Cypress Equipment Co. was formed in 1966, when its predecessor, Construction Equipment Co. sold off its branch operations in Canada. A group of CMC employees purchased the B.C. operation, which became Cypress. They converted American Hoist & Derrick machines into log loaders and grapple yarders, and also built their own version of G.M. Philpott's tank drill. Cypress also distributed, over the years, Champion graders, Hitachi, and Prentice hydraulic machines, Moxy dump trucks, and they also manufactured the Roc-Champ drill. Well known Cypress machines include the 5676 and 7675 log loaders, 7220 Combo yarder-loader, 7280A, B, and C grapple yarders, and 7230 log loaders. Everyone feel free to add your Cypress/American pictures to this thread!
converted b/c 7280 rebuild at t-mar. upgrade after upgrade with the guidance of the great jim mantle. Went to canfor -woss. the first of 4 back to back for them. 60 series were coming on big at this time. all the north island boys were just starting to put the first ones in the log trucks. Lemare, port mcneill, holberg, winter harbout, etc.
Oops here is the video.... YouTube - Re Life of Cypress 7280 Grapple Yarder
Allrighty her's a start Quatalena (Kwatna Inlet) 1998 apx.
7280c This one was rebuilt by Madill not too many years ago. Can anyone decipher the mumbo jumbo on that plate?
7280B/C Crossing Bridge Beat up old machine, it came down from Alaska where Gildersleeve Logging ran it. The door says "Rob Young, Esq. NOBODY DOES IT BETTER!" YouTube - CYPRESS 7280 GRAPPLE YARDER CROSSING BRIDGE
Never could figure out Cypress serial# 046c might be a clue Couldn't get the van vids to upload wouldn't take avi file any ideas:beatsme This 7280C & 6280 came out of Alaska pretty sure. The 7280 around 2001 by Madills sold to Hayes and the 6280 2004 by Hayes. I ran the 7280 the nicest one yet Y1125 never ran this 6280. Contract Logger may know more history on this stuff and the Silver Bay 122.
Malibu Logging 1986 ran this one 5yrs.
This yarder was formerly owned by I&J logging (Olsen Group)pretty sure Interfor Rivers Div. Kwatna Timber and now the Bank I ran it a few times over the years it has had a TMar rebuild 5 or so yrs ago.
6280 Elaho Logging, Squamish BC
Squamish:thumbsup probably the best views I've seen in my adventures.
Some Older Cypress/American Loaders and Yarders A few pics from the collection of a friend.
Some More Cypress/American Stuff 5675 on rubber, built in 1978. The 5675 had all the controls in the cab to run the outriggers, but my guess is that they are defunct now. Back to using the controls on the carrier. M&B had one, before this one, that had the annoying habit of losing its steering control at the worst possible times. They never did figure out the problem.
5675, continued More of the 5675.
Love the mud hole shot!!! wonder if you could get away that these days.
That was access logging, where they'd push a rough trail in with the D8, drag the loader in, and drag each loaded truck out with the cat. You can still see the scars on Google Earth 40 years later! I'm glad they outlawed that years ago.
7220 GY pic taken 1983 PCB Shawnigan Lake TL6 1988 Kimsquit Dean Channel, Unicorn Logging
Two Old 7220's One from M&B, the other CZ.
7230 & 7280 Both ex-Gildersleeve machines, now owned by Edwards & Associates Logging, QC Islands, BC.
7230 Brochure A brochure that I've had since I was a kid
7230 Brochure continued Last page.
I believe pic.21 was one of PCBs 7230s 1985? It was loading out from me on a 144 at the ball park Franklin River. I think he made a deal with Cypress and sent 1or2 5675 on rubber in and had 7230s mounted on the same carriers rebuilt. I remember yarding with a 144 a big tree-length fir I could hardly swing the butt to the side of the rd. That thing grabbed it and dragged it around like nothing, I was amazed at the swing power !!
Yes, that was a PCB machine. The caption says it was at Carmanah. Wasn't that the place the hippies shut down? The 7230 never ceased to amaze me, they always looked so stable compared to the older 7220's, etc. I remember watching those old machines work, and they were always tipping on one track. I never did see a 7230 tip. Actually, the little 5675 was pretty good, too. They could handle some big wood.
Moving to a new logging site
Cool pics! That 7280 looks almost as burnt out as E&A's!
This GY was owned by Kwatna & G-F logging, bank GY513 I believe it was the 3rd. 7280B and yes it's do for the 5 gal. overhaul. I ran it for many years one off my favs...
7220 Super Snorkel Kimsquit, Dean Channel 1988 This is what happens with a 7280 when you don't put the boom down far enough traveling uphill actually a friend of mines first day running this unit and didn't know it had an extra 5 tons counter weight. Owekino Lake I do believe he had to change his shorts!!!! lowbeding 6280 Squamish 2009
Nice pics, all of them.
Oops..... forgot to lower boom backing off lowbed 7220 American Kimsquit 1989 not me Tripple C Logging Squamish BC apx 1994 Whiskey Jacks.. loggers best friend
Awesome pictures! Both Olympic's and E&A's TL-6's sat up on their counterweights on steep hills, but nobody had cameras, I guess. It must have been quite a sight!
I thought you would enioy those shots. Supper snorkel streched out 120 ft. behind the loader and the 7280 sittin on her bum. I'm amazed it didn't roll over on it's side.
I'm amazed, too. When the E&A TL-6 flipped up, the operator was steering up a hill using the lever (REAL operators throw the steering wheel away, apparently) and was standing up, to see his steering tires. His left wrist was leaning on the boom hoist lever, and when the boom reached a certain point, she just sat up. They pulled it down with a D7, and went merrily on their way.
