Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cutting edges???

diggerop ยท 2012-03-12 19:30

Are they still called cutting edges when they're not being used as cutting edges.? http://englishrussia.com/2012/01/05/workhorses-of-the-country/

Replies6
  1. #1DPete2012-03-12 20:30

    I never liked to see that, for one reason it gives sticky material something to stick to, pretty soon the dozer is half full and won't shed. #2 it makes a nice machine look like hell IMO

  2. #2CM19952012-03-12 20:37

    Yeah it does look make them look a little "Mad Max'ish". However I can't see all the old cutting edges welding to the bottom of the buckets on the skids and 953.

  3. #3Chance2012-03-12 21:16

    Every time I've done , or seen done this, it was in high abrasive materials, which don't usually stick much anyways. Beats spending days and days welding with card surfacing rod IMO.

  4. #4DPete2012-03-12 22:00

    There are rolled skin plates available to re face, they cost money though.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2012-03-13 01:34

    Those skins cost money, and the old edges are good steel for the job, plus they are already paid for, so might as well use them up. I don't like to do it on a machine that works in sticky stuff like Dpete says, but in the pits pushing higly abrasive material, I will do it every time. My excavator buckets look the same way. Dozer side cutters are usually done this way. Also, the sides of loader buckets, as well as other places I will think of right after I post this.

  6. #6Nige2012-03-13 08:52

    Pure laziness in my opinion. Those dozer blades in the photo are already abrasion blades. You can see the top of the additional (replaceable) wear plate about 12" below the top of the blade. If I caught any of my welders doing that they'd be out the door in a heartbeat. We use rolled chrome-carbide overlay plate on all our dozer and grader blades, and we weld it in using wire feeders, not electrodes. At the end of the day it takes more welding time to install all that crap we see on the blade that it would be carve out the existing wear plate and replace it, in my opinion. Apart from the fact it's a bodge, what about the additional weight of all those old cutting edges on the blade, and it's effect on the lift cylinder life ...? Bet they didn't think about that. After all the problems I've seen with D9 & D10 lift cylinder seals I'd be reluctant to add any more weight to the blade. Do we use old cutting edges as wear material..? Absolutely. But we use them in areas where they are appropriate to be used and in a way that makes the material "tumble & roll" past the surface we are trying to protect instead of sliding across the face of it which causes wear. Believe it or not we are always looking for old cutting edges that we can use to protect buckets and such like. We never have any in the scrap pile.