Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CTL what size do I need?

clark13 ยท 2016-10-10 20:48

Hey all this is my first post to the forum. I would like to purchase a CTL and have settled on so far on a Takeuchi with a vertical lift pattern. I do plan on doing a demo and will try out a Cat as well though i haven't been real impressed with our dealer out here on our Cat backhoe. I have dealt with the Case/Tak dealer before, and they are good to work with. I work in agriculture and would be handling a lot of hay and cleaning corrals ect. I ran a JD 325 and 326D for 4 years and they could lift two 4x4 bales at a time (though it was a little hairy) allowing them to be stacked four high. I have a CDL and a semi that I haul our telehandler and hoe around with, but I am thinking about picking up a dump trailer (PJ low pro) so it would be nice if I could haul my CTL in that. The TL12V2 seems like it would not work in a dump trailer so I was looking at a 10V2. Just wondering if you guys think I would miss the extra capacity or not?

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2016-10-10 22:33

    The TL12V2 is the largest CTL on the market and it weighs just under 13K with a 4200 pound ROC. You could not haul that machine in a PJ dump trailer, unless it was a gooseneck style. The TL10V2 is a 10K machine but the ROC is light in my opinion at 2600 pounds, but that would be about what the Deere ROC is on the machines that you ran. So if the Deere wheeled machine would lift it, the TK track machine certainly would as well. Pioneer Equipment has a TL12V2 they just got in recently. I personally think that is way more than you need to load bales and clean corrals with. I would consider demoing a CASE TV380. It is 90 hp, 3800 pound ROC, vertical lift and would fit between the two TK machines lift wise. I demoed a CAT 299D (not the high hp version) and it was a nice machine to run but did not have the power that I currently have with my TR320. Good luck

  2. #2clark132016-10-10 23:07

    I saw the TL12V2 over at Pioneer and it just looked huge. I was planning on a gooseneck dump trailer but even still the TL10 maybe too much for it. I will definetly look at the case as well as I have never run one of those...

  3. #3skata2016-10-11 00:48

    can you rent or demo a machine? no better way to know if it works! i'm looking at getting a tl10v2. replace my tl140.

  4. #4KSSS2016-10-11 22:07

    I am a TK fan, more for their excavators than the CTL's, but the specs on the TL10 don't look that great for a 10K pound machine.

  5. #5skata2016-10-12 16:59

    those specs make me wonder. while i can see the lifting capability of the tak not being the greatest, i find the traction and pushing power to be real good. plus i love the hydraulic over hydraulic controls. how are those 'rated operating capacity' specs calculated?

  6. #6clark132016-10-12 17:58

    The 324 E Deere is rated at about 2600 lbs ROC at 50% tipping load while the TL10 is rated at 2660 ROC at 35% of tipping load and 3600 lbs ROC at 50% tipping load. The Case TV380 is around 3800 lbs ROC at 50% tipping load, so the Tak and the Case are fairly similar other than the lift and bucket breakout definitely favor the Case. The Tak has quite a bit more tractive force despite being lighter than the case. I also like the hydraulic/hydraulic controls and the front roll up door of the Tak. It will likely come down to price...

  7. #7skata2016-10-12 20:00

    back when i bought my tak, case was my second option. i just didnt like the small cab. does anyone know if tak will update the standard TL with the newer cabs? i wonder if there are any plans for the new 'idler on rubber' tracks for the standard TL machines. otherwise i'd go with the tl10v2, even though i dont really need the vertical lift, as i dont load trucks much.

  8. #8Mark132016-10-12 23:26

    I have a Tak TL230 (Older, similar to the current TL8). On paper the specs don't look to amazing or exciting but for being basically the baby of their line up it sure holds its own. 67hp, weighs 8600lb, 1860lb operating capacity at 35% but it'll run right along side larger machines from other manufacturers. Everytime I use it I end up amazed at how easily it'll do something that I expected it to have to work for or I know how another machine would struggle with it from past experience. Sure I wish the cab was as fancy as the newer Cats and Bobcats but the roll up door and the feel of the all hydraulic controls makes me forget about it being a little noisier in the cab or not having all the latest gadgets. I feel my TL230 is a beast for it's size, I can't imagine what the TL12 or TL12v2 is like in comparison.

  9. #9Matty1802016-10-15 08:16

    I think you will have more than enough machine with the tl10. I have a tl130 and basically have not found anything it can't do. It lifts 2500lbs barely off idle. ROC is like 1250lbs. These machine are way underrated. I have a 1000lb brush grapple and 78" smooth bucket which it handles without any problem fully loaded. I don't know exactly what your needs are but I'm a builder/gc and if I was looking to buy new I would buy the tl8. The tl10 is even better.But I wouldn't go off the specs to much. Go demo and see. They can do a lot and I agree with mark13 I feel my machine is a beast for its size. I have the older version of the tl230. Matt

  10. #10clark132016-10-16 00:21

    I noticed the TL12 has a faster ground speed than the TL10 which would be nice when hauling hay or other jobs where theres a lot of ground to cover. There's always a compromise to be made it seems but I am still leaning towards the TL10. Spoke with the dealer today but the construction guy was out of the office.

  11. #11KSSS2016-10-16 14:53

    Some things to consider when running a CTL at sustained max speed, for an extended period of time. The speed generates heat, those steel cables in the tracks get warm and your tracks will not last as long and the undercarriage will see shorter life. That may not be a game changer but something to think about, your costs may be a little higher if your running around at max speed collecting hay bales. That is one of the (few) advantages of the MTL with the ASV undercarriage, they don't have steel in their tracks just Kevlar so their ground speeds are higher.