Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cx130 elec. problem on screen

RIVERRUNNER ยท 2009-09-10 08:54

I recently purchased a case cx 130 with 1900 hours on it and have been running it all digging season. I shut it of over the long weekend and now it says I have a (elec. problem) on the computer screen and will not let me idle up. The local deal is not sure what is going on..... has anyone ever seen this before? We have checked the computer codes and they all come up with nothing wrong. I have replaced the alternator at the dealers request and that did not fix the problem. I have 24.4 volts at the alternator and 24.8 at the battery when idling. Looking for anyone else that has had similar problems or any ideas......thanks!!!!!

Replies12
  1. #1RIVERRUNNER2009-09-10 13:59

    I have been going through the diagnostics in the manual and have come to a place I never wanted to go.......COMPUTER.....I am not for certain because I had to skip a couple connectors that were higher in the pyramid but that last thing is disconnecting the harness at the computer and still I have the problem!>!>!>!>!>!>!>!>!

  2. #2roddyo2009-09-10 20:31

    Elec Problem Is that the machine I watched you buy back in the spring in WA? If it was me I would have the dealer check the injector pump. They are about the only weak spot in a cummins. I think they will throw an electrical code and not power up when there's a problem also. When you get the code can you disconnect the neg battery cable for a few minutes, hook it up and be OK? You also need to run the serial #'s and see if the motor is still under warranty. I think they had a 5yr/5000 hour on the engine. If you need anything just ask. If you are in a hurry my #'s on my web site. Roddyo

  3. #3Casetractorman2009-09-11 06:07

    same problem with my 9030b awhile back ..replaced bout everything ... even the computer ... turned out to be a bad RPM sensor .. do yourself a favor spend the $75 or whatever it is and replace it before torturing yourself and your wallet .. good luck and let me know

  4. #4Casetractorman2009-09-11 08:18

    Was guessing on the cost .. retails for about $150 straight CX130 (not a B) part #A187584

  5. #5RIVERRUNNER2009-09-16 20:01

    Well after 2 days of trying to diagnosis it I came to the point where I thought it was the computer....But I am not a case mechanic so I took it to the local shop and they are still working on it. I they found that ever since it was purchased at auction...the alternator light has been on, at idle, because of a diode that was missing between the cab and the back lid area(wires where clipped). They also found that the rpm sensor is bad and that is causing the engine to not run up past idle. So I am very happy!!! We will see what the bill is?!?!?!? Oh and I also bought a manual now so I am not blind when trying to work on that thing. ($210) I didn't think that was so bad!!!! I will post back when I know the details!!!!!!!! SPECIAL THANKS TO THE SITE AND EVERYONE THAT HELPED!!!!!

  6. #6gggraham2009-09-18 01:42

    The Elec Problem on the screen can also be a throttle cable problem. I see your problem was a speed sensor. However if the throttle cable physically jams the computer reads that you have turned the throttle dial to full rpm and the speed sensor is telling it that the speed is less than full throttle. So the dash will display the ELEC PROBLEM and idle down. A bad stepping motor will cause the same error. The alternator problem is common seen many with a bad or missing diode. The only other problem we see is the pressure senders on the pumps can go bad. Usually cause the engine to lug down. 90% of the time the customer will think it's an engine or fuel problem. Overall we have very few problems with the CX130's.

  7. #7RIVERRUNNER2009-09-18 14:22

    now the dealer is saying that it is the throttle motor that has failed....it is getting expensive!!!!!

  8. #8roddyo2009-09-18 17:06

    When did the Warranty go out on the Engine?

  9. #9gggraham2009-09-18 23:43

    Before you let the dealer replace a throttle motor disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle motor and disconnect it from the injection pump. Now see if you can easily push and pull the cable. If it does not move very easily replace it first before you even entertain a throttle motor. If the cable is tight replace it. There is a simple procedure to put the machine into the "learn" mode so that it calibrates the throttle properly.

  10. #10wamg2009-09-19 02:54

    two to go and I can post a thread

  11. #11RIVERRUNNER2009-09-20 00:29

    1year 2000 hrs

  12. #12komatsu772009-10-15 19:41

    27 I have been told a good alternattor should put put out 27v when running I some of them have a override system under the seat chack for that then try it??