Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins NHBI 185

Durango1917_2 · 2023-06-12 14:20

Hello, I have a Cummins NHBI 185 from 1978 that I need to find valve cover gaskets for and o rings for the fuel injectors. I have a leaking fuel injector and I am having a hard time finding parts for it. There is no CPI number on the tag on the injection pump but it has a Ref number of WTR 07195. All the parts guys from Cummins want a 8 digit engine number but all I can find is a 6 digit number which is 475709. Everyone is stumped as it seems to not be a common engine like the 855. I have two of these engines which are in a GE 50 tonner. It is a small industrial switcher. The locomotive got repowered in the late 70s. Does anyone know the part numbers or have a access to a parts book for it? Is this engine the same as the 220 parts wise? If so I could then just get parts from the 220 then. The local Cummins dealer wants the 8 digit number and will not look up parts off model number and year. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it! Thank you for reading!

Replies37
  1. #1kshansen2023-06-12 15:14

    Just a wild guess check out this link to see if it looks like the valve cover gasket you need: CSSNA Community Also note that there is some contact information down at the bottom of the page you could try to see if you get any response from that. Wish I had grabbed all the old parts books and service manuals before I retired, they probably ended up in the dumpster by now! If the url does not show just click on the words below the top sentence, where it says CSSAA Community!

  2. #2mekanik2023-06-12 17:46

    Can you post pictures of the engine.

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-06-12 17:55

    NH stands for New Head-4 valve, NHB is 673 cu.in. 5 1/8 bore X 6 stroke. Basically a 220 rated at 185. * As mekanik says-a few photos would be nice-because of the many variations of Cummins engines. CPL's didn't start till early 70's. So Cummins people will have zero clue.

  4. #4Durango1917_22023-06-12 19:41
  5. #5Durango1917_22023-06-12 19:44

    I can go back to get more as I realize they are not great. Its hard to get a good photo of the engines door to the access doors.

  6. #6kshansen2023-06-12 20:00

    Need to find an old timer like I used to deal with locally. As 95% of the cummins engine I worked on were off-highway or industrial engine most of the parts guys had no clue about correct part numbers. Then there was Chuck he could **** you off bigtime with the way he answered the phone, " Yea! what do you want !" I learned fast that all I needed to do is say Hi! Chuck this is Ken. His tone changed like flipping a light switch! If I needed some gaskets that were not in gasket sets all I needed to give him was raw casting numbers off one or two of the parts . A couple days latter the correct ones would show up via UPS!

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-06-12 21:11

    It's a NH 220-- for parts interchange. Fuel injection shop should be able to handle the injector o-ring issue, valve cover gaskets are available aftermarket. The I used with NHBI is for industrial. Diesel Cast West for hard parts M&D /Middle Distributors for soft parts, Middle Distributors owns both. Worth a try.

  8. #8mekanik2023-06-12 22:53

    No its a derated NH-250 5 1/5" bore. The NH-220 had six 3/4" head bolts per head the NH-250 had twelve 11/16" per head.

  9. #9kshansen2023-06-13 06:56

    I think you meant to say NH-250 5 1/8 bore. A picture showing the valve covers would also help to be 100% correct. Or just count the number of bolts holding the valve cover on. If I recall the NH-220 only had three and the NH-250 5 1/8 bore had six. I just check that should say the 5 1/8 bore engines used 5 valve cover bolts!

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-06-13 08:28

    That's correct. And that's correct. I missed the head bolt count. * I shouldn't have missed that for the simple reason--I have/own a complete NH250 with a drop back exhaust manifold. I will get a photo of it this morning.

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-06-13 09:54

    And I get to correct myself again-mine is a NT-280-855 built 2-13-1964. Loosing my mind. * It would be helpful to have a photo of left side of engine for injector pump and fuel line type. * NT-280.

  12. #12mekanik2023-06-13 10:06

    I was dissapointed when Cummins came out with the N14 and did not go with the old intake manifold. It just seems to add a touch of class to the left side of the engine.

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-06-13 11:31

    The only two parts that are worth while on that 280 above is the drop back exhaust manifold and the intake just because the adaptor on top for a cac. Bought the whole engine for $125, the exhaust is worth $450.

  14. #14mekanik2023-06-13 11:46

    I was cleaning out and rearranging my tool boxes after I retired. I found the cover plate for the intake manifold I used to cover the inlet with when the crossover pipe was removed to work on the engine.

  15. #15Mike L2023-06-13 18:46

    OP, I gotta ask. your profile says you’re from California. How in the world are you allowed to run a tier zero engine there?

