Been kind of shopping for upgrading trucks, and prices are all over the map. But there's some pricing that I just can't understand. So here's my crazy priced truck for the day. Its a clean nice truck, but I sure can't justify the price... 1998 Peterbilt 379 $105,000 Listed 3 weeks ago in Bunker Hill, IL Seller's Description 1998 pete 379 with 227k original miles. C12 cat an a 10speed transmission. 3.90 gear ratio sitting on 11r22.5 tires. Does have a wet kit an pinnable 5th wheel for frameless dump trailer. Asking 105k located in bunker hill IL call or text [hidden information]
That's probably what that truck sold for new or a little more. Used truck prices are crazy and I have a feeling are about to have a major correction. New trucks are what they are but I see those prices softening as well. Just a hunch.
Anything 07 and older is more valuable than anything 08 and newer, and will keep going that way
I personally don’t see the market holding out these insane prices much longer. Finance rates are still going up, I know people say it’s nothing compared to the 80s but in my opinion, the difference is the principal. It’s one thing to pay 15% interest on a 18k loan for 36 months, it’s an entirely different conversation when you’re paying 15% on a 100k pickup stretched out over 7-8 years or more. I see people doing it every day and I’m not sure how this market hasn’t busted already. If asked 2 years ago I would have said we would be in a financial crash by now. I see pretty big problems looming across a number of markets. I’ve heard the average car payment today is in the area of $800 and that means there’s a lot of them over $1000. I can’t even wrap my head around that.
Going to drive my Krusty, yet Trusty old Dodge another year because of this very scenario with pricing.
Approximately 400k on rebuild too
Prices-When it comes to new trucks Freightliner controls 38 plus percent of the pie. PacCar is divided up almost even at 17% for Pete 16% for Kenworth. The rest is spread over Volvo, Mack and International and others. During Covid with the availability to deliver on orders PacCar jumped it's pricing to a level that screwed them now. Freightliner prices rose also but not to PacCars crazy extent. Which caused along with emissions a frenzied market in used. Now some dealers are setting on trade-ins that are over the top on worth way over valued. They won't admit their choking on inventory. Because inventory is at that level privet sellers see it and think there used asset is worth the same. Monkey see Monkey do. * A 2021 4 axle DD15 loaded Cascadia was selling new for around $228,000 plus or minus on average. A 2021 4 axle X15 loaded T990 KW loaded was selling for around $275,000 plus or minus on average. That same Cascadia right now is $198,000 the T990 $235 to $238,000 roughly. Now that's based on placing a 6 truck order. A single much more. But prices are dropping, they can't play the song of no parts because of Covid excuse. The used truck market really cut into new sales, but the hot market for used is shrinking somewhat so you should see a slight tanking on certain models/brands of used. Except the PacCar used line, I just saw a 2000 W900L with non steer drop, with a running but bad 525 N14 1.3 million auction final bid $19,000-nuts. The used market will be flooded with trucks held over, mileage run up because orders were cut off during 2020 thru 2022. * But Crane Operators truck he posted--with a puny C12 and 10 speed even at 277,000 is a ------------ $35,000 truck---asking that looking for a sucker. People need to get back to reality that truck is 25 years old--may as well be 45 years old. I know charge what the market will bare, bare *** is more like it.
My old Mack will bring at least a million dollars or I won't let it go. I was thinking that while greasing all 52 zerks on that sumbitch this afternoon just after bashing my skull on a fuel tank sliding under.
Just wait in used truck prices when in 2027 (or whatever year it is) truck prices will double.
I'll wait and if my old Mack will bring two million, it will be worth it.
You wait long enough it will be a collector
It's a 1980 model so well into "Hoarder" status by now driving up the value even more. I'd have to contemplate hard to let my 1957, or 1951 Mack Trucks go at two million already.
I think at two million it would be a easy yes, you can drag another out of the weeds at that price
One of our old units, was truck 461. Four axle sell fairly easy because of drop axle, three axle not so much. The market is covered with those. https://www.jimspacificgaragesinc.com/product/2019-freightliner-cascadia-126-5/ *
Only asking $15,000, 1944 Pete. Still more than it was new. *
2000 peterbilt 379 $90,000 Listed 2 weeks ago in Huntsville, AR Condition Used - like new 2000 peterbilt 379 with 7CZ factory C16 cat rebuilt with paperwork. Rebuilt 18 speed with paperwork. All new suspension, brakes, and tires. Serious inquires only. No trades please
1998 Peterbilt 379 $105,000 Listed 3 weeks ago in Bunker Hill, IL Hell, you can get a new tricked out Bronco for only $102,000. Saw the local Ford dealer advertising one for that this weekend. Joe H
Again--if both trucks above are in such good condition plus so wanted--why are both up for sale?---it's a sucker market.
There are guys around here with 2 year old tractors, and the dealers are offering them more than they paid for them when they bought them. Company ordered 2 new super dutys last fall, not in yet, and there is supposed to be a new Freight shaker tandem dump here this fall that was ordered this past winter. They can get them faster if we get them with an automatic transmission.
It's astonishing how truck prices have skyrocketed recently! Economic fluctuations and supply chain disruptions are partially to blame, but it doesn’t fully justify the 'crazy' costs. Investing in a truck now seems impractical, considering the inflated prices. We must urge dealerships and manufacturers to reassess their pricing strategies, ensuring they remain fair and reflective of the truck's intrinsic value.
Here--here's the number for a Freightliner dealer 1-800-723-7770, you can make the first call to jump their ***.
As long as the trucks are leaving the lots at the price on the sticker, they’ve got no reason to lower the price. Same goes for cars and pickup trucks, when people are willing to finance more than sticker price for a vehicle, the price will only continue to go up. When the financial bubble bursts, you’ll see a price change and a lot of ‘for sale’ signs.
Absolutely- As long as people stay stuck on stupid prices will continue.
Been watching this truck, up for auction. 2000 model, T800, big cat, heavy spec day cab with a short wheelbase. It ended up being a little more than my price range. $69,960 final hammer drop price, with the buyer's premium. 2000 Kenworth T800 Day Cab Tractor 550hp Caterpillar 3406E Approx 300k miles on overhaul Eaton 13 speed transmission Approx 200k miles on rebuild 18k front axle 46k air ride rear axles with lockers Wet kit and tarp control- setup for doubles New Ecm and wire harness within last 50k miles New drag links and rear suspension parts in last 50k miles 476,643 total chassis miles 5,523 engine hours Clean title
About an hours drive from my place. There's a local grain hauler here that has the sister to this truck. You don't see many high hood T800s around
That's probably market rate at the moment. Non-DEF big power in decent shape that is rebuildable. Who knows truck prices are still stupid IMO.
A 43 year old Mack with 300+ ponies on tap is right on track for me:
It was a sharp looking truck, but had some michigan rust, and at that price, there's nicer (no rust) trucks around. I would hate to try to find a hood for it, if you lost a steer.
70 grand in a 24 year old truck-with X amount of corrosion, the total chassis miles don't add up with 200K on rebuild-
Making a change to listing. * 1979 W900 Long hood-425 CAC cat installed with Jacobs 349 Jakes, 18spd, late daylight doors, 8 bag with P/S.----Only $55,000-and for one of these that's cheap. *
I've seen this one. 1989 Kenworth W900 B Model - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist 1989 Kenworth W900 B Model $47,000 condition: excellent make / manufacturer: Kenworth model name / number: W900 1989 Kenworth W900 B Model 425 air to air 3406 B Caterpillar Motor Updated 4 stand... bend.craigslist.org
Are the tanks and steps painted, or acid etched dull?
Turned from acid---34 years old. It's either polish, paint or leave as. Sometimes it's best to leave.
I agree. Many favor that look. Nothing wrong in my eyes as never could justify the time to keep them bright; only functional.
I guess it's one thing if it's a OO and only truck, but if it's just well maintained and a work horse it just needs to look good/clean.
Yep. Bright and shiny never brought any more $$$ home for me when running trucks. Reliability and integrity did. Part of that was good maintenance practices and keeping trucks not looking like they were going to leave pieces on the road behind.
Been HALF Tempted to see what the 05 would bring.
$80,000 average with those spec's and work done, $90,000 on high end.
NO POLUTION JUNK
A 07 will be 2x the price of a 08 soon
07 & 08 were both under the same epa rules one was as bad as the other and didn't matter the brand. 05 through 16 were some of the worst for a ISX.
Let me know when you get fully tempted.
PM Me
I'm doing one this winter- '05 T800 253k for real miles, 475 Cat, factory 4 axle 14..6/12/46 on Chalmers, severe service, 24.5 all aluminum.... Got it with a smashed cab and clean title. Went to Spokane a couple weeks ago and got a hood/cab grill to rear window mirror to mirror complete. In the shop now. Already word got around and "when you're done I want to buy it". I had offers as-is scrunched I could have made money. It won't be for sale.
You've been thin on here.
The quarry job kind of took over. Helping now and then to 5am ring ring "HELP!!" I just found out big contract came through and going through the winter now. The thing about crushing basalt is everything mechanical separates into pieces suddenly or violently continuously. That and the owner won't hire anyone under 35, so it's up to us old guys.
$29.500/https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/336999229030122/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment *Vintage Truck Market Place.
A little Armorall makes ALL the price validated!!!
Do not see many wanting my Old Flat Top, weighs in at 20K right at full of fuel, not gonna window dress it as is 18 years old, soon to be 19. Old machines are old machines but as it is not going to do much better. Made the offer for sale, if someone DOES want it and money is there would leave as fast as could sign title. RSH availability is there, prices are insane and volumes of used to New one to two years on lots do not support prices so NOT buying for now, in that case have a white Big Blue Elephant in the driveway.
I think this one is in pretty good shape, know someone who knows the truck and history.
In the case of trucks like this at 30k--check the price of a new 14 yard box with cylinder and wet kit. As far as front axle at 12 to 14K rating not being enough, load it legal and it won't have a issue.
We got by with 12K steer axles for a lot of years with 13', and 14' end dump boxes. 38K rears were heavy enough too if on Hendrickson, or Camelback around here.
Not only is that a nice truck, but that whole market place is full of some other nice trucks. There's some trash in there also, but, man there were some pretty good looking runners.
Funny/odd I know all the mods who run that.
Only posted for one hour and sold for asking price, $15,000. Vintage Truck Market Place. 1978 with B model Cat & 6x4. *
I have been too 3 auctions lately in the south. I have heard trucking rates out if the savanahha port have dropped to $1400.00 per container to atlanta. 5 hour haul each way. I have seen no less than 30 trucks sold off. From 10k to 30k. A nice mack dump just went for 30k. I saw an older 15ton hoe sell for 7500.00 last week. It seems like the freight companies are letting go of some of there older trucks for cheap. Probably should have bought one.
Market here is still insane. Last company worked for lost two trucks to accidents, NOT the Drivers' faults, to get replacements will be February at Earliest for new as one was a 2018 the other was a 2022. Trailer in second was also destroyed, Double Wall Squareside EAST 40' frameless dump, at least six months to receive another. Independent Trucks are being Hired On to handle the workload.
Traditionally with most any item once it has a tremendous price hike for one reason or another, when market levels the price never ever falls back to previous levels.
On freshly made items that seems to be the case. I know it seems metal buildings don't ever seem to go back down. I have already been notified of 2 price increases on concrete for next year. $10.00 more per yard, ea. I did notice that copper wire has dropped 30% at home depot from the covid high.
Commodity,----------------manufactured items like a KW is always going to climb in price. Certain sizes of flat bar used in metal buildings became hard to get because of that industry. I know in some cases shops around here just ordered sheared in certain sizes.
Sadly is the requirement for DOC systems and all those bells and whistle ‘improvements’ that aren’t in cabs that are hilding back deliveries. China is still the major producer of all those where has sorted the US markets in whatever design ploy they are playing. Hundreds of newer trucks sit on dealer lots, multiple failures of necessity components shutting them down and our illustrious overseeing idiots allow it to continue unabated. If cannot produce here should not be aold here.
1966 Autocar 9364-335, 5X4, 20,000 lb steer, 55,000 lb drives, 34,000 miles $10,000. FB-Vintage truck market place.
Appears to have a Great Deal of Fresh Dupont trying to hide issues?
Those "Driver's Cab" trucks really liked to rot around here. From the fading it appears to be an older repaint, or an inexpensive topcoat was used. Seen a lot of "Rust-Oleum", and Tractor Supply type paints used on older trucks a lot that look good in the short duration. That one is in very good condition for it's age if original and geographic location would be a player there.
My base thought came on when saw the rails under the fifth wheel, just ahead of drives in painted, appears Drive Line is pulled.
My base thought is it's low miles----the wear and tear on the frame rails is real light for a truck that age. This truck is a short wheel base with 5 & 4---that driveline didn't come from this A-Car. Three areas that would be rusted out for sure in any brand truck using that cab is, --------------- Around windshield, Back bottom of cab & Bottom front of cab. Those are all in excellent condition. Plus try and find a off the shelf 1966 Autocar Constructor with fenders that straight along with a hood that the gaps lineup correct. Truck is in Mass, was used as support truck for crane company IIRC. * But one thing you inspectors didn't jump on--LFI off the rim.
Not inspecting at all. I don't have FB so no follow up with the truck. I don't understand your last sentence? I see possible three piece 24" rims which were kind of common out east. I don't think the installer should have placed the gap in the lock ring directly under a rim clamp but that's just my opinion as I don't know.
It's just has the standard off the rim flat tire issue that most old trucks for sale seem to have.
Front drive axel inner tire? I had to increase screen brightness to see it. Had the intensity turned down as was here before daylight. You see that a lot on people reselling things they have no idea about when it comes to trucks, and/or equipment. Another trick is the spray it down with a hose so the sunlight has something shiny to reflect off of. That truck looks like an honest truck to me but I did assume it was from out your way given the condition. Have repaired a lot of those cabs in many of their variants and they really liked to rust. I leant a hand to a now deceased buddy in OK several years ago telling him he was in for a treat when restoring his 1974 Autocar tractor. I think his was an AH-64 series but it really turned out nice, albeit a lot more work than anticipated once that paint and filler was removed.
FB Vintage Truck Market Place-Bethlehem, Pa. 15,000.
2024-comes with stacks, visor & quarter fenders-$262,000, just put it on the card. *
And a DEF blue frame . . .
All that truck needs are some custom flames painted down the length.
And emissions delete
2.3M views · 62K reactions | Take a look at this shiny 1966 Stainless-Steel Autocar! Engine: C-180 Cummins Diesel Transmission: Spicer 6352 5-Speed and Spicer 340C 2-Speed Rear Top Speed: 60 MPH #iowa80truckingmuseum #iowa80 #truckinghistory #truc Take a look at this shiny 1966 Stainless-Steel Autocar! Engine: C-180 Cummins Diesel Transmission: Spicer 6352 5-Speed and Spicer 340C 2-Speed Rear Top Speed: 60 MPH #iowa80truckingmuseum #iowa80... www.facebook.com
Seams there are 2 stupid bidders out there. Geez, for dumb.
It’s criminally insane, I did some looking recently for a 2002 F350 dually 7.3L, thought if I could find one in nice shape I’d be interested as I currently have a 2002 F250. Prices were higher than what I paid 12 years ago for my 250 with twice or higher miles. Hard to imagine where it stops.
All SS, has to be a One Off oddball. Kind of as the 1940 SS Fords. Likely the ONLY Kelowna Cab NOT rusted to hell and gone!! Asto the Craziness still on around here, any truck 1998 to 2007 NON to Lower emissions equipped or Deleted is bringing PREMIUM Bucks. Just joking at a local garage getting a State Inspect, fella said he could possibly pay 60 for a truck as mine, defined trying to Lo Ball as stated by foreman, always trying to bargain DOWN. The shop is associated to local Trucking Company where have several of their older units for sale on yard. 2002 Freightliner Century, 14L DD, 9 Speed, nothing special or fancy but Aero Sleeper and LOADS of wear, ask is currently $68600, a 1999 Pete 379, $105,000. Did NOT walk over to Look.
But . . . But . . . it's got the drop visor, loud pipes, stupid fenders and all ! ! !
New truck with no emissions, that's a fair price.
