Just was wondering what you all use on you graders for widening. We are curentley on a job that has 2' widening. We are using 2 Cat 135H's with 3' sections of cuting edges that are made for are Volvo 180 loader and it is wearing 8" off the blades in just two to three days. Plus they don't cut all that well that's why we have the two graders.
G'day GPC, can you explain a bit more on what the job is, is it road widenings you are talking about, maybe battering banks, cutting through sand stone, widening road shoulders. how wide are the edges you are using when you put them on?
Michael James, yes sir the job is road widening. We take the graders and cut out a 2' wide by 6" deep trench that then we fill back up with asphalt. The stuff we are cuting through is a mixture of clay and sand but, for some reason is eating the cuting edges like crazy. The edges are 3' wide when we put them on but, after a coupple days you may have 2' of blade left.
I am no motor grader expert but have you thought about getting some Hardox or AR400 and blowing some holes in them to bolt up and use instead of the loader cutting edges? AR400 has more abrasion resistance and this might get you more milage.
GPC, any chance of posting some photos of your Cats and the edges, and the job that you are working on, everyone here loves looking at pictures.
No sir, we sure have not but, we will talk about it in the morning. Michael, I'm not sure if I'll be on that job at all tomorow. If I am I'll make sure and take some pictures.