Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crushing Gravel – 2″ to 3/8 pea needs angler shape not round

fiat41b · 2019-01-07 21:16

OK I NEED TO KNOW WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT CRUSHING THE GRAVEL AT A OLD SAND AND GRAVEL PIT. If I can get it to break into angler shapes and not be all round the county high way depts. will buy it they don't like the round stones as they roll to much on their roads is what I was told this would be a great deal for me if I can get it to work Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1Jonas3022019-01-07 21:57

    Hire it crushed sit back and enjoy your royalty

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-01-07 22:03

    So all your feed material is 2" minus? Are you looking for portable, tracked, stationary, electric , diesel? What are your limitations? Being an old sand/gravel pit, is it safe to assume you have existing 480v 3 ph and conveyor systems ? I got a guy 35-40 miles north of you, put you in the right machine for what you're after. I am not sure of breaking rules regarding hawking my own junk. I don't want to cross a line. If you PM me, I can put you in touch. All that aside, I would think a small cone crusher would be the hot set up. That's depending on you having a steady flow of material with a surge feeder . Cones aren't fond of starving for material. There are integrated portable plants available with a surge bin/feeder into crusher, out to screen deck and recirculate the overs back to the feeder. Pricey but they exist. An other option, less efficient for what you're going for would be a HSI or impactor. Harder to hit your target size on first run through. There would be a lot of re-handling. Not the best but more forgiving and versatile for other products such as RAP. Finally there is the VSI , another impactor on a vertical shaft. You can fine tune it to produce dust from 4" and anything in between. They require some test and tune time to hit your target, once set let it eat, keep it fed, make rock. I left out the jaw , close side setting doesn't really lend itself to producing 3/8 consistently. You could choke it down that tight, but I believe the accelerated wear of the jaw dies isn't worth it. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

  3. #3fiat41b2019-01-07 22:06

    Does this sound like a cone crusher or impact crusher I was told gravel will wear a crusher out faster than lime stone so I could end up being costly

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-01-07 22:09

    It's not high silica quartz or granite, right? What are calling gravel? River rock? 2" sized limestone ? What are you actually working with?

  5. #5fiat41b2019-01-07 22:10

    Ok I will pm you

  6. #6fiat41b2019-01-07 22:22

    yea just regular sand and gravel this pits consist of a dirt called red dog gravelish red sandy clay dirt for over burden then pit run sand/gravel 4" to pea size and large formations of conglomerate not silica sand

  7. #7funwithfuel2019-01-07 23:08

    Cool, no high compressive strength rock, wear will be a concern, not like granite though

  8. #8Shimmy12019-01-07 23:27

    We have had crushers a few times over the years, a couple guys ran cones, a couple guys ran impacts, and the last guy ran a roll crusher. Around here, cones produce angular (almost arrowhead-like) shaped aggregate, impacts produce cubical, and the roll is kind of a combination. With the roll, the larger pieces are angular, and the smaller the fragments, the more cubical. One thing the crusher boys with the impacts did figure out in quick order, was they needed a screen plant with enough capacity to keep the crusher stuffed or wear was almost uncontrollable. The first guy with an impact completely wiped out his rotor and chamber after 15,000 yds.

  9. #9fiat41b2019-01-09 00:21

    Ok, I have to ask about an Allis Chalmers cone I found one I think its a 322 has a 22" head affordable price 18,000 or trades are welcome. It comes mounted on a stand with hydraulic tank - kit and a good running electric motor there is 3 phase power 480. at the pit. I was thinking while screening I could discharge the overs (gravel) into the cone. This is a smaller size cone the guy told me that he did not know if it would crush smaller size gravel the gravel at this pit is mostly 1.5" -2" to pea gravel size and some 4" actually who knows until you uncover or extract it to me it looks like lots of sand and gravel can it be adjusted to crush the smallest gravel He also has a 33" telsmith cone that he said would do better but it cost twice as much $40,000 and I don't know if it has the hydraulic tank -kit or motor he said it was good for crushing fines any imput on a allis chalmers 22" cone would be nice Thanks

  10. #10fiat41b2019-01-09 02:31

    some pics this my digger 3.5 cubic yard 60 ft and here is the 22" cone a/c that im thinking about

  11. #11fiat41b2019-01-09 02:35

    a bit of info I found on a allis chalmers 3-22 reduction crusher

  12. #12ol'stonebreaker2019-01-09 10:43

    I think you need to take a representative sample of the material to be crushed, take it to a testing lab to find what percentages are passing 3/8", how much is retained on a 3/8" sieve and on down to to #200 before deciding what to buy to crush it down. I just read 3/8" mentioned but what do you want for the top size? You mentioned some clay. Is this in the overburden or mixed with the gravel. If in the overburden I recommend stripping it off. If in the gravel you might want a screen plant with the ability to separate the clay provided the clay is fine and dry. If it's wet/damp it can be a major headache to get rid of. A little clay is OK in crushed rock but too much and it will work it's way to the top when wet and when it dries will create lots of dust. I'm just speaking from 32 years of crushing all different kinds of rock. You mentioned 4" down to pea size. Another reason for a sieve analysis to see if you need a jaw to crush down the 4" and to find how much pea gravel there is. If too much you may have to scalp off some of it along with the clay and manufacture the angular fines in order for the county to accept your product. They've already said they don't like marbles in the product. HTH, Mike

  13. #13Esfoder2019-04-01 21:37

    I doubt if you’ll make spec crushing nothing but 2”-3/8 rock. One cone is not going to make enough bottom end. Here in Oregon it’s 3/4”- 1”- 1.5”- or 2.5”-. If you crush that size rock to say 3/4 or 5/8- it’s gonna be boney ass hell. I make 1” to #4 out of 1.5” round here and it works really good in concrete and I’m using a Metso HP-200. It was $175,000 in 2000 when I bought it. My hp won’t make 3/4- all by it self. I use a Metso C-106 jaw 4.25 std symons cone and the hp-200 with a 5x14 and a 6x20 3 deck screen and start with 25” rock. Just my opinion.

  14. #14Esfoder2019-04-01 21:50

    Also I hate to say it but the production on that AC cone is SLOW. I mean one straight dump truck load an hour. That’s like a year and a half of 8 hour days to make 10,000 ton.