That stainless A-Car has been at Iowa 80 for awhile now. Just what is it I have been saying for awhile now folks. All this resurrecting old tired rode hard and put up wet trucks that need the radiator cap jacked and a new truck run underneath at the tune of $150.000. All this rebuilding is making the parts houses just extremely happy. They are rubbing their hands together like flies on a dead bloated carcass. And when your all done {you think} you still have a tired worn out electrical system, old fatigued rails and crossmembers, door guts that need replacing, the complete air system, cooling system on and on. Every month it's something else. If a truck had low miles {like 550,000} that's one thing but most of these are 1 to 1.7 million miles. There isn't a tight screw left in the cab. The old fence rowed trucks have been dragged from the fields by the thousands, has anyone thought about the fact that will come to a end. Then what? The same scenario played out with muscle cars, when that ran it's coarse {along with emissions issues on diesels} the attention was turned from **** ant diesel pickups to Class 8 trucks--just like Harleys--Peterbilt's became the {Me Too Please} I want one of those with a drop visor and some big stacks, I want to go broke too. * If it was such a great idea--even my old boss and his dad would have rebuilt the 26 Freightliner Coronado gliders that were pre-emission 14L 550 Hp 1850 torque with RTLO18913A gear boxes and Eaton 404 3.70 ratio. But the time involved plus coming up with enough OEM parts would have taken allot of time & money spent on a {now} 2012 gliders with 750,000 on them, which also meant several trucks shut down at a time for all this rebuilding, less revenue coming in. * Right now it's a 90 day lead time closer to 120 for a OEM Detroit Series 60 14L non emission, same for a 12.7L. Average cost {And I know this because I just priced one} $38,000 plus $11,500 for the core-if it is a acceptable core-all have gotten very picky about acceptable cores. One of the dispatchers just spent $70,000 on a C15 installed-Cat kicked the core out, cracked head and issues with block. * If your going to be in the hauling biz may as well by a SD122 Freightliner with a DD15 and buy the full warranty covered to 700,000 then dump it at 600,000. You can't beat the DD12 AMT transmission will run on average 800,000 with no repairs way better than a Eaton manual, plus fuel mileage is way better. Price $220,000. * Below is a 1969 W900 923 I rebuilt in 2000 long before the crazy started. I rebuilt the interior, shortened frame installed used air ride already had, rebuilt a 400 Cummins already had, rebuilt a 12513 already had, repainted threw some tires on rebuilt the brakes and suspension along with cooling system----Cost was $30,000 with labor, those days are long gone, but in the end it was still just a old 1969 W900. *
Put lipstick on a pig, but it's still just a pig.
Correct!-except the pig you fricassee, them 22.5's are tough to eat.
They sold a 2017 Peterbilt at a auction it was live and on line . Biding started a week ago on stuff . I will try to get all the facts right but . It was a glider with a big cummins 18 speed no sleeper 30.000 miles . The farmer gave $140.000 for it new . I was told it brought $350.000.
I've already got stupid offers on the one I'm doing, but not stupid enough. Yet. The thing I've found currently is the unavailability of some OEM/aftermarket general parts, like the old POS air HVAC controller for pre-'02 PACCAR. A fellow is pretty much SOL on that- I found one new for $640 and Vander Haag's had a beat to crap one for $995 (hahaha!). The '01 got the '05 electric setup, needless to say. Part of the reason I got a good deal on the '01 cab is broken sunroof glass- Inalfa F700 glass not available, anywhere, for any price. Pre-'06 floor mat replacement.... Get an older rig better be pretty crafty in the workshop and lots of internet searching for solutions.
Fact---like I said above oem or aftermarket could be sol.
Buying an older rig these days is like buying an un-packed parachute- better be savvy to what you're getting into or the result will be the same.
I don't really understand why there is so much negativity about older trucks? I am not talking about something from the 60-70's. There is a a lot of uses for trucks from the 90's-early 2000's. Yes they all have problems, new and old. I can't fix everything myself on older ones but I can get alot of it done. Its hard to do anything on a 2-3 year old truck without a computer to hook to it, sure ya it might be under warranty you say. That doesn't do **** when your 60 miles away from the dealer and its dead in the field. Its not free.
I am seeing the new dump trucks specifically tri-axles cool off in price and come down a little. It will be interesting to see how the city and county trucks here hold their price when JM Wood auctions them off twice a year. What the muni's and county's have been doing is buying brand new KW's and Macks with a 13 month balloon payment. Since they get great factory pricing and no FET they are in the new trucks "cheap". They use the truck for a year and send it to auction on month 12. It sells and the auction proceeds pays the truck off and the muni/county makes $20-30K per truck. Pretty crazy. If you look on truck paper you can find these trucks. Usually low mileage current year model tri-axles with big power with autos. Here's one - 2023 KENWORTH T880 For Sale in Chatham, Virginia 2023 KENWORTH T880 For Sale in Chatham, Virginia at TruckPaper.com. 2023 Kenworth T880 --- Tandem Axle, MX-13 Paccar 510 HP, Allison Automatic 6 Speed, 4.56 Ratio, 20,000 Front Axle, 46,000 Rear Axle, 216" Wheelbase, 20' 1" Bridge, Chalmers, Double Frame, 3 Stage Engine Brake, Air Brake, Axle &... www.truckpaper.com Only a county could get away with a tri-axle bed on a tandem, fill it up and be "legal".
When was the last time anybody saw a Scale Wagon with a county truck pulled over . . .
In few years you will be lucky to buy a new truck for $500,000. These old pre emissions truck are just heading straight up in value, even doing a full rebuild on a truck for $200,000 will be money ahead. If your worried about parts availability, don't worry, aftermarket will show up where there is a need, customer is always right after all
It's not negativity--it's just fact people keep driving the price up paying the stupid price because their stupid. Paying twice what a old dog cost when knew---that's nut's--vehicles are not investments, it's a wear out machine----at this rate the price of a 1956 14A D8----Should be $250,000. If it such a good idea then folks lets start rebuilding all those diesel pickups at 300,000. * And the Customer is usually wrong 60% of the time.
Here's one-1986 359 want's $30,000 for it wrecked listed on FB Vintage Truck Market Place. Throw another 30 at it, it's old it's worth it. *
While I assume the dealer back-log is getting a lot better, consider an independent guy going out and paying $200k plus for a new truck @ 10+% interest, then having an all-too-common electrical or emission problem with which there are no available parts, then sitting at the dealer for two or three weeks or more all while having to make payments and ancillary downtime costs, then it is no wonder that 20 year old trucks are getting the prices that they are. Yes, you are going to have something to repair on a regular basis, but usually this can be scheduled on home time and available at most any decent diesel repair shop if beyond the capabilites of the owner. I am still buying parts for 1989 models with no problem. They are paid for, and I am not paying any interest on the repairs. The 14A D8 comment is not applicable as a modern D6 can produce circles around it. A modern truck is no more productive than a 20 year old truck, albeit slightly more efficient. The market is never wrong, though it can change quickly.
There is allot of this bad late truck info being posted, if it were the case then the repair yards would be three times the size of the sales lots. All this terrible emission stories are blown out of proportion in many cases. Most all of my old companies trucks ran 300,000 before DPF issues and any ones that did have issues were covered under warranty. Talk about negativity this emission stuff has been way over blown-yes there have been issues on time frames of parts and repairs but that was caused by covid pandemic nothing else. As far as the the OLD D8 was for fun, A modern truck is way more efficent than a 20 year old truck, all has to do with mileage. * The market is never wrong-what about 1929 and 2008?
Precisely my point. Remember the part about "it can change quickly"?
The market is complety reactionary..........it cannot be wrong, or right for that matter.
I thinkkkk there is a term artificial market. Yes the market lags on the passing of gas in the wrong direction. Built on bad paper is a manipulation of the market. The market is under constant manipulation.
The other factor to consider is inflation. It may seem ridiculous that a 30yr old vehicle or piece of equipment is selling for nearly what it did when new, but the dollar isn’t worth nearly as much either. As much as we hate it, we just have to wrap our heads around the bigger numbers. It doesn’t excuse some of the lunacy of the past 2-3yrs however...
A huge part that has been missed in this is the fact generation X, Y or Z came along and wanted to turn Class 8 trucks into a street rod fad and the older the better which drove prices to a unreal level for the people who just wanted a truck for hauling in their business. And yes I figured in inflation which went out of control in that time period because of greed.
Customer is always right 100% of the time because this saying is about supply and demand, and this thread is full of old trucks selling for outrageous prices, sounds like they are right here too. Manufactures will be required to lower emissions 2x while having 2x the warranty, and this is in a few years I think 2027. Good luck with those new trucks that are made so light and chinsy that they don't even last anymore.
It's demand and supply, Total misnomer customer is not right all the time. Market is driven by greed, the suspension, frames are heavier, and less cab shock with all air ride, trucks today are running just as many miles as the old. Talk to a driver nobody really wants to drive old. Hiring incentives hover around newer equipment not older equipment, drivers want the latest and greatest-that's the real demand.
You'd probably attract more drivers if there was a roller grill installed in the truck
I can definitely see your point Truck shop on trucks that spend 50 weeks a year on the road. There are situations tho where people need a truck only part of the year or maybe only a couple days a month and in those situations I don't think buying new is such a good idea. Emissions and computers seem to work better with consistent use. In those situations buying a older truck that will start when you hit the key after sitting a couple months might be a better buy especially since the warranty on a new truck would likely run out before they got the miles on
Truck #1 1999 pete- big cat, $53,000 1999 Peterbilt 379 $53,000 Listed a week ago in Clinton, KY E Cat 475 hp 10 speed 3.70 rear ends 680,000 miles Wet kit New brake shoes & drums this summer New clutch and one rear end in 2021 Truck #2 2017 pete Paccar engine, 46,000lb rears. around 500-600,000 miles $33,000 2017 Peterbilt 579 day cab 11 units available $33,000 Seller's Descrip 11 Identical Units -1320lb front end -46k rears - Pac car engine -455hp -13 speed Eaton auto shift - Miles 558k,586k,612k,625k,623k,651k,659k, 643k,648k,661k,692k
Lets see---the 99 looks good but at almost 700,000 it's getting ready for a major--so add another 30 plus to the 53 and lets just round it off at $90,000. Plus it has a lousy gear box. Owner doesn't want to invest in engine repair. Over valued--$30,000. * 2017 Earlier Pac engine so could be problematic plus Eaton autoshifts had program issues. All of these are nearing end of warranty or slightly over so it's culling time. Biggest issue would be these were fleet maintained with extended service intervals so if that's the case---these are really loose at 650K, oil samples or not. and worth even less.
The door decal and hoe in the background suggest the '99 may have spent much of its life pulling an end dump or other construction trailer. Most likely rode hard miles.
Would that have one of those FRO series Eaton ten speeds? If so I never liked them as got really sloppy as they aged. Constant feel of being in gear but not.....
More than likely.
Mind it's only a long block at 25K-still minus allot of key parts. * Caterpillar® 10R1061 Long Engine Block, Remanufactured Remanufactured Caterpillar 10R1061 long engine block for sale from PeteTruckParts.com. Click here to view our Caterpillar engines. petetruckparts.com
So now for the million dollar question . . . If I were to buy one or the other, say for running a lowboy, 5-10k a year, which truck would be money ahead in the 10 year picture? Assuming purchasing at the listed prices.
Oh questions like that can only be answered on the {crystal ball thread}. * Well considering the fact those Pete's at the age & mileage they are--more than likely have had the updates done plus the emission system {DPF's and related parts have probably been changed} should show that in the repair files. * The 99, that one will need the suspension redone, exhaust, complete exhaust on that is $2,700 plus, cooling system-rad core is 24 years old, heater core 24 years old, turbo is more than likely original. Wiring/relays to headlights are probably cooked at back of fuse/relay box-common, fuel lines from tanks plus engine fuel lines. That Two Flo is getting tired, transmission is at the point it could run or take a dump-because it's a ten speed it's been rowed a bunch-the low/high synchronizer in back section is getting tired. * At 20K less and age difference-the 2017's.
Only been over once. He's looking to get $18,000 for it. 1996 international. "It was laid over and I bought it back, it has M11 310 HP 8LL transmission 46,000lb rears 2 Watson challin steerable axles.The engine just had the Rod's and Mains done in the last 10,000 miles. "
Bendin with bendin will fix it
You can say that again!
Two custom formed rails-blank A656 Grade 8, not drilled 7/16" thick 28' long delivered $12,500 roughly. That's from HW Metals Portland Or. Then figure in $5,000 in incidentals like all new fasteners. Plus another $2,000 in crossmembers minimum. Then add in 100 plus hours labor $14,000 labor. Now I suppose a person could crap rig it by only replacing sections of rail and there are some who would say {oh that rail can be straightened} My reply to that {no it can't}, not and drive correctly afterwards. Remove the box and drop axles and install on something else. Yes there are situations a old truck is better fiscally. * I know a little about truck frames, only lengthened and built some 72. *
1984 ltl9000 big cam 350 "turned up" $30,000 1984 Ford ltl 9000 $30,000 Listed a day ago in Coweta, OK Seller's Description Ford 9000 LTL. Has 940k on dash. big cam 350 Cummins. . Engine was rebuilt by previous owner. He also installed a new clutch and front end parts. Fass 150 trucks turned up around 450 Pulls very strong. No blow by. Tight steering it runs 75 down the road loaded no issues. Very dry engine and drive train. Leds all the way around. Good tires. Wet kit. Ac and heat work. Ready to pull anything you got. It drives better than most of the new semis on the road. No trades. Closing down my excavation business so I no longer need this. 30k with equipment trailer $25k without. Cash is king. . Make offer. Motivated to sell.
1980 kw $70,000 1980 Kenworth w900a $70,000 Listed 5 weeks ago in Selmer, TN Driven 580,000 miles Seller's Description 1980 kenworth w900a 3406a DI 580k original miles 13 speed 40 rears 4.11 ratio Single line wet kit 7in dynaflex pipes 8 bag factory air ride Original wheelbase 11r24.5 tires 65% Hogebuilt half fenders New paint Motor stripped and resealed New turbo New head New brakes shocks slack adjusters New lights New clutch I have 36in sleeper painted to match that I took off that goes with $70,000 Even more parts and things done call
Here's bendon straightening a dump truck rolled that rolled over
Them Pakistani truck fixers could knock that out in a couple days. Joe H
Yeah, yeah, yeah to both of those, my 48 years tells me differently. Now is Heavy Equipment Forums and it's members about repairing by the book--top of the line repairs or Youtube half ass garbage? It seams in the last three to four years more and more cut rate repairs and ideas posted on HEF, crap to get by with. Now in my book it's either repair/rebuild correctly or don't do it at all, because if repair work is half a$$ED on equipment it probably is also reflected in said construction work.
Nice 1980 W900 KW--it sold new spec'd like that for roughly $50,000----and it's 44 years old, and not getting any newer. Why is it for sale? * Ford LTL with a cranked BC 350, my, my, my. A 14.5:1 engine, stated at 450 hp, when pigs fly. Over fueled-and not properly done==bad camshaft & mains and rods to copper, plus BC 350's didn't use double NI pistons-not good. A cab you can't buy parts for plus allot of other things. Value, maybe $15,000.
That guy I posted on you tube is a pro and thats pretty much all he does is straighten frames and align trucks along with collision repairs. I see half assed repairs of all mechanics on all types of equipment or vehicles including you tube....lol
Pretty cool to see frame repair, I didn't know they did it this much.
We have one done by one of those pro's, it was wrecked 2 years ago with 50,000 miles on it. Shop said it can be straightened-it lists on the right side & wears tires like a stock car. No recourse now with insurance---it needed a rail then and it still needs it. The Freightliner. *
I imagine all frame benders are not created equal, did it leave the shop listing? It took that guy like 5-6 days to straighten that mack dump truck
Had to have. The trouble is high tensile frames will get a memory where the bend/issue is. It's real hard to remove, and that is a Quote from a guy who straightened just about everything that rolls including lowboys, I worked with him a winter in early 80's.
Them Pakies could fix it, heat it and beat it fixes all. Joe H
That one parks at Atwood’s down the street from our house lol. It photographs better than it looks in person.
And?
Other than that can’t tell ya much. Typical Oklahoma sun faded paint. It sits there more often that not. If somebody was serious I’d go take a look lol. Not many large car fords around haha
They are all Pro's on Youtube . . . That International dump isn't coming back. You might make it run and drive, make it so it sits straight in a picture, but it's never going to be right again.
Redid one of those LTL's back in 1996 over the winter months for the local oil company that purchased it new. New OEM door shells, door handles, window regulators, Jones Performance hood, dual chrome stacks and 10 new Alcoa ball seat aluminum rims and chrome bumper with spotlights. Cab was plastic media stripped clean. Sharp looking unit in Dodge Viper Red. Truck is still around but bad condition as they ran it around Chicagoland doing bulk initial fill for Caterpillar and it rusted away fairly quickly. Was given close to zero care other than oil changes. Someone backed a tank trailer into it at the refinery in Joliet so I brought it back on my Mack rollback and new radiator, condenser coil, grille, and a headlamp assembly and bezel, (all aftermarket) put the truck back together. I see the truck around the back of the building a few years ago and it's no longer used. Employees are sure hard on equipment:
Drivers--When the new replacement tractors would show up the drivers just can't wait to move all their junk to the new ride {which usually takes three hours}. They start out with all this false pride in their new ride, false because in less than 6 months the truck is now old hat the newness is all gone.
