I'd still pay a mechanic $3500. to delete the DEF on my truck.. Global warming is to blame for the emissions. If it wasn't for global warming, the software would work as advertised. Cummins Fined $1.6 Billion Over Allegations It Outfitted Dodge Rams With Software To Cheat Emissions | ZeroHedge ZeroHedge - On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero www.zerohedge.com
It's been all over the internet for weeks now. Apparently the guys who have had the update done notice zero difference in operation of their trucks. One guy did a bunch of tests and best he can figure the only thing it did was recalibrate the DEF tank level gauge so it is much harder to operate the truck the last x number of miles with an empty DEF tank and also the gauge makes you want to fill it up sooner.
China has 1200 coal fired power plants, but my truck is the problem ?
Oh yes, your truck is the problem. Just wait until they come and take your hamburger away . . .
By tyler fight club durden-----oh brother!. that's a pile of snake crap.
Sounds like an over-zealous bureaucrat prosecuting attorney unhappy with his Dodge and wishes he would've bought a Toyota. If Cummins appeal doesn't work, they're coming for Caterpillar next, but Cats. fine will be 3.2 billion - just because.... Caterpillar better keep looking over their shoulders. Environmentalism is stuck on carbon emissions. Horticulture plants need CO2 - it isn't as bad as they say.
No kidding.
Chevron deference getting struck down might help this crap but we are still waiting on it. I'm still waiting on a big engine manufacturer to make a 20L+ gas engine, even though it will use more fuel it will be cheaper to maintain and drive and emissions repairs
Gasoline may be the only way to meet the government emission standards in the future
We like our "Godzilla" Ford gas engine, but much less torque...
At my day job we are on the second round of pickups with the 7.3. Not a problem to speak of and I can't remember a engine problem yet.
No broken plastic lifter guides or delaminating camshafts or lifter rollers? Lucky.
Ever driven a two stroke? Gas will do fine
GMC 702 cid v12? I happen to know where there are (were) a couple.
1963 702 cu. in. V12. This one runs--3 miles to the gallon. *
We need to up it to the hall gas engines
Pure Junk Science - ET issuu.com https://issuu.com/johna.shanahan/docs/240219_pure_junk_science
Funny you should post that---it has become the most posted truck item on the internet in the last 2 years--thanks to yours truly. And only one was built and that one burnt to a crisp. The Hall Scott Invader ran so hot and ate so much fuel that it rendered the truck----as handy as a piece of used toilet paper. That KW also had what was called {The Three Man Cab}. International also built a three man cab during that time period.
CF, I had never heard of Hall Scott, I had to do a search for it. Thanks for posting it, I thought it was interesting.
1091 overhead cam gas pig. *
You can find them in old fire engines these days.
A friend of mine recently replaced his 26' box truck with a newer one. He had a Freightliner with I think a Cummins before. He was tired of taking it to the dealer for engine issues, so he bought a Ford F650 with the 7.3 gas. It pulls just fine, but gets about 5 mpg . . .
For some reason Hall Scott and other huge gas engines were popular in fire trucks for a while, but were all gone was before my time in fire apparatus. The only I ever worked on was a Ford 534.
By the time 1952 rolled around is when people started looking at powering with diesel. Diesel power was slow to get a footing, gas was cheap, gas engines were cheap to produce. Hall Scott was on it's down hill slide by 1955, when GMC came out with the 702 V12 in early 60's it was too late the nail was in the coffin. Detroit Diesel could produce the two strokes relatively cheap, and it was less up keep, with diesel being cheap also. Detroit's were often spec'd because Detroit would undercut the other manufactures to get the sale. Detroit had the Lions share of engine sales going back to 1944.
In 1961 there was one real defining design that pretty much put the kill to gasoline power plants. The Jacobs Engine Brake designed by Clessie Cummins. People finally gave into the idea of being able to stop and stay in control was just as important as moving.
I was cleaning out some cabinets in a shop I worked in in 1980 it was started in 1959. Sadly I threw away manuals and service bulletins from the Clessie Cummins Engine brake Company. The trade mark was a mule with a cart going down a hill and logo said " Even A Mule Works Both ways". I also remember seeing that same picture on the engine brake switch on a really old KW.
To collectors those old manuals and bulletins are a treasure.
I really enjoy the aesthetics of the old hand drafted manuals…
I am sure sold on it. The brake saver on the 3406 is always on. I would do a head job on my 5.9 to get it, but for the cost and the relative effectiveness of the simple exhaust brake that I have.
IDK...... Look up Toyotas 'water engine'. Looks like they might be getting close to getting it figured out.
What did the diesel get
I had a 2011 Ford E450 cube van with a gas burning V10 in it for a service truck. It got 8.4 miles per gallon in town and on the highway.
I've only seen two of these, were not real common, GMC 637 cu. in. V8. 1967-68 *
How about the v8 gm Toro flow ever run into one of them?
Several, there were quite a few around here as farm trucks.