7230C With Long Boom L-17 was a very rare configuration, 60' long boom with steel snorkel. An 80' long boom was available, too, but I don't think many 7230's were ever built with long booms. The long boom was faster to load with, but required more skill than a heel boom. Many of the M&B loaders had the "Luckhurst boom", simply an empty socket at the base, into which a log was inserted. A special cap went on the end of the log, with all the sheaves on it. The tagline went through a small block hung from the boom. Later machines had the long boom seen here.
7230C and 7230R L-17 and L-115 parked for Winter shutdown, 1999.
7230 Controls Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the "office", first a 7230R, then a 7230C.
Is that L-17 still up in QCI or could it be at Franklin R. M&B/Hayes/? have one down here looks awfully similar -the snorkel. I've got a great video of it working. I'll try getting it digital next week away for weekend, See snow in the Mountains again this am more time off:thumbsup
It got transferred in 2000, I heard to Northwest Bay. Could be still around. I think Franklin R. Div. had a long boom on rubber, so L-17 would fit right in there. It would be nice to know if it was still running.
just moved to a new site today and on my way home i saw these sitting in a yard dont know anything about them .sorry about the bad pictures only had my cell with me there was 4 yards that i could see and one log loader
if some one can rotate the one picture that would be cool .can pull levers for a living cant operate a keyboard LOL. i will take the camera on monday the track loader had cypress on the boom thats why they all ended up on he
That yarder is a Washington highlead machine- either a 158 or a 208. See if you can get some more pics- and one of the ID tag if you can! The shovel is a Cypress 1825 I believe- but again, and ID tag will tell us. Great pics, thanks for posting and thinking of us out here!
the yard is on river rd north delta bc i promise i'll take the camera on monday
Yes the Blue Hydraulic Loader is a Cypress 1825C. Would be 1987 or later as Cypress acquired Chapman Industries in 1987 and rebadged the Chapman 1825 to the Cypress 1825. Of note there is one 1825 on a Madill rubber carrier. It came out new from the old Chapman plant on river road in Delta right around the Chapman/Cypress takeover. I think it was originally an M&B machine and they supplied the undercarriage. I last saw it down the inlet from Port Alberni across from Kildonan about 10 years ago.
I think I have a picture of the 1825 on rubber, but it may be years before I find it..... . I wonder, do you guys have enough pics, etc. to bother with a Chapman Motor and Machine Shop/Chapman Industries thread? They were one of the pioneers in BC at building roadbuilders from Hitachi backhoes. Their Drilmobile and Roc-Champ drills were very popular, and their 1800 log loader was one of the bigger ones available in its time. Cypress carried on the Roc-Champ and the 1825 when they bought Chapman out.
For trakloader, Contract Logger and Murk100: Found a couple of pictures of the predecessor to MB's L17, the L11. If I remember correctly these were taken when the loader was clearing right to the new sort at Ferguson Bay. This machine eventually ended up at E&A in Dinan Bay and nobody seemed to be able to figure out how to operate it. From trakloader's video of the L17 on youtube Big Ben knew what to do. Thanx for the L17 videos. I enjoyed them.
Thanks! I remember the last year they had L-11 here, I think Grumpy went on it when Ben got L-17...... Anyway, I was pretty young when they sent it to Dinan Bay, but I remember the last use here was as "J-11". They put the extra drum set on it, and used it for short yarding for a bit. I don't remember hearing how well it worked, but they didn't use it that way for long. I think they even put a guyline winch on it. Long booms did require a whole different technique, harder to master. I think the L-110 went to E&A around the same time. Similar machine, but with a heel boom.
YouTube - S5001098.AVI 7230 Action Video I took this apx. 5 yrs ago Franklin R. I think the operator may have beem pushing the limits (crazzzzy) enjoy poor video quality but worth a look:Cowboy
I own a 6280 grapple yarder in New Zealand imported it from Canada 2yrs ago. Brought it off don hull and sons contracting in Terrace BC. Love the machine very user freindly and quick yarding...The pictures of these 7280 have me excited any of them for sale??
Wow, the size of the 7280 might be a bit much for NZ.... You don't see that many for sale, they're very popular. Much easier to move around than those monstrosities that Madill peddled. (144) Still, you should have a 120t. lowbed to move them.
This is true to big for our roads it would have to be dismantled {hassle}...Things must have picked up over there a lot less yarders for sale...
My 6280 in New Zealand
Good choice:thumbsup my fav.little yarder but I like its big bro 7280 better. If you climbed in the cab you couldn't tell the differance except the gear shifter and the two speed travel. The 7280 is 70ft tall and about 80 tons. I was just ribing ya about the Madill 143 there around 110 tons
In action NZ styles
More CYPRESS shots in NZ I have the only one in the country good machine fast...In the second pick is the backline we have a raised t bar fabricated on it heaps better than one block good line seperation...Harverster is a waratah bigwood 626
NZLogger: That's a great looking 6280. I'll have to go to New Zealand to see it. A couple of phone #'s for you. Main Logging in Terrace, B. C. is 250-635-7150. Last time I saw their yard it had a 121, 122 and a 124 in it. T-Mar Industries in Campbell River at 250-286-9500 seems to have the lock on a lot of West Coast logging equipment. I recently saw a 6280 in their yard that came from Main Logging in Terrace. Bright blue. Give these guys a call. I'm sure they'll help you out. I'll get you another phone number when I get back from work. Keep that iron working.
NZLOG: If you're interested in another 6280 or two or even some 7280's try www.hayessales.com . Hayes had an excellent reputation for looking after their equipment.
DBDLS thankyou for taking the time to supply me this info, I tried Al Waugh {Hayes shop boss} 4 weeks ago only to be told they sold all there yarders will try again... Those picks of the 6280 you put up early in the thread was that a good machine too it looked like one of the early ones built.. Also the 6280 was built before the madill 124 how do they compare either one better than the other?
