Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cross Locks or LSD

Pony ยท 2020-10-24 03:05

Hi all, Still looking for my new truck, will be bogie drive rigid truck, not prime mover. All trucks I'm looking at have a manually activated inter-axle locker, and all except one also have manually activated cross-axle locks as well. One only has a LSD on both axles. While I would prefer the manual cross-locks is the LSD really going to be an issue? Main truck use will be with a cattle crate so will see regular dirt roads and occasional slippery grass/mud. But having said that I'm currently doing the job with a single drive truck with no cross lock and have never had an issue. Am I thinking to much into this? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1_Weldman_2020-10-25 13:17

    Nope shouldn't have problem with LSD axles. I live down 80 kilometers of rock dirt road to get to town and have no problems on my AWD system. It doesn't engage the LSD that easily.

  2. #2ManujiLanee2021-05-17 06:31

    I also would prefer the manual cross-locks. Indeed, the simpler the closing system, the more reliable it is and easy to operate. You can see some reviews about the top 5 best locks and select the variant that suits you more. Anyways, the main thing is to order a durable, qualitative model that will close reliably. I consider that stainless steel ones are the best because they withstand temperature changes, do not rust, and look good even after many years of use. We have been using these locks for 5 years, and they are in excellent condition.