Ok, another question this time regarding the engine oil dipstick in my ct322. When I got this unit this spring, the oil level showed over full by what looked like about 2 qts. I thought maybe it was over filled and drained it down to the full line. When i recently did an oil change, i put 9.5 qts in it like the capacity specs say (changed filter also) and it is right back to looking like it's about 2 qts over. My question is, I see by the parts breakdown that there are 2 dipsticks depending on engine s/n. According to my engine s/n I should have the later dipstick in that engine. However, it is a replacement engine so I wonder if the original dipstick was put in the new engine and I now have the wrong dipstick. Does anybody know how to tell the difference between the 2 dipsticks, especially maybe if there is a length difference for some reason that is throwing off my oil level reading?? I don't know how to tell what dipstick I have. The one I have is twisted cable with the dipstick itself on about the last 2 inches only.
Hmmm.. That's entirely possible.. I would call local JD & ask if the lengths are listed in THEIR info.. OR if they have the "other" dstick in stock & if the would be so kind as to measure it for ya..
Haha, my local JD dealer couldn't find and didn't think my skiddy had the check valve in the fuel return that I just replaced. I had to find the p/n for it myself lol. Was hoping maybe someone else had experienced this also. But I may have to write the p/n's down one of these days and go see if they have them. I'm going to try to remember to pull it out tonight and see if by any chance it is stamped with a p/n, was going to do it last night and forgot until it was late so decided to post up here and see if anyone else has come across this. Thanks!
Engine serial number 076834 and down has a dipstick 41.1" long. Serial number 076835 and up has a dipstick that is 42.5" long.
41.1" is RE520646. 42.5" is RE520647.
Good going MG.. Nate owes you a beer.. or a pot holder..
Or maybe a Swizzle Stick?
Nate.. just factor in the extra inch.. is THAT where your oil ended-up on your stick?? IF SO.. you now KNOW where the problem actually is.. Glad to have u aboard Mg..
If you drained and refilled to proper spec, just mark your current dipstick with a new full line.
Awesome thanks for the info MG!! Pumpguys, I'll look at it again tonight but I think its probably about a 1/2" to 3/4" high on the stick. But depending on where they put the scale at on each stick, that could affect it a little I am assuming. I'm guessing I need the shorter stick, although my current engine s/n indicates the longer one. Engine s/n is se4024t107136 As I stated before, this is a replacement engine. Does anybody know if maybe there was an oil pan difference or something between the early and later engines? I am not sure what components a JD replacement comes with? Would the have had to put the old oil pan on the newer engine causing the dipstick issue? I'll pull it tonight and get a measurement and see how long the one I have is. Thanks again everyone
I may end up doing just that, but I have a tendancy to like things right.
The dipstick tube may be a different length as well.
It looked like there was only one tube # near as I could tell.
Same dipstick tube for both dipsticks.
Most likely the engine was a long block and the pan would have been swapped over to the new engine. Deere stopped building a complete 4024/5030 engine years ago.
Ok thanks MG. So here is a pic of my current dipstick, it is the newer part # correct for my engine s/n. However you can see by the black line that my oil level is way high. I assume there is something different with what I am guessing would be the older pan, and that I need the shorter old dipstick. MG, do you know if there was a pan change when the engine change took place at the s/n cutoff by chance?
Part of the issue is that you have an "SE" serial number which means that is a remanufactured engine. SE serial numbers get real confusing when it comes to parts (normal parts procedures do not necessarily apply to them, why???). I also checked build codes for that s/n and it is a long block shipped without an oil pan (see attached). Supply me with your machine serial number number and I may be able to track down the original engine s/n (PE s/n) and figure out which dipstick you need. Most likely you need RE520646 which to narrow it down further is 39.5" from the base of the handle to the crosshatch (RE520647 is 41") which would just about place your oil level correctly. To answer your question about the oil pan, there is only one part number for the CT322.
You're the man MG! Sorry took so long to get back, was out hunting all day. Unit s/n is TO322TB151906
Hope hunting went well Nate. Anyway this distick thing is clear as mud. Your original engine serial number for that machine is PE4024T147412. According to that serial number you have the correct dipstick. What is strange is the dipstick tube is the same for either dipstick, oil pans are all the same but the cylinder block and the oil pump pick up tubes are different based on serial numbers and those serial number changes don't align with the dipstick serial numbers. I could not find any bulletins pertaining to the dipstick or the block or the pick up tube. Serial number does not matter for oil quanity either. All I can figure is there was possibly a change in the block that affected hole placement for the dipstick tube and since you have a reman "SE" unit maybe the block used for the reman was of the older style. My suggestion is that if you place the proper amount of oil in then use the other dipstick if that works or make your own marks on the dipstick you have. What is sad is I have worked on no 100's of these engines (not an exaggeration, we have a huge market here with the 4024/5030 engines) and I have yet had to replace a dipstick. Now I am going to have to dig to try and find out why there was a change. This old motor head won't be able to let that go till I have an answer. If I ever get an answer I'll let you know (might be a while).
For your records.
Wow! Thanks for digging into that MG, that's a lot of info, I appreciate it! I'll have to decide now if I want to spend $60 for a dipstick, or just make new marks on what I have. My only concern with doing that is if someone else is using it for whatever reason the oil end up low, but looks full by the factory marks so I'll have to decide what to do there. Hunting was not too bad, deer season opened here yesterday, between the wife and I we have 4 tags to fill. Got one yesterday, probably could have gotten another had we stayed out a little longer. But, I made the not so wise decision to shoot one about a mile from the truck in the bottom of a pretty deep basin. So after 3 hours of dragging him out all up hill with a very steep 200 yard climb at the end to get out of the basin, we were pretty much wore out for the day lol. Here's a pic from the top over looking the basin where he was. Red dot is approximately where I shot him.
Wow! That is enough of a work out for a week dragging a deer out of there!! Enjoy the venison!
Thanks pumpguy!
Lol yeah that's what we thought too! Then we decided to go again today and had to drag another one out. Wife filled her buck tag, thankfully this one was alot closer to a trail than the one from yesterday. We will enjoy them for sure, a large portion of our meat throughout the year is deer.
Just remember: too much oil is a far better thing than too little.
actually too much oil in most engines is a bad thing, overheating ,foaming oil ,pump cavation etc. Bob
Still better than oil starvation.
Haven't decided yet if I want to buy the other dipstick to correct this. Have moved on to a different problem for now, have had a bucket tilt cylinder leaking a little since I got this unit this spring so i figured before winter sets in for good i had better get that off and fixed. Got that done, and have re-marked the current dip for now. I think I'm set to move snow now!!