Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Curb and Gutter Machines

CM1995 ยท 2007-04-07 14:46

These machines still amaze me even though I have seen them operate many times. These guys are subcontractors that do all of our curb, gutter and inlet top work. It took 1 day to string the lines and grade the subbase, which they did earlier in the week. They started at 6:00am, poured about 3500 LF of curb and were loading the machine up on the lowboy at 12:30.

Replies56
  1. #1CM19952007-04-07 14:49

    A pic of the finished product. I knew better than to do this but don't take your dog with you to the jobsite when there is fresh poured curb on the ground.LOL

  2. #2PSDF3502007-04-07 15:25

    I like that, comes out nice.

  3. #3wrenchbender2007-04-07 16:48

    Well I've been around and worked on a lot of stuff but I ain't never got to see one of these in action before. Thanks for posting the pics BTW that is a lot of concrete in 6 & 1/2 hours no coffe break huh?

  4. #4CM19952007-04-07 18:55

    Hope you get to see one in action it's pretty darn neat. I have never put a stop watch on it to see how many LF per minute they can do but it's fast. Next pour we have I will find out. Thanks PSDF350.

  5. #5Wulf2007-04-07 18:59

    That's great stuff CM1995 real interesting... I don't know much about paving... any idea who invented that process and is that technique replacing preformed concrete curbing?

  6. #6CM19952007-04-07 19:12

    Thanks Wulf I don't know who invented it but the machine they were using was made by Miller Formless. Probably Gomaco is the largest manufacturer of slip form machines. Are you refering to precast curb or hand formed curb? We will hand form small curb jobs like commercial buildings and small parking lots. As far as precast curbs I don't know if I have ever seen them used around these parts, although I have seen them in Europe. On subdivision jobs the slip form method is far superior to anything else. Down here in the south we don't have to worry about frost heave so the curb can be poured continuous with expansion joints troweled in. Is it any different in the colder climates to the north?

  7. #7pushcat2007-04-07 20:19

    Those self-propelled curb mules are sweet. The one I used to run we had to set paver forms and it would ride on them. It would still slipform the curb itself though. Some curb mules have a trimmer on the front before the slipform. Just leave the grade a little high and it augers the extra material to the side. Saves a lot of time and work fine grading. We always just cut the expansion joints with a softcut saw.

  8. #8Dozerboy2007-04-08 00:07

    IIRC its a bad day if they don't get in 3,000' a day. What odd is here a lot of crub is done by hand and IMO looks like crap compared to what a machine does.

  9. #9CM19952007-04-08 10:29

    This particular machine has a hydraulic trimmer and auger mounted in front of the slip form. If you look at the close up pic you can see the auger. I agree the machine does such a better looking job but sometimes you can't get the guys with the machine to fit into your schedule for a small job and we have to do the old fashioned way. :Banghead

  10. #10Steve Frazier2007-04-08 11:26

    I used to work on a crew that did asphalt curbing. That job sucked!! We had to put these forms in the rear corners of the truck hauling the curb mix so the mix would flow out the center tailgate chute. They were welded up steel forms with 3/4 plywood screwed to them, very heavy! It always seemed to be my job to get them in my truck. Then the mix had to be transferred by wheelbarrow to the curbing machine at a pace fast enough so the machine would not run out of material. What a miserable job that was!!! Up north here we don't often see gutters and curbs cast as a unit. Curbs are most often formed and they extend about 2' into the ground as poured concrete. Then asphalt pavement is installed from curb to curb, no concrete gutter.

  11. #11CM19952007-04-08 13:10

    Hot asphalt and a wheelbarrow are two things I try to avoid at all costs - much less put together! Interesting about the 2' deep curb. So these are usually hand formed? Do you dig out a trench and form up? Sorry for all the questions- I just curious. What is a typical road section for you guys? We usually have a 6:2:1. 6" dense grade base, 2" asphalt binder, 1" asphalt wear course.

  12. #12Orchard Ex2007-04-08 14:29

    One company I worked for put a salt auger on the back of the truck without the spinner assembly. We augered the asphalt out of the salt drop hole on the driver side into a mini version of a concrete chute and into the curb machine. Still needed some shoveling in the truck bed but it was much better than the hand method. I agree that asphalt curbing was not much fun.

  13. #13Steve Frazier2007-04-08 14:41

    The curbs are trenched, and most companies who do this work have curb forms made up. They are wooden forms with 3/4" rebar bent in an inverted U over the top of them to hold the proper distance between front and rear of the curb. On curved sections they use a pliable wood to form the curve. When the curbs have hardened, they "wash" the curbs with a cement wash for cosmetic appearance.

