I have a 2000 Sterling dump truck, with a 8.3L Cummins, allison tranny. I had to pull it off the job today, it was getting alot of fuel in the oil. The engine would only run for a few minutes and cut off.We dont have any good local shops in our area for these engines. The shop I did take it to, is removing the injectors, with HOPES of finding a bad o'ring or bad injector. If this doesnt work, he is going to pull the injection pump and check the front seal. Sounds like alot of troubleshooting and my $$$$$$'s It has the ISC Cummins engine model E, 275hp #45831807 Vin YAF54358 Another issue, this happened about 7 months ago, when I bought the truck. The engine warning lite stays on most of the time, every now and then the Stop engine light will flash and the engine would surge. I know this is a warning to check things out, so I take it to a shop, their computer says cam & crank sensor. Replaced both of them, still the same thing. $800 They said they thought it was the wiring harness, HUMMMMM Took it to another shop, it stayed there 2 days, couldnt find out the problem. $350 they thought it was a transmission sensor, but they didnt change it. I finally just got fed up and put the truck to work, up till now (fuel in oil and shutting off) it does the work, but not great. I was hoping after the job Im on now, I could take it to a Cummins dealer (4 hrs away) and have them fix the problem, but the fuel in the oil thingee got me today Kinda got me baffled on this one, with the work as slow as it is, and the truck has issues and cant work. Not good for the bank account Thanks for any comments, remember this is a ISC engine
Cummins is famous for injector pump front seal leakage. Only fix is installing a new seal assembly. I am, however, seriously prejudiced against Cummins engines. Never liked them, never will. Same with retread Ford trucks now known as "Sterling." I can't say the change in ownership has helped the truck any. Both are serious candidates for "boat anchor" of the year awards, as is the engine.
Good news and bad news surfer-joe. The good news (for you anyway) is there will be no future Sterling trucks to contend with. The bad news (again for you) is that Cummins is likely to be around for a good long time....
I did a little exploring of the forums and surfer-joe, I've found where you've labled Caterpillars, Detroits, Perkins and Ford diesels "boat anchors", and here you call Cummins the same. So tell me....is there an engine you are fond of?
My :my2c Bad injector - Looking at them may not reveal a problem. Then if that fails to remedy go after the injection pump. But it sounds like an injector failure to me. They will dump alot of fuel quick. Then the motor will somehow sense the danger of the diluted oil and try to save itself by shutting down.
injection pump cummins One thing I know I have is a bad injection pump, plunger is broken and cam is pitted. Cummins says $3500 exchange. Bit pricy for me right now, anyone have any idea of a used injection pump for a ISC 275hp. I know Im taking a chance, BUT I have gone through all my catalogs and cant find any used ones
Cummins injection pump wanted Looking for a Cummins, Capps injection pump #4076441rx. It fits a 2000 Sterling dump, 8.3L ISC engine. The injectors tested OK, just need servicing
Cat 3306 idle problem A friend of mine, has a 1990 KW dump truck, with a Cat 3306 engine. He just bought the truck, the truck has an issue returning to idle. The linkage is returning to idle, but the engine doesnt return to full idle and making it hard to shift gears. I think he said it idles around 1200, when going through the gears. Im not sure what he said about it idling out of gear, but Im sure it isnt real high. But of of gear it takes a while to get to full idle. Thanks for any info
Dang, your luck has been rough. What happened to the mulcher that was having all the engine problems?
mulcher Finally had to give up the fight with the Fecon. A small guy doesnt stand a chance against the big guys. The leasing company, couldnt help, so I told them they would have to take it back. This was about 6 months ago, Im still waiting for the fall out on this one. Im almost 65 years old and its the first thing, I have had to turn back in. Between Fecon/Duetz and the economy I gave up on that one. My friend with the 3306 cat engine, idling problem, found out it was the governor fly weights, I think he said it cost him about $500 to have it fixed
Cummins pump I bit the bullet and bought a Cummins rebuilt $3100 HUMMMM hope the trucking doesnt play out. Got the injectors installed today, pump will be here Thrus.
I"m curious if the injection pump fixed the fuel in the oil issue. I have a 2000 ISC in an RV that started making oil. I had the oil tested and it came back with 10% fuel in the oil. I was suspecting O rings but heard it could be the pump. Did you replace the O rings and pump yourself, if so was it a very difficult procedure? Anything special to know about?
Capps pump The pump did fix the fuel in the oil, $3900 later. The pump with a discount was $3600 and I paid a guy $200 cash to change it (he owed me a favor) I would take it to a Cummins dealer (not a RV dealer and get them to fix it) You can only buy this pump through Cummins, there are no aftermarket pumps to replace the Capps (or Crapps) pump. I tried about 30 different places, to find a used one, but there are none and I didnt even find a used engine with one on it. I was told if I found one, that it probably is bad, or getting ready to go bad, so I bit the bullet and got a rebuilt one with a warranty. I finally got the truck running good and one of my drivers wrecked the truck. HUMMMMM Im not a happy camper. I sold the truck to a salvage company, they may want to sell just the pump, but you will be better to get one from Cummins. Again Cummins is the only one that can work on the pump itself, they will not sell anyone the parts to repair the pump Good Luck and sorry you have a Crapps pump, get it fixed soon, that fuel in the oil is bad on the bearings
Thanks I appreciate the feedback but not looking forward to the repair!
8.3l Im sure there is Cummins dealers in your area, but Cummins Atlanta, in NC (just off 95 Wilson) they do great work and they have the equipment to do the work. They cant rebuild the pump, but they can get a Cummins rebuild and install it. Good Luck and be ready to spend some bucks
I recently had a cummins 8.3 doing the same thing getting fuel in the oil. Turns out that it was actually the accumulator. It is mounted on the driver side of the block and is very easy to change, just 4 bolts and two fuel lines. Had to buy it from cummins and it was $850.00. Check that out first, that would be a much cheaper fix..