Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins 5.9-P injection pump question.

Mobilewrench · 2023-10-09 21:35

Had to replace a shutdown solenoid on a morbark chipper last week. The original was mounted on the injection pump, the replacement mounts to a bracket between the lift pump and the block. It also uses a different shutoff lever.

Replies9
  1. #1Mobilewrench2023-10-09 21:38

    Old style.

  2. #2Mobilewrench2023-10-09 21:39
  3. #3Mobilewrench2023-10-09 21:43

    Had to remove this bolt/plug to remove the original lever

  4. #4Mobilewrench2023-10-09 21:48

    When I took it out I lost some engine oil. Just thought I would ask if I have to put oil back into the pump before I start it (and how). Or if the engine will just pump oil back in. Also wonder if there was anything else behind the plug that I might have lost.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2023-10-09 22:01

    Your ok.. Engine will fill gov back up. Nothing behind the screw. U have to set the “throw” of the plunger.. otherwise it’ll burn up in minutes.. MAKE SURE u adjust the plunger to where it’s seated completely when activated.. Good luck.

  6. #6Mobilewrench2023-10-09 22:05

    Thanks

  7. #7skyking12023-10-10 00:47

    Confirming all this. I don't know much but had a P-pumped Ram for many years.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2023-10-10 22:24

    The body on them would rust out, before the engine was just getting broke in good..

  9. #9skyking12023-10-10 22:51

    If they had the auto transmission you'd go through a few of them in the life of the engine too. That sent me to the 6 speed Manuel in my 3rd gen. Those transmission builds were not cheap!