Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins QSX15 oil pressure problems

Shimmy1 · 2024-05-24 17:07

2006 New Holland TJ530 pulls the 60' disc drill. Guy calls couple nights ago. Got a low oil pressure warning, so he stops. Warning alarm progresses to a danger, shutdown screen, so he proceeds to idle it for about a minute, and then kill it. We swap oil filter, no change, oil pressure sensor, no change, then hook up a mechanical gauge. No pressure. By this time, the engine has probably been run about 5-6 minutes after the alarm. Next morning, after considerable insistence from me, we go to the field with the RGN, another tractor, and the service truck. Get the drill unhooked, inside triples pumped up to 20 psi, and luckily the park brake release pump was able to catch oil so we could pump the brakes off. Pull it up onto the road, and onto the RGN and back to shop. This morning, pulled oil pump to find a split gear and drive gear spun off the shaft. Pulled the #1 rod bearing (it was accessible without pulling the windage tray), bearing looks perfect. Pulled valve cover, both cams and rollers appear to be ok yet. I honestly cannot believe it. Never have I ever believed an engine can run much beyond a minute or two with zero oil flow. Lucky I guess, and maybe our CNH No.1 10-40 oil is better than we give it credit for.

Replies7
  1. #1chidog2024-05-24 17:23

    Running with no oil pressure? Depends on the load and the oil. In the old days there was no such thing as pressurized oil systems on engines, nor did they splash lube then either, all open crank throws. And wow it looks like that gear wasn't even sintered like some are on some auto's. Or is it?

  2. #2ChuckRock2024-05-24 19:53

    Congrats on the hopeful save - Do you have an oil sample regiment on this machine? If not I would check out fluidlife. Great company with quick turn around.

  3. #38V712024-05-24 22:04

    I would drop the tray and check the mains and other bearings while you’re in there if you can access them in frame. Better safe than sorry. Spun mains are a bummer

  4. #4Shimmy12024-05-24 22:18

    I'm pushing to roll a new set in.

  5. #5pushbroom2024-05-25 01:38

    Never seen one split a gear like that. New oil pump should change up and no longer use shims to set backlash. I'd try to at least pull some more rod and main caps just to verify.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-05-25 11:07

    Everything I read online says that if you have a pinned pressure regulator, it has to be shimmed correctly, but a screw-in is a maybe?

  7. #7pushbroom2024-05-26 01:45

    Pinned is shims. Threaded is no shims, just install pump.