Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins 4-390 engine blows oil out of breather tube

eldon ยท 2014-10-21 08:45

I had the engine rebuilt on my Case 480F LL. My problem is, if I run the engine above half throttle, engine oil runs out the breather tube, especially if the engine is cold. The engine rebuilder is no help at all. Thank you for any help in advance!

Replies10
  1. #1overworked2014-10-21 09:23

    Possibly the breather is not complete, missing it guts. Or some broken rings?

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-10-21 11:00

    Is there a lot of blowby or is oil just dribbling out? You could be missing the baffle and the crank is just throwing oil out of the breather.

  3. #3eldon2014-10-21 19:53

    The blowby don't seem to be bad, as I drive the tractor it leaves a solid stream of oil on the ground at a medium to high rpm. I will pull the cover off and check it when I have time. Thank you both for the reply.

  4. #4fixou8122014-10-21 21:04

    I once pulled an oil pan (no oil pressure) on an engine as you say. ..was just rebuilt. What I discovered was Strings of RTV silicone gasket sealer from the Pan and valve covers coiled up in the oil sump.

  5. #5alrman2014-10-22 18:34

    There is the possibility of some internal oil leakage happening at the valve rocker posts. These have engine oil pressure going to them & sometimes a little leakage may occur around the heads of the retaining bolts. This can cause the oil to accumulate & leak out the breather. You can check this by removing the rocker covers - **** REFITTING THE 4 ROCKER COVER RETAINING BOLTS **** - & running the engine. If any oil is bubbling out from under the heads of the bolts, remove the bolts, one at a time, put some sealant under between the bolt/washer & rocker post & re-torque bolt to spec. - If you remove more than one bolt at a time you could affect the sealing of the head gasket - so only one at a time should be removed, resealed & refitted. :drinkup

  6. #6eldon2016-05-25 04:09

    I have not been on this forum in a long time, till the other day. Thank you airman for pointing me in the right direction. I have been limping along with my problem. I removed the side cover the breather tube is connected to, there was no problem there. I removed the number four valve cover, fired the engine up and found the PLUG at the end of the rocker arm shaft was missing. Each plug was missing on all four cylinders. After spending forty nine dollars at the local Case place for the plugs that did not fit, I plugged the hole with a bolt that fit. I also found the push rod on number three cylinder was not in the lifter where it should be. Looking back on it, I thought the engine had a miss in it. It was running pretty good on three cylinders, it is running a lot better on all four now and no oil coming out of the breather tube. Thank you again airman

  7. #7alrman2016-05-25 05:46

    Glad you got it sorted out. :thumbsup So, do you want to recommend that engine reconditioner to anyone?? :drinkup

  8. #8kshansen2016-05-25 09:11

    Everyone makes a mistake now and then, that guy should be caught up for the next 10-20 years! I would be keeping a close eye on that engine hate to think what else may have been forgot or done wrong.

  9. #9Willie B2016-05-25 21:45

    It seems warranted to give a good going over. I once had a snowmobile engine with a crankshaft separate in sections. The mechanic who replaced was very good. Ten miles later the engine seized. I took to a different mechanic. The banjo fitting from oil injection was not tight. Precious oil was leaking under the engine, not going where it was needed. I got off cheap. $1500 repaired the engine second time. My theory: His phone rings constantly. Like millions of drivers, he was distracted.

  10. #10eldon2016-05-25 22:08

    Not even to my worst enemy. Have a great day, and thanks again airman. Thank you all for your input, take care