Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins V504C leaks a lot of oil from front end at high RPM

ichudov ยท 2015-09-21 18:51

I have an old Grove RT60S crane with a Cummins V8 engine V504C. Unfortunately, at high RPM (set with throttle) the engine starts leaking copious amount of oil somewhere from the transmission side. Now sure what causes the leak, we power washed the top and it is not from the top, and it is hard to see on the bottom. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1DB22015-09-21 20:56

    We had a 555 Cummins that did the same thing and we pulled the drive off to change the rear seal only to discover it wasn't the culprit. Its been along time but I believe there was a cup plug at the rear end of the camshaft that was leaking. Again its been along time but I remember it definitely not the rear main.

  2. #2ichudov2015-09-21 21:11

    OK, thanks. Do you think that I would need to pull the trans from the engine to find out?

  3. #3DB22015-09-21 21:31

    You may have to. Not sure about inspection covers etc. One of those remote cameras may be of benefit here.

  4. #4ichudov2015-09-28 18:40

    lifted this tank today. Better lift planning, still bad techniques, was too careful and too close to the cab, whacked my horn with this tank. But it worked out okay,. The tank is carbon steel outside, cork in the middle, stainless inside.

  5. #5td25c2015-09-28 19:51

    Crane seem to handle the load ok & all functions good ? What do think the tank weighs ? Looking at the picture guessing around 8,000 lbs assuming it's empty .

  6. #6ichudov2015-09-28 21:32

    I think that you are spot on with the weight. I have a tank weight calculator that takes dimensions and shell thickness and gives me the weight of the tank. It takes the guesswork out of the equation. This is a double hull tank. I thought it was also about that much. Everything was good. I figured out that I had a swing brake PEDAL and also a swing brake PARKING BRAKE. I also leveled the crane. That took out a lot of stress related to unwanted swinging of the house. Tomorrow I will need to drive this crane with the tank hanging in front of it. I thought I would put a used tire in front of the crane and carry it close to the body. Any suggestions?

  7. #7td25c2015-09-28 22:03

    Glad to hear the crane is working good ichudov.:thumbsup I have some equations I use when dealing with steel & unknown weight on a lift . Just from the picture you posted I was guessing the double wall tank was between 5 to 6 foot in diameter and about 20 foot long . Old truck tire sounds good for a buffer between the load and crane . Might even throw some ratchet straps around the tank to each outrigger beam when moving with the load .

  8. #8ichudov2015-09-28 22:36

    Thank you. I will definitely use straps to prevent swinging. This is a good idea. Also, your manuals were very helpful. Thank you. By the way, the engine is leaking, but not in a major way now that I opened an opening for blow-by air to come out, and go easy on the engine RPM.

  9. #9td25c2015-09-28 23:30

    Hey ..... About the oil leak . Almost sounds like the engine has to much oil in it . Any possibility of that ? Had that happen with our motor scraper one time . Turned out we were overfilling the engine crank case by one gallon . At a high RPM it would blow a stream of oil out on the ground from the blow by tube until we figured out we had simply overfilled the engine .

  10. #10ichudov2015-09-29 19:25

    I doubt that it is the cause, because it kept on leaking even when low on oil. I now check it daily or even more often. But it is usable. I just put a pan under it. Also... What is the normal air pressure in the air brake system? Something like 100-125 PSI? I think that the governor may be messed up.

  11. #11kshansen2015-09-30 06:47

    Any chance of posting a picture of the leaking area? Is air pressure high or low? Could be a bad governor or bad unloader valve, or even a bad air compressor, or .... need more information on what the problem is! 120 PSI is more or less standard.

  12. #12ichudov2015-09-30 17:20

    It has four problems related to the compressed air systems. 1. The foot treadle brake valve was leaking air copiously. I already ordered a replacement at ACME truck brake (local truck store) 2. The throttle valve is also leaking air, will be looked at when I finish the project. 3. The pressure rises not to 125 PSI, as I would expect, but to 150 PSI and the gauge tops out. Probably a bad governor. 4. The compressor is leaking some motor oil, not too much though. I feel that we can fix all these problems, but they need some effort and $$$

  13. #13kshansen2015-10-01 09:35

    When you pick up the treadle valve I'd get an air governor at the same place, they should have plenty of them on the shelf. One thing to check is there should be a small line from air tank to the governor. Unhook it while you have air pressure to be sure it is letting air from the tank get to the governor. It is possible that this line is plugged or pinched off somewhere causing the problem.

  14. #14ichudov2015-10-01 20:14

    This is a great point about that line. The air system on this crane is generally full of crud.

  15. #15ichudov2015-10-03 10:08

    Did some more work yesterday. More picking tanks, and I also did "pick and carry". We tied the tank to the crane so that it would not swing wildly. Those tanks, being scrap metal, are good material to practice craning.