As much as I like old fords-I don't need to come look, or have you take a look, to know that it isn't a $30,000 truck.....
$30 with the trailer lol. 25 without and cash is king…..
I'm not sure he's motivated enough for my kind of offer. Because my offer wouldn't have 5 numbers in it.
I ended up with the '05 project looking for a roller skeleton for the '76 project. The '76 is a dump lay-over, that frame will go into the steel borrow pile. When I was at the dismantlers getting the cab/hood they had a late year test truck (never wrecked) rolling skeleton super dump 6-axle (3 pushers) spec'd well for $34k. Nice start for a builder, but not for me.
My repair methods aren't even good enough for Youtube. We've been dealing with charging issues/ canbus on my wonder of german engineering crane. Every time I suggest just running wires around, jumping things, I get a great eyeroll and tongue lashing from my young mechanic how "its can bus and you can't do things like that"...
This showed up in my area two days ago. $2,500 with no engine or trans. 1981 w900. If you're still needing a roller, I'm not sure you'll find much cheaper. Its just a long way away from you.
"Next" rig I get will need at the least have air bags on back axles (some on front is even better), I'm taking one of the tandem axles off if it doesn't come that way. Will need a locker installed or option to have locker installed. Less than million miles on the odometer (closer to 750k ideal), at least 400 hp/ 1600 ft lbs tq. The shorter the frame the better, needs a sleeper bigger than a WIA 64, mid roof at most in height, OD transmission with less than 15 gears (I'm not rowing a boat). Needs to be able to do 75 mph comfortably so somewhere around 4:xx rear axle ratio, lastly no emission system BS.
I’ve done a fair amount of reading and “training” if you will. Also have a really good 4 channel scope if it comes to that. My travel rates are reasonable haha
CO. can afford it he has lots of money.
I’ve heard that. He also has stuff to trade….
Crane Op can I hold $5 till next, next Friday? On EDIT - Due to inflation and an extravagant Christmas I'm going to need to hold $20 until next, next Friday.
Better go for a 100 20 won't get ya across town
Heck yah, checks are in the mail for everybody......
Wait - You have checks?!?!
You’ll take a check? Hell I thought you wanted money!
This sold for $16,000 at a farm auction early this summer. Later became buddies with the guy who bought it and when his plans changed he sold it to me for the same $16,000. 2005 378, C15, 13 spd , 40k rears. Very light weight truck. We cleaned it up and a bunch of friends gave/sold me used things and we had her on the road by August. Ran it almost 400 hours pulling bellydump, grossed about $50,000 in a few months. I do wonder though how much I could get for it now?
Want your money back? Lol
Whats a few months and what's your net? Sounds a keeper to me. Joe H
$2.98.
On the real side--there isn't a used truck out there that doesn't have the attributes of a-- Ruby in a Goats ***.
$35,000--Deutz V12. *
So what is the deal with that? Is that an older A model, or a T800 with the high hood? And the Deutz . . . is that a US truck? Appears to be a US plate? When were they putting Deutz engines in trucks? The cooling system has got to be interesting . . .
August - November. By the time it's all said and done it nets 50%. I rent my trailer by the hour. I also have a transfer dump truck I ran about 200 hours in that same time. 2 trucks and I'm the only driver, worked real well
There was a log trucker in Washington that ran Deutz in KW log trucks in the '70's i think . Amboy Trucking, I believe. Maybe this truck is one of those?
Correct JaredV. That KW is a basic 500 with a fiberglass hood-year 1972--It's listed in Mossy Rock. * One has to remember-you could almost buy anything you wanted years ago in a USA built PacCar product, if you wanted a Briggs they would install it. The options are gone for drivetrain it's all about creature comfort nowdays.
Didn't Diamond Reo, (Giant?) build some trucks with the Deutz engine way back when?
Shouldn't be one- aside from some aluminum fins. Its just a air cooled duetz. I've never been around one in a truck, but it was kind of a thing for a little while to have duetz powered tractors that were air cooled. The guys that I knew that had them, liked them. If I remember right, in the early 90's it was duetz and allis branded tractors, that were air cooled with duetz engines.
Lot of Duetz powered tractors still working around here. Had a combine come in on trade this year at harvest completion with a V8 Duetz "Air Diesel" as they were called. Smooth, relatively quiet, and powerful is how I see them.
Just keep the dirt out of the cooling system
My only experience with a Duetz was in a Liebherr excavator in the 80s. I didn't care much for the excavator but the engine didn't cause any problems.
There were several that did-there just weren't that many built on total production. FWD built ONE. *
Deutz were real common around here for use in pea harvesters/combines. There was a shop here in town that had several on pallets some years back, don't know what happened to them.
Deutz Engines were all over the place in the underground mining industry in Northern Ontario Canada and everywhere in the world for that. It is where I learned how to fuel spill an engines fuel pump for perfect timing. Still some underground in some ploaces. Simon C
I've always thought "spill timing" an engine with about 40psi fuel pressure applied is the most accurate but my experience is mostly Mack engines and now old AMBAC injection pumps.
I always like the Deutz engines. We had them on a punch of pit pumps back in the 80's, in our sand and gravel operations. They were easy to maintain and would sure pump a lot of water. We used to run them to almost 20,000 hrs. on our Gorman Rupp pumps. By then they usually had a catastrophic failure of some type, and we kept a couple of new engines on pallets, ready to swap out. I can remember several times I would check on a Deutz-powered pump, to find a hole in the block, almost no oil in it, and it would still be running and pumping water. I later had them on diesel stump grinders I bought around 2007-2012. They were powerful machines with those Deutz engines.
C18 rebuilt, run on dyno $68,000. 755 horse power. *
A nice fixer upper for you guys dodging emissions, same as any other just starting from zero. About $80,000 and it should be useable, that's just parts no labor. *
If you just stay in Mexico you don't have to worry about the fixing up . . . .
Still cheaper than a new truck
Yes a true ruby in a goats ***.
Ram Channels Cher — But Not for Long This is the first time a major manufacturer has brought back an old model to sell alongside the new. What if you could turn back time — to 2008 — and buy a brand-new half-ton truck like they used to make them? One without the “assistance” and other “technologies” that come standard with the new ones, like it or not — but with a standard 8-foot bed that’s increasingly hard to get … and for thousands less than what they’re selling the new double-and-crew cab short-bed trucks for today? The very thought of it almost makes you want to dance around a battleship turret, doesn’t it? Better to get out your checkbook — because for a time , you can buy a brand-new 2008 Ram 1500 Classic with a regular cab with an 8-foot bed and a standard 3.6-liter V6 without “eTorque technology” for $32,345. “Classic” meaning the previous-generation Ram that was “all new” back in 2008 and hasn’t been changed much since then. As opposed to a brand-new current-generation 2024 Ram quad cab with a short bed (and standard “eTorque technology”) for $38,570. This “eTorque technology” refers to an iteration of the automatic stop-start (or ASS) “technology,” which practically every new vehicle now comes standard with, that shuts off the engine every time the vehicle isn’t moving — in order to staunch the “emission” of the dreaded carbon dioxide. The gas that plants metabolize into the oxygen we breathe. In the new Ram, this takes the form of a 48-volt electric system that powers a high-torque belt-drive starter system. It restarts the engine faster than less “advanced” versions of ASS “technology.” But it does so at the cost of a 48-volt electric system, the belt-drive starter system, and a large (secondary) EV-style lithium-ion battery that will have to be replaced at your expense at some point down the road. And that is the main reason why a new 2024 Ram 1500 that isn’t Classic costs $38,570 to buy — or $6,225 more than a brand-new Ram Classic that will never need a new lithium-ion battery. That has an engine that stays running until you turn it off. That comes standard with an 8-foot rather than a short bed — and the regular cab you can’t get anymore in a new 2024 Ram 1500. How about a V8-powered ’08 Ram 1500 regular cab with an 8-foot bed — also without “eTorque technology” — for $36,335? That’s the price of a ’24 Ram Classic so configured. As opposed to $41,755 — which is the cost of a new Ram 1500 quad cab with the V8 (and all the latest “technology” you may want no part of). You can save yourself $5,440 by going Classic — and save yourself having to deal with all the latest “technology,” too. This is what many truck buyers want — in part because it is what many truck buyers can afford. The new Ram 1500 that isn’t Classic is a truck many can no longer afford — and don’t want, besides. This includes people who do not want a four-door/short-bed truck, which may be more passenger friendly but isn’t as work friendly. The regular cab Classic with an 8-foot bed is configured the way full-size trucks used to be — when trucks were not yet substitutes for the full-size cars that government regs de facto forced off the road. The italics to emphasize the evil subtlety of the method. No law was ever passed by Congress forbidding the manufacture or sale of the full-size sedans (and wagons) that were once even more popular than full-size trucks are today. Instead, regs were promulgated by the bureaucratic apparat -styled EPA requiring cars to deliver ever-higher MPGs, irrespective of the cost — including the cost of such vehicles becoming almost-no-longer-available. The handful that still are all luxury-brand cars such as the Mercedes S-Class, Audi A8, and BMW 7 Series (and even these are only mid-sized sedans by the standards of the ’70s) that cost tens of thousands more than a full-sized truck. And they no longer come standard with a V8. The 2024 A8 no longer even offers one. And that is why people who need a full-size vehicle (with a V8) buy trucks today. But they are becoming unaffordable in their turn — as well as laden with “technology” people who buy trucks because they want a truck do not want. The “eTorque technology” that is now standard in the ’24 Ram 1500 is a prime example of this. It does not make the truck more suited for work — and it makes it both more expensive and almost certainly less long-term-reliable. These are not qualities that appeal to people who want a truck . The fascinating — the depressing — thing is that in order to be able to offer the attributes truck buyers want, Ram is obliged to sell an old truck as an end-run around the regs that have rendered the new truck less desirable to truck buyers than the new one. Let that sink in a minute. Has there ever been a case of the new being less desirable than the old? Well, yes — many such cases. For instance, people who wanted a muscle car in 1975 would have done a Cher if they could have bought a new 1970 model that year rather than a gelded-by-government ’75 model. But this is the first time a major manufacturer has brought back an old model to sell alongside the new. And that says a lot about the new — as well as the old. It’s also a good sign in that at least one manufacturer is still trying to sell what people want to buy — as opposed to passively purveying what the government is trying to force people to buy while pretending it isn’t doing exactly that. Better hurry, though. Time’s running short. Ram Channels Cher — But Not for Long - The American Spectator | USA News and PoliticsThe American Spectator | USA News and Politics For a time, you can buy a brand-new 2008 Ram 1500 Classic with a standard 3.6-liter V6 without "eTorque technology" for $32,345. spectator.org
I'll keep my 2006 ranger it's in good shape and $32,345 still in my pocket.
Hence the reason I still drive "Krusty", and remain several thousand ahead. Not so good of shape any longer but I keep him going.
It actually isn't, in the big picture. I suppose that will blow up HEF in pretty short order . . .
Ah-nothing to blow up-some people like old crap and some like new crap, in the end it's all crap.
Some guy hit a tire in the road and it cracked the def case, I'm sure the repair is a decent chunk of the RnR of that pile posted above.
I need and am kind of looking for another vehicle which i hate doing. I would like to have a pickup for 197? to 199? . I want a 2wd that makes it tuff and a plain cab even worse . I want to replace my 1997 Jeep liberty . Sometimes when it shifts into OD it bangs?
And all the rancid Detroit noise your ears can handle. *
Defective----Double OO's---nasty piece of lower V71 junk.
Facebook www.facebook.com $37,500-under 200,000 original miles--only issue I can see is that looks to be a Double OO 92 being a 1978. *
Facebook www.facebook.com *
I've been seeing some stuff recently that was "reasonably" priced also. There's still a lot of trucks massively overpriced, but some stuff has gone down in prices. Kind of a unique trailer.
I’m going to bounce this thread. This is old 2057. I remember her. “We” sent her to RB after using and abusing her on the Dalton Highway for many years. She was rode hard and put away wet. Surprised to see her in Illinois, of all places. Shocked at the asking price. 2011 KENWORTH T800 For Sale in Hinckley, Illinois 2011 KENWORTH T800 For Sale in Hinckley, Illinois at TruckPaper.com. 2011 Kenworth T800 Wide Hood. 600HP 2050TQ Cummins ISX15. 18 Speed Transmission. 2 Speed Auxiliary Transmission. 52,000LB Full Locking Rears. 20,000LB Steerable Air Lift Axle. 20,000LB Steer Axle. Only 573,000 Original Miles... www.truckpaper.com
So lets look at some more day cab prices- so what does under $40,000 buy? 2000 western star at 36,500- its a logging truck, so we know its been used. 2000 western star and trailer $36,500 sale or trade for cutting machine 2000 western star 2ws set at 550 cat 10 speed 3.90s chalmers with lockers homemade pole trailer VS, 2013 mack, mp8 with under 300,000 miles. 2013 Mack ch 613 $38,500 2013 Mack CH 613 Wet kit air ride MP8 10Spd Only 279000 miles nice truck
Or a 2000 peterbilt? 2000 Piterbilt 378 $35,000 Listed 3 weeks ago in Addison, IL Seller's Description Well maintained, semi-truck with PTO. Caterpillar 3406E engine 475 HP. 947615 miles. Overhaul completed at 600,000 miles. New breaks in February 2024. Two differentials replaced in 2023. Everything works, including heating and cooling. Truck is ready to work. If needed, trailer is also available for sale.
While I like the big cats, I think if I was spending $40, I might take a chance on the Mack. Having under 300,000 miles vs. the western star or pete which are both probably million mile trucks, has a appeal to me.
Frame on the Pete says LOADS as to what might fail next.
Low mile trucks always make me want to see hours. Lots of oil field trucks with low miles but 10-12k hours. That idle time concerns me more than mileage.
Almost every Vocational Use machine is Low Miles HIGH Hours.
The Pete---complete overhaul?--still has original oil cooler & water pump, probably original turbo. The Mack----on a lot all polished up with super low miles-- look at the acid burnt aluminum. The Star----Oh you just know the drivers seat is as lumpy as bad gravy--original and pumped full of pharts. If it weren't for the 10 speed it would have been a good truck. * The Pete is a loser--any owner that would put a image of a truck in the signage on the door is a idiot-- That Mack the lot needs to say why it has low mileage, I expect chips in the paint. The Star is the only one that looks the part. Those are all east of the rockies trucks--which means rot, mold, fungus, and best of all rust in the fasteners.
In frame, likely a Fast patch OH. More or less what I had planned for C15 in KW that went south quickly.
I get the Speed Wash acid cuts all goop, but to not ever take the time to shine the truck back up at least a Little Bit?? Shows a total lack of concern for the machines. That Pete has also lost a Fuel Tank strap so why not have replaced Both as the other will not be far behind the first? and NO tank steps on the Hydraulic Tank, still need to access Right side on occasion.
When aluminum is turned white--there is usually a reason.
Straps are all there. Not polishing stuff isn't a lack of concern. I've run tons of trucks that were well kept but no one was spending hours and hours polishing stuff. Polishing isn't making anyone money. It's clean, and looks well kept, that's good enough for most folks.
Polished tanks = tweeker
My point is----it has more mileage than one thinks.
My KW only 'Shows' 440xxx, Processor was reported to have over 800xxx. More speedometers are broken than functional. Fixed this one and it logs miles again.
I get the impression a lot of truckers think every truck is moving 65 mph down the highway all day, every day. I always encourage people to look at the hours to get the whole picture.
I did a job awhile back where we needed a backhoe. The truck that brought the backhoe was started probably at 7, drive 45 miles and idled the rest of the day till about 3, drove 45 miles home and was done. That's an extremely hard day for a truck, especially if they change oil on miles and not hours.
Typical day in a Dump Truck, about a third of time is Load Off Load time on or off PTO and sitting at idle o0r fast idle. Yards are Dustbowls and hard on anything sucking air.
And with that I can really be sarcastic----Idle time for 5 months out of the year-sometimes 6 for hot weather, running a engine at a replacement cost of lets just say 50 grand to even things out, all to cool ones *** crack & keep sack sweat in compliance, not to mention the cost in diesel-----Is nut's. No pun intended. The driver-{If you think I'm going to set in there and sweat you got another thing coming}---as he reaches for another Little Debbie snack. {The object is to put weight on not lose it}. * During summer and winter months we had trucks with as much as 75% idle time.
High idle saves a lot of repairs
I used to haul chips and sit next to other trucks for an hour or two at a time at the mill. Even on mild days guys won't shut their trucks off. They tap the throttle to reset the auto shutdown from time to time and once I heard one start to shut off but he must have been quick enough to click the key off and on again before it stopped turning so it picked back up. I want to shut it down and have some vibration-free quiet.
I've seen ~10yr old trucks with 60,000 hours on them.
And burns allot of fuel over a year.
