Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cummins comments

petepilot · 2019-04-09 18:34

looking for thoughts comments likes dislikes ,we are looking at buying a 2007 kw st truck with an 8.3 litre cummins` allison auto. seller says 240.000 miles believe its an isc rated 260.hp, tell me what you think

Replies23
  1. #1Birken Vogt2019-04-09 21:26

    That is a first generation first year DPF truck if the model year is right. I would stay away unless it was real cheap or there is some reason to expect the motor has been updated pretty well. They had some problems. It is a good engine at base but the garbage they hung all over it was not so great.

  2. #2Junkyard2019-04-09 21:44

    I know the early EGR models had issues with actuators and the like. If it’s anything like my service truck it’s a dog getting up to speed. Like Birken said I’d they've kept the software and whatnot current it may not be too bad. I’d be tempted to drop the two filters out of the bottom of the trans and see what they look like as well as the fluid. The only issue I’ve had with my Allison is a transmission control module taking a dump.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2019-04-09 23:31

    The Allison auto should be no problem. But issues I know of with that engine, a lot of bad injectors at the beginning causing carbon and something similar to dusting in the cylinders. Causing crankcase pressure, catalyst contamination, eventually the motor is slap wore out. Various issues with the variable geometry turbocharger. EGR coolers, crankcase filters, and all the other useless junk they threw on these. Also 260 HP is low for an ISC. They did pretty good at 300+. Hopefully you can live with the low power. Now if it is the 2006 built engine without the garbage tacked on, that is a nice smooth running engine. Ours did not even have EGR.

  4. #4petepilot2019-04-09 23:38

    have not seen this truck up close yet but looking at the pics . i don`t see a def tank any where. i`m not to up to date on the newer stuff .

  5. #5Tenwheeler2019-04-09 23:53

    DPF: Diesel particulate filter. That does not require DEF: Diesel exhaust fluid. An 07 could have DPF.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2019-04-10 01:16

    DEF tank showed up in 2010. These models had DPF (filter in the exhaust) only. If it is a 2007 and has these, it would be the first year made. You know how first year anything is. Be very alert. Lots of potential problems very hard to check until they hit you with $$$$$. But any emissions truck is going to be that way.

  7. #7John C.2019-04-10 10:23

    Just my observations and two cents worth but I've always experienced that the B and C series engines were weak for highway trucks. I've seen plenty of them in service trucks and always had complaints of short lives with lots of blow by and weak performance. They seem to work well in things like school busses and garbage trucks but when you put them on the highway with a big load and lots hills they just don't last. Add in the Tier problems and I've just never trusted them for line use. That ISC is just not an M11, DT466 or a 3306.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2019-04-10 11:14

    I think he said it is a straight truck. I think they are great up to about 40k but I only have experience with 300+ HP versions. I expect it a bit sluggish at 260.

  9. #9petepilot2019-04-11 01:11

    yes just a single axle t 300 will have a 24-26 ft flatbed 5-7 ton loads short hop

  10. #10Birken Vogt2019-04-11 01:57

    I really like that truck and engine and transmission combination if the low HP does not bother you, and you can keep the emissions stuff from bankrupting you, need to confirm what emissions package is on it. The prior year 2006 had common rail injectors, no EGR, exhaust catalyst only, real simple engine otherwise and was quiet and a dream to drive and never broke down.

  11. #11Vetech632019-04-11 06:45

    ISC series = UGH for me. I have seen 2 on the highway. 1 lost a cam follower and the other broke a cam gear. The dump truck driver constantly complained of low power and it was in the Cummins shop ALOT with emission issues.

  12. #12Birken Vogt2019-04-11 10:49

    The early ones were rock solid. They were 110% better than the alternative, the C7. Now that was ugh. But emissions ruined absolutely everything of course. I think if we had broad maintenance numbers from 1998-2006 they would be far below the average in $ spent on maintenance. They just run and don't break. For the most part.

  13. #13petepilot2019-04-11 19:48

    we have two 8.3 mech. and they have`nt given any problem at all hope this one works as well. was told a short while ago its being delivered first of the week

  14. #14rondig2019-04-11 20:39

    8.3 is awesome engine....emission sucks though....c7 was crap and way worse...07-09 8.3 is easy to delete if you can

  15. #15petepilot2019-04-16 22:38

    may have another one a 2008 t300 on the way thing has a 6.17 ratio rear in it with 22.5 rubber & allison 6 spd trans . anyone good at calculating road speed for that set up? am assuming a 2100 rpm eng.

  16. #16rondig2019-04-16 23:10

    I have a freightliner with same specs except my engine is mbe...i can do 75 mph @ 2000

  17. #17Old Doug2019-04-17 20:48

    They have one were i work it has been problems from day one. I dont like the allisons because the brakes dont last as long as i wish they would but that is a driver deal.Any old truck with a computor is going to be trouble.

  18. #18Birken Vogt2019-04-17 20:52

    I know what you mean about the brakes but I wish it didn't have to be. Allisons make it easier to save brakes if you can just lift your hand off the arm rest and push the buttons. No need to worry about missing a shift going down hill and ending up in never never land, and if you are coming up to a stop sign you can manually select 2nd gear and it will downshift each gear as soon as it is safe, with a Jake brake you will be kissing the windshield. If it is the newer 8.3 it might already have Jakes and if it does, hardly any need to use the buttons, that is one strong brake on that little engine.

  19. #19petepilot2019-04-17 21:00

    am told it has an engine brake did not specify what brand

  20. #20Birken Vogt2019-04-18 00:19

    Again, there could be options. If it is a 2006 build engine (pre-DPF) the only brake available is an exhaust (butterfly) brake, better than nothing but not very effective and you have to run the engine at or above high idle for max effect. Yes it is allowed to run the engine somewhat above high idle with the brake on, I read it in the manual back when these engines were a current product. Not saying it is a good idea. If it is the DPF model, there are two options. One is some sort of computer programming that clamps the turbine nozzle down which behaves similar to an exhaust brake but I have never operated one. The better option is a product actually made by Jacobs that is the same kind of exhaust valve based brake as found on big motors, and it works in conjunction with the computer and the turbine nozzle and is very effective, down to 1500 and below even.

  21. #21crane operator2019-04-18 07:55

    The only way you're going to know final speed is if you know the top gear ratio. With 6.17 rears it better have a deep overdrive final.

  22. #22Truck Shop2019-04-18 08:55

    Plus tire diameter in that equation

  23. #23Birken Vogt2019-04-18 10:40

    Normally this size truck would come with 10R22.5 tires. ~500 revs/mile IIRC. Allison double OD @ .65. 60 mph @ 2000 RPM. 63 mph @ 2100.