Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins big cam or NTC 400 low power but starts good

mattyt1984 ยท 2021-08-01 20:46

Not sure on what engine this is but it is stamped 400 HP. It will start ok but has no power and will not rev up like it should. I have good fuel pressure going in to pump but it just seems like it is starving for fuel. Any ideas what could cause this. There is no smoke or blow by. Also if I put engine under load it will stall out.

Replies26
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-08-01 21:14

    BCIII--Does it idle smooth? Happen at once or slowly over time?

  2. #2mattyt19842021-08-01 21:21

    Yes

  3. #3Truck Shop2021-08-01 21:37

    Yes what? I asked two questions.

  4. #4Truck Shop2021-08-01 21:50

    Remove the braded/rubber return fuel hose near back head. Slip another hose over it and run it into bucket. See if it runs the same.

  5. #5mattyt19842021-08-01 21:58

    sorry yes idles smooth I just purchaed item was told it used to run good has been sitting for years.

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-08-02 07:38

    If the return fuel line swells inside cutting flow it will put pressure against aneroid and cut fuel back in pump. First place to look.

  7. #7mattyt19842021-08-03 17:12

    I had fuel flow back to return i found if I plug it power increases. I put a valve on the return and let just a little through and it gets allot more power. What's could cause this?

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-08-03 21:01

    That means that PT pump is not aneroid equipped-The old trick to up rail pressure on early non aneroid pumps was put a pair of vise grips on the return line-problem with that is it causes slow deceleration. Next item have that pump checked. Plus check the fuel feed hose first.

  9. #9funwithfuel2021-08-03 21:13

    Is that a stupid timing control valve hanging off the side there? I've known those to be a headache

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-08-03 21:59

    Correct-you notice the throttle shaft lever is on top of pump.

  11. #11funwithfuel2021-08-03 22:09

    Yeah, and i know nothing about how those things work. I do know STC is probably not getting energized and it's probably running retarded. Just my theory with absolutely nothing to back it up.

  12. #12Truck Shop2021-08-04 07:35

    Problem is that is not a true STC fuel system. I had a cummins manual on it but can't find it.

  13. #13funwithfuel2021-08-04 07:57

    The system on the older Komatsu excavators is simply on/off using a fuel shut-off solenoid. I believe the automotive version is thermostat controlled. I think. On the komatsu version, anything over idle blubbers and smokes, won't build any boost. It's terrible. I always recommend running the overhead OBC method, then see if the problem remains. I hate STC.

  14. #14j dirt2021-08-04 07:59

    I had a big cam that would start and idle perfectly, but seemed to be running out of fuel when you tried to take off, it had a tiny hole rubbed in the braided line from the tank to the pump. It was hard to find, but a cheap, easy fix.

  15. #15Truck Shop2021-08-04 11:00

    That pump is a PTG variable speed pump. Mainly for stationary engines.

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-08-04 12:26

    The PTG pump has two governors. The automotive/highway standard governor located in the lower housing and a hydraulically operated governor in the top where throttle control lever is located for load requirements. Having sat for a period of time the bottom governor has probably stuck. Any moisture will collect in the bottom along with a possibility it has had bio fuel which over a period of time will freeze up the governors in a PT pump. If it will idle but won't gain rpm the governor is a good place to start. So IMO I would have pump checked.

  17. #17mattyt19842021-08-11 20:31

    Is this also a type of governor or regulator??? It's bolted to side of engine how do I test?

  18. #18Truck Shop2021-08-11 20:46

    It is the oil psi operated control for the governor located at the top of injection pump. Remove the hose going to top of pump, see if there is any black engine oil in that hose or port. IIRC that side should only have clean fuel. That controller IIRC is not rebuildable only serviced through Cummins because it's calibrated.

  19. #19mattyt19842021-08-11 20:51

    I'll check tomorrow so the only way this engine is governed or rpm it's controlled it's by fuel pressure going to the rail?

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-08-11 21:00

    Here is a video a good video of basic PT pump operation, mind you this is a standard PT pump.

  21. #21mattyt19842021-08-11 21:22

    Looks quite simple. What's the need for the additional external governor?

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-08-11 21:39

    As I said before the rpm governor is controlled at the throttle pedal which also your foot controls load. The governor on top is a load sensing governor and adds fuel on demand without human control.

  23. #23DMiller2021-08-12 04:59

    Trash trucks with hydraulic lifts or compaction blades used this style as the Hydraulics surges in pressure indicated a response from the engine, harder the push the harder the engine would work.

  24. #2456wrench2021-08-12 10:33

    And tractor engines like found in the old steiger or versatile in the early 80's

  25. #25mattyt19842021-08-12 20:44

    There was no oil in that line that that feeds fuel to the oil psi operated governor and engine wanted to stall with it cracked. The engine does have throttle and at one point today it ran with the return line open I shut engine off and restarted and it was back to needing the return line plugged.

  26. #26Truck Shop2021-08-12 21:05

    With engine idling use a tubing wrench and just crack the fuel line loose that comes out of fuel shut off solenoid, that's the main fuel line to injectors. Just barely loosen it so fuel crowns at the fitting. Check to see if any tiny bubbles are present. If so there is air in system. Loosen fitting too far and engine will die.