You probably have the numbers lol
Each truck out of the 65 had a cost sheet, and those costs followed the drivers as they switched trucks.
Its not so much idle time though, its application. I did the math on one of my dad's trucks one time - it averaged a speed of about 35 km/h over its life. It also spent its life pulling 120k lbs out of the bush every day. It idled for maybe an hour a day at most.
This day and age application doesn't matter but the diesel particulate filter does. And the real bad thing is with all the extended oil change intervals--high idle time is forgotten. A 30,000 interval becomes 35 to 40,000.
You need to work the engine though to keep the DPF happy. Sitting in a truck stop, idling 10 hours a day is a lot different than your truck pulling its guts out on a bush road all day and then being parked and shut down all night.
Your talking two total different types of use, I wouldn't expect to see high hours on a logger.
This T800 had 900,000 on it with 38,000 hours before it caught fire and burnt to a crisp. All on original head, injectors, and lower end. They had several of these, would get stuck being used to clean up ground piles at the elevators, Just round and round all day all night no mileage just hours. *
Complete out of frame on a PC-3408 with a 15 speed, the money wasted on that 3408. $105,000 purchase price, 1978 EXHD 359. *
Kid from AB contacted on the KW, had found it in a older Trk Ppr deemed it a positive to ask on. Is completing his ticket apprenticeship where will be looking for one such as this. No speaking on price, discounts or adjustments, just what all was done. Has six months to his process completion where is what he considers a choice product. I did warn of looking into import requirements and $$ exchange rates. He said are several people assisting his considerations on both counts.
Let’s bump this. I just impulsively purchased a ten year-old, striped down, F-150 XL 2WD, single cab with 13,284 miles on it. Ex GSA rig. It’s dinged and scratched up, but it’s like a brand new rig. The frame and underneath is spotless. The driver seat is still nice. 3.7 liter, axle code 19 (3.55). Dark Green-Green wbi145 color code. No antenna holes in the roof, or any molestation. $15k. IDK? WTH, what can you purchase for $15k? Can hardly repair a CP3 pump on a Dmax when it grenades, for that price. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. It will make a great parts runner, for six months of the year..
At auction, maybe 6-7k. 2wd is a hard sell. I had a 95 3500 Cummins diesel 5 speed, 2wd. About had to give it away. Sold it for 4k I think.. and this was around 2010, so wasn't that old. Bunch of ~10yr old truck sold today, most under 10k. Only one that I was doing *** was a 90s OBS Ford that went for 10k. A truck worth maybe 3-4k.
All of a sudden, those 90’s Fords became cult classics. Everyone is jonesing for them.
The F250 I just rehabbed received just over $13,000 in it and is 25 years old
Its like the 80's square body Chevy replacement for today. Ten years ago, everyone was after a square body to restore, but now the ones worth saving are pretty well gone. I have a 97 Ford with a 7.3 in the driveway, and it pisses my wife off something terrible. It needs some work, but does run. I gave $900 for it. I see the appeal if those were the trucks that were current during your childhood. I was 10 when my dad bought a new 96 off the lot. I loved that truck. I bought it from him when I was 18 and drove it through college. As a kid, and then a young driver, I always wanted one with a 7.3 Powerstroke. They always caught my eye when I was out, but I never had the coin to just go buy one. Then a project truck fell in my lap.
I need another truck for one of the guys, and have been shopping also. I imagine the choices are more limited in your area? Here, $20-$25,000 will buy a 100-125,000 mile 4x4 crew cab f-150. 2016-2018 or so. So in alaska, do you buy whatever is local and available? or do you buy it in washington/ oregon and have it shipped up? What's it cost to ship it to you? I've never been around a 3.7. I have two 2016-17 5.0's that have been great. I've avoided the 3.5 ecoboost- because I'm buying older trucks. I've been kicking around buying a newer f-150 with the 2.7 for myself. I never tow, but still need a pickup. They say the 2.7's are a pretty solid choice. I still have 3- 90's ford obs. one each 5.0-351- and a 460. They usually go when you hit the key, but the ride is nothing like a newer one.
The transmission went out of my Jeep liberty its not worth fixing . I am looking but i hate looking . I badly need to do some work to the 82 Chevy pickup i am driving now but its very hot out and coming home from work and then working on it is a deal. Too much crap going on right now .
Brothers 97 350 with around 80,000 miles, garage kept. *
That's beautiful. I would love a crew cab version like that. I have been to Washington once, back in 2009, for a 3 day trip. First thing I noticed was the high number of older vehicles on the road with absolutely no rust. Back in 09, I saw a lot of 80s era trucks and cars driving around that had paint related issues, but zero rust. The rest of the group thought I was nuts, but I was the only rust belt resident on the trip. Everyone else was like "that's normal where we are from". My 96 was an extended cab, short bed. This 97 is a chassis/cab with a flatbed. Its nothing special, but will be a farm truck when I'm done with it. Debating on keeping the flatbed or swapping it to a service body that I have.
I just took a road trip to the UP. I couldn't believe how fast stuff rusts out there. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle here. Even less buying a new vehicle there knowing it's gonna be swiss cheese soon. Is there some salt lobby backed by the Big Three to make sure cars don't last in Michigan? Didn't notice it nearly as much in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Have an 01' 250 7.3 I bought new. No rust to speak of however the paint is faded from sitting outside for 23 years. Rust is a problem on the Gulf coast down here. It attacks paint more than frames like road salt.
It’s common to purchase from Wa, OR, ID and ship or drive them up. North side Ford in PDX, or Dave Smith in Kellog are popular. The JBER airforce/army base, brings a lot of people back and forth, which brings a constant stream of fresh L48 vehicles up, that often end up in lots. Soon as you leave the road system is when things get weird. It’s $10k to ship a pickup to Nome this summer. $8k to Bethel.
Along with the 'bump sides' and 'dent sides' as the kids call them, early broncos, 78-79 broncos etc. What these trucks are worth nowadays almost makes me feel a little bad beatin' on my '79......almost
My Uncle on Dad's side bought cars US and shipped into Anchorage, worked as Aircraft Mechanic P/T and a Office grunt for KLM Airlines for seemingly Forever, had contacts for Air Freight that could not be any cheaper!!! Shipped a 1977 Buick Skyliner Station Wagon with Flying Tigers, cost him a Rifle from SAKO he had built in Netherlands and several bottles of hard to find hooch he had 'Acquired' over the years flying all across the Nation and $500 CASH.
That’s a great story
Uncle was very Proud of that event!! Was one of, IIRC, Three autos he did ship that way.
“Kim Rich is a journalist and an author. She wrote the classic memoir “Johnny's Girl,” it's about her tumultuous upbringing in Anchorage's underworld. Back in the 1960s”. I like reading and hearing stories about the Anchorage gangster days. That’s a very good read regarding early Anchorage history. Ironically, Anchorage is going back to a new era of mob rule. This time, it’s Mexican and Venezuelan cartel, drogas, Xhinease China Girl, homeless industry, L48 sex workers & human trafficking. Stay strapped or get clapped.
I knew a women from Anchorage--she had two brothels there, plus downtown property. She was tiny, she had twin boys, both tiny. Both were jockeys, riding the west coast tracks. One a horse stumbled and killed him, the other became a alcoholic, she bought him of all things-----a tavern---in Ellensburg. He did work as a trainer for some local horse people. But that was in the early mid 70's. She did have a interesting piece of trivia though, the one twin that was survivor---rode 8 races at Santa Nita all in one day----and won all 8 races. By her recollection it was a first and might still be. It took place in the early 50's. Her name was Hellen Rippy--long since past.
I have a 97 F350 7.3L flatbed dump with about 65k miles. Been a decent truck. Way quieter in the cab than my 08 Cummins shipping crate aka Dodge
Sad about Anchorage, knew of some of the dirt from the Uncle back in the 70s, he was living there when the Big Quake and Tsunami hit 1964, cleaned off some of the scum but not all.
Typical of boom towns/states, most move back with less than they had when they left. Same with the ND pipeline a few years back.
I just ordered that book. $11 from a mobile welding outfit off Amazon. Haha
Here is a great buy 13L 475 hp 2013 with 245,000 on it, 40K. *
You'd have to give me $40k to take it lol.
In 20 years, they might become collectable. In a F-series 10th gen type of way. Have to admit they are unique. A POS, admittedly.
Next to no support for them either from my experience.
I looked at a couple of those cat/international's. The prices on them are certainly attractive. There are a lot of them with really low mileage. They sure didn't build very many, I think I remember the international guys reporting they were only turning out 1,000-1,500 per year for Cat. I do get a kick out seeing some advertised as having a C13, instead of the CT13. I worried the low mileage ones, were because they were in the shop too often to have any miles on them.
Yup. What a flop. The introduction and marketing hype was fun and exciting. The execution, not so much.
I knew you guys would be chopping at the bit just seeing one of the best corporate disasters of the early 2000's, but there are a few better ones like Boeing. Moses Lake old Larson AFB a sea of jet tails.
Ah-- there's nothing quite as satisfying as a nice corporate disaster.
Well, I don't know what's going on, but used truck prices that I have seen are down. Seeing more 2010 and older daycabs in the 20's. 2010 to 2016's under 40's and some under 30's. Project trucks in the low teens. This one just popped up, and if I didn't already have something different bought, I think I would be going to look at this one. (aside from it being brown) For the last year, this has been a 50-$70,000 truck used. 2001 Peterbilt 378 $32,980 Dealership · Listed a day ago a day ago in Fremont, N E 2001 Peterbilt 378 Daycab Tri Axle Heavy Haul Caterpillar 6NZ showing 350k Miles 18 Speed Transmission Full Lockers Dual Exhaust/External Air Cleaners Jake Brake Cruise Control Cold AC Just in and going through the shop Located in Fremont, NE $32,980 OBO
Not long ago that engine and trans would have brought the asking price, let alone a truck with it.
I would really like it just for the short wheelbase. I don't know if its a double frame, or the rear end ratio, but its really what I spent the last 6-8 months looking for. I looked hard at a truck this spring, it was a KW set up just like this one, 3406e, 13 speed, double frame. lift axle etc. It was higher miles than this one, with a rust jacked frame- it was going to have to get re framed, and needed a interior. Its was a really rough truck. I passed on it at like 32 or 35,000, and someone else bought it the next day.
Coming on 24 years old, have my 05 is going to be 20 this fall as to build date. Parts can be somewhat sporadic, from the PACCAR KW parts man. Getting to a Past Due Obsolescence point.
Wonder why it's so short? Most haul trucks I see are at least 290" wheelbase, many 300" or 310"
Its short, because in a lot of areas, you don't have a prayer with a 310" wheelbase of making a corner. The used truck I bought, I'm afraid I'm going to end up getting rid of, because of the long wheelbase.
I run a 290" T880 never found it hard to get in spots. Older T800 though, felt like turning a battleship. Sorta like my 97 F350 C&C vs 2008 5500. The 5500 feels like it turns tighter than my little Jetta even.
Prices are dropping just due to age. Fleets don't run old stuff now that parts supply is back to normal from 2020. The other is buyers of new are purchasing a full warranty that covers emissions up to 700,000. By that time it's headed for the culling lot. Most anything built from 06 to 2016 is a turd bringing bottom bucks. The other reason is most buyers have moved on and figured it just isn't worth running older class 8 rigs. It's too hard to find a decent driver whether it's a vocational or otr and real factor is most just don't want to drive old trucks. Another factor is AMT transmissions, better fuel mileage and way less issues than manual. Plus many new drivers are only testing on AMT trucks so that's what is stamped on their cdl. As time goes by these relics will disappear starting at a slow rate then speed up, strictly because of cdl rating. A contractor here dumped two old and bought new with AMT's because of drivers applying with only a AMT rating. It's happening, AMT's are consuming 80% plus of new truck purchasing/manufacture. * My old company just dumped 8 with higher mileage than before strictly because of the parts and new build back up that happened in 2019 through 2022. He ran them to 650,000 but he also bought some extra warranty to run them longer. But he is now back to 500,000 and cull it. * And as C.O noted on one he was looking at the frame was rust jacked, that is the bones of a old truck, very very few want to fiddle with replacing rails, very costly. And many for sale especially in the midwest to eastern sea board the frames are questionable. * So it's off to the chipper/Shredder .
Chipper/Shredder---that has a nice ring to it.
I didn’t realize Canada required short wheel based tractors. The K-Dub in my avatar is a 244. It came from the Yukon. With a sleeper, there just isn’t any frame space left for mounting anything. I guess the rules changed recently and they can run 284s now.
Right here make a great ice road tanker--only 35K. *
They got the job done once. They could do it again. But, we don’t have the men of steel that could drive a rig like that, in 2024. . Trying to plug their smart phone in. But, no ELD!
Never was men of steel- just some that worked harder than others and didn't know any better.
I agree with that, I would also put down hungry enough. Ain't nobody hungry nowadays
I'm hungry every day. My guys get after it. I work with lots of different companies, from 5 to 500 employees. And the good outfits all have guys that are sharp, and know how to run projects. Maybe you just run in the wrong circles? Because I read threads here all the time, from semi retired, to 20 and 30 year olds, who are out there everyday, putting one foot in front of the other, getting the work done. Don't paint them all with your brush.
Your in a pretty good spot, and there's plenty of them, but take all the workers/employees/unemployed out there, put them in a parking lot, and then try to find a worker like you have, it will take awhile. Just about the only reliable way to find good help is newly released felons at a Oxford (sober) house, those guys are hungry.
Well I can say I was one of those, I worked 7 days a week for 20 years with Tate Transportation. Missed a total of 2 Saturdays in that time. I chose to work that way because I felt it was what was required to keep up. I was in the office just this Saturday morning and the owner plus two guys in dispatch said--{ You were with out a doubt the fastest mechanic and best mechanic we've ever seen and my dad {Ray} said the most consistent engine man he has ever seen or employed}. And yes I was hungry. I remember the poor/hungry days on the farm, I'm in control of my destiny and I never wanted to end up like that again. * Retired but still hungry.
If you work quick and efficient you go home feeling good, if your slow and lazy you go home tired You do need to take time for yourself and your family though
I was always Hungry, as well Tired of struggling yet struggled with so much extra every day, is how I manage the projects I do today bumping toward 68. Extra Cash is always welcome where I do Earn every penny, I do/Will NOT screw off or around. We have several Not So Hungry, ALWAYS Tired, always looking for a Freebie, two call in sick to work at least weekly, one just does not show up then as gets called says is sick. Employer cannot achieve continual growth workers, stated so as called me back as knew I would get it done, 'For Awhile'. Currently have myself as Part time sort of, have Three going to retire within next six to eight months, at least one perhaps two only working for the experience time to move on at the Two Year service mark. That of 18 total hourly Driver employees, have eight others run trash routes or excavation work and the two 'Techs' in the shop and NO they are not Mechanics.
Good people seek and stay with good companies.
Good people work for good bosses. They will work for a crappy company as long as they have a good boss. Even with a good company if they get a crappy boss they are looking for a new job.
And----some/most are in debt up to there ears, so they stay working in the same old lousy environment they have been in for the last X amount of time. People hate change and changing jobs is a big leap for most, the ones willing to bounce around either don't care about anything stable or how much they owe or they are the type who owe very little and can afford to make major career moves.
This just popped up on marketplace, is this a freaking joke? I don't care how much you spent or how "nice" it is, it's still an F-100, nothing special, nothing rare. Sometimes I feel like messaging these people just to say *** is wrong with you buddy? $155K is as much as I paid for my house..... Facebook www.facebook.com
Uh, that's a street rod.
What yah give for this mess? *
I see someone selling a $500 Loadstar for 3k because someone street rodded one and sold it for 33k.
.... and worth maybe half what they are asking. What about this gem (from the same seller): Facebook www.facebook.com
I guess based on what we know about truck prices at least $200K, since its a one-off Kustom and all...
Here's the thing--anyone can ask a asinine price, what's really asinine is the ass who buys it. But in saying that---maybe he likes buying asinine things--J.G. Wentworth-{It's your money waste it the way you want!}
And to go with this talk--A little more than 10 minutes ago the door bell rang, a young guy asking if I would sell my 2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4L 4X4. {NO JOKE}. I just looked at him and said {No I'm not really wanting to sell, I bought it in 2013 for $6,000 with 55,000 on it. I just replaced the timing chains, injectors and a few other items last year. If I sold it what would I buy, it does everything I need}. {I'll give you $8,000 for it} Still no. It's straight as a pin and everything works. *
Straight as a pin, is why he wants it.
Horrible vehicle. Brings back nightmares from a time in Central America..
And no mid-eastern U.S. rust. Has 146,000 on it, trans serviced three times along with T case. Drive axle oil changed twice, brakes 70%, new shocks, tires 75%. Ignition system replaced, water pump, nox sensor and just bought new black/tan canvas seat covers. Only gets 20 mpg but that is tops for one of these.-----and no payments. * The best part---- I trained the stereo to only seek classic rock stations, like the movie-- No Country for this Old Man.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the Land Rover, I think he may have added an extra zero to the price by mistake.
