I was trying to look up what the percentage of the market each company takes but the only article I could find with any numbers was from 2004 and doesn't include CTL's. Bobcat apparently dominated skid steers in 2004 with 45% of the market. I can only assume that they were also way on top in CTL's but 5 years is a long time. So, anyone know where to find the numbers?
What do you need the market share numbers for? Bobcat did a good job back in those years, I sold for a local dealer and it was about 1 track machine for every 7 rubber tire machines sold out in so cal. CAT's new CTL is nice and my customers like the Track Type Tractor under carriage. 100% CAT made and it's a two-speed.
Just curious, I've been looking to branch out from bobcat latley. But, I realize now that bobcat builds a one of a kind. Only other company I found that could get me foot controls was Deere, and I wasn't all that impressed with their machines. One of our guys backed our oldest T-200 into a dump truck at full speed and dented the 1/4" steel to hell, but that machine still finished the job. After 10 minutes with a torch and hammer and a new door it looked like new again. Do that with a deere and you'd be screwed. So, I'm just wondering how these other companies are doing with their ventures.
check out our new CTL's www.cat.com then look at Compact Track Loaders models 279, 289, 299. Machines are bullet proof and 100% made cat componets, not using anyones under carriage.
I'm pretty sure you can get a New Holland machine in foot controls. Around me Tachauchi is a popular choice.
a day with joystick controls, you'll never go back to hand foot.
I have one bobcat with both joystick and foot controls and have operated a handful of other brands. There is no way I will ever buy another machine with joysticks or even the crossover I have if I can help it. I've never seen anyone be able to operate a machine with joysticks like we can with foot pedals. Biggest draw back is you can't flick the bucket, they just don't respond like good ol' foot controls. Some might say big deal, but it's a huge time saver and allows us to grade tight areas much easier and do a better job. I don't know if bobcat has plans to drop their foot controls but I sure as hell hope not at this point.
you just haven't had your cat salesman show you how to flick it, there's a way of doing it, remember I sold Bobcats and now I'm going bad to those same people with CATS and winning them over.
i used to think that hand foot were the only way to go. Then we bought a 287b there has never been a spot i cant operate the joystick machine in. We are in some tight aeras digging swiming pools, with less than an inch on bolth sides of the gas meters, joystick no prob.
Well the local cat dealer is slackin then because none of the guys that I know can flick the bucket. I always laugh as I watch them raise the arms and dump a tiny amount of dirt.
GET AMICS in the CAT, controls implement speed, 3 settings,
Well I'll see if I can demo one and find out for myself. I have a few other issues with cat but if the controls are good enough to flick the bucket on par with foot controls I'd consider trying one out for a season. Does cat offer the set up where the bucket and steering use both sticks? When I talked to a salesman I didn't get much further past no foot controls before I ended it.
I think when you go to pilot controls you can have them set up however you please. Either case pattern or the joystick pattern. its just a matter of switching some cables & sensors around I believe. Myself, I prefer case pattern for all tight quarters or fine work because thats what I learned on. Its nice to be able to control each side independantly. With that being said, joystick controlls are much nicer to run, you dont need to have both hands on the controlls at all times. In the olders 1840 & 1845c's you could pin the levers with your knees and scratch your nose if you had too, but with the new levers in the xt's & 400 series, you have to stop to scratch your nose, get a drink or whatever. And foot controls, I'm just a danger operating one of those.
On the new "C Series" SSL, MTL and CTL the controls are Electric over Hydraulic, therefore you can switch control patterns by a switch before you release the parking brake. It's a nice option.
1) Why would you be screwed with a Deere? With the boom design, you'd likely run the boom into the truck before you did enough damage to have to replace the door. And I guarantee you the booms would be fine. 2) If your main requirement is that a machine stand up to running into objects at full speed, you need to hire better operators.
:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh
^^^^ What he said ^^^^ I have foot controls on my Deere, and that's really the only thing I hate about it. The back door is pretty strong even though the lift arms protect it from almost anything. The visibility is much better, so you are less likely to back into stuff anyway.
