We've got one of the import 7x12 bandsaws for our farm shop. I prefer running it with coolant vs dry. However since it doesn't get used a lot, the water in the coolant mix evaporates out. I usually add more water (distilled) and carry on. Every couple of years, I dump out the tank and start fresh. It is time to clean it again and I am out of the water-soluble fluid I used before. Wondering what I should go to? Would a light weight oil be a better option? (Less evaporation??) I was thinking maybe a light hydraulic/trans fluid?? Any thoughts? There are some oil-based cutting/tapping fluids that I can get, but I have no idea how thick/thin they are. This bandsaw has a small pump and pumps through 1/4" hose to 2 nozzles, so definitely don't want anything too thick! Andrew
I have not noticed any difference in saw blade life with or without coolant, if you set your feed so the chips are white and not turning gold or blue there is not much need for coolant and a lot less mess with out it. In a production application were time of cut makes a big difference in bidding a project or if they are cutting 4140 quench and temper or other materials that may be harder than 1045 or A36 then coolant may be a cost effective way to extend blade life. When I first got my Doall 9X16 saw I thought coolant was going to be great until I trashed a couple blades cutting square tube that had a hard spot in the weld seam, not that the coolant trashed the blades but it sure did not keep them from being trashed. Then the mess of the coolant running out both ends of the tubing is another problem. I do use coolant in my lathe and have tried the water based cutting fluid but I prefer regular antifreeze 50/50 mix, I is a rust inhibitor a decent lubricant and does not grow some of the harmful bacteria found in some water based cutting fluids.
That's a good question to ask! If you're not using your saw very often, chances are you'll end up fighting keeping the coolant system functioning anyway. If you plan on using it quite a bit, definitely use coolant. I prefer a water soluble synthetic oil. There are a million different kinds of fluids, but a general purpose water soluble mineral oil will do fine, and is relatively affordable. If your saw is subject to freezing, you can mix in antifreeze. Now there are factors not mentioned in this equation. If your saw does not have a drop speed regulator, you'll probably end up knocking out teeth before coolant will save you. I've seen blades get trashed in one day's use, and I've seen ones that seem to cut constantly for weeks on end in production. If it was my saw, I'd be doing the same as you. Add water as it evaporated, and when the coolant does not feel slippery or shavings start to rust or stick, add some more coolant. There is a lot more science to it than that, but for occasional use, it'll be fine. There are some import tool companies that have a pretty cheap coolant concentrate that will work great for a saw. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
My bandsaw is set up up for coolant and have never used it in 30 years or felt the need for it. If you don't have already, get yourself some bi-metal blades. Easy on the speed/feed and they will last a long long time.
I have a JET bandsaw that uses 3/4 x 93" blades. I use Lenox bimetal variable bands and no coolant. Got tired of the mess. Cut a bunch of 2 and 7/16' cold drawn shaft awhile back with no problems. Feed and speed, and the right tooth pitch for the job.
I wouldn't use the hyd oils you speak of …it'll gum things up …….. BUT ….. "Princess Auto" sells the stuff you need and mixes with water …. not too pricey either and They're in your Back Yard Too ! …. one of our metal fab shops uses only Anti-freeze in their band saws as well as their hyd milling/drilling machines …. cheers
Actually, the Princess Auto water-soluble oil is what we were using! Full strength anti-freeze? Or mixed with water? It doesn't rust the machine? Andrew
Good blades mean a lot in a saw, and watch not to bump into the start of the cut.
You Say "WERE" …. Why? ….. If it was me i'd go 50/50 on the Anti-freeze, at full strength it's pretty thick …. and No it shouldn't cause things to rust, just look at the insides of any engine, it's loaded with rust inhibitors
I said "were" because as I mentioned in my first post, I've run out and am looking for ideas on what to run in the system.... Hadn't thought about the rust inhibitors in anti-freeze! Andrew
This is the stuff we use in our bandsaws. We have noticed quite a difference in blade life. http://www.lubecorp.com/greencut/ We buy it here... http://www.lubeclean.ca/cutting-fluids-coolants/lubecorp-greencut-cutting-fluid Cheers, Mac