-14 20:31

    P&H excavator? special puppies can't save'em all

  553. #553Deere500a2026-06-14 20:34

    Sad no American builder cared to keep up Bucyrus Erie sold the same hoes til 84

  554. #554JaredV2026-06-14 22:26

    Must be this one

  555. #555DMiller2026-06-15 08:44

    At least Ran and Moved on its own.

  556. #556Truck Shop2026-06-15 09:11

    True---but most everything in this entire thread is not viable for use. A good use for South Dakota would be a national dispersal site for entire nation. A collection site with one of everything a huge museum. If there are two one gets scrapped, only need one of everything for representation. A huge smelter on eastern edge closest to steel recyclers. Starting with old Peterbilt's & Kenworth's first followed by Duesenberg's. s

  557. #557Truck Shop2026-06-15 21:29

    Another good set of photos of a Lindeman crawler, with JD tag showing buyout rename. *

  558. #558Welder Dave2026-06-17 02:34

    What make is that? Not a P&H because the cab is on the left.

  559. #559Truck Shop2026-06-17 10:34

    Don't know, it was mixed in with a bunch of photos of hoarded old equipment that was going up for auction.

  560. #560mowingman2026-06-17 10:44

    Hop To Excavator??

  561. #561Truck Shop2026-06-17 10:47

    Someone needs to make a Hip Hop.

  562. #562DMiller2026-06-17 12:02

    Found on CL is a HYDRA UNIT Excavator - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist Hydra Unit Excavator. Located in Trout Creek. Call for information. missoula.craigslist.org

  563. #563Welder Dave2026-06-17 12:45

    I figured it was something like that. One of the very few US made excavators with the cab on the left.

  564. #564Truck Shop2026-06-17 14:23

    Good--I didn't want to spend the time looking, I only posted for page filler.

  565. #565Truck Shop2026-06-24 19:02

    Rare 1950 D4 Electric--kids play dozer, some were pedal and some gas. *

  566. #566Willie B2026-06-24 19:45

    I may have to take a new photo, I likely can't find the old one. Friends have a MEAD MIGHTY MOUSE dozer. I think 1950? era. It has a small Wisconsin engine.

  567. #567Truck Shop2026-06-26 15:12
  568. #568Willie B2026-06-26 18:09

    I can't read the logo, is it American Road Maintainer? I feel the tractor is IH Farmall, I'll look into that. These machines have fascinated me since my first. In the 1940s, mostly late 1940s a number of new machines based on older machines blossomed. There was a flood of machines utilizing military surplus components. ARM might have been earlier than World War II.

  569. #569DMiller2026-06-26 18:13

    Allis Called theirs a Speed Patrol Grader, for whatever reason.

  570. #570Willie B2026-06-27 06:50

    I can't speak with authority, I believe companies like American Road Machine used a variety of farm tractors to adapt. It seems ineficient to build adaptaptations from several tractors with different specs. I've seen ARM road maintainers from IH Farmall M, Mineapolis Moline, Ford 8N, and a few others. The Austin Western Badger was a 3/4 swing cable shovel powered by an IH F30.

  571. #571Deere500a2026-06-27 12:39

    Like the Badger here's a Michigan with a AC model U. If a machine idea was good there was copies.

  572. #572Deere500a2026-06-27 12:42
  573. #573Deere500a2026-06-27 15:15

    Something new didn't know Henry Ford's brother/family made Wilford swing shovels in the 1920s.

  574. #574Willie B2026-06-27 15:56

    Says Bay City. Bay City was well known for more conventional full sting cable shovels & cranes. I can see no mechanism to swing. I'm not clear what its purpose was, maybe a crane for some specialized job. Early McCormick Deering farm tractor is the heart of it.

  575. #575Deere500a2026-06-27 16:25

    It's on a turn table.

  576. #576Willie B2026-06-28 07:17

    It's near my son's house, I'll study it next trip. I said no turn table, now I don't know.

  577. #577Mike_272026-06-29 04:43

    It has a turn table. If you make the image full size you can see the gear for swinging under the plate the foot pedal is attached to.

