Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins NTC 400

glsahl ยท 2004-02-08 18:46

Owner wants to revive a 83 Pete we've had sitting for years.Has a Cummins NTC 400 big cam 2,that blows head gaskets like clockwork.Block's deck is bad.I've been told that the core is no longer acceptable by factory reman standards(obsolete).I'm looking at aftermarket possibilities,but our super has suggested repowering with a Cat.I'd prefer this option,but can't get any clear answers on the practicality of doing so.Adding to my concerns are the cost vs. truck's worth.I've done this sort of thing with smaller pieces,and wouldn't volunteer to do it again,but if the boss throws the money at it,what would stop me?

Replies2
  1. #1Steve Frazier2004-02-28 11:53

    I don't claim to be an expert in this area, but I drove trucks for 20 years in freight. Our company had a fairly good maintenance program and while the trucks were rotated out at about 15 years, they often had in excess of 500,000 miles on them. Even then, these trucks were as dependable as those that were only a few years old. You're correct in thinking you wouldn't regain the work and money invested in resale, but if plans are to keep the truck for a priod of time, the truck will earn the investment back in work provided. If the truck is in good shape and can be expected to perform for a number of years, it might be worth the investment. Adelman's Truck Parts is a source I've found that seems to have fair prices on used engines and truck parts. Take a look around and keep us posted on your progress.

  2. #2glsahl2004-02-28 17:55

    I've gotten some prices from an aftermarket dealer,and I think I can do this for less than 10K.Waiting for owner to decide on long or short block.We are doubling our dirt equipment,adding a trencher,three loaders and three excavators,so my time is going to be at a premium.Going with a long block would be faster,but I prefer doing the work myself.