Here we go--for you heavy movers--this one is prime mover. 1160 V8 Cat with a massive lowboy. Cheap. *
Doesn't mean it's a bad thing, i'm not hungry anymore, i've let many jobs go in the last while, I haven't done a job since January 2023 because I built myself a new house. I worked my *** off in my mid 20's when I started my business and burnt myself out, because of that i'm very comfortable now and see no reason to continue to do so. I'm taking the whole winter to travel also and likely won't work at all for another 6 months asides from at my house finishing up landscaping, driveway, etc. You can work as hard as you want but if you aren't smart with the money it's a waste of time. I'm planning to be semi-retired by 40 and work as I feel like it.
It's perfect! I can move the skid loader without all the big truck purists yelling about how there is only "one little wire" between my pickup and disaster . . .
Well then you better not mess around----$9,000 buys it on FB Vintage Truck Market Place. * I don't worry or care about the one little wire---I don't own a trailer.
Don't have a photo of it But----1986 C500 Kenworth, BC III, 13spd, 20,000 lb front axle, 46,000 lb rear's on Hendrickson setting on 2 speed Eaton 402P's. 12 yard low sided box Has a plow mount in front. Cab inside and out in good condition, Hood is good, Box has some wear but in decent shape. Asking $18,000 if IIRC. I looked it over somewhat. Tires were 60% IIRC. It's Tank tough to break it. * Hagerman Truck Parts & Salvage, Umatilla, Ore. 1-541-922-6455, ask for Dwayne Smalley.
If buy it if I had money
Ford LTL9000 $70,000 Listed 8 hours ago 8 hours ago in Harvard, IL Here’s your chance to own a classic. I am listing this for a friend. 1990 Ford LTL9000. NTC 400 Cummins with Jake. 13 speed. 3.91 rears 40k neway air ride. Deluxe interior. Full maintenance records on this 1 owner semi. Has wet kit with cooler. 185,000 original miles. Any questions call Allan [hidden information]. Located in Zenda WI
Ooo, "my chance"!
Probably a 1211 CPL, low flow, step time control. One of the worst CPL's. It's a $25,000 dollar truck and that's stretching it. If it had a BCIII, early BBCIV or a Cat $30,000. Mileage means nothing in this case. It sold new in 90 for average price of $70,000. Right now average is 12 to 28K.
1971 S12. cheap. * Facebook www.facebook.com
What does the S-12 mean? Axle set back 12 inches?
There were S-2's and S-12's, both could have set back front axles, basically a C500 with fiber glass hood. The S-2 was a narrow hood, S-12 is the wide hood with larger radiator.
Truck prices have seemed to soften a bit. I’ve been looking at adding a second truck. When I bought my current truck I had been looking at a kenworth t380 with a 14’ stellar body. In the fall of 2023, the price was $302k. Same truck right now can be bought for $255k
Some change on Used here too, older trucks at the yard have been going to Auction, that may end as those prices dropped horribly.
Came off the pandemic price hike, parts are available, manufacturing is running with no maximum order control. But allot of trucks are high mileage for two reasons, emmisions & no issues placing orders. A three axle no drop tractor is not hard to find--lots of them. Used 4 axle with drop has taken a average drop of 14K no matter the brand. * The area where some are crying is 80's vintage--those prices were stupid to say the least. Paid way too much for repowered chassis with 2 million, doesn't matter if it was rebuilt, those values are starting to tank somewhat. Couple of items that most everyone can't do without working A/C and cruise control---and cruise control is the big one. Some are taking a bath.
And still seeing YRW as well other noted bankruptcy sale fleet trucks on the roll on highways as deck sets. Flooded markets in the second class of sale, used to farms small business. Local here bought three ex RW blue and orange tandem trucks two running and one for spare for same money dealer wanted for one three year old day cab tandem.
There was a clown here in town that would buy those midwest freighter crap wagons, deck'em and bring back to sell as {Farmer Bargains}. Funny part of that is every time a freighter goes upside down the remnants are littered all about, dotting the landscape for years with eventual mouse houses.
Are showing up at nearly every discount used machine lot around here too. Are Everywhere! Tons of junk sitting at bargain basement pricing, may not be worth that coin either. Fleet trucks are pretty well stripped down, low power and minimal gearing no amenity Terds.
But Dave--perfect pile for a farmer or contractor, cheap cheaper cheapest.
LOL, that local has already figured out a LTL truck is Not Rated to handle grain hauls 48 miles one way in a timely or fuel efficient manner! Gutless, top speed of 56mph light grades 35mph, constant shift constant battle. He noted only getting 4.5-5.2mpg on a good day, cab is a sun room when sun is out and a freezer where has to scrape ws on the inside when parked, cruise not equipped or broken so cannot idle up for heat. Cannot figure out nor want to pay for idle time auto shut down removal. But he does brag of cheapest truck ever picked up!! Dumazz!
BTW, has already had three Aftertreatment hard fails where has spent his saved money for repairs. No warranty expressed or implied on these junkers.
This one is fresh off the assembly line. Fun picture I took today at a client.
Saw this beauty today.
It looks wrong with the front bumper flaps in a "V". I want to like it, but its just not happening for me. The grill guard however, is right, its not obtrusively obnoxiously ugly, like so many of them are. And the best, is that big fat tow hook, right up front and easy to access for those unforeseen escapades.
Well I just bought this 1988 800--L10 300 hp 9 speed single axle with Reyco spring that can be converted to Reyco 102 Air Ride using the front hangers. Perfect cab inside & out, perfect hood, no rust aluminum wheels, A/C. with 150,103 miles on it for under $3,000. Already have a buyer--make a service truck out of it. *
I don’t like those crazy expensive heated headlamps, either. But, they can’t keep new Cummins on the road. It’s absolutely ridiculous. I mean, if we could restore the legends and put them to work. It’s not realistic. Five or six years, the Dalton chews up a rig and spits it out. We need a steady supply of new ones. WS PDI Services is really cool, though. It’s incredibly convenient for upfitting.
Rough roads in harsh weather probably really puts a beating on them. Its probably like dog to human years. 4 years up there is 28 "interstate" years. All those little plastic bits end up floating around like dust motes in the cab.
Dog years. that’s awesome.
If it ain’t the road, it’s the mountains trying to kill us.
Are you doing any rebuild work on it?
That would make you want to go home and hug the rabbits.
Other than batteries---no.
Other than emissions problems are the Cummins giving you guys other issues?
That'll make ya poop a little.
Cylinders blocks and liner failures. Then, it takes so long to get Cummins to react and work through the warranty process. Then, you have to deal with the down time. But, downtime isn’t as critical as it once was. Since, there are no drivers. Lol Lots of rigs sitting still.
Here is a picture of the optional WS 49X 16mm full parent front frame with a 9mm liner . These started getting ordered because there are local reports from the heavy haul guys of the standard frame breaking. Between the steering box and the bumper.
Everything is painted black, so it’s hard to see. Makes it so much easier to mount the push bumper vs standard frame horns. I’ll get more pictures as the tractors get upfitted. The ballast box frames are getting fabed at the moment.
You putting front weight boxes on, to help with steering?
No. Here is a video of how the Dalton Hwy push trucks are configured. Good drone view around the 1:50 mark. The music is obnoxious. Interesting how the rigs have evolved over the years.
They must spend as much time cleaning out air filters as they do driving . . .
Dry road is a rare occurrence. It’s usually mud. The AK DOT treats it heavy with calcium chloride. Creates a sticky, corrosive, mud that never washes off. Tourists drive their expensive motorcycles and recreational vehicles to Deadhorse. Never the same after that.
Who knows, with T$ in office, we might get a new road to the Ambler Mining District. He signed an EO authorization to remove restrictions.
There's a you tuber that I watch that drove from prudhoe bay to some southern town in Chile in a Honda c90. He's got more more money in food than bike
C90 Adventures? Last couple years, it has been a steady stream of Euro adventure bikers heading to Deadhorse in the summer. I stop and talk to the English speaking ones when the opportunity presents. Because I’m working gas stations on the Richardson and the Parks. When they get through Canada and make their first stop in Tok, they are very sorry looking. Covered in bugs and dust, or mud. They all stop at Fast Eddies for a meal.
Ambler Road Project – Division of Mining, Land, and Water The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority (AIDEA) has proposed to construct a 211-mile private industrial access road from mile post 161 on the Dalton Highway to the Ambler Mining District. dnr.alaska.gov https://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/ambler-road/pdf/federal/Ambler-FEIS-Volume-4-Maps.pdf
Yes that crazy bloke, he started in Anchorage went north then south, went across the Canadian plains in winter blizzards. I will buy a c90 or a trail 90 when I have some spare money, can't beat able to fix it with a hammer and a vice grips and able to go 55 mph sometimes
I grew up riding a worn out Mini Trail 70. Me and a buddy each had one and we rode all over until one crazy neighbor started calling the cops on us. I got mine at 10, rode til I was 14 or so when my dad asked me to put it up because of the never ending presence of the police. They started slow cruising our dead end street daily, waiting for us to even cross the road. I still have it, but it needs some top end work now to run.
That's a little different push bumper arrangement. I don't think I've ever seen them that short coupled. How do they turn ?, looks like they would tear up the bumpers. We just got done pulling a push bumper off our new lowboy puller. It was a old transformer/ generator moving push truck.
IIRC the lead truck does the steering rear trucks just shove, pinned together. Speaking just of rear trucks.
I’ll provide a better picture of the bumper/ cushion arrangement in a couple days when I get back to Anchorage. I’m not a heavy haul guy. Just a dirty, old tanker-yanker. It just interests me. Cool Stuff. I set up a separate biz entity over the winter to provide pilot cars and flagging for the heavy haul guys. But, I’m swamped with tanks at the moment. Actually, I’m sick again with that respiratory virus going around. So, I’m just napping and sh$tposting on the HEF today.
Not many seem to have much nice to say about Cummins these days.
Parts in fuel pumps are ceramic and have a issue with disintegrating, liner/block issues caused by running hot, camshaft & bearing issues, lots of egr issues, oiling issues, other than that it's a wonderful time bomb.
Sadly if you're a Paccar fan your only other choice is an MX, which I have also heard lots of mixed reviews on. I've never actually seen an MX-13 in person before so I kind of have to guess that they aren't an extremely popular engine. At least in oilfield or heavy haul, which is the primary industry where I am.
Allot of MX's out there now, all with very mixed reviews.
Employer running MX and X15s currently, seem to very 'Tender" engines, subjective to any form of using to limits, abuse is just abuse. Star Dump trucks running the now Ended production MX12s, the newer Petes and other road equipment X15s. Filtration systems are a Blast from the Past obnoxious to deal with but a slight bit better than the DDs. Not seen much of any 'Improvements' for these as to previous iterations of engine designs, Defined Throwaways.
This had been posted on this thread earlier, price had dropped never sold it's back up to 50K. A case of dreaming to big. *
Hands full of antique failure prone stuff. All for that Low Low $50 g
The guy bought it from a California sale originally for 25K.
It laid me out a couple days too. Feeling ok this morning at least.
https://www.cnn.com/2025/05/01/business/first-driverless-semis-started-regular-routes?cid=ios_app
Yes--folks, coming to a street-highway near you soon.
This should be interesting. The Hirschbach terminal for the Dallas area is only a couple of miles from our house. I go by it every day. It is terribly congested in that area. I am surprised one of these driverless rigs can even get out onto the highway from that location.
Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
Facebook www.facebook.com
Did someone repower that? I didn't think Mack ever put Cat engines in their trucks, only Cummins for big power.
Same guy has another with same for sale. I think that one had a E6 originally. But it looks to be a nice job. * I checked my mack stuff--yes mack also had cat engines as a option.
@Truck Shop . . . Facebook www.facebook.com
It's just a show to run southern states, chaining those and winter conditions makes them a seasonal truck at best. Mine was no different, impractical in many cases.
That's a purdy one.
Purdy Spensive!!
Name something that isn't, base price for junk used diesel pickups is $8,000 with 300K miles.
Cannot get that even for my reconstruct here. 99 SD F250 7.3 with 345k, next to worthless on resale. Going into Third year Big Blue been completed, need to replace QR1 on steer, going to replace both steer chamber hoses for my own concerns. Best money could even expect of that $45-50, still cost me $62 to produce HOWEVER, does what I need for just over half what a replacement F550 or Ram 5500 would cost USED. Fuel consumption dragging trailer, Similar to the other two, HP is close to same Torque is QUITE Apparent Higher. Better braking effort, Exhaust brake most effective, Better Truck weight to load coefficient. Wife gets a Private Nap Room and I get to play!
8K is pretty common around here--remember west of rockies don't look like swiss cheese, it's swiss cheese that really discounts. Absurd prices no matter how it appears, you get 10 to 11 mpg with that cat?
Towing at 70-72 on cruise steady state 14k trailer 7.5-8. Most here not getting 9 from 6.7 or Cummins under a strain load unless drop to 55-60, that from owners then achieve the Magic 10. Put them in Hills and hollows running lucky to avg 35mph and less than 8.5mpg. Flat lands at altitude is where they exhibit better economy. Main point keep just at low end of peak power 1550-1600rpm.
Is fhe reason Blue is towing our trailer
That truck doesn't even know there's a horse trailer behind it.
Nope
Will never see heat in cylinders.
Have had the pyrometer touch 900!!!
For how long, sustained, constant, non stop 6 miles of 6%. It's not pulling enough weight. Not banging it, just isn't enough weight to sustain high boost.
At the rate small engines are climbing horsepower/torque ratings with a Cummins 6.7 @ 420 hp torque @ 1075, those are putting out almost as much as a Big Cam 400. More horsepower by 20 only 125 ft lbs less in torque. BC's ran in the area of 1200 to 1300 ft lbs. * With that range possibly insight or more, in torque capabilities. The feds may as well drop CDL requirements across the board. For the simple fact pickups have become class eight in respect to towing ability. Next thing will be added is air brakes, it's the only thing holding up the steady climb of super pickups. It will be lobbied to pass for the simple fact if it's built the public will buy it. No one wants regulations except if they see it should apply to someone else and not them, so drop the regs make it wide open, wild wild west style. Air disc brakes are next to be added, and more maintenance dollars for dealers. * Diesel pusher RV's with air brakes don't require CDL's so may as well make it wide open.
The last diesel pickup I owned was a '99 F250 w/ 7.3, once they went to all the emissions crap and DEF I'm out, back to gas powered pickups now. That said, I'm completely out of the loop on these new light duty diesels, I can't imagine durability and longevity is what it used to be. Just too much power per cu. in. to hold up to any real work. Seems like they are going down the same road as the modern tiny displacement 4cyls with turbos putting out huge power numbers. Great on paper and for sales, but neglect any maintenance or push it too hard and everything goes to crap.
Coming out of Eureka Springs on old US 65 toward Springfield, At least 6%, climbing at 60mph for just at a mile in Arkansas, kept is right on 60 with traffic on cruise.
The pickups show paper numbers like a Big Cam, but the duty cycle isn't there. The duty cycle on the whole pickup just isn't there . . .
That's what I figured. Longevity aside, I imagine if you try to use all the power they start to de-rate and all sorts of electronic nannies kick in to prevent you from hurting anything.
It's not meant to be, can't sell parts without obsolescence. It's marketing, average buyer never will keep till dead. What's on paper is what flew out of dyno graph. They don't care as long as it sells and makes it past warranty, The cycle is pretty high as it is because of the thousands that have 300K with old gas engines years ago that needed major repair by 125,000. But that aside people never thought computers, 7 speed plus automatics, huge rotor disc brakes, would ever see the GVW/GVWR that is common now. And just years ago 3/4 ton was 8,000 GVW.
Power delivery and torque curve are another big difference. The only 'modern' diesel pickup with a manual transmission I spent much time driving was my fathers 2010 Dodge 3500 with 6.7 and 6spd. It was pretty awful, engine had good power but it was very peaky. Seemed like the power band was only about 500rpms, once you fall off that the truck would fall on it's face. With just a 6spd on a big hill it would pull down, drop off the boost and if you just dropped down a gear it wouldn't gain it back. Had to either down shift early or drop two gears. I guess the new 10spd auto transmissions mask this narrow power band. I've noticed the same with new tractors and equipment with smaller displacement turbo diesels. On paper they make the same power as older models, but in the field it sure doesn't feel like it. You don't have that big broad torque curve that you get with big displacement. Hit a tough spot and the old diesels just wouldn't quit pulling, new ones feel like the just give up lol.