  14. #14Dozerboy2007-04-08 21:52

    We do a lot of stand alone curb like Steve talked about, but its 15" most of the time without bar. We cut grade just as if it was C&G roads all very with the material generally 6 on 4. I have never seen this crub done but by hand.

  15. #15Pigseye2007-04-19 23:32

    Curb machines Anybody ever work with or around one of these just trying to see others opinions like how simple they are was thinking about buying one ..... http://www.leeboy.com/showcontent.aspx?id=174 Thanks Paul

  16. #16surfer-joe2007-04-19 23:46

    Good pics. I liked the comment about the dog too. For those of you that take your best mutt along with you near an asphalt job, don't let it get onto the hot asphalt. It takes a moment, then the dog gets the damnest look on it's face and limps off, trying to get all four feet into the air at once. Worst part is that it can blister the dogs paws, and sticky asphalt balls are a real humdinger to cut out from between an uncooperative dogs toes. New curb and gutter slipformers are the cat's meow, wish I'd had one back in the day!

  17. #17ConstSite2007-04-20 00:23

    That Leeboy isn't really good for too much. I was around one for a couple of days last winter in California. Maybe I am just used to a Miller, but it was like using a Toro Dingo to dig a basement instead of a Caterpillar 963. You would be better off using plastic, steel and some pins. You would actually be better off just not doing curb and gutter. Why are you interested in doing this? - Christopher

  18. #18Pigseye2007-04-20 00:30

    What was wrong with it Chris? We were thinking of getting into the smaller slip form jobs say under 5000 feet, short runs, and commercial work...do you do construction here in MN. Paul

  19. #19Pigseye2007-04-20 08:54

    I was just curious I guess wild idea by a friend of mine

  20. #20CEwriter2007-04-20 11:48

    Seems to me there are two macro categories of curb-and-gutter machines -- those with subgrade trimmers and those without. Lots of sizes and variations within those categories. The Leeboy is the biggest of the trimmerless machines. Here's a story about what's available in the curb-and-gutter market that gets into more detail about the capabilities of machines http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA495887.html?industryid=23401 L

  21. #21oakland2007-10-04 17:59

    wow they do such a good job

  22. #22CM19952007-10-04 20:20

    I have another job coming up with about 4200LF. We should be getting the curbing contractor in next week to set string line. I will get some more pics when we pour.

  23. #23CM19952007-10-17 10:57

    Well, the guys started at 6AM this morning and it is 10AM now with 75% of the job already poured. Pretty neat stuff. Pic #1 - Starting the pour after they skipped over an inlet box. #2 - The auger head in front of the mold. This is run automatically from the string line guide. #3 - Conveyor for the concrete to dump into the hopper.

  24. #24CM19952007-10-17 11:00

    The finished product.

  25. #25dumptrucker2007-10-22 20:35

    You don't see much concrete curbing in our area. They mostly use granite curbing around here. Stands up the the plows real well. Have to admit the concrete does look nice though.

  26. #26T&SCONCRETE2007-12-18 23:54

    Curb & Gutter In Minnesota We have a 5 man crew, operator, chuteman, and 3 finishers behind the machine. ointhead nice clean first pour of the year.. This is a 1988 gomaco 3300 GT, we are getting more into curb & gutter now then ever, we can average about 3k lf of curb & gutter a day , with this trim and pour machine. Most jobs around here average from 1000lf to 30,000 lf per job, and there is alot of competetion in this area..:Banghead

  27. #27Countryboy2007-12-19 02:28

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums T&SCONCRETE! :drinkup

  28. #28ConstSite2007-12-19 16:44

    Welcome T&S CONCRETE! What part of Minnesota are you in? You are correct about the competetion in curb/gutter, but I hear that there are 2 or 3 curb contractors not returning for 2008 (from around the Twin City area). - Christopher

  29. #29T&SCONCRETE2007-12-20 08:32

    Curb & Gutter In Minnesota I'm Not Sure Who's All Not Returning For The 2008 Season In The Minneapolis Area, There Are Alot Of Curb Machines In That Area. We Are Located In The West Central Mn Area, Benson Minnesota. On Most Jobs We Are Bidding Against 4-6 Rivals Depending On Where We Travel To. Gets Pretty Monotanous At Times When Your Tryin To Make Money And Keep Any Rework Down When You Have So Much Competition.

  30. #30wattson2008-03-07 20:41

    It is good to see other make of slipform machines in operation. Around my area (pennsylvania) Power Curber is pretty much the machine of choice .

