we have a 560 isx cummins in a compressor that has gave up. I am being told that it blew #6 injector completely out of the head. has anyone heard of one doing this ? I find that statement very hard to believe. owner says cummins is telling him that there is no possibility of rebuilding it.
Rebuilding what? Can't you just put a new head on it?
this is a qsx 560 i mislabeled it have no more info than what i`ve posted
My father who was a field service technician for the Cat dealer for decades always referred to them as Cummaparts He had a picture of one cut completely in half from a failed rod save for the head Alway made him laugh to look at it
And I've always referred to this shade of yellow as Scaterpillar
Jeez, I cant believe that cheesy plastic insulation cover didn't hold it together.
JB Weld!
I'll see your in-line 6 and raise you a 3516..... In addition to the block even the RH camshaft on this one was broken in 2 pieces, and not at the bolted joint just in case anyone asks. The crankshaft was good to go again though, and 15 heads......
I tried to find the picture of the 3408 we had that a few months after a major rebuild by the Cat dealer puke a rod out on the ground and cut block in half and sucker punched the starter almost in half, I know I have it somewhere but not finding it right off. Never got a picture of the 12V-71 that snapped a rod while running at 1,800 rpm under load running a generator. Water down the stack is not good for a Detroit con. rod!
Yeah , plastic and tin, it's all so cheap and poor quality nowadays
No rain flap or baloney cut on that stack pipe
Early eighty's I was working construction in Seattle, one afternoon a W900 was brought in on the lowboy to the shop. When we unbolted the head on the 1693 that was in it the block and crank fell in two pieces.
I blew a rod once in an old '77 GMC with a 400 small block, had about 6 cars on my rear bumper when it went and sawed the pan in half. I doubt it changed their minds about tailgating.
Customer came in at a shop close to us with a complaint of air not building. Flipped the hood to find a rod knocked the air compressor off the block. Not a complaint about a loud noise or oil leak though.
Saw a 3408 in a D-9N do exactly the same thing.
Them SB 400's with the siamese bores were never a motor that had longevity. Had a customer that had one, one cold morning he set the coke and hit the starter. Went on high idle and immediately tossed a rod through the side.
I built two 400s that weren't bad, reamed the steam holes to 5/16" (iirc) used a set of 463 (?) cylinder heads for an early 70's 350 with the steam holes drilled to match the block. 268 cam with an Edelbrock SP2P manifold and a good Holley spreadbore carb. If you stayed below 4,000 rpm they ran pretty good. I would have liked to try balancing the bottom end.
This monster was doing a acceptance test run, < 2 hours in. Seems #1 main shells were installed Opposite, U-L and L-U, starved the journal.
Wow, that's a huge Oops.
Was ALL on Cat Power Gen as they were doing the initial run in when it turned loose!! Only knocked once, then the little fire, then lots of SMOKE!!! Everybody got all 'Cited and scared and stuff!! I looked thru the door and started laughing!! This was laying in the floor.
When one has gone bang like that, laugh is pretty much all you can do .......
So, that thing broke the wrist pin and exited the crankcase. That's pretty cool, for a 'CAT'astrophe lol
Was pretty much a exploding Cats asstrophy!! Only knocked once, put a hell of a dent in the house wall.