Murk said a few posts ago that the 6280 was his favourite little yarder, and he's run most of them. That should count for something. I had heard mechanics grumble that the 6280 was hard to work on, but the only one I've ever seen was when I was about 12, so I have no idea. I've always had the impression, though, that Cypress machines were better engineered than Madill. Compare the Madill 143, their attempt to compete with the 7280, it's sour apples to oranges. Where Cypress ran their hydraulic lines in neat steel piping, Madill had a big jumbled mess of hoses. The 124 was built after the takeover by Cypress, so it might be a better machine. Never really looked at one closely. When they got one here, it was parked by the shop for a day with the boom down. You could push on the boom, and lift the rear of the machine by hand! Maybe you could do that with the 6280, too, I don't know.
NZLOG: I'm with trakloader, Murk100 would know the ins and outs of all the machines. All I can tell you is that the people I know that have owned Madill 120s and 124s have been very impressed with them. Hardly ever break down and easy to fix when they do. As trakloader says, quite lightly built and pretty well have to be tied down. I've noticed that a lot of 120s have had extra counterweight added. When I'm finished my shift I'll get get you a few more phone numbers of people who own the machines and could tell you what they think. Who knows they might even be in a the mood to put you onto one to buy.
I can see why they might add counterweight to the 120, I moved one last year & booming down on the lowbed it would stand up on the idlers till the boom rested on the bed, thought I might be starring in a destroyed in seconds video.
Funny thing that 6280 in pic 10 on this thread has a small counter weight hanging off the back, its off an old small crane if you look closely you can see it. Kinda nice acts as a sidewalk around the back with a ladder from up top really adds to the stability 25% no problem walk boom 1st off lowbeds. Olympic/Elaho has two 6280s the other one doesnt have the extra weight not as stable the other operator was quite suprised watching it come off the lowbed. The first 3 or 4 124s were nose heavy after those I believe they moved the house back 6in or so fixed that. The 120s are a pain without the live boom moving around on step ground etc. The one I was on in Oregon was bent up by lowering the boom over the side of the carrier. The op got the boom 3/4 down and she started to tip so he let her go. So yes nose heavy aswell. The 120 124s are much easier to fix all the regens an clutches are out side the winch frame. The 80s have BFG clutches on the inside of the frame which are a pain to change. They all have there good and bad points but I like anything that ends in 80 Over the last 30yrs, 044 line shorteners,tag,double main,rubber carrier.7220 Gy. 7280B&C.6280, 120,122.123,124,143,144 some lots some a little.:IMO Here's a few pics I took yesterday Lake Cowichan
I think that 6280 was from Alaska
Hayes sales yarders and loaders Made a little compilation of Cypress yarders and loaders from the Hayes sales web page, before it disapear. Ooops, it was a couple of Madill 075 there too...
Murk100, you seem to have some tremendous experience in running swingyarders. I have only tried a 120 and had big problems with sorting out the brakes, and also the left hand gas. (My experience is from running my own running skyline mini-yarders, but they're all hydrostatic and you have no concern about brakes). I still understood the principles with neutral, pick up haulback/main and interlock mode. The guy running this machine told me the winch control in the Cypress machines was a lot easier to run, it looks much similar to the Madill, but maybe you can explain the difference? It also could be interesting to know if it really is a big difference in pull-power from the non-interlocked 044 and to the much smaller interlocked 124 or the 6280? Thank you for bringing many interesting issues out in this forum!
Ok in a nutshell!! the 80s mainline drums lock together via BFG clutch in or outhaul and neutral, one brake pedal for two drums. The Madill interlocks only lock on inhaul, in neutral you have two brake pedals for the mainlines. Hard to explain hopefuly this helps. I'm with the Op. you were talking to much easier.. If you took out 1/2 the hyd. air valves hoses etc out of a 122 etc. you would have a Cypress. The 120 124 have a Cypress influence much simpler Pulling power!! Depends on engines, trans.HP. The 044 have a 2 speed The 124 have the same HP but a 5 speed put in 1st be carefull. 5th hold on. I would think the 124 will pull as hard as the 044. Most Op. get a feal for their yarders and will stop pulling before the break stuff.:my2c
That 122 in Skadill's video is the first one I've ever seen. They look to have a strong Washington influence. Wonder if the same guy designed the 122 and the later Washinton GY's. Even the carrier shows a Washington influence.
YouTube - Grapple Yarder Lowbed 1 YouTube - Grapple Yarder Lowbed 2 YouTube - Grapple Yarder Lowbed 3 Here's a link of lowbeding a 7280
YouTube - Grapple Yarding 1 YouTube - Grapple Yarding 2 YouTube - Grapple Yarding 3 Kwatna in good times!!! its to bad for the perfect storm that has swept over our industry many a good contractor has fallen :crying anyway that would be yours truly running the GY 800 m3 that day 8 fat trucks 16 or 17 hiway trucks.
Cool videos! Looks a bit tippy though!
It's quite a sight watching them go down the road on a lowbed alright
I'll bet! In all my time, I have never seen a yarder on a lowbed. Seen every other piece of logging equipment moved, but never a yarder. They must move them under cover of darkness!
Interesting, that one originally had a 70ft. long boom. You can tell by the extra guarding over the cab, and on the plate one of the options is 70LB.
When I was logging in Washington we always tried to move the yarders on Sunday morning between 5 am and 7 am, depending on daylight. Worked pretty well, we never had any issues. Fewer people around, etc. Scales were never open. Here in Alaska, its not an issue, ever. No scales, no troopers, no problem.
Makes sense, Washington State Patrol seems to be out in force lately. Hey Contract Logger did you ever work around Amboy Trucking, Chelatchie Trucking, or B&B Logging when you were down this way?
