I have several cut off saws that we dont use anymore due to lack of power. They still run fine and are good for cutting a little steel or rebar but not for using all day. The power just isnt there anymore. I have 2 stihl ts400 and 2 partner 760s. I want to see if it is worth it to rebuild these to get that power back. My question is what should i buy as far as parts? Especially since they are not blown. The kits arent really expensive compared to a new saw so i thought i would look into it Thanks
If the crank seals are good, a piston and cylinder are about $100. Tom
Are those the parts that would cause a lack of power if they were worn out?
Can you feel good compression with the pull rope? Or does rope pull easy with not much kick to it? Could also be a carburetor problem, mixture not correct for full throttle load. Carb mixture is really picky on those small engines.
Maybe not as strong as the newer ones. We do alot of sawing masonry where the operator will cut for 8 hours a day. There is nothing worse than running a weak saw for that long a period of time. I know its not the mix, we will use the same can to run all saws on the job and the newer ones will cut much better with the same fuel. They really only make a difference under a load. Maybe the carb could be an issue, i dont ever remember re building any of those...... I just assumed that a overhaul would be the difference i guess
Piston and rings I suspect. Try a compression check. Compression gauges are not that expensive and are not hard to operate. If you have low compression it would confirm top end rebuild. Make sure the air filter is clean too.
I have a compression gauge. What would an acceptable pressure be? All filters are new in these saws. Thanks
Sorry, I don't have those specs, and I could not find them on line. I'm sure your retailer would be wiling to give you that info.
We've got a bunch of TS400's and that's pretty much how they act when it's time for a "pot & piston". They'll start good, run normally, and cut fine for maybe 10 minutes tops. After that they just lose power until they pretty much useless. Set them down for 15 minutes, start it up again and it's good for another 5 minutes or so. and that's how they act when they're worn out. We also have a Partner K1200. Aside from the recoil, I don't think I've ever worked on that saw. They can't kill it.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a "Pot"? I will never buy another Stihl again after buying a new Husquvarna last year. That is the strongest toughest saw ever made! We ran it for a month straight 8 hours a day and never had a single issue, not even a filter change. Its still being used nearly every day with no issue. Dont get me wrong i think Stihls are pretty good, just not this good....
Pot & piston = new cylinder and piston kit with rings & base gasket. about $300 up here, you'll be able to pick one up for about $200 I bet
How is the air filter? We were informed the air filter is easily forgotten since the carburetor automatically compensates....but it cant make up for the reduced efficiency, only the ratio of fuel to air....if aircleaner continues to be forgotten, it could "cave in and tear" and release copious dirt into the engine.... Just curious