  578. #578Truck Shop2026-06-29 08:03

    Should go back to hand crank starting, how many know how to use a crank properly? Imagine hand crank autos with auto stop, people jumping out at intersections to fire up the suv/quad cab and it shuts off before they get back inside. Orthopedic surgeons could make a few extra bucks with all the hand/arm/shoulder injuries. But look at the cost savings of mag ignition and no starting system, all the battery, starters, switches, relays and wiring to get rid of. Put a chip in the crank handle to stop theft and just carry it with you where ever you go. Carhart could come out with a new style of cargo firehose pants with a special compartment for carrying your extra crank.

  579. #579Deere500a2026-07-02 10:22
  580. #580pittsburgh cat man2026-07-02 11:27

    I remember crank for pony on cat d8 2 u mason jar for a precleaner always seeed it be in the way didn’t take too long for you to remember to remove it before starting

  581. #581Deere500a2026-07-03 10:46

    Rare look at the operator hazing the new guy something no does anymore for safety. Operator ya I got my foot on the brake jump there & crank it over

  582. #582Truck Shop2026-08-15 20:21

    5.1M views · 45K reactions | 80,000 FACEBOOK FOLLOWERS SPECIAL!! We had to find something worthy of 80K, and I think this qualifies… A Drott or tracked front loader, going through the shear! ✂️ Tracks, chassis, bucket, the lot. A proper old piece 80,000 FACEBOOK FOLLOWERS SPECIAL!! We had to find something worthy of 80K, and I think this qualifies… A Drott or tracked front loader, going through the shear! ✂️ Tracks, chassis, bucket,... www.facebook.com

  583. #583DMiller2026-08-16 04:31

    All good machines come to an end

  584. #584Truck Shop2026-08-16 04:50

    Even the bad ones, may as well recycle. The truck salvage yard 50 miles from here I've used for years, most trucks are 60% salvage before scrapped some as much as 70 plus %. They get premium for sniped frame rails to length for prepared scrap. Better to see that than hulks laying about the countryside, otherwise it's wasted steel. Not sure but a outside sales guy that works there said a few years ago, same company was thinking about starting a equipment salvage yard also.

  585. #585HarleyHappy2026-08-18 11:45

    Sure, lots of steel plants around. Everything thats recycled, to my knowledge goes overseas. In some countries, to build aircraft carriers, or comes back in everything, including ****** buckets that won’t weld for crap!

  586. #586Truck Shop2026-08-18 17:08

    And who's fault is that? That's one we won't get into in this thread.

  587. #587DMiller2026-08-18 17:10

    Always called that b*****d Steel, too many variations of material in the furnace pot, kind of like b*****d Files, a Blend of any and every steel.

  588. #588Truck Shop2026-08-18 17:24

    That's a Fatherless File.

  589. #589DMiller2026-08-19 07:18

    Still have the B word stamped in them!!

  590. #590Truck Shop2026-08-19 10:51

    bummer, butt, belong, before, blind, bumper, bent, bender, bland, blender---.

  591. #591skyking12026-08-19 11:00

    That front idler hung tough till the very end.

  592. #592Truck Shop2026-08-19 11:05

    Then it died too. It was always fun taking a load of scrap to General Metals in Fife. In the right spot you could see a chevy go in one side and spit out the other in chips, with a dodge and ford right behind, satisfying.

  593. #593AU.CASE2026-09-28 01:58

    After several searches I located these images with consent and attribution: "Turners Vineyard" at Orange NSW. I was there for a work event, venue is also nice accomodation just a few minutes from the CBD, there is also an enclosed truck and history exhibit not caught by the lense.

  594. #594AU.CASE2026-09-28 02:03

    October '24, stayed there a month ago, still the same ! Nice to see history on display, so we can understand why we are where we are ! There is an image from the trade display I was working at of a backhoe, not suited here and I'm unsure of the brand, but for new / fully equipped it was cheap at about $55k USD ! (See TLB forum).

  595. #595AU.CASE2026-09-28 02:09

    Not sure how one click edit of the post above created a new one? Feel free to delete !

  596. #596Dug Overburden2026-09-28 16:47

    Nice collection, i think they are off on the year of the motor grader , i would say it's 1964/ not 1974 ever thing else looks accurate