Amboy and Chelatchie hauled alot I think in Clark County- used to see them around but never used them- met the owner once- heck of a nice guy but I can't remember his name- Gene was his first name but cannot remember the last name. We were working way up the Kalama (7400/5500 area) one time and they were hauling in there too, maybe for Paul Logging or Canyon Creek Log, back when Howard Rogers was running it. B&B logged mostly for International Paper- I saw them logging here and there but never worked around them either. Werent they from Chehalis? Cat loggers only also I think.
That was a very impressive bit of operating. The yarder looks to have hydraulic driven undercarriage. Does it have gears, shafting, clutches and brakes for the lines? The grapple yarding looks extremely fast and the tail hold seems to mean no one on the ground. How far out can you reach and still be competitive with chokers? It also looks like it is a line of sight operation. Can you work up hill as well? When I saw the truck back up for the trailer I noticed the man on the ground looked like he dropped a pin to hitch the trailer. If so does that mean there wasn't a pintle hitch? Thanks for the videos.
Slick yarding Murk...Just watched the 124 video of yours as well looks like that 7280 would just eat that 124...
Thanks !! the 7280 was yarding about 600 ft the 124 was 1200 ft out. I had a better camera man(chaser)on the 7280. The 124 setting was hoe chucked around a corner I couldn't get at, that explains the big pile at the back end I asked the Hoe chucker Op to make sure he made a loose pile as you can tell he didn't listen that was a pain to get ahold of that wood.
Your welcome !! and yes hyd. carrier swing, D8 tracks rollers idlers. Lot of shafts gears BFG Eaton and band brakes We yard all types of ground 70% slopes up down sideways no problem also we can run butt rigging, exellent dropline carrage machine aswell. 1300 ft would be max. yarding for this machine. We usually have a 3 man crew for the yarder 2 on the loader. All the fat trucks I've seen use this system no pintle hitch, where he put the pin in there is a compensator used for keeping the trailer tracking in the same foot print as the tractor when turning sharp corners switchbacks etc. These trucks pack 100 tons 14-16 ft bunks 2-3 hiway truck loads. I hope that helps you and I'm noi a truckdriver so anybody feel free to correct me
Alright Sherlock!!! I'll take a cruise out to Franklin one day and see if I can find that longboom and get some pics, unit, serial # for us. I think they had a couple of them and what ever else I stumble across. I'll tell the the little woman were going on a romantic drive to Bamfield sounds like a new thread to me..............:idea
I like it, a romantic drive. I need to try that angle.
Buddy in Seattle sent this in an email this morning. Dont know who or where, but what a great shot!
Ha Ha !! I'm down your way a few times a year and would like to check out that 009 and Be Serious loader (shovel) that was blown over the bank at Mount St Hellens(sound like a romantic walk) I'll PM you and get directions I have family in Clatskani Or. I took a drive over to Vernonia last yr to see how Gwin and sons were doing with there 120 couldn't find DG but a mechanic was telling me all the do with it is dropline.
I have seen them use a little Acme slackpulling carriage with it once in awhile, but not often. I have never seen them grapple with it. C&C in Longview also had a 120 and aboutall they used to do is grapple log with thiers. Everyone else in that neighborhood using swingers went with TSY-255's. Nearly impossible to grapple log with those, but Bill Gould at Castle Rock did try- I took some pics of it, I'll find and post in the T-Bird thread.
Sweet pics - can't wait until I can post pics of the Cypress machines we used up around Horsefly,BC.
Beautiful shot of a 7230R! One suitable for framing on the wall, if the war department approves, that is.... Luckily, I have no worries there.
Just walked in the door from Pitt Lk.. Moving GY from Pitt to Port Renfrew what a pain, had to dop the gantry to get under the Pitt River Bridge it was even more of a pain getting it back up... Enjoy the last pic. Hey there Trackloader maybe a new thread called camps, float camps,shops,etc what do you think
Old 7220 combination loader/grapple yarder has the D8 track conversion
What a relic, looks like she's been parked for a year or two. Still run, or scrap iron? That D8 track conversion is the same rig as on Northern Sons' 7280, cat tracks and rollers, but I guess it's still mechanical chain drive?
L123, Cypress 7675 with wooden boom Trakloader here's a machine you'll remember, as well as those two good looking loggers on the deck, Ernie and Les.
Thanks so much for posting these!! :notworthy That was some time ago, the A-frame was still there. 1983?? Maybe 82? Best pictures yet of the Luckhurst boom, too. Les eventually replaced the wooden boom with an old steel spar, after he bought the machine.
L17 MacMillan Bloedel Trakloader: Here's one more picture of L17 for you. It's got to be almost brand new...hasn't even worn the paint off the grapple yet.
This setting was 1200ft out small wood, so we would grapple 900ft. of it change over to dropline carrage clean up the rest. We took wide roads at the backend and kept going back and forth with dropline and grapple worked really well we could swap them in 15min. Wahkash 7280 around 1988-89
Thompson Logging Y-10 I think this was a 7280... Murk could tell us for sure. This picture was taken some years before I was born, but I seem to remember that when it was parked side by side with Northern Sons' 7280, they looked identical. I think one had "AMERICAN" on the counterweight, the other "CYPRESS".
L-68 Notice the narrow track width. This machine went over the bank less than a week after my friend took this photo, killing the operator. September,1972. Most of the early loaders put together by Cypress were really tippy, and an inexperienced operator could easily get into trouble on one. Add to that the fact that they basically had no brakes, and a boom hoist that would go up on its own when descending hills....... The very narrow, cramped cab left little room for escape if something happened. Running a log loader was no job for the faint of heart! It wasn't until the 7230 that Cypress perfected the log loader, with power up and down on the boom, hydraulic drive carrier, and hydraulic swing motor. I think it's no coincidence that the 7230 was the first to have "Cypress" on the counterweight, too.