  16. #16Truck Shop2023-06-13 21:15

    Locomotive Fact Sheets | California Air Resources Board The In-Use Locomotive Regulation was approved by the Board on April 27, 2023. The In-Use Locomotive Regulation (Regulation) will achieve emission reductions from diesel-powered locomotives and increase the use of zero-emission (ZE) technology. ww2.arb.ca.gov

  17. #17Durango1917_22023-06-15 18:01

    I will take a picture of the head when I have time. The clean air act does not take into effect yet but this locomotive is part of a museums collection. The locomotive was built in 1939 and falls under the historic locomotive part of the law.

  18. #18Durango1917_22023-06-15 18:02

    That is looking pretty darn close!! When I get a chance I will take better photos of the sides and the top of the head!

  19. #19Truck Shop2023-06-15 19:32

    Here's the interesting part, you say these switch engines were repowered in the 70's? And these switch engines were built in 1939. So the big question is-did those switch engines come with Cummins power when built? Very well could have been and with that probably powered by the rare early Cummins HB series. These were not crossflow cylinder head design such as all the later Cummins engines. The intake and exhaust were on the same side of the head. The engines in those switcher loco's just possibly could have been slightly older.

  20. #20kshansen2023-06-15 20:27

    Wish I could recall what Cummins engines were in a switcher locomotive I worked on for one of the companies quarries years ago. Did an in chassis overhaul on one of the two engines. Seems it was last at a small rail museum not too far from here. If memory is correct it was supercharged NOT Turbocharged!

  21. #21mekanik2023-06-15 20:41

    I was at a railway museum in Washington years ago. They had a similar switch engine that was powered by a Wakashaw gasoline engine.

  22. #22Truck Shop2023-06-15 20:49

    The reason I say those repowered switch engines could have been powered by Cummins when built and repowered the same-it was the easiest. Most things would fit up. IMO it's easier to stay with the brand it came with.

  23. #23bccat2023-06-15 22:54

    I remember that we had some early Cummins L engines in our GE 80 ton locomotives,

  24. #24Durango1917_22023-06-16 17:45

    Yes it did have Cummins Engines when built. I can look into if we know what model it had when built if we know.

  25. #25Truck Shop2023-06-16 19:12

    Cummins HB below, note the disc injection pump, and intake is on right side with exhaust. *

  26. #26mekanik2023-06-16 19:31

    That engine was around for a lot of years it eventually evolved into the N14. The picture below the engine ran a big winch that is behind it and was pat of an A frame for pulling logs out of the ocean to supply a saw mill. The salt air has taken its toll.

  27. #27Truck Shop2023-06-16 20:01

    My only idea about it is how early were the engines in those loco's. https://www.cummins.com/news/2016/04/20/rediscovered-1939-cummins-hb-engine-gets-new-life

  28. #28oarwhat2023-06-17 08:19

    We ran a few Oshkosh snowplows from the 50's. I think most had HF Cummins in them. We lost one when an oil pump hose blew. We got a replacement engine I thought was an HB but I don't remember that injection pump. Did later ones have a different pump? Also I tried to locate a progression on the Cummins engine models but couldn't find one. Do you have one? Thanks Randy

  29. #29Truck Shop2023-06-17 09:22

    I have never found a progressive list of engines starting from 1919. Just bit's and pieces here and there about the racing stuff mainly.

  30. #30Durango1917_22023-06-20 16:28

    I went down and took some more photos. Took the rocker arm covers off as well. The fuel line and return are internal and not external like those two pictures show.

  31. #31Durango1917_22023-06-20 16:30
  32. #32Durango1917_22023-06-20 16:31
  33. #33Durango1917_22023-06-20 16:35

    If you look at the picture of the close up of one rocker box, in the lower left you can see 2 lines go from one head to the next head. They are a upside u shape and I think that is the fuel line supply and return. At the end of the head you can see one line go from the fuel pump go to the head and the return is the larger hose that comes out the head to the fuel tank.

  34. #34Truck Shop2023-06-20 21:02

    That's the standard PT fuel system since 1963. Basically a 250 naturally aspirated, was a very common engine in the 60's.

  35. #35mekanik2023-06-21 07:40

    Its a younger one. It has 1/2" rocker arm adjusting screws. The early ones had 5/8" adjusting screws.

  36. #36Truck Shop2023-06-21 07:51

    Got to remember those are repower units, probably cummins built. The rockers also look to be the later narrow style, when built more than likely used the later rocker boxes. Just a guess.

  37. #37petepilot2023-06-21 15:40

    Looks very much like an industrial 380.basicly a 335 uprated .I still have the aftercooler off one I had