Diesel power bands are typically close, always have been. 14 & 15 liter engines normally run in a comfort zone of 450 rpm useable. BC's were no good below 1650 and maxed at 2100, B model cat the same thing. And most newer still only have a 500 rpm cushion. A Detroit 2 stroke was 1700 on bottom 2100 on top and best kept at 2 to 21, once 1700 it would fall on it's face just like all the rest. Can't wait to shift when it starts hitting 1825 it's down shift because of lag time it will come in at 2000/2050 and stabbed to the wood. * The 5.9 12V started at 200 horse power and 420 torque, and right now as the 6.7 it has more than doubled.
We crap on newer vehicles but aside from electronics these newer pickups outlast the older ones by far. I've seen GM LS engines and automatic transmissions hit 500k km with nothing besides maintenance. I doubt very many SBC's and TH350's lasted that long. Heck even the bodies and frames hardly rot like they did 30 years ago.
Unless someone owns a 6.2 LT2 with Dynamic fuel management, those are a issue.
The aluminum bodies on these new Fords is a Huge selling point for me, greatly slowed the rate at which they rot out. These new gas or diesel engines 'should' go 300k mi+, with good maintenance and the better oils we have now. Auto trans the jury is still out for me. I find it very upsetting that they are now sealed, no dip stick, and 'not user serviceable.' According to Ford the fluid and filter are good for the life of the vehicle (which is 100K mi according to them.) That's a bunch horseshit, I change the ATF/filter every 30K mi in my '19 F250. It's a horrible, messy job, and usually ends with burns on your hand/arm from the tiny "dipstick/filler" port next to the exhaust, but it can and should be done. The most disturbing part of the new trucks is that they are all connected to the internet and getting constant 'updates' over the air. It's getting to the point where it's questionable if you even really own the vehicle.
They sell what {they} want you to buy, not what you want to buy.
Even my old GMT-900 hardly rusted. I had no paint left on the body under the doors or behind the rear wheels for the last couple years I owned it and there was barely any surface rust on it. I've had the transmission serviced on Ford about every 100k km. Last service got done early because the lead frame crapped out. They do sell an aftermarket dipstick for the F150, been telling myself I'll put one in since I bought the truck, been procrastinating on that one almost 10 years lol.
Just wait till the huge screen starts playing ads in the vehicles and you have to pay monthly to hook your phone to it
I live next to the biggest Amish settlement around. They dont drive they use horses. They are heavy in to construction so they need stuff hauled . So They buy the biggest most powerful pickup and get a driver that hasnt had a lot or any experiece that dosent have a CDL . Its scary to see some of their loads . They need be using trucks .It really seems crazy what manufacture are turning out but i guess their more worried about sells than safety or anything else.
That is true, and even worse they've made consumers believe they actually want this stuff. Its like telling a small child "Hey, carrying and stacking all this wood is super fun, we're having a great time!" and they believe it. Same with all this technology in cars, it's not for the customer, its because it's cheap to manufacture, easy for the companies to control, and easy for them to setup paywalls, charge subscriptions, etc. Ultimately the consumer still has the power though, with enough push back things can change. The problem is your average car buyer doesn't care. That said, I think there are somethings that almost everyone finds objectionable, like pop up ads on the screens (Stellantis) and paywalls for basic features like heated seats (BMW).
That's the real issue.
From my experience the newer diesels with DEF - Ford 6.7 and Ram 6.7 - are more dependable than the (obviously) awful Ford 6.0 and the Ford 7.3. I know that's going against the current love of the 7.3 but it's what I've experienced not to mention the Ford 6.7 will run circles around a 7.3, time is money. IIRC I've owned 4 - 7.3's, 4 - 6.0's, 3 - Ford 6.7's and 2 Ram 6.7's over the last 25 years. Currently have a 7.3, 2 - Ford 6.7's and 2 - Ram 6.7's. 2001 7.3 - 300K miles. You better keep a cam sensor in the glove box. 7.3 owners understand this. Otherwise engine has been great. On second transmission. Grossly underpowered compared to our Ford and Ram 6.7's. 2013 Ford 6.7 - Engine has been great. 300K miles and on 2nd transmission. Had to be towed to the yard last week not for engine issues but a traction control/ABS - BS sensor that derated the truck with a mini-ex behind. 6.7 engine has given no issues. 2019 RAM 6.7 - 100K + and no issues engine or transmission wise. The truck has the Aisin auto. 2022 Ford 6.7 - 68K miles and no issues but no miles either. 2026 Ram 6.7 - new Transmissions are the weak part from my experience. Going to sell the '13 6.7 as it's going to be replaced by the '19 Ram. With commercial auto so expensive can't afford to keep a spare truck on the policy. Doesn't make financial sense.
Our local tri-axle truck driver said screw the expensive trucks and uses a Mini Cooper for his parts rig. Kinda funny seeing two guys trying to put a set of brakes and drums in a Mini Cooper trunk, without damaging it. Lol
Cheap truck.
I know, right? Is T$ going to let us have Kei trucks, or what?
Dealer salesman I know that retired and is part time parts driver at napa store, repeatedly has said. {75% of the time I could talk a shopper up at least one level higher on options}. * When we bought our last car, 2017 Altima {only has 19,160 on it now}. I gave no room right off the bat. {This is our trade, this is what I want for it, this is the model I'm looking for, I'm paying cash don't even ask me to fill out a credit app, either you want to sell a car today or you don't, which is it?}. Oh that car is garaged year round not one door ding and still has original tires which have been rotated and should make 45,000 miles. Will be dead before that happens.
Get the Yak Pak Pro.
The typical new car buyer doesn't keep them long enough to have problems with the crap they're putting on cars now so they don't have to care. I'm not going to pay the price of a new car so I'll have to deal with all the extra junk when it starts going bad in 10 or 15 years. My 2012 Toyota van is relatively junk free (no screens, heated stuff, climate control) but it won't last forever. My '99 Tacoma has power locks and windows and that's it, not even ABS. All I've done in the crap department is change the switches in the door. Everything else is manual, including the transfer case and hubs. I'm dreading the day when the "old" stuff that I like is all worn out and I have to deal with all this new garbage when it starts to go bad on the used cars of tomorrow.
I've started looking for an older truck in decent shape. I will sink $20k-$25k into an 80's to early 2000's truck long before I drop $70k on a base model half ton.
Here's a little something to chew on. At some point after your 60 and your life is winding down, having a new vehicle to carry you to 85 is probably a plan. #1 you ain't going to work on it, #2 you ain't going to want the expense after retire, #3 By that time 60% chance of high blood pressure and ain't going to want the stress. As 80 rolls by it's getting time for someone to take your KEYS away, bad eyesight, can't hear, bad reflexes and you've shrunk and need a booster seat to see over the steering wheel. Long trips start becoming a no can do because there's no rest area's anymore because those got voted out ten years back for states to save money. And-- owning a tall 4x4 pickup, that's a waste, too hard to get into and you ain't got nothing to haul because your body is shot and you'll just hurt yourself trying to work. No more hotrods, no more 4x4's, no more motorhomes, no more motorcycles, no more atv's, no more worry about cdl's. Other than that, it's all smooth sailing, a car is all that's needed.
A buddy came into the shop looking for a fuse for his newer Dodge pickup. I thing it was a J style fuse . He had stopped got one at a parts store $15.00 ????
I plan to always keep at least one older pickup around as backup, the problem is parts. Unlike farm/construction equipment where OEMs sometimes supply parts for many decades, there are fewer and fewer good parts options for any vehicles older than 10-20yrs. Vehicle manufacturers drop them as quick as they can and anything you buy at the parts store is just the worst Made In China **** you can imagine. I've got a '93 F250 7.3IDI that I've been trying to keep on the road. Injector return line sets only last about a year maybe two, vacuum pump for the brakes are so bad I've started writing the date and mileage on them, can't buy a decent wheel cylinder or even rebuild kit anymore, rear wheel seals are made in China crap, etc.
Prices are nuts in Canada. This F150 is at the same dealer I bought the newest RAM from just the Ford division. Probably the best truck (1/2 ton) for the money at the moment. $44K for a new F150 4x4 with some amenities. It's a '25 but still new. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/443009e7-5770-4d5c-b7fd-589e24211dab
^^^^^ Two problems with that! #1 it’s a FORD #2 it a twin turbo V6. I don’t like the idea of turbos on gas jobs. Unless granny drives it, those turbos are a wear item and are very expensive to replace at 100k and unfortunately that is when they are most vulnerable. Buying a gas turbo used anything, is the worst kinda crapshoot. Granted, finding a new full size pickup, without one, is getting harder and harder to find. I have driven a few of the Ford trucks with turbos and they make nice power but also know a few Ford guys not happy paying for turbos as soon as their warranty ran out.
The cam phasers on our 2017 F-150 were the weak link, they were rattling badly when I purchased the truck from Ritchie Bros. (my fault, as thought I could hear 'sounds' in Ritchie video) I really wanted to like this pickup as it had the rare HDPP package which would allow me to scale legally with tools/tidy tanks. My thinking was: already have a 5 ton and a single axle truck for heavier use so don't need a 'big' diesel pickup. Used it for 6 months or so, then catastrophic failure coming up steep grade to Monte Lake. Sitting now at home, used engines sketchy & hard to find. Just for kicks got a quote from Ford dealership here: $26,908 (long block, turbos, intake manifold) LOL! No thanks! Those little turbos are really buried deep under the engine, really hard to see them even! It was NOT maintained properly by fleet and showed a lot of idling hours on the meter; used by supervisor on Calgary ring road, so lots of sitting in cold weather, running heater. I have seen some high mile 3.5 Ecoboost's that run quiet & smooth but probably had meticulous maintenance....We keep our vehicles for a long period of time so really like the aluminum body in that regard, looks perfect and no corrosion showing at all. Ended up with a 2015 Ram dually, really liking this one for a support truck. A bit rough but nice steel deck and came with a Honda GX powered Ingersoll rand compressor and Job box for $6750 at Ritchie's in Prince George. Got lucky on this one...6.7 is very impressive (to me) and engine brake actually has good holdback. Useful as everything here is up or down/curves...The engine has no egr, def, dpf etc. Looks like a keeper! A new, fully loaded diesel pickup here (list prices I have seen) is pushing $120,000. Here is a screenshot of a 2024 F150 at our local ford dealer....$80,999 (plus 12% tax)
Each to his own. 1 - I'm a Ford guy. Owned a bunch of them. 2 - For $45K I can buy the truck and a 5 YR 100K warranty for another $2K put a crew in it, trade every 5 years and keep a truck in the field under warranty the entire time. All the truck needs to be able to do is carry a 70 gal slip tank, tool boxes and 2-3 guys. Different economics.
Yeah that's a Platinum which is a very nice truck. The one I posted is basically a notch above an XL. My 350 is a Platinum and it's the finest truck I've owned.
I heard way too many negatives from people about the Ecoboosts so I steered clear. Plus if I buy something with a turbo it better whistle like a 6.0 Powerstroke. I've been relatively happy with the 5.0L, got one of the last ones before they updated to the 3rd Gen Coyotes. It hasn't been GM LS reliable but pretty damn close.
My wife has an 18 F 150 with the eco boost. She drives like a Grandma......cuz she is! We have 80k on it and zero engine issues thus far. It averages around 20 mpg, insurance is $140 a month, so it's pretty cheap to keep around. Oh, and I just put new tires on it for the first time, so it's easy on them.
The manufactures have to make vehicles that meet an always changing list of government regulations. Nobody asked for cars that turn the engine off at stop lights, engines that deactivate cylinders, air bags that were (past tense, fortunately) powerful enough to kill a person, or many of the other requirements from the regulations.
First thing we do when we start it is shut the stupid auto shut-off off. Let's see, spend an extra 100 bucks on fuel over the life of the vehicle or thousands on starters.
If you get forscan, downloaded on a laptop with a adaptor, you can shut off the auto start. It was the best money I spent on my truck. I hated the auto stop, and hated pressing the button to deactivate it. I try to limit the frustrations in my world.
Thanks, I didn't know you could shut it off permanently.
I've replaced a lot of starters. With non auto start, you're usually at the house, at the shop, or worst case at the store or gas station- when the starter dies. With auto start, odds are you are going to be sitting at a stoplight, when it decides it doesn't want to do its thing anymore. Of course it would help if I wasn't trying to get the last 100,000 miles from my trucks, rather than buying new trucks and getting the first 100,000 miles from a truck. But I don't want to be the guy with the dead truck at the stoplight.
As a rule I don't buy anything until it's been in production a year or two so I can at least see what the common issues are and hopefully they are rectified in production. So one of the real reasons I went the 5.0L route.
That little 3.6 or whatever it is is pretty danged impressive for get up and go. We don't tow anything with it, but I would think the 5.0 would be a much safer - proven performer all around. We bought ours new with pretty substantial discounts as the new year models had come out.
I cant understand why a company will spend $$$$$$ on a new engine or some thing then not stick with it very long? Some companys come out with something and produce it for several years proving it was a good ideal.
Cheap trucks ChenfengMachine Export Welcome to Chenfeng Machine Export — Your trusted source for factory-direct Chinese machinery. We specialize in exporting reliable, affordable, and high-performance equipment including: Four-wheel-drive agricultural vehicles All-terrain mountain trucks (四不像车辆) ⚙️ Farm machinery & mini dump... www.youtube.com
No thanks
They have those in the Marines on long road runs especially in boot camp a drill instructor drove and would scream" Hurry up, Don't fall back, Hurry up catch the pack" lol the Corpsman rode with him and if you passed out or got hurt on the run then you hoped in the back
This girl has been sitting around for almost 6 months and finally made it to the terminal. No idea what She cost. Still not ready to go to work. Needs the Samsura installed, the telemetry system, placards, air -tested, pump tested, Fire extinguishers, spill kit, radios, moose lamps, work lamps, re-torque the cargo tank mounts, and I’m forgetting stuff. The vinyl shop did their magic on Thursday.
Look at those hips! This gal can pack a load! I tell you what. 4,500 gallons of any flavor you want. Twin 2.5” Blackmer pumps. Twin hose reels. You can double fist those nozzles like a cowboy with six shooters. Hmmmm. I wonder if you can actually engage both PTO’s at the same time? Hmmmm.
Going to go look at a KW tomorrow. Seller started at $32,000 and is down to $16,500. Its a 2014 t-800 with 560,000 miles or so. Paccar 12.7, 13 speed and D/RSP41 rears. 4 bag air ride. Its DEF, and so far we've avoided that, but I told one of the guys, we're going to have to start to deal with it sometime, or run 2001's until we retire. We're looking at building another big flatbed counterweight truck out of it. Its got enough wheelbase I think.
Does kenworth still run an 8 bag air ride? Do they have their own 4 bag or would that be an aftermarket
We have a 8 bag in one of our trucks, and a lot of the kw's I look at used have it, and I think they are also offered in their new trucks (I'm not really a new truck shopper). There's several different types of 8 bag. Our 8 bag has a lot of lean to it, and I don't like it, but one of my guys loves driving it, because it rides so smooth. I think it sways like a boat. Ours is the AG100, and I think rebushing it might help it, as well as putting in bigger air lines. I don't know what 4 bag is in the truck I'm going to look at. The seller doesn't know much about it.
Guys used to say it felt like driving on icy roads
I think it would be better if the weight was all sitting on a 5th wheel. But we have a flatbed on ours, and we are always loading and unloading the crane weights, and its easy to be a couple inches one way or the other when we load it. Then the whole truck kind of leans one way or the other. It really leans on a corner. We have dual leveling valves, and that really doesn't seem to help.
AG400L suspension. 2014 PacCar 12.7L {any in that era} had injector, Def system DPF failures up the kazoo, along with EGR failures, turbo failures. Local company had several those years.
So just keep buying pre 2000? We aren't putting on 30,000 miles a year I bet. I can get this truck at $16,500k, at 500,000 miles, or a 1999 with a million plus miles at $25-30,000 and 15-20 years older? There's a pretty nice old western star with heavy front, chalmers, heavy rears that I've thought about going and looking at. its 1995 with the old kelowna cab, and 3406b model with a 18 speed. Its $30,000 and I'm not sure that wouldn't be better. But its getting hard to find guys to work on a b model injection pump, cab items are non existent. There's all kinds of evil stories (and I don't doubt that they had problems with the paccars), and it doesn't seem to be limited to one engine. There's guys that talk down the cummins x15, the newer detroits, and the paccar's. The new macks are a volvo, and they're difficult to get the laptop to read. So I'd really like something 10 years old or so, but if they are all junk, I'll find the best 3406e, n 14 or 60 series I can, and live in the dark ages for a while yet. I just need to get something bought and start building. I do appreciate the heads up about the paccar engines though, I've never been around them.
Paccar are as bad or worse than Max-junk. Listen to T.S., even the farmers around here steer clear of Paccar. Find a 2016 or newer Mack with DEF and an M-drive if you want to roll the dice on emissions. That guy wants that Paccar gone before it blows up just sitting there.