American 7280A Cypress 7200B-C The pic is the A model you can tell by the flat pads on the tracks:my2c
After some pestering I got him to send a bunch more pics of this 7230R trackloader. Owner still umknown, he is being tight-lipped I guess. Gold River area if that helps- someone must know.
Another round.
A couple of 7280's.
Always the best pics from Contract Logger! :notworthy Keep 'em coming!
Lol- well I didn't take them, they arrived in the mail on a disc from a cutter buddy of mine who shares oour interest in logging gear. I take alot of pictures, I share alot of pictures, and in kind alot of pictures get sent back my way! PS- any of my old spec sheets or whever are fair game for you guys to copy. Any pics I take are for the greater good and may be used and distributed by anyone. Some pics are sent to me, so with those it is sort of questionable whether I can say 'copy em'. Do what you think is right in those cases.:drinkup
The same goes for the stuff I post. Not much point in hoarding this stuff all to myself! I'm lucky, whenever I run short on stuff to post, I just walk down the hill and snap some logging trucks or something. Most people aren't that lucky, I'll bet a lot of folks are seeing certain equipment for the first time on this forum! Hey, I'm still waiting for that line shortener article!
This I believe is the last 7280C built 54C thanks to my bud Jamie for sending and taking the pictures today....
Great pics! And a good friend who appreciates saving some history for the youngsters.
For sure!! he also gave me the pics of the 144s laying on there sides that I posted on the logging accidents thread.:thumbsup Got another guy in mind who may have some old 47000 Madill pics.
7280 Spec Sheet Had this since I was a little kid.
I think this is the 7230R from the sales brochure you posted Track L. Hot off the press...
Why is there a tarp on the roof? Escape hatch blew away in the wind?
Yep!! waiting for speedy auto glass
You guys are so lucky, all the amenities at your disposal! I've been waiting two years for the local glass man to do my window! I wonder how you read the Cypress serial numbers.... Could that be the 4th 7230R?
Not 100% but 99.9% that would be #4 Well here's proof of my masters degree:laugh
7280 c Here's some pic's of your friends yarder in mid may, as I understood they planned to change it to a 124 the weekend of may 15 to 16 to increase mainline capacity. I brought my friends up there, they never had seen a grapple yarder working, and we where all impressed over what we saw. I'll post some video later on youtube too!
Nice pictures!! you can see the wider 14ft. undercarrage. My bud knows his stuff, good operator. Here's a pic of the handoff. This is the view from the yarder I've been operating lately. Cape Flattery and Neah Bay Wa. from above Port Renfrew Vancouver Island
What did they do with the 7280c? Could they not have gone down a line size for more distance or is the yarding speed as well at that distance on a 7280 an issue?
It is more of a weight issue. The 124 can be lowbeded on the hiway fairly easily where the 7280 is a huge job to move on the hiway. The yarding distance are fairly close, the 124 has faster line speed...
Loggers life...
7280 Yarding 1800 ft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-9P7LFORnw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
7280 Olympic Forest Products this is from your neck of the woods trackloader in its new home at Head Bay (Tahsis) and I'm driving it.
Here's a 7280C for sale at RB in Chilliwack http://www.rbauction.com/details-en_US/CYPRESS-7280C-Crawler-Interlock-Grapple-Yarder_2939255/ci
That machine was built a B then upgraded later- it was one of the original machines featured in the 7280B 10-page original brochure. (Cox and Sons). Cypress did a beautiful job of thier sales brochure early on, as all were lots and lots of full-color pictures. I am sorting through all my old Cypress stuff now and have quite a bit to post.
A friend of mine is having 2-dozen hats made right now with the old original Cypress logo. They are nice (Drift Creek Outdoors) and will be black with the logo embroidered and surrounded on all 4 sides with a blue stripe. I think they are costing him around $20.00 each and he's gonna sell 15 off (on ebay I think). The embroidery work was really expensive but the quality will be very high. When I see him in a couple weeks I'll find out where he's at with it. He has alot going so who knows. I know he did drop the hats off for the embroidery work a week or 3 ago. Here's the old logo.
Some pics out of the Cypress 7230 Brochure.
Here's the 7280C Brochure.
Cypress 6280 brochure cover.
Cypress 1825C Hydraulic Log Loader.
Cypress 3800 Log Loader- does this look familiar??
Looks like I have the wrong machine. Murk has the build list and the Cox machine at auction is a C and not a B it looks like. I wonder then if Cox traded the B series machine off or if they ran a pair of 7280's for a time?? Hopefully someone here knows them and can help.
The machines in post 98 are Benwests Loggings, along with that snorkel. the 7280 on Inlets Barge with the white boom and back stop just had the boom put back on on friday at T-mar in Campbell River. I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow if its still there when I go out to our shop. It was in Fraser Bay back at the end of september and was caught in a slide. She looks all nice and shinny now with a new paint job.
It looks like there is a 7280 on the previous page on rubber...
Hey CL. About post #125, what's the story behind this machine?
Here are a couple of pictures of Benwest's 7280 fresh from the shop Here's Main's 6280 sitting behind T-Mar
Some Pictures of our 7280
Cypress 3200 FB Feller Buncher Here's the Cypress 3200 FB Feller Buncher front and rear brochure covers. As everyone knows, these hydraulic machines were designed and built by Cypress. Later they were marketed as Madills but Madill never designed any of them.
