Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Csae 580 SL transmission

rickw ยท 2013-04-04 07:16

I have a 580 SL 4wd with the carraro transmission. We just bought the machine and started going thru it. I wanted to drain Trans and replace trans screw on filter. I can see the filter from underneath but it is at top of trans and not very accesible from what I can see. Has anybody changed this filter and is there better access to it than from underneath? Machine has 2300hrs. and it is a 2000 model.

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2013-04-04 07:49

    With the loader frame raised & safely locked in position, the filter can be accessed from RHS of the engine, behind the rubber sheeting. It's not easy, but better than doing it from underneath for sure

  2. #2rickw2013-04-04 18:51

    Thanks for the advice alrman. I will look a little closer. I saw filter from underneath and I ncould not even get my hand to touch it!! By the time I got to look at it I had been under and on top of the machine all day and was beat. It looks like the original filter, white filter w/ black case writing.

  3. #3Geardoc2013-04-05 00:17

    If memory serves, ALRMAN's method is the only practical way to do that, I think on the 580SL's Carraro transmission, the drain plug is on your right hand side near the bottom of the transmission. I've seen steps mounted over the drain, where you have to remove them to get to a torx recessed bolt.