Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crushed Concrete fill

KellyWagner ยท 2014-10-19 21:59

I have a rural acreage with a big hole I want to fill for lawn. From time to time I see ads for guys looking to get rid of concrete with rebar in it which in my neck of the woods can be a problem. Seems they will pay a good buck per tandem to dump it. Are there any catches to this? I would cover it with some soil 9n my property.

Replies10
  1. #1stumpjumper832014-10-19 22:11

    Big hole... define that. And yes there is such a thing an inert landfill. Or a place that one can pay to dump concrete, stumps, mud, etc... problem is what happens when they guy dumps a load of shingles rather than a load of leftover blacktop?

  2. #2mclean2014-10-19 22:14

    Catch is if the doe catches up with you you're going to be paying for the export and the dump fees to one of their sites..

  3. #3lumberjack2014-10-19 22:18

    What's the groundwater situation?

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2014-10-19 23:52

    I don't know what the rules are there, but around here, sites accepting fill like that need to be permitted as an inert debris landfill. It is a lot less than permitting a full blown trash landfill, but still a regulatory challenge.

  5. #5KellyWagner2014-10-20 00:38

    No wells we are rural but muni water. Im not operating as a commercial fill site I have a depression thats around 2 yards at the deepest point 100x100 feet. If its going to wreck ground water or something I will just wait for rock or clay which comes up. I dont know much about it which is why I am asking here. I guess its a matter of the rusty rebar leeching which could be a problem as my site is sugar sand..

  6. #6lumberjack2014-10-20 04:17

    Crushed concrete can allegedly break down with constant exposure moisture.... But if it still has rebar in it, it must be big pieces. I wouldn't have a problem with doing it on my land, I would strip any topsoil first and perhaps even out the depression some so the fill is a relatively constant depth and thickness.

  7. #7Randy882014-10-20 06:04

    I have no idea what's legal in your area, but in mine it is legal to dump it and bury it, but if it were my property, I'd never bury it, ever, seems every time someone buries something, sooner or later it has to be dug back up and removed for one reason or another, someone decides to build on it, landscape that area or install water lines or something there eventually. If you have access to dirt, black or clay, I'd wait it out and use that, as for being paid to dump the stuff, in the long run I've never seen anyone who comes out on that, sooner or later if it has to come out, it costs many times over what you got paid to take it in the first place. When someone wants to pay you to take it, to me that's a clue to not take it, they're paying you less than anywhere else it costs to dump it, they're getting a good deal, not you is what it means to me. Do as you wish though.

  8. #8clintm2014-10-20 06:53

    6' is not deep enough to fill with anything other than dirt

  9. #9stumpjumper832014-10-20 07:07

    Yeah what he said, in fact your best off using ditch cleanings which around here is anti skid and topsoil with the occasional bottle mixed in.

  10. #10CM19952014-10-20 08:53

    I moved this thread from excavators to General Industry Questions as it fits better here. My States DEP forbids burying concrete with rebar protruding, meaning the rebar has to be cut from the pieces flush with the concrete before it can be buried. If it's just concrete or concrete with trimmed rebar then you can do whatever with it. As far as using it for fill, depends on what you want to do with that area of your property. I would use it on my own property. I would check your local environmental rules on what can be buried, should be able to find it online.