I know a guy who is a wizard with engines and likes old junk, he has a Toro flow in a pickup. He said it may be the only *something* can't remember, still running. I think it's a V6. I think he said it was very hard finding all the parts for the injection pump. It is a rotary bosch mounted facing up in the front of the vee IIRC. Probably similar to that pic above.
About 10 mpg.
GMC Toro Flow---Might be related to the famous Toro Dingo. *
They still haven't figured out that throwaway junk is the worst for emissions and material waste. Want to save the environment? Build reliable products that aren't ready for the torch after a year. I'm looking at you, 777G. My other job has five of the things and on any given day maybe two are runnable. We've taken to running 789Bs (that the 777Gs were intended to replace) with five figures on the meter until the wheels fall off, blowby and bad head gaskets be damned. But the new junk meets EPA standards, so we're saving the planet all right!
I was cleaning out the refrigerator and found a sticker in it that says it was made in august 1994. Friend that works in a furniture appliance store says if you get 10 years out of a new refrigerator your doing good.
I think I just caught a whiff of that shop refrigerator that hasn't been cleaned in 20 years smell . . . But anyway, your 1994 refrigerator just keeps food cold, that's it, nothing else! What good is that? It doesn't dispense 3 kinds of ice, no filtered water, the door doesn't light up and let you see inside when you touch it and there are no LED lights! It just keeps food cold for 30 years . . .
Got a circa 1951 Kelvinator in the shop--still keeps things cool.
Some of these new refrigerators have more tech in them than I have in my entire house.
I'm pretty sure all new appliances are set up for IOT or internet of things.
I had an old frost free that was quite inefficient at my house years ago. Came across about a 2002 model for sale used out in the rain, bought it, still my main kitchen fridge now. Has side by side, ice dispenser. All I need. A couple years in, it quit cooling. I dug into it and found that the start relay on the compressor had died. Bought a replacement, it came with 4 different parts inside so covers all models. Used the one that fit, saved the other 3, probably adapt one if it dies again but it never has. At work, somebody came across a standard fridge, with inside ice maker, by the side of the road in the industrial area where they leave pallets and stuff. Took back to shop, hired man took it apart and bleached the mildew out of it. Fired it up and been running since including making ice. A while in the floor iced up of the freezer. These things have a defect where the drain does not get thawed by the heater. Fixed by putting a piece of #12 copper down the drain hole and wrapping around the heater. I have a third, garage fridge at home that had the same problem. Works fine now that it's fixed. Also got it mildewy, the guys wife saw mildew and declared it needed to be thrown out. I have to wonder how many fridges get thrown away for minor issues like these, that could be fixed. I have a fourth one in the mezzanine at the shop as a spare because I know I could never afford to buy one. Sitting in a customer's yard for years, he gave it to me. When I got it the freezer fan was rusted up from being out in the rain for years. Drove rotor out of stator from fan motor, scraped rust with a knife, lubed bearings, reassembled, worked fine for years until it became a spare.
Mine used to freeze up all the time and I'd thaw it with the a hot dryer, turned off the ice maker and it quit doing it. After 5 years or so I turned the ice maker back on. Good fridge from 2010 I feel like I just messed up talking about it.
A closer look at diesel emissions From youtube Commercial Carrier Journal from youtube Jan 26, 2023 The amount of sulfur in diesel fuel is directly linked to the amount of pollution produced when the fuel is burned in an engine, and I know that’s true because I got it directly from the EPA, and the government cannot be wrong. But since most diesel fuel is marketed as ultra-low sulfur, why are we in this perpetual state of diesel engine refinement when it comes to emissions? Pollution from diesel exhaust includes soot (or particulate matter); Oxides of nitrogen (NOx), which contributes to the production of smog; Hydrocarbons; and Carbon monoxide. You’ve probably heard all those words several times over the course of the last several weeks as we’ve seen EPA action and proposals that seek to slash NOx and soot levels in the near future. “Emissions” is kind of a blanket term that covers a lot of things; basically everything that comes out of the exhaust stack. We’ve invited Shawn Whitacre, senior staff engineer with Chevron Lubricants, to join us again this week on the 10-44 with the hope that someone that’s as smart as he is can explain to the rest of us why NOx and particulate matter are regulated separately, and what this all means for clean air and the fleets that buy and drive diesel trucks? Contents of this video 00:00 Diesel emissions 02:14 Combustion, emissions, and particulate matter 04:00 NOx and particulate matter 07:32 Engine compliance 09:01 New oil formulation standards
I just gagged . . .
Toro Dingo= Bulldog= Mack?
Still rocking a Kenmore from '95, fan makes a little racket once in a while but freezer still keeps ice cream frozen and fridge keeps the Old Milwaukee at optimum drinking temperature. Swedish bikini team dropping in next weekend for maple fest.
Seems like 1995-2005 was about the pinnacle of manufacturing anything before they figured out how to make things break just out of warranty.
Toro Dingo=Mut=Volvo