Madill built a couple of Hydraulic log loaders- the first was called a 'Madill 901' and was built in 1983. The second was called a 'Madill 902' and was built in 1990. they were horrible disasters and never took off. I believe one burned and one still survives today. I have pics someplace..... Madill had previously been building line-shovel style loading machines for many years and the Madill 075 was an incredibly popular machine. Many are still in operation today as supersnorkels. Cypress was building yarders, hydraulic log loaders, and feller bunchers in Canada in the 80's, and in 1988 Ross Corporation started building the Thunderbirds in Eugene Oregon. Ross was dominating the US market, Cypress was dominating the Canadian market, and Madill was selling only a very few machines- The 122/123 swinger, and the 171 70' tower. They were getting killed in the US by the big tan Ross machines, and in Canada by Cypress. In 1990 the fatal Madill plane crash happened and everything changed immediately. Chuck Madill put the company up for sale and Cypress bought it. The Madill name was good, and the decision was to dump the Cypress name and continue as Madill but with products developed by Cypess. The 120, 124, and 172 machines had been designed by Cypress before and during the purchase. The Cypress 3800 log loader and Cypress 3200 buncher had been designed, built, and sold by Cypress prior to the buyout. The 2800 loader, 4800 loader, and 2200 buncher were designed by Cypress but not rolled-out until after the big shake-up/name change. Madill (really only Cypress with a new name) was remade with a Cypress product line. Ross Corporation was smoking Cypress in sales/numbers and was at the top of it's game by the mid-1990's. The Murray's were diversifying into Auction, Real-Estate, and Other business ventures, and the logging side was in a perfect position to be sold for huge money. It was offered to the Cypress ownership group (operating as Madill) and they managed to borrow, beg, and maybe even steal enough money to buy it from Ross. Ross took the money in 1997 and ran like hell! They were on top of the world (and still are). Ultimately, the debt load accumulated by the Cypress group (now calling themselves Madill) was way too much and the payments and interest became more than the revenue as machine sales dropped off. The company was horribly mis-managed and was forced into bankruptcy in 2008. The assets were purchased by Modern Machinery and the rest is history. The Madill shovels and bunchers you all know are Cypress machines through and through. Stickers are cheap and everyone makes them! Cypess had a good product but a bad name, so the Madill aquisition made sense at the time..... Madill had a great name but few orders, and was going broke pretty quickly until Cypress came along with some cash..... Thunderbird was selling, selling, selling machines and then some, and just wanted out of the business- They got out at the top! The real success story was the Ross Corp group. They basically won the Super-Bowl of logging equipment and then immediately retired. Madill/Cypress destroyed the 30-year legacy of Ross Murray within 5 years, while the Murray family laughed all the way to the bank with the money. Just my 2 cents, but I was there and that's what happened. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive- however- That's what happened.
Contract Logger: I enjoy reading your posts and your photos. I grew up in Thorne Bay, and logged in Southeast Alaska for many years. I spent five years running Madill Grapple Yarders such as the 044, 122, and 123. Prior to that, I worked under the Mighty 009. I would be interested in where you spent your time in Southeast.. MR
If anyone feels I screwed this all up feel free to chime in- I was at Kalama often the last couple of years, and there are really 4 individuals who destroyed this company. All are 4 Canadians, one was living in the States and managing the Kalama operation. The names aren't important today but if you were dealing with Madill between 2004 and 2008 then you know exactly who I'm talking about. The contract loggers on the West Coast of both Canada and the US are some of the finest, smartest, most honest people on the planet. They will not be lied too, bullied, or outsmarted by anyone, ESPECIALLY by idiot managers who know nothing of thier business. They will take thier business and go elsewhere. THAT is what happened. Sorry for the rant.
I curently live quietly and comfortably on an Island to the West of Juneau. I have been out of the logging business for several years now, and never logged in Alaska. Alaska was getting over before just as I came up. I do however know most everybody who is here and leftover from the heyday. I dabble in the machinery business but very little logging. There is a brand new log loader headed toward POW but I'd better leave it at that for now. There sure are alot of trucks and machinery still left sitting around up here! I have barely scratched the surface with pics so far. I sure would like to see pics of your logging days! I've posted a ton from mine in various threads. I have enough to keep posting daily for many years to come yet.........
I do believe this is a 7280A! It was originally a American 7220 Log Loader that was converted to a Grapple Yarder and yes it is on Rubber I've heard about but never seen it...(could be wrong)
7280 on Rubber. I have thousands of pictures, books, magazines, sales brochures, etc- This is from the 7280B brochure and all it says is 'Inlet Contractors' under the pic. I have never seen another pic of this machine OR another Cypress yarder on rubber. It was somewhat common for the Madill, Skagit, and Washington grapple yarders to be mounted on rubber and Cypress may have been chasing that market. One thing is sure- rubber tire carriers are alot more expensive than tracks to manufacture.
The 7280 on rubber was an A model. It was owned by Inlet Contracting in Port McNeil. They were selling out back in 84 or 85 and the yarder went seperately in the deal. I don't know the name of who bought it, but the put it onto tracks and put a loader onto the rubber carrier.
Wow, good move! That 7280 on rubber must have been tippy as Hell! Looks like the same carrier as the 7675 loader.
Hey, CL! I already posted the 7230 and 7280 brochures that you put on here.
HEY- I'm getting old and senile so give me some slack. I didnt realize and was just enjoying scanning for once and got carried away I guess. I wont let it happen again ointhead.
I tell ya, must be time for the Old Snag's Home! :tong
I'm just like that big beautiful old growth stand- drop-dead gorgeous to look at, but mostly pulp and half rotten inside !
The 7280 Came to WFP, Juene Landing camp no one here wanted the 124 to small for the wood. The 80 had a problem with one of the travel motors , screwed up three of them before we found out it had been hit hard in the travel motor with a log and bent the housing . Line bored it and it seems fine now
I found this 7230 parked in Campbell river several years ago.Last time I seen it was working on Menzies Bay dryland dewatering logs . Check out the cool snorkel
More of same machine .Will try to get them bigger !!!!
