Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder project

Shimmy1 ยท 2022-04-21 12:04

Looking for a cylinder. I have an ACS thumb on the 210, and want that cylinder for a different machine. ACS wants $4500 for the cylinder, but I've been quoted around $2500 to build one from scratch by my machine shop. I got a price on a new bucket cylinder for a 580C backhoe, which is pretty good, but I'm not sure if that cylinder would be quite as big as the cylinder I have. I know the retracted length is fine, and pin size is irrelevant, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the diameter? Or, if a bucket cylinder for a 580C isn't a good option, what other machine might be? 680G/K or 780C? Some other brand? Maybe a stabilizer cylinder? Cylinder needs to be minimum 4" diameter, 2" or 2.5" rod, 30" stroke, app. 42" retracted length. Sorry for the novel. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-04-22 07:29

    A 580C bucket cylinder is mounted to the loader with trunnions that are on the middle of the barrel. No pin, on the barrel base. The cylinders on my 680C backhoe have either too long a stroke or less than the 30" you need.

  2. #2Shimmy12022-04-22 07:37

    I'm looking at bucket cylinders on the backhoe, not the loader.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-04-22 08:40

    this one is all over the internet.

  4. #4Shimmy12022-04-22 09:21

    Do you know the diameter of the backhoe bucket cylinder on a 580C?

  5. #5Tugger22022-04-22 09:50

    The right cylinder for a thumb should have built in cusheons at both ends of the stroke .Off the shelf will be cheap but wont give you that.Your machine shop can do it by designing in some restrictive porting at each end of the cylinder. Thats probably why the attachment manufacturer is expensive. Im using a 270 on job loading scap steel right now that has no cusheon and its brutal every time you stroke the thumb to the end. http://www.efiattachments.com/ These guys build good stuff,my CAT mini has thier attachments and they are bullet proof.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-04-22 10:51
  7. #7Shimmy12022-04-22 12:09

    Have ran mine with no cushion for 5000 hours.

  8. #8Welder Dave2022-04-23 00:39

    I think as long as the relief valves are set properly and you're somewhat careful, you don't necessarily need the cushion valves. I'm thinking maybe a lift cylinder off a track loader might be close to what you need. Probably the perfect one was on the machine they showed getting scrapped with a big shear on an excavator that someone posted. It was kind of painful to watch. Sliced through the loader boom and cylinder in one shot!