  31. #31CM19952008-03-07 20:49

    Welcome to the Forums Wattson. Mr Country Boy will be along shortly to give you the proper HEF welcome. Most of the curb and gutter contractors around my parts use either Gomaco or Miller Formless. I don't believe I have seen a Power Curber in action.

  32. #32Countryboy2008-03-07 21:05

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums wattson! :drinkup

  33. #33wattson2008-03-08 13:53

    Thanks for the welcome. Mostly around my area,there is a lot of smaller jobs such as mall plazas, housing plans, and little add on projects.3000 feet or less . For the larger scale jobs, Gomacos and Millers are usually used. Mainly the General contractor that has the whole job does this in house. Not too many sub-contractors on these large scale, state /federal funded jobs.Thanks again for the welcome

  34. #34wattson2008-03-08 14:16

    As I have been running the 5700b Power Curber for some time(8 years plus) I am trying to do this for myself. Finding a good machine to start out with is a little more harder than I thought. Money being an issue for start up. Just have to watch where the money goes.

  35. #35WestConstInc2009-01-28 18:25

    Leeboy Curb Machine New here, but was looking at the LeeBoy Curb and gutter machine. What are the cons about it? It seems like a good machine for small jobs and parking lots. I dont here a lot about the small machines, seems like everyone has a large gomaco or miller around here (WI). Thanks

  36. #36Antique Homes2011-02-20 10:43

    Interest I love to find out the cost of the kerb and gutter machine and if there is a smaller version. Or is there any smaller machine, same design, you can recommend

  37. #37Geoquip2011-08-13 17:39

    Hi,I'm new here,very interested in starting the slip forming business here in Trinidad,there's nothing like that here.I am aiming exclusively at the highway divider configuration,as I think it can be very lucritive here. I have contacted a few manufactures for good used machines,but they insist that it would cost me over 100k for a suitable ready to work used machine and training. Can someone recommend where I can get a good dedicated efficient set up to carry out this task.I am actually ready to purchase a machine and recieve training for less than 100k? All my prospective jobs would be mostly straight, level gently curving highway,there must be something for me out there for less than 100k.. Please help,itching to go!!!

  38. #38curb guy2011-08-13 22:51

    geoquip, having been in the curb business for 20+ years myself, my father started the business around 1963, I will tell you do not settle for one of those "toy" curb machines. Gomaco, power curber and miller formless all make fine machines. I have been running Miller formless machines for over 20 years and can say that they are the top of the line.the small machines are just too light and flimsy. If you're serious and, I mean serious about getting into the curb business you have to have a machine that will handle it. The small machines do look attractive if you don't know what you're looking at (no offense). We had been hand forming our curb until around 1990, then I ,like you started looking at machines. Trust me when I tell you that I looked at ALL of them. I found the miller formless was far superior to anything on the market. The people there are top notch and very helpful. If you contact them they can help you track down a good used machine. Anything I can help you with let ne know. Good luck.

  39. #39Geoquip2011-08-15 09:28

    Hey bro,thanks for your reply,yeh I'm very serious and ready for training and to purchase,those machines that you mentioned are exactly what I'm looking for,do you think I can get a good ready to work efficient one for less than 100k?Also am I wrong in thinking that this could make a fortune doing barriers??

  40. #40curb guy2011-08-15 10:53

    6 or 8 years ago,both of my Miller M-1000's were cash machines but, with the economy the way it is and, more companys bidding on fewer jobs,the market has turned to ****.Overhead is not as bad in the curb business as it is with other trades but, you HAVE to figure out how to be absolutely the most efficient guy in whatever trade you're in.There was a huge learning curve, and there will be days you wonder what you've gotten yourself into,I know because I still do.You should be able to find a decent "micro machine", that is,one with a microprocessor vesus an analog system for around 100k. If you decide to go with a Miller which, I highly recommend, call and ask for Curt Jensen.Tell him Woody in Ohio told you to call,he'll know who you're talking about about.He has leads on almost every used M-1000 in the country.Oh yeah, you want a 'right hand' machine as opposed to a 'left hand' machine.I'm curious what curb is going for a foot in your area.I hope this helps.I don't have all the answers but,with over 20 yrs. running those machines I know a little about them. Glad to answer any questions you might have and again, good luck.

  41. #41Geoquip2011-08-15 11:48

    Curbguy,man you're really helpful,I'm in a whole different country,we are lacking dividers and it has resuled in many preventable road deaths,the contracters here only do metal rails and pre-cast barriers here,but supply and speed remains a big problem.I have never seen such a machine here in all my years as a iron head.Apart from the hundreds of miles of needed barriers,they just started a $1.5billion highway that is scheduled for completion in 3 years,I think a great opportunity awaits me,by the time we are establishing and making a name for ourselves with the existing roads,we should be the obvious choice for the big new highway.When that happens I would definately need help,I have already envisioned some Yanks on a couple machines already!!:cool2:cool2 Simply put,there's no competition at this time. Only the pre-cast slabs and they're clumsy and a logistical nightmare..