Cypress yarder on Axmen next week Looks like we will get to see a Lake Lemare Cypress yarder in action on Axmen next week. Need some diversity from the aqua/swamp loggers!
The first picture with the barge, that's a Madill 143 or 144 in the foreground. Hard to tell, the pic is blurry. It should be pretty interesting, LLL is a really.... interesting.. outfit! Ask anyone on the Island about "The Duke", haha! A real character!
Sorry for the blurring pictures, took them with the TV paused with my Droid phone. I think Murk said that they mainly show a 144, but looks like some Cypress action as well. From the preview of next week it looks like they are focusing on the "colorful" aspects of the crew as Axmen tends to do Still it will be nice to see Browning and LeMare on.
They quit showing Axemen in Canada, so I doubt that I'll ever get to see it. It was fun to watch, but lots of BS, mostly all staged stuff.
1991 Cypress 7280C Awaiting sale for march 30 2010,G.W. Cox & Sons Logging,took the other day
Wonder what she sold for and who got it .Heard there was lots interest in it.
Went for 400,000$ bidding started around 50,000. It went to a 5'9ish guy with a very shiny head.
Crane 7230? or what, and a huge grapple on a Manitowoc. Gold River, BC. Is this crane an American rebuilt by Cypress as a crane or what? Also a really huge grapple on the Manitowoc crane..
Looks like an old 7220 that someone stuck a crane boom on.
Yes, some kind of re-use, or maybe they just rebuilt American cranes to ordinary cranes with logging style hi-rise cab at the Cypress?
Well, until the 7230, Cypress loaders WERE American cranes rebuilt with high cab, etc. They even said "AMERICAN" on the counterweight. Presumably, an American crane boom would pin right on to a 7220.
Yes, I have a couple of pictures of 7220's I just got from a friend, I'll post tomorrow. By the way, is the logging taking up out there again??
Slowly, very slowly. I don't think it's going to be a good year.
6280 parked at Ash Main/Port Alberni march 2011 This nice machine with serial 10895 09 006/007 (uc) was parked at Ash just out of Port Alberni. Owner Woodfin Log Transport Ltd in PA.
6280 parked outside T-Mar Think this is Main Logging's machine. No serial number.
6280 in Liloet, summer 2009 Don't know why, but only took 2 pictures of this machine. Parked close to a Madill 099.
Olsen mgmt's GY03 - 7280 Behind fence at barge/coal terminal Campbell River. I don't know if Olsen is present owner.
7280B - parked in Gold River march 2011 Side of cab says Malaspina Enterprices ltd, Powell River. Serial nbr MG148 07 26 041B... Hayes in front Kip Brown Trucking #6, also Powell River.
7280C in the winter must be ruff on the equipment
What's the story on those 7230s? Any idea of who's gear it is?
There's a 7280 back there and a Washington.. Just a teaser pic. Waiting for phone to charge. I believe the name was wind ward logging.
Great teaser pic! Looking forward to see more of these machines SPMiller!
Such a waste .... good machines rusting away....
Her is a cool 6280 #2 I was operating last week for a week, D8 under carriage 13 feet 10 inches wide 32 inch pads..4 inches shy of the 144 and a foot wider than its big brother the 7280..
Looks great Murk, glad to see you back! Where are you working at these days?
5460 Lineloader A few pictures of a 5460 lineloader. The tag was hard to read but i could make out model number that i highlighted
cypress the best yarders ever made to bad all the great yarder makers are gone
yea good meachines is the cypress 7280 biger then the madill144?
The Madill 144 is bigger and much heaver than the 7280. They are both nice machines to yard with
Yes the 144 was a monstrosity, the cause of bent lowbeds and punched out roads, broken culverts, etc.
thanks 075 and trakloader im from Montana nothing big here small yarders someday i will see a big yarders in the west coast keep the pictures going boys
Hi Trakloader: Next time you are at the Port Clements museum check out the old, like very old front end bucket loader. It's on rubber. One of the earliest articulated loaders built. Used to belong to Highways back in early 50's. I came across it in the late 90's when I was living at QCC. I bought it for about $200 or so and gave it to the museum before it disappeared in a pile of rust or the scrapper got it.
If I remember correctly, when I worked in the Charlottes the Y34 (a 144) was on the lowbed when the gooseneck broke. When the boom slapped the top of the water tank it scared the hell out of the truck driver. I think it took two weeks of welding to repair the lowbed.
That poor old beast is going off to the scrappers, it got so rusty it literally started falling apart. Three wheel have rusted right off... Sad to see, but I think they did not clean it properly when they painted it. Probably had salt trapped under the paint.
That was indeed the 144 that did that. 144's also bent the Edwards and Olympic lowbeds, too, but didn't break them.
Sorry to hear it has succumbed to the salt air. Considering the billions of dollars worth of logs shipped off the islands, it seems a bit unfair communities received not much more than a few paychecks and broken roads. I was expecting the museum would have at least a modest shelter over the outside displays by now.
The management before my time debated putting a roof over the outdoor exhibits, but decided that it would last longer if the rain kept it clean. Strange idea I think. Especially after they put it right down by the beach!