2014 was an especially bad year for the MX13. I’d be surprised if that’s not the 2nd or 3rd engine. What a disaster and huge money pit. Wish it had a Cummins. Probably, why it’s priced like that.
1994 western star. Canadian truck heavy spec Facebook www.facebook.com 1993 Mack Facebook www.facebook.com
Newer mack Facebook www.facebook.com
Likely hood of buying a truck with a B model Cat and having issues with injection pump are actually low, especially when compared to anything built from 2005 to 2019. Those thirteen years are chocked full of issues from A to Z on just about any engine built in that time period. There are so many trucks for sale from 2001 down that have had major work done with paper work backing it. With the low mileage being run each year and decent maintenance I can't see a reason to buy a later year truck at this point just to have a later year truck. From 2019 up the issues get less/more reliable but more cost initially. * The farmer I drive harvest for {was a 24 year cat mechanic}, newest he owns is a 1996 oldest 1982, high mileage for him would be 10,000 in a year and makes no sense to run newer trucks. * The only engine out of newer models {I} would consider is a DD15-and those have a share of oddities too.
Facebook www.facebook.com * You should be in truck headed that way.
Its in ohio, and came from canada, so potential rust issues. It looks pretty nice in the pictures, but the wear on the aluminum throttle pedal says more than 100,000 miles. The heavy front and rears with chalmers would be nice for the second load of counterweights for my 120 ton. Its our heaviest set.
Throttle pedal wear is hard to determine when drivers constantly have grit/dirt on their boots when driving trucks like that.
With a winch truck you're on and off the throttle when you're doing winch things. Plus off road driving with lots of shifting. I do also find it hard to believe its barely broken in.
Maybe that's just the mileage since they put the new American speedometer in. The add does say showing. If it's in good shape at all. At least your clear of electronics. this nightmare here spends so much time on a hook you'd think it was a fish. Just got back from another stint at the dealer. Never even got to dump a load and it quit. Good Ole Detroit power
What year? It also reads in Klm's plus it has a hour meter.
I have to go in and plow tonight I'll see if the unit number is on the other side Constant emissions problems. Then someone stole all the emissions stuff off it and gave it a virus, but it still runs fine without it. One way to delete the problem Constant sensor problems. I think the elm was replaced before it died. Then the cat man was curious, so he came in on a weekend and discovered a wiring issue. Here if i buy an American vehicle. The speedometer has to be replaced. Canadian vehicles have the kms on the outside, and the miles on the inside. Plus the odometer is in kms. Maybe it was changed
If we're all talking about the '94 Star the odometer clearly says "Miles" underneath.
Correct, but it's supposed to be a Canadian trucks so it's a possibility that the speedometer was changed.
Or the hour meter--just to drive 100,000 miles @ 60 mph it would take 1,666 hours.
Probably not a lot of highway miles either. That star i ran this week had over 600,000 kms on it. And it was a log hauler. Im still thinking that winch truck is worth a look
The red kw I looked at today: transmission synchronizer drags/ grinds on the range shift. Has all new injector lines on it, still has a fuel problem, so they put a 12v aux lift pump at the fuel tank with a regulator on it. Which may or may not just be masking whatever problem there has been with it running right. Bad fuel leak on drivers side engine. Possibly caused by tractor supply lift pump. Good brakes, Runs good down the road. Engine runs great. Check engine light is stuck on because the emissions equipment has all suffered a tragic boating incident and fallen off and into a pond.
The way that Star is spec'd even 94 it was a small fortune--in todays new pricing $425,000 plus. It's definitely worth looking at, the only thing I wonder about--is it a 4CK 3406.
Also, the aero cab daycab has a lot of room in it for tall drivers But the rest of the dash shows a lot of wear, seems like it's kinda falling apart for no more miles than it has. It looks nice, but doesn't seem very robust.
Vocational trucks are hard right now. New ones have better def and auto shifts, and probably good financing, but every part is expensive, good luck replacing the blinker knob. Trucks are also now disposable. Dd and mp8 are great engine choices with dd probably the best choice. Old ones are still excellent choices but you have to be lucky or put in some money into them from driver abuse. Money is fine but the time typically is not. The middle between is typically the worse choice, bad def systems and/or bad engines and still abused by drivers.
The seller farms and has a seed business. Truck has a locking 5th wheel - well they did have a quarry and sand plant but sold it a year ago. It had been pulling a end dump until they sold the quarry. Which may be why the dash is in tough shape.
Definitely looks like its been changed, I doubt anyone set the replacement odometer to match the old one. Based on the typical mileage/hours most winch trucks see I would not trust that the miles/hours shown are anywhere near accurate.
Just from photos of interior--it's not high mileage. Plus exterior seems pretty good shape. But to even find a pickup for 28K that isn't worn out with 160K miles for that price is tough.
It is a pretty clean looking truck. I've had it saved as one to go look at for a couple months. If it wasn't 13 hours drive away, I would already have gone and looked at it.
Sound like about a hour on a plane, I flew up to Chicago to look at a truck, it was a bust, flew back home. I found another one in Michigan, I rented a car drove up with the pup and the owner of the dealership followed me up to the airport to leave the rental and drove back the truck back home. 13 hours in a F550 was no fun
No - that is never any fun.
Stopped and looked at a different truck on the way home. It was sitting on the side of the road in KC with a for sale sign in the window. 2008 t-800, C-15 acert at 475, 46,000 rears. 14,600 front. Eaton auto shift 18 sp. Double frame (with a little rust jacking-no extra charge). Had a 8 bag but built a little different. Looks like a ag460, except it had two frame brackets, one for each axle, with a single flat bar for each axle. Instead of a single frame bracket in the middle of the axles with both flat bars joining on it. I've never seen a 8 bag built like that. It appears someone has toothpasted permatex on every drive flange of the front cover, instead of resealing it.
You were about 10 minutes from me
Only time I've ever seen the KW suspension setup like that was on a tridrive. One pair of hangers supported two axles and the other pair only supported the remaining axle. Looked kinda odd to only see one axle attached to a hanger designed for two.
C.O.----you don't need a Eaton Autoshift. The suspension is built that way for a spread axle, I've seen two like that, not common. Leaking front cover and probably rear structure isn't far away or there now.
I've seen that suspension setup a couple times. I heard the advantage is when you're pulling hard the front axle is pushing on the pins instead of pulling on the bolts. But we've been running the normal setup on two lowboy tractors, 3 log trucks a half dozen dump trucks in the woods for years without breaking any bolts so that must be BS.
AS C.O. said--AG460, it's Kenworth's version of a 60" spread axle as I posted above in #449. More common in Canada. Section 3 page 21. * https://www.kenworth.com/media/u5zf3s4d/hd-t800-w900-c500-body-builder-manual.pdf
I waved as I drove by. Yeah, I'm not likely buying a autoshift. On the ag460- I figured they would build the spread by just longer bars, but that must not work out with the geometry of the axles. I think to reseal the front cover, you have to pull the whole front timing cover and gears out, and reseal from the backside and reassemble. Either way, they want $40,000 for it, which is really more than I'm going to give for a truck, in that condition. With the work that it needs. I'm too close to trucks from further south with no rust. It would have needed just as much or more work than the red kw I looked at a couple hours before. Which is supposed to be sold today to a guy from chicago.
The trouble with typical 8 bag the front axle is leading, with all other designs both axles are trailing. The longer the torsion support makes it more apt to torque more to one side. So KW built a 60" spread with same housings and welded bag mounts utilizing the original 8 bag design and have both trailing. It actually rides better too.
@ crane operator--here this should make a nice counter weight mover. * Rest of photos under Antique Vintage trucks. *
That's a little out of my size range. We shouldn't need stairways to reach the cab.
Learned something new for the day. I didn't realize that was the difference between 400 and 460. I thought they were the same basic design just different ratings.
Yeah but you’d be making a statement with that truck!
Yeah you got it, it's the kind of vehicle you want to take to the minimart to grab a six pack.
So apparently I've been calling a T8 with a front engine mounted PTO a C5 all these years. Learn something new every day lol.
Exactly! Parking is never an issue
Well- what about this? Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com 2015 freightliner. coronado. dd15, 10 speed. 20k steer and 40k drives. Looks like double frame and double steering boxes. Doesn't look like much rust either. Has the frame length I need also. Not sure what they were doing with it, that it has two PTO's? And where are they stuffing the batteries? Passenger step has exhaust emmissions stuff, drivers side has fuel tank... I haven't made a trip to ohio yet either to look at that old W star, too busy working.
Looks like it may have been a CTMV at one point of its life and the CT was put on a new chassis. Just a guess
I looked up past auctions, 20-60k
Because of mileage--{and sometimes that can be a detriment too when it's low miles}, updates are probably way behind the 8 Ball because of age. Issue # 1, it has power windows, back in those years window motors were a known issue. I probably replaced 40 window regulators in Coronado's, the power switches and wiring was a issue also. Freightliner comes factory with a check engine light on as standard equipment. Having a ABS brake light on is not uncommon and there were several updates in that area. The Davco 482 fuel filter is topped out, could be just a filter change, but if changed and it immediately tops out again the check valves in housing are suspect and sometimes even with those replaced it will still top out. Filters are $80 bucks. Replacing entire unit is the only remedy at $900. It still has the original plastic coolant lines from water pump to air compressor, those are a known problem, updated to steel lines, the pushlock fittings on ends were updated too. That model {I can't see for sure} probably has the coolant filter behind CAC hose on left side, those were to be omitted. Fuel line pass throughs in cylinder head are dry at this point, but those are not far from leaking engine oil more than likely, it's a grommet seal through side of head. Power steering pumps are a common issue, mounted on air compressor at left rear of block at bottom, runout of power at low rpm low speed. Batteries could be under passenger seat. This is one that the Vin needs to run for any factory updates. Personally--I would tippy toe around it.
This is one I have on the watch list as a guy I help needs a new truck, not a fan of the auto shift on this one though. Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com
Our twin steer Western Star has the batteries under the passenger seat as TS says
Free shovel though
Hours are too high.
Take that off the purchase price
Well I should have probably been bidding on that Freightliner, only brought 26,500 , which would have been a pretty good price for double frame and heavy steer axle. Considering age and miles. Of course there's always a reason it's going to auction, so there's always the unknown.
There is a reason it only brought 26,500. As with any brands built from 2006 to 2017 it was a 11 year period fraught with issues, by 2018 things started to settle down.
I'm not real broken hearted over it. There's two mid 90's macks in the $12-15,000 range that I may go look at. Then I could be under $20k after I add axles and flatbed. We have a 2000 ch613 that has been a good truck.
Nothing wrong with a CH model.
Monday--a trip to Twin Falls Id, to pick up the first of 7 new 4 axle and 4 new 3 axle Western Star 49X Power Hood models. Bought in Idaho Falls, better price at $236,000 each for the four axles. Price on three axles, I don't know. Eleven thousand more than what Kenworth priced, but no more KW's. Getting graphics installed in TF. Be a interesting trip to see what if any difference there is.
How are they powered, transmission?
DD15's with DT12 transmissions and Mercedes drive axles.
Mercedes axles? I have heard of the Mercedes engines in Freightliners but not axles. Why were those chosen?
Mercedes/ Daimler still more or less owns Freightliner/western star. They have spun them off into their own company, but daimler still owns the majority of the shares. You could just as well say that the "Detroit" engine and transmission are "Mercedes" also, because that's what they are sold as in Europe and elsewhere.
Daimler outright owns DD
Correct--Detroit Diesel, Freightliner, Western Star=Daimler. * We've been running all Daimler/Mercedes drive trains for 10 years. Truthfully, Rockwell/Meritor or Eaton doesn't hold a candle to the reliability of Mercedes drive axles. We use to average a loss rate of 10 minimum of Eaton 404's and 6 minimum of Rockwell 20-145's a year depending on milage/age/driver and what was spec'd with each group bought. In the last ten years running Mercedes drive axles, I think we've lost five total out of 90 tractors. Normally it's a upper bearing failure in front drive, and everyone of those was covered under warranty. With warranties ranging from 550,000 to 700,000, some have 750,000 warranties covering engine, AMT transmission and drive axles, plus other various parts & pieces. * With trucking the way it is today, and all overhead built into operating, a company has to use the warranty safety net as much as possible. Plus with the fact there is roughly 850 Freightliner dealers nation wide plus the Penske PTG -Premier Truck Group having service repair centers that can deal with much of the warranty issues, operating other brands is not in the cards. We have three dealers plus PTG that when a tractor comes in they automatically check it's personal history, and perform all updates. I've seen work orders ten pages thick with updates performed all under warranty--and at the bottom of last page a total amount charged--ZERO's. * I'm not saying they are the best, but in this business Freightliner has far out performed the competition for this company.
Freightliner has figured out who butters their bread, and it's not the same man that buys one truck, maybe two to support a livelihood and a man or two. * You don't see owner ops buying Freightliner, and never will, unless there's no one left, which seems to be the goal.
That's not entirely true, there are many OO's that own/lease Freightliners. And hence Western Star, it's geared towards OO's especially, with all the options available for vocational trucks. Freightliner isn't geared to old styling that's true, but like anything concerning costs of operating, shippers- receivers don't care about chrome, they just want it on/off their dock on time. * Hence this KW--it's way behind it's projected revenue mark, it makes the least amount of revenue of the 65 in the fleet. And I doubt any dock shipper or receiver has walked out to sing praise, no he just wants to see tail lights as his load leaves the dock. There will be no more of these in the company. *
I like seeing trucks like this, and I've often thought I may get more enjoyment from them then the owners/drivers do. I don't have to pay for and maintain all the chrome and lights and it's not the end of the world if I drive through a puddle. When I owned my own trucks they were mostly stock. Anything I added or changed was either to reduce weight, increase efficiency, or reduce maintenance costs. If it didn't pencil out it didn't go on the truck. $20-$30k in chrome and lights comes directly out of profit and does nothing to increase revenue.
Agree. We have all of our crushed stone delivered by the quarry. Depending on the quarry they may use their own trucks or hire it all out - Vulcan. Personally all I want is my rock delivered on time at the price we agreed on. Could care less what the truck looks like. Pretty trucks are nice to look at but at the end of the day we all have a business to run. Not willing to pay an extra $1 a ton for the shiny purple Peterbilt with all the chicken lights.
The boss and I had this conversation way back after he purchased the company in 09. He let his guard down and started letting drivers have some say in what they drove bought by the company. I told him then a fleet needs to be standardized, all drivers get the same. Now after a learning curve--no more, if they don't like the trucks looks {and that is the primary reasons given} they either drive what the company runs or find other employment.
I can see being a long haul o/o that lives in the truck wanting a nice truck with all the chrome, but it don't make no more money.
After having driven them all, at least the dashes and doors don't fall apart on a Pete or KW, and until about '09, they weren't complete junk on an IH either.
I actually hate it when the pit sends out the fancy trucks; they are all Prima Dona's that are afraid of every tree branch and mud puddle. Send me the old guy with the Mack, please . . .
Anything built after the Freightliner Classic Cabs which started back in 70's and ended in 2010, door issues became a non issue. But for the fact I've been around/in the business for 51 plus, PacCar had it's issues with doors also. The Classics had dash issues, the 8664 COE's didn't. Pete after late 1987 turned into a plastic cracking mess. KW only lasted dash wise because they kept it flat all the way across until 2000. KW was into put cruise, jake controls on steering wheel in the 90's--that didn't work out to well, Freightliner perfected it. Most all grievance about Freightliner cabs is lodged in memory of pre-2011 classic cabs. It just ain't the same truck it was back then. But there is alot more to it than just cabs. Those flat nosed trucks just don't get the extra half mile to gal.
For long haul, nothing rides like a 379 Peterbilt. Seat on the floor, little finger on the wheel and go. Even without all the chrome. I've always been on the peter car side of the paccar created rivalry. If you have to live in the thing you might as well be comfortable.
Well I have to burst that PacCar bubble, there are many trucks that ride as good if not better than a long hood on the market today, including Volvo. Quieter, and just as smooth with better ergonomics. But unless someone has done it day in and day out dealing with the constant updates being implemented, it's hard to grasp. Driving a Freightliner Cascadia is just as smooth in many cases or even smoother than a Ford King Ranch. Not much different than driving a full size pickup. * And I can relate to the old days, real well. *
I think the high level of comfort and ease of driving is why we have the quality, or lack of, driver's we have now. It's so cushy and easy anyone can do it, so they do and don't really care about being a good driver. When trucks were less comfortable and harder riding, shifting and steering and less power which made for more work shifting, the folks who did it were willing to put up with that because they liked trucks and wanted to drive them which made for better drivers. At least that's my observation.
I agree to some degree, but can you imagine if all dozers were still cable dozers and lets not mention laser and GPS with joy stick controls on most everything, remove the single stick boxes and only sticks with no P/S or A/C. Nobody wants to truly go back to the good old days.
