Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CX80C in trouble

Tony Wells ยท 2025-08-24 23:30

Gentlemen, I have my hands on a Case excavator with some yet to be known performance issues. The operator tells that the machine "loses power" at times. Not predictable. Might get 15 mins out of it, might get 5 hours. History of the machine is that when new (bought for a specific job then sold), it was worked on under warranty for this issue, but was never fixed. I haven't had time to even get into the cab and see what is on the display, or whether I can get any codes or live data, or even if I can see the failure happen. Recently, Case guys came out and spent 4-5 hours on it with nothing concrete found, and were going to check for any TSB's on the machine. They never got back in touch. Meanwhile, it is parked in the yard and it is needed on a job....no surprise there. If anyone can check for TSB's, it might help. I'll get into the machine tomorrow and see what I can figure out and if it has any active or stored codes. The last tech seemed to think it was fuel related but the pressures he checked were fine. All filters including fuel have been replaced recently, and there was no change. It has been doing this for a long time, and now it has been decided to try fixing it. Case CX80C SN: DAC080K6NFS6B1427 It's a fairly new machine in very good shape, with low hours. I think it sat more than usual because of this problem. Would be nice to get it properly fixed.

Replies10
  1. #1Tony Wells2025-08-26 23:35

    No codes, smooth as silk. Cannot replicate op complaint.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-08-27 00:50

    Of course not. It will work great then suddenly die for no apparent reason. Those are the hardest to diagnose. Curious why it wasn't fixed on warranty no matter what it took if the problem was originally a warranty issue?

  3. #3Tony Wells2025-08-27 09:14

    As usual Dave. I asked the same question. The story I got was that the original owner bought the machine for a particular job, had this issue with the machine since new. He had the dealer look at it several times with no fix...then after the job he parked it. The current owner bought it knowing that bit of history, believing that it could be fixed. So it was put to work and (again as usual) it ran a while and the problem resurfaced. It has only 385 hours on it. I can send it back to the field and wait for it to happen again, but I hate to do that. Even if it does (which it will), I don't believe it will code, so I'll be in the same spot if the problem vanishes as it has done up until now.

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-08-27 16:47

    This is very similar to the poster with the ASV CTL that the dealer won't fix. Maybe calling Case corporate would get some results? I'm sure Case has dealer standards that have to be met.

  5. #5Tony Wells2025-08-27 22:33

    This is an awkward one. I don't understand why the original owner didn't pursue it. In my area, these little diggers are very popular, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with them. I might not be hearing it, but I figure if there was some common problem, all the techs would know about it. Two from the local dealer have looked at since this guy got it. I'm thinking you're right. Case would not like this (or shouldn't anyway) and their dealer isn't really working with me. The last tech came out and spent 3 hours or so and told me that he could duplicate it, but he didn't say how, and said he could not identify the problem. He was going back to the shop and consult their history on the machine, talk to the other guys, and check for any applicable factory help. I got nada. If I had a contact higher up the food chain, I would follow it up, gently. These guys are generally easy to work with and we get along fine. I certainly don't want to ripple their pond.

  6. #6SLK0012025-08-27 23:43

    I would say that problems like this are most likely an electrical problem. Things like a loose connector/connection and cracked solder joints on printed circuit boards. These things can break, then miraculously fix themselves during operation. I would start looking at any solenoid that controls hydraulic fluid flow (I have no knowledge of your machine). If you have two pumps, look at the solenoid that controls the combining of the two pumps and the wiring back to the controller.

  7. #7Tony Wells2025-08-28 00:21

    The only clue I have, and I'm not 100% sure I was told correctly, is that the problem occurs at higher machine temps. Ambient temperature plays no role, other than allowing the machine to warm up faster. When I say higher temp, I don't mean hot...just up to full temp as it would see working instead of idling.

  8. #8Universal Parts2025-08-28 02:03

    If there is no alarm, and the engine does not slow down before shutting down, and it shuts down like a sudden power outage, then there is a circuit fault. You need to check the relay, fuse, wires, and high-voltage common rail starter wire. Check these two first to see if there are any new findings.

  9. #9Tony Wells2025-08-28 07:59

    Well no, it does not cause a shut-down. The engine "bogs" and hydraulics get sluggish and weak. Traction/transport is sluggish. No alarms, no warning. If it's shut down and parked, in a short time it may crank and run normally, or may not. I don't believe it will resume normal operation until it has been shut down. Meaning this problem does not resolve while the machine is running.

  10. #10laidback012025-08-29 02:18

    okay, so what you are describing to me sounds like a an expansion of metal somewhere changing a ground. Meaning - it gets warm, and there's a grounding problem that isn't there when the metal is cold, but is when it's warm. Or some sensor dramatically increases resistance after something physically changes size. sounds weird, I know, but I've run into issues from cooling fans blowing the hot air onto relays and causing the little copper contacts to warp in such away they would no longer make correct contact and the fuel pump would not come back online after shut off. that relay was the 'vehicle rolled over' relay, and it would interrupt connection to the pump. I know your issue isn't that, but... what you are describing reminds me heavily of that. I've seen stuff have issues at -20F that they don't have at +20F. most often it's some kind of sensor metal. you might have your mass air flow meter wire no longer staying cool enough to keep taught. or, it's just a ground that two pieces of metal normally connected will shift enough when warm to not connect. these issues suck to debug. have fun.