Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins 5.9 oil leak from new vacuum pump gasket??

Camshawn · 2020-08-09 20:19

In my pickup, replaced the power steering pump and Vacuum pump due to an oil drip from the seal between the two. New gasket on cleaned surfaces between the gear case and the vacuum pump, bolts tight and I am getting an leak from the flange through the gasket on the bottom side. Any advise? Silicone or form a gasket between the gasket and the flanges? The bolts are tight. Cam

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-08-09 22:05

    The only sealer I would use is NAPA The Right Stuff and a thin amount at that. Or you could use Indian Head and never take it apart again.

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2020-08-09 22:32

    We use Right Stuff at work, but my old employer spoiled me with Yamabond. Better flex and better seal than anything else I've used (still use it for all my personal stuff).

  3. #3Birken Vogt2020-08-09 23:14

    I like high tack for paper gaskets but the variety of sealers seems infinite and I have not tried each one yet.

  4. #4Camshawn2020-08-10 09:37

    Thank you all for your replies. I will pull the vacuum pump again this morning to make sure there is not a piece of crap on the face or a fold in the gasket that I missed, then off to Napa to get some sealer. Nothing fresh here at home. I will try to get one of the ones recommended above. Cam

  5. #5Engineer442020-08-10 10:31

    Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance is the best stuff I’ve used. Just be sure the parts to be joined are perfectly clean/oil free. I wipe the surfaces with Brrakleen until the cloth shows no discoloring. I’ve sealed some difficult to seal joints years ago and they are still bone dry.

  6. #6Ben Witter2020-08-10 12:46

    What year Dodge? If you thoroughly cleaned both surfaces and there were no defects you should not need any sealer. Did you replace them with new or used parts? If you cleaned them did you use a powered surface prep disc and possibly remove too much material from the timing case? The seal on the vacuum pump is easily replaced with a $20-30 kit

  7. #7Camshawn2020-08-10 12:59

    Truck is a 96 with 260,000 km. The gasket kit for the pump is $110 can$. The aluminum case and insert need to separate to replace the seal. An hour tapping, pressing ect and the 2 would not come apart so a new pump was purchased for $600. There is also some scoring inside the “chamber” from the vanes, probably not enough to cause a problem but....260k. With the cost of a new computer controlled truck and the places we go, I would like to keep this one another 10 years. The only rust is at the bottom of the passenger side fender. I am just going out now to pull it apart again and see if I can spot the root cause of the oil leak. Cam

  8. #8Ben Witter2020-08-10 17:47

    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vacuum-Pump...687835?hash=item4d9913b6db:g:ZqoAAOSwyNtdPwOq https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cummins-Gen...462896?hash=item23d111d7f0:g:nqUAAOSwKsdbYytF Seal kits are cheap. The seal retainer just needs some persuasion with a decent sized hammer. But you have already gone down the road you have chosen. If it is leaking there is either debris left on the surface or the surface is not true. If you are going to use RTV or gasket maker I would just toss the gasket and use the sealant alone.

  9. #9Camshawn2020-08-10 18:29

    Thanks for the links. I never think of buying parts on line. I found a little thread damage on the new gasket from the bottom bolt. I reinstalled the old gasket(also 10 thousands thicker) and the leak is gone. The only good thing was none of the bolts had any corrosion on the threads. I pulled the pump combination back enough to slip out the gasket, wipe everything clean and get the old gasket back in with the hoses still attached. Thanks for all the tips. Cam