No, I don't want to go back that far, but the 80s or 90s would be fine. Enough comfort and power for me. Plus trucks didn't look like an overinflated truck-shaped balloon.
If volvo is as nice as their cars or equipment, probably true. I have been a passenger in a cascadia and was not overly impressed with the ride. All that aerodynamic crap would be ok for strict highway application but there are a lot of mill yards that require a bit of clearance. Maybe I am romanticizing about the old days, and I really have not driven a 379 since the 90s. But even that pretend peterbilt we have hauling dump trailer handles like a peterbilt. I crawled out of that western star exhausted everyday. I could hardly eat a sandwich unless I was stopped. The constant side to side rocking is tiresome. Peterbilt never sways, no front end slap. Now im talking less than optimal roads. My 359 and 379 experience was highway but the pretend pete seems to handle that as well
I think many believe I haven't run vocational--far from the fact. I quite understand both avenues. But several things fly up--I use to think along the same lines, or I wouldn't have owned a 1966 Pete. Still it was just another truck looking back, and only difference between it and a long hood was 10" in hood length and a different spring pack/rating on steer axle, other wise same. * Fact is people hate change--what they remember and what actually was is two different things. The ride effect is controlled mostly by wheel base/suspension and just how good the drivers seat is. Cascadia or any other is not vocationally designed, zero need in air dams on a construction site. And the reverse is true on OTR, texas bumpers don't create less drag, it increases it along with float type steer tires. It's apples and oranges, I personally never expect a smooth ride from a vocational, and I don't eat and drive or use a cell while driving either, those are against the law. * As far as looking like a balloon--I prefer the term looking like a egg. I came to the realization it's about the paycheck rather than esthetics of looks. Can't spend looks. Company has drivers that won't drive a egg, well when the truck they are driving is done they will have to find another job. And it probably won't be as good as the one they have now or consider going out on their own as OO's and embrace all the expense and headaches that go with it. Never really cared for the original owner of the company, but he had a good reminder for drivers when they used {MY} in conversation. { I don't see your name on the door, no I'm pretty sure it says my name}. * Anywho--it's just a short time and I can leave to pickup that new Star, might be a good truck & might not.
Over the road trucks are not always on the road. Maybe van trailers. Most of the lumber at the hardware store comes from mills with less than ideal yards. Not all delivery sites are ideal either And yes you work for someone you run what they give you or you leave Brookville transport ran single bunk freightliners super 10 speed transmissions steel buds no chrome. But if a guy wants to part with money to buy a classic looking truck. Even a lot of these log haulers polish their trailer wheels. Me I personally like the feel of driving the Pete. It's a scientific fact that shiny trucks work better. Chrome plus polished aluminum times armour all equals horse power
I can agree that clean, well maintained, and cared for trucks work better. As an owner op I drove alongside other owner ops with the philosophy quoted above. They had the chrome and high horsepower and were members of the "left lane club". They couldn't drive when it was slick, wouldn't go to shippers/receivers with tight docks or yards and were generally prima donnas. Their trucks weighed 1500-2500 lbs more then mine. They polished chrome, added lights, and painted the letters on their tires. I washed the truck and performed meticulous maintenance. My last truck was a 2005 T600, the much derided "anteater". It had a single stack behind the sleeper and very little chrome but it was always clean and everything worked. I didn't spend all day in the left lane and very little time in the shop. (There's a correlation there I think...) I consistently got 2+ mpg better fuel economy and double the tire life. I didn't have to run 2 logbooks to make a profit and spent more time at home with my family. I had no speeding tickets and never failed a roadside inspection. The clutch was replaced at 915k miles due to broken springs causing it to lock up. The shop said it otherwise would've been good for another 500k miles. I sold the truck to another owner op at 999k miles and went back to moving dirt. Other than replacing a water pump at 750k miles, the engine was original and oil and coolant samples were showing no cause for concern. The transmission was original, the rears were original and all oil samples were good. That truck wasn't "old skool cool" but made me a very good living.
I've got a 1992 Pete short hood 379 and a 1998 western star and the western star is a better truck in the interior. The pete is much easier to find parts for. I think my Pete has had a harder life and a little work would tighten it up. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the new western stars. Our one newer mack (2011 titan) is like a car. No rattling doors or cross breezes in it.
Oh I know shiny doesn't make more money but it makes me feel better than everyone else. Not really but if you can afford it, why not
Total trip just under 800 miles round trip, I drove unladen 400 miles in 6 hours 40 minutes. I could have sat in the seat another 250. Nice truck, I will say more tomorrow. Two photos taken at La Grande/Ladd rest area. *
Have driven through La Grande a fair bit (back in my geologist days). Also Twins falls, really nice country! Like that bridge in twin falls. Sounds like a comfortable ride…
Alot of found memories from back in my cattle haulin days. Ran alot of miles with that needle on the speedometer pegged. No such thing as taking a nap. Start getting a little sleepy.... Pull a 'toothpick' out of the visor. Chew on that for a little bit and you were good to go the rest of the night!!! My last truck was an '02 379 C15 18 spd with 308 rear ends 280 inch wb. If it wasnt the first one to the top of the hill it wasnt too far behind. 1500-2500 lbs heavier didn't really matter. Almost always heavy so rarely crossed the scales loaded. When the weather would get bad and they would close the interstate we would get off and run the 2 lane roads. No such thing as pulling into a truckstop and waiting for the interstate to open back up with a load of critters on!!! Man I had alot of fun back then!!! Just sayin' not all of the 'left lane guys' were prima donnas......
I don't know most everyone passed me, then two hundred miles later same would pass me again. Enough of chrome/polish and highway hijinks. * Interior is much like a Cascadia, except better instrumentation, gauges are laid out better. Seats are much more comfortable, very quiet little road noise. Vision and mirrors also good. Plenty of room between seat and dash. These are easier to access engine with that type of hood bumper. All cab controls are same as Cascadia. Twin stacks with small diameter pipe which I like personally, tired of those stupid cow hauler pipes, another reason I like them is those will bug everyone else. * As far as ride, driving unladen isn't a very good test, but it rode decent for no weight. If I was a driver, would I take it over a PacCar, absolutely, for it's wheel base it has a very tight turning radius. Overall a fairly nice tractor for these days. Probably have several more to ferry back to yard in coming weeks.
Keeping a truck clean is part of maintenance. Excessive grease/oil on frame is a violation if DOT wants to write it. Trinkets are just that, trinkets.
Had a tow today down the gorge on I-84, I counted 11 new Western Star piggybacks. Some were one on piggy and some two's. That's the most I've ever seen on a trip towards Portland. Stars are Built in Portland Ore. Tow was 364 total miles, finish it tomorrow.
111.
Odd no one asked what was in front of drive tires, "Auto chains". He was going to drop them but decided to keep installing. The one other item he did drop is {Buck Stop} bumper/ guard. Wasn't cost effective, and it caused drivers to skip opening hood to check fluids. *
Do auto chains meet the requirements for chaining up?
I wouldn't think so. I think they are for intermittent use and not for extended use on roads that require chains by law.
If chain-up/traction devises required signs are lite up, slow to 25mph flip cover up covering Onspot toggle switch to -on. But it requires installing drag chains {two singles to trailer axles} Auto chains are DOT legal.
Should have just run weed burners . . .
Too much crap underneath.
I hate it when they put the exhaust behind the bunk. Looks better on the side
Cabs are so friggin wide, you'd only be able to fit 2" pipe.
Needs one pipe, one pipe only--Red October.
A lot of trucks out there with the fake second stack. Gross
I like symmetry but I don't see the point in a fake stack. Looks extra stupid in winter when only one stack has white clouds pouring out of it.
What bothers me with the 49x exhaust, is how they crunch the pipe to get it to fit under the cab.
That Peterbilt i was running had a fake stack. But it still had a y pipe that was capped. Mind blown
One stack mounted on left side with a Farr filter housing on right, one air horn three cab lights, steel wheels.
Torch cut and welded stack tip, maybe an elbow 90 degrees
I'd either fabricate something to connect it or rip it right off the truck, just wasted tare weight at that point anyways.
All it needs is some flex pipe
What's the best idea for pruning these excessive pipes, I'm thinking a gas powered cutoff saw. *
Low over pass. Not a big fan of fat pipes. If they do have them, I prefer a 45 cut to a curl. I had a friend get a bat burn on an un shielded straight pipe. Got out of the passenger door and touched it with his forearm
Contractors special.
It's going on the chopping block in the not to distant future.
I've seen some of the milling crews with 4 door international 3 tons . With a fiberglass box with pretty much everything they would need
Cutoff saw will leave little chips that turn to rust spots if you don't get them off ASAP. Guessing you knew that, but some might not. Joe H
Please tell me this is real. I don't want it to be an AI generated image.
It's real. Nice truck don't you think, take the family along.
As long as it doesn't effect flow--it's A ok.
Those would be fighten' words here!!!!!!
You would be fighten yourself, would walk off, it's just trinkets non edible can't cookem or eat'um.
Those are popular here as well with paving and curb crews. Paving crews have a flat bed with fuel and water tanks.
Our paving crew's service truck is also their float truck. Similar to the 3 axle tag that moves my little grader. Just a regular cab and a tandem truck
Having crew cabs with any sort of flatwork crew is not a bad idea. Having a full crew that all have drivers license, and legal road vehicles is not a guaranteed event.
Our sand trucks are all one tons. They had a 3 ton but there wasn't always someone around with a license to drive it.
No doubt. I know some that pick up and drop off like a city bus.
Why cut them down? Thats the low overpass warning!
Well if he decides to or finds a driver, we run to Denver--Colorado is 13' on stack height, which all depends on if they want to write it up which they don't normally. These are 13'6", all of ours are 13', we had one #450 that was 13'8" that got ticketed, ran it there for two years until it was flagged. But I was more or less just kidding about pruning, I like the term pruning, I used it around the drivers many times, it would cause a nice cringe.
Sawzall would work fine, a gas saw is just overkill . . .
I read a story on Reddit about a guy that drove a bus to work so he gave rides to his co workers, then got his fuel for free or something. So manglement didn't like him getting fuel for free and ended it. He drove to work the next day with his motorcycle and promptly got his free fuel back the day after.
Well--going for Friday 13th with hocky mask, and extra two stroke oil for smoke effect.
All this exhaust system pruning talk was bad ju-ju. Doing my yard walk-through today and this guy crunched the custom 49x heat shield. Shame on the mess. This is why we can’t have nice things.
Just prune it back, put a sign on it with drivers name who did it.
Did the hooker catch her handbag on it? She must have been pretty good size to bend that stainless that good.
Hello Darlin.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun buy the men who moil for gold. The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold. The northern lights have seen queer sights but queerest they ever did see. Was the night on the Marge of lake labarge I cremated Sam McGee
Are your chain hangers within legal width limits?
Within inside distance of bottom step.
Maybe,.. Plus or minus a couple inches. Andrey’s tape measure might be off a little.
Still shopping. I've bid on a couple auction trucks, and been too cheap. Just had this pop up, its in dallas, so no rust, about the right wheelbase, and already has a flatbed on. Mount some extra axles and I could be good to go. I'm not so keen on the color, but at under $20,000, I can live with a little ugly. From the ad: Western star 2015 Flatbed truck 26 ft Motor DD13 detroit Transmission allison Heavy haul truck Ready for work Low miles 340,000 Liftgate works Facebook www.facebook.com
Nice looking, nice seats too. Joe H
Why is the stack angled forward so far? Is that intentional or did someone back under some low branches with it?
Under $20K? That's a deal. If you don't buy it I might.
Someone on here was looking at buying a lift gate
I was going to guess cab suspension is down, but the hood looks tight
Thats a sharp lookin rig CO.
Just a pre-bent stack.
Looks to me like they shoved it around to clear the rack on the flat bed.
I'm going to try to go look at it, I'll get the specs on it. I'm sure it has something wrong with it, but I won't know what until I look at it. It looks like the bed isn't mounted the best, but I doubt that's the real problem. You probably would be better off with camelback or haulmaxx for a roll off truck, this is air ride which doesn't work great for roll off. There's a language barrier going on also with the seller.But I'll let you know about it.
No doubt on the suspension however at that price it's worth buying to re-sell. I'm sure there is some gremlin lurking in that truck for that price.
Take some photos of the engine {closeups}.
If i was going to look at a truck I would take my scanner.
If it doesn't have a check engine light on, that will be a surprise.
I'm betting it has had some kind of pirate weight loss program to the emissions system, and it looks like a christmas tree on the dash. At $20,000, they aren't super cheap, but they are probably where problem trucks are priced. I can find just as many 5-10 year old trucks between $25-35,000 , as I can find late 80's to early 2000's trucks, in the same price range. Its hard to want to give the same money for million to million and a half mile 1996 trucks, as I can give for 300,000 mile trucks that are 8 years old.
Just remember--deleted systems in many cases are trouble, most shops won't touch.
Pass. Not on FB so couldn't see the other pictures.
Buying a truck that's been deleted opens up a whole can of worms, especially if not buying local. You don't know who did the delete, and how half ased they did it. And as @Truck Shop says, can't take it to the dealer to get it sorted out.
Going to look at this today. 2020 western star, 260,000, dd13, 10 speed manual, air ride. 18k steer. 40k rears with a lift axle. 28' steel flatbed, I'll take the conestega off. $35,000. It's about 4' longer than what I really want, but making shorter is easier than making longer. It's about $5,000 more than I really want to spend, but it's pretty new and has most of my want list.
Talked to the w Star dealer, no warranty claim after 2020. FROF16210C. Dd13, 450hp, 1650tq. 3.42 rears. We usually run 4.11 or more, but the 10 speed may be pretty slow in 1 and R. Looks like 13.75 in R and 12.69 in (1)
10C has the about the same ratio in 1st as a 13spd in low, with a high final gear.
This one is only a hour and a half away, which certainly makes it nice to go look at, vs one in dallas .
Brought it back yesterday afternoon. It almost smells like a new truck. Had steel racks bolted to the deck for hauling marble slabs. Going to have to build a headache rack, and add a lift axle behind the drives to get a little more bridge length. Evidently the conestega front wall counts as a cab protection - who knew? I sure wouldn't want to risk the marble slabs being in the cab with me. Turns shorter than I thought it would, considering the wheelbase. Quiet in the cab, interested to see how it does with a load on.
Congrats! Hope she serves you well. Around here Star's are the choice for new vocational trucks. Tandems, tri's, mixers, lowboys, etc.
Especially in the Pacific Northwest where those are hatched. More and more seen on the interstate. Can't beat Freightliner turning radius.
May have to go with some 425/385's up front if the mud causes problems with the 315's. Just as long as I get enough offset to not lose turning radius. Couple of eww's - q tips and dental floss pick in the door side pocket. Bonus - paper tablet with a number for "Becky". Found this in the floor compartment- gps tracker for fleet? Going to have to find tow hook inserts for the front frame horns, are w star the same as Freightliner? Looks like round that pushes in and turns to lock.
These are the standard for Western Star/Freightliner. To bad your not closer in this case, because we run crash bars mounted in tow hook receptacle we have scads laying in a pile. *
They only leave you with one winch, or are they in the box? That tooth pick could be useful if you get in a bind. Ask Becky if you can keep it
That looks like what we need. I was hoping they would be in one of the toolboxes, or on a frame rail holder, but no luck.
Got a couple winches, but we pretty much chain every thing down. I haven't tried Becky.
Is this the same Becky?
I had trouble finding tow hooks for our IHI 9200. Had to fabricate some myself. Used large ‘d’ rings welded to heavy plate and square stock. Seems Our local (now sadly gone) heavy truck wrecking yard had sold all..
I think I have one or two for a 90's 9200
Nice! Ours is a 1999.
If only @Coaldust would have warned me -she's everywhere. That's the problem with Fat Becky. Just when you think she's the solution for all your problems, she becomes the reason for all your problems.
It seems 385’s on our old international dump with dual steering boxes do allow a better ‘float’ over soft ground. Although (on this truck with walking beams) the steering radius does seem quite bad…) Western star was built originally near us here in Kelowna. Looks like a good solid rig! Good luck with it!
First Stars. *
Had a tour of factory in grade 9 (?) really enjoyed.
Liked the Cat engines in particular! Setting on factory floor.
Minus jakes, back then jakes were installed just ahead of engine installation, jakes were a option. Jakes come as standard equipment now.
I was wondering if that was my Becky. She gets around.
This is why we can’t have nice things. Now, I have to go to the pawn shops and purchase my moose lamps back. Darn hooligans.
Well the positive side, it's not all negative, they left some wire. Believe it or not crime is still capitalistic behavior, what's yours is mine and mine is mine.
They must be left handed and blind in one eye. They only took the right side lights. Maybe the left side is for tomorrow.