  42. #42curb guy2011-08-18 12:51

    Now, are you talking about curb/curb and gutter or, barrier wall, there is a HUGE difference between the two. Barrier wall/bridge parapet is a whole different animal.An M-1000 can pour up to I believe a 40'' high barrier. If you want to go taller, you will have to step to an 8100, which is considerably more $$$.

  43. #43Geoquip2011-09-12 09:00

    Looking for a good experienced guy to run a Power Curber 5700B doing barriers on a hot tropical Caribbean Island,decent housing and transport would be provided,lemme know asap!

  44. #44Geoquip2011-09-12 09:05

    Got a nice Power Curber 5700B with the right molds etc,thanks for the help.

  45. #45curb guy2011-09-12 23:58

    Alright, man! Sounds like you're gettin' all set up. Good luck and show us some pics when you get 'pouring'!!

  46. #46Geoquip2011-09-13 07:17

    Its in transit from NC to my country,was up there over the last 2 weeks completing sale,would upload some pics of it later.Can you hook me up with a guy who's willing to do a Caribbean stint,a guy who knows barrier work.Need a guy who can help us start up and work and teach other guys along the way,lemme know.

  47. #47Concrusher4342011-09-13 12:35

    Am interested did you get the b from southern equipment not sure if I have pm privileges yet

  48. #48Geoquip2011-09-13 16:22

    I got it through Tim Messinger from Curbfox,he arranged everything for me,including a little training and a couple site visits of machines in action.I took my foreman with me so he could learn about setting out and prepping sites etc. For now I'm the only one that knows how to move the machine etc.My machine is expected to land here in early October. I am aiming at large highway jobs for barriers and curbs.Planning a launch with a demo etc,probably a week after it arrives. Tell me a bit about yourself,including experience etc,in front of witnesses lol!! I would send you my email after,and we can discuss further.:cool2

  49. #49Concrusher4342011-09-13 17:53

    I am 3rd generation curb man I have been around p curbers since the early 80s. Have done setup on 4 machines and am gomaco schooled also I just returned from Haiti so am familiar with the hurdles in doing concrete in the tropics lol Am happy to provide a cv and references. I speak passable job site Spanish also is that enough in front of witnesses......lol

  50. #50Geoquip2011-09-13 18:22

    Great,no spanish here though,maybe you would have to learn passable English,lol!!!anyway,email me your stuff,and lemme know what you would be happy with as the main operator,I would provide very decent accommodation,a/c,cable,good appliances etc.I would also personally take you around until you get familiar,transport would be arranged after that,if things work out well,we can also look at a car or 4x4 p/up as well. [email protected]

  51. #51creteman2011-11-07 17:51

    have you found someone yet?i can run power curbers or gomacos.curb in the caribbean..sounds good to me...

  52. #52Geoquip2011-11-13 15:49

    Email me and tell me a bit about yourself at [email protected] ,looking forward to your email.

  53. #53Geoquip2012-01-23 17:51

    Guys,I still need that guy to come down,most of the guys who responded eventually backed out for some reason or the next,I have one guy who's taking forever to send me a simple copy of his ID's to start processing work permit,there are guys with no passport etc. Thankfully there is a bit of a delay with commencement of work,can a guy who's really interested in coming over,please contact me,and lets get this thing going,I have a factory man on standby to come over for a week or so when we commence,but I need an experienced guy or 2 from the states on my crew.I promise a fair salary,great accomodation,transport and socializing..

  54. #54pcm75002012-02-07 17:39

    Here is a unreal Curb Machine check this out www.phoenixcurbmachines.com

  55. #55pcm75002012-02-07 17:41

    Check this Curb Machine out only 3 days training www.phoenixcurbmachines.com

  56. #56Geoquip2012-04-30 14:03

    **bump** " Guys,I still need that guy to come down,most of the guys who responded eventually backed out for some reason or the next,I have one guy who's taking forever to send me a simple copy of his ID's to start processing work permit,there are guys with no passport etc. Thankfully there is a bit of a delay with commencement of work,can a guy who's really interested in coming over,please contact me,and lets get this thing going,I have a factory man on standby to come over for a week or so when we commence,but I need an experienced guy or 2 from the states on my crew.I promise a fair salary,great accomodation,transport and socializing.. "