Other day it died on me. Sounded just like an engine running out of fuel. Not a whole lot of experience on diesels. Went thru troubleshooting in my manuals, no help. While checking the things that I do know a little about I discovered that I cannot suck diesel thru the hose on the inlet side of the water/fuel separator filter. That doesn't seem right. Anyhow, I'm stuck at this point in trying to isolate the problem. My question is, should I be able to apply suction to the supply hose with engine not running and get fuel? The primer pump is working because I can hold the tip of my finger on the inlet and feel section as i push down on the plunger. Any help would surely be appreciated.
I have found trash in the pickup tube coming out of the fuel tank .With plastic drillings from manufacturing and plastic wrap from a fuel filter in the tank .If the tank is full to the top drain it down below the sending unit the remove the pickup tube .Spray lube the rubber grommet so you don't tear it. Also there should be a inline fuel filter right be the fuel tank gauge sending unit .
Thanks tool king, I will pull it in this evening and check it. Also, first thing I did was change inline and main filter when it first shut down.
Well, I pulled pickup tube from tank and it is not obstructed. I was wondering if it could be the fuel solenoid. I cannot find a fuel flow diagram for this machine. but I suspect that it is located on the front of the engine above the water pump and just under the oil fill tube. Can anybody out there tell me for sure? I tested the red wire with a 12V jumper wire and it didn't make a clunk or a click. The machine is a 2006 ct 332 john deere, 5 cyl engine. This engine seems to have a mechanical fuel pump, and I'm not sure if that if the solenoid fails if that would cause me to not be able to apply suction to the inlet hose and not draw fuel. Thanks for any replies to this problem.
That engine is a bear to diagnose seeing everything fuel related is under the valve cover.. Just pull the hose off the lift pump and see if its pumping.. they are junk anyway.. You can pull it off and take it apart.. the piston will run dry and seize in the housing.. You don't have to take it apart to check a seized piston.. just push on the rod..and see if it returns.. you can pull the sh/off solenoid out to diagnose that its working.. Be sure & pull the fuel cap off when doing the checks to eliminate a faulty cap.. Good luck..
Thanks for the response thepumpguysc. Ok I was considering pulling the pump, very little room to get to it, but I believe I can get it. But I was also wondering if the fuel solenoid was to fail, that it would prevent fuel from being able to be drawn from the tank by manually applying suction to the hose going into the inlet side of the main water/fuel separator filter. In other words, is the solenoid up stream of the water/fuel separator filter? I feel that if I cannot get the solenoid to ''click'' when I apply 12v to it, that it might be the cause of no fuel to the water/fuel separator filter. Also, I could be confusing myself, because the solenoid I checked is the one that is on the front of the engine just above and to the left of the water pump. I'm just not sure if that is the correct solenoid or not. Was told that should be the location by an unreliable source. Anyway that solenoid doesn't make noise when I apply 12 volts. BTW I have the service and parts manuals I received from tool_king last year, but they don't give it's location, or fuel flow diagram. Trying to buy repair manual at this time. Thanks.