Hey all. Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'm trying to install an accessory drive that someone else has put in out of time, making my valve adjustment markings off. I've removed the rubber plug in the front gear cover and can see the cam/idler gear mating teeth. I have marked the "v" tooth that mates with the accessory drive gear. Now I'm assuming that I need to have the cam gear timing marks aligned, then install my accessory drive while lining up those timing marks. Problem is, I've turned this engine over till I have blisters on my hand and still haven't got the cam gear timing mark to line up with the idler gear timing mark. Does this engine take 9 million revolutions before those marks will finally line up? I know they eventually will, but man this is killing me. Is there another way anybody knows of? Thanks for any help!
If I remember correctly, it takes 21 revolutions for the timing marks to align from one to another. I don't know why they chose a hunting tooth pattern. The only other way to truly know is to pull the front cover and start from scratch. I would suggest pulling cam and crank sensors to watch for #1 window on each trigger wheel, but you could still be a tooth off.
Ok, well if it's 21 then I've got to be getting close. I'll get back after it today. Thanks!
Just keep in mind it's been over 15 years I'm old and I have forgotten a few things
Ha ha no problem.
I got it finally. 21 revolutions might have been about right. Thanks!
At least you got it. Good deal.