I 110% agree with the cat controls being slow. I've had 5 ro more 287Bs and now have a 297C and also a 287C. They are so slow to respond in a situation like flicking the dirt out of the bucket. I have a few Takeuchi machines and I can flick a 4'X4' concrete slab a good 10'. The cat also doesn't respond quickly when switching from forward to reverse. Only reason we continue to buy is we have a good relationship with the dealer and more importantly, the tracks do a lot less ground damage than or Taks
I have never seen a new deere, I buy my excavators from nortrax and they don't sell the mini's or skid steers anymore. Last one I did see though (probably 2 years ago) I was really unimpressed with how flimsy the rear seemed. It wasn't a CTL though. Either way I will probably never own one mostly because of the crappy dealer we have. I went and tried out a 289C today also, stopped by a job of one the other company's I work with. No one on that job site could flick the bucket enough to justify me buying one, including me. They didn't really care about flicking the bucket but you'll never catch me with a Cat. Didn't feel like it had anymore power than my T-250 either when you run it into a 10 yard pile. I think the next machine I need to test out is a Takeuchi from the sound of it.
The tak150 will slow when you hit a 10yrd pile but will keep going right through it. My cats will stop or stall. You will like the tak if you can deal with a rough ride
The man runs Bobcat CTL's nothing could ride harder than them surely?? All pilots are a little slower than direct linkage( some worse than others) but i still couldn't go back to levers and foot controls. working in steep country is murder on your body.
im in the market to buy a skid steer. and im geting info from yall. whats your opinon on the asv's the 100 model. or maybe the deere 332. or bobcat 300. i need info also new to the forms thanks for everything.
Apparently you haven't been one of the Bobcat CTL's with the leaf suspension. Makes a huge improvement in ride quality. bjs, I would probably go test drive the bobcat and the deere and just see which you like better. ASV is the worst machine on the market as far as I'm concerned, if you plan on using your machine in soil that has some rocks... stay away. Anytime someone try's to tell me I should buy an ASV I just tell them I need to be able to spin in pit run and they leave me alone. As far as my original question I ended up asking my bobcat dealer. He didn't have the exact numbers but bobcat is still around 45% for skid steers and he said they are #1 in CTL's, but that's more around 35%. Either way I'll be getting a Bobcat with their new suspension for my next buy since nothing else has really impressed me. Couldn't even find a Takeuchi dealer in my area.
ok thanks. but sense i dont know much yet. what is a ctl and spin in pit run?
Pit run sand is just un-screened sand that has large rocks in it. When you spin the rocks get into the tracks and make an awful racket, sometimes we even have to stop and get them out or risk losing a track. It isn't good for any machine but sometimes we have no choice. We have actually used one of our Bobcat's to load a rented ASV with less than 100 hours because they were back-filling trenches with pit run and the rocks chewed up the undercarriage. Ctl is just short for compact track loader.
"As far as my original question I ended up asking my bobcat dealer. He didn't have the exact numbers but bobcat is still around 45% for skid steers and he said they are #1 in CTL's, but that's more around 35%." I think they're a little optimistic. The 08 numbers I saw put them at 34% on skids and 33% on CTL's. Still at the top of each, but losing ground every year.
Ever look at a Mustang or Gehl machine? They've had "foot controls" for years and years.
You're kidding right?:lmao I'll give bobcat credit for not thinking too long or too hard on a way to offer suspension. You can't get much more original than a leaf spring set up that only allows the mid wheels to move about 1/2" and provides nothing for the front or rear where the main impact points are. The front and rear are still solid to the machine and it still beats the heck out of you if you have any decent amount of weight in the bucket. You also lose almost 1200lbs off of the tipping load even though the T320 with the suspension weighs 600lbs more than the solid undercarriage. The ROC @ 35% of tipping load goes from 3200lbs on the solid undercarriage to 2800lbs with the suspension and you lose over 550lbs off of the ROC at 50% of the tipping load.
The Mustang and Gehl are a repainted version of the Tak. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, foot controls aren't an option.
You are 100% correct. I was pointing out just one brand that offered foot controls. If 440chevy was referring just to CTLs I think that New Holland still offers them along with the JDs that he mentioned.