Anybody got any ideas on how to cut a 2" hole in a 12ft mine grade tire. They are 3 inches thick with steel wire running completely through the tire so they are not like a normal tire and just have rubber in one area. I have tried the obvious drill bits but the wire is far harder than a drill bit. The other thing i tried is a torch and although it worked it is crazy bad to be around. So im open to any ideas on how to do this. Also would a concrete saw with an abrasive wheel be able to cut something like this or would the rubber just gum up the blade.
Are you trying to damage an earthmover tyre so that it can never be used on a machine again, or for some other reason..? We used a reciprocating battery powered saw (Milwaukee IIRC) to cut chunks out of scrap tyres to make sure that they could not be used again.
Perhaps a hole saw with running water to cool and carry away the rubber.
I'd try a carbide grit hole saw. If you're using a hand drill, cut a piece of 2x12 oak and drill a hole through it to use as a guide. Anchor the 2x12 in place with a loader bucket set on top. and it might cut cleaner with hosspuller's water running on it, or a pump up sprayer with soapy water?
Another question. Are you trying to put a hole through the sidewall or through the tread..?
Nige is correct. I've cut several tires. Cutoff saw does not work. Sawzall with one guy on the trigger pressing down and another guy pulling the base in the direction you want to cut. Have fun and good luck
I've often wondered how the companies that make the dairy barn skidsteer **** scrapers cut them, must have a efficient way as they do it every day. Ed
I think most use equipment like this. I’ve personally seen this piece of equipment in action, and it works pretty slick. I’ve heard of a business around me that uses a similar setup, but the shear is a round piece of tubing with a sharp edge, rather than the flat blade shown in the video. It does what the OP is looking for. They make livestock tanks, and the hole is for plumbing. I have to wonder if that is what the OP is also using the tires for. I’ll try to find contact information for the business.
Absolutely needs water to cut effectively, not sure about the soap though. Never tried it that way.