Well, the rain does keep things clean. Sort of. My pickup truck is a good example. However the rain coming in off the ocean is loaded with salt as most people in coastal areas are aware of. I wish the museum folks well as it takes special community people to get involved in that type of service. Never enough money or time to do something that will be appreciated by people who are for the most part not even born yet. It's a form of mental illness not covered by the medical plan. That salt stuff never sleeps and just keeps working, forever. I parked my last FMC at a friend's place at Tlell, thinking I would within a year or so retrieve it before it evaporated. Unfortunately, in the mean time my marriage and investments died of natural causes and I couldn't return as planned. So 9 years later what had been a perfectly operable piece of equipment was reduced to an inoperable basket case. Even the rocker covers and air filter housing disintegrated! A tarp would have helped, but not much. I sold it for scrap. The good news it has been resurrected and is logging again! I hope who ever gets to operate 'Woody' knows how to use the arch. On a heavy winching or skidding, the arch has to be all the way forward and the logs landed on the deck. Period. BTW, when you get time to sort thru FMC pics, my unit has a lift lug welded to the top of the cab. For obvious reasons. I'm digging thru my pics covering the last 45 years of logging and other adventures. Painful. I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then. I have found quite a few pics of my FMCs with brush rakes, backhoes and fire fighting tank. Even a few of logging on power line construction and just good ol' logging, some at the Tlell property. I'll get a few pics transferred to whatever and send a few your way in a few weeks. Meanwhile, stay dry.
Hey fitzpatrick check skidder - traks or tires post
Boy do those pictures bring back memories.I started out many years back on the north end of Vancouver Island working for Rayonier Canada, and McMillan Blodel
Hey 075: been checking but cant find what you are referring to. Be more specific. I'm hopeless at most things.
MY bad, should have said" Skidders tracks and tires" and you did see it, oops sorry!!
Does anyone know where the GW Cox 7280 ended up?
Not sure but I think Western ended up with it,. Holberg I think
Ok thanks! I kind of figured Western or IPL would end up with it. I've been trying to update the equipment list on page 74 of the Madill thread. It will be interesting to see who ends up with the 7280C that E&A is trying to sell.
E&A are selling another?
Yeah they have and add in some of thee logging magazines. They're trying to sell #49 for 550k. I believe that's GY-03. So I'm assuming all they have left is the old Gildersleeve machine and the Powell Daniels machine? I think Southviews 6280 is on ForestTech right now too.
Trackloader, do you have any pictures of Husby's 7230 by chance? Or any of their equipment really.
No Husby pics.... Last time I was at Edwards, GY-3 and the P-D machine were going, and GY-7 (Gildersleeve) was long gone on the barge. Heard she sold right away.
So is E&A going out of business or are they hanging on to one yarder? I wonder if they're selling the Guildersleeve 7230? Is there any chance you can find out where the yarders end up?
I'm pretty sure that yarder wound up at the walbran for IPL
Do you mean the newer 7280c or the older ex Guildersleeve 7280B? I'm pretty sure IPL has an old Guildersleeve 7280 that came from Alliford Bay Logging. I could be wrong on this though. I get most of my information second, third or even fourth hand haha....
How many cypress yarders were built? and how do the 6280 and 7280s compare to the 124? Since there is only one cypress yarder that I know of in New Zealand it would be good to know more about operating them. Are the controls arranged the same as madill swingers? better pulling power? smoother? Any info would be good murk100 might be able to answer these questions
16 6280s 26 7280Bs 12 7280Cs Controls are pretty much the same except they use a knee throttle. I'm thinking the 6280 would compare to the 120 in line speed and about the same size as the 124, can't remember the line capacity but it is less than the 124. Definatly not as easy to change clutches etc. but a great little GY. Nothing compares to the 7280 it's in a league of it's own in the big GYs, again less line capacity than the 124, 1500 ft mains and 3800ft haulback. In my oponion the Cypress are the most operator friendly once your use to the mainline drum system.. also these machines are great with MSP carriages..T-Mar is going the same way with their new GY. Hopefully this answers your questions... this is my oponion on these machines, I've been operating a 255 Thunderbird for the last few months and I like it to Lots of good reading earlier in this thread. I'm a Cypress fan!! but every machine has its pros and cons
Thanks for that murk I am definately a fan of the cypress any idea of when the last 6280 was built? I see one for sale on forest tech advertised as a 1993 with madill decals would this be one of the last? If you ever feel like a working holiday down this end of the world let me know
I do believe it was the last one manufactured 1993#16 on Forest tec. It was taken on trade for a new 124, I took these pic Madill Nanaimo 2001 I've been wrong before though.. Working Holiday!! I've been on one for the last 30 years lol..I would love to see the down under part of the world, one day..
As far as I know, Southview Forest was the last owner of that machine. I'm really surprised its been sitting for sale this long, figured someone would have snapped it up pretty quick!
-6280-01 Barnes and Florence -6280-02 Olympic Forest -6280-03 Hayes Forest Service -6280-04 Olympic Forest Products -6280-05 Tolson Industries -6280-06 Cortloch Industries -6280-07 Sladey Timber -6280-08 JDJ Pole -6280-09 Western Englewood -6280-10 Don Hull and Sons -6280-11 W + D Logging -6280-12 Main Logging -6280-13 Hayes Forest Service -6280-14 Interfore Hope -6280-15 Lama Pass Logging -6280-16 Ted Leroy Trucking Can anyone help me out with updates on 6280s? I think #6 is with Don Woodfin now, #10 is in New Zealand, #13 is with Tolson now (I think), and #16 is with Southview Forest Services and is currently for sale on Forestech.
That would be one of my photos! I have no idea how someone else got them....maybe facebook? Anyways it is BenWest loggings L4 this shot was in Stafford Lake, Loughborough Inlet
These are my photos! They are of BenWest Loggings L4, These were taken in Stafford Lake in Loughborough Inlet.
Cypress 6280 Grapple Yarder at the shop for repairs.
Is W+D Logging still around up your way? They used to have a 6280 Cypress, I was wondering if you have any pics or info on that machine?
Where were W+D logging from? The only outfit around Chetwynd that has a yarder anymore is Youngs mills logging. That I know of... It's a Madill 120.
Supposedly they were from Chetwynd. I'm not sure how long ago that would have been though.How long ago did Youngs Mills get rid of their 124?
It's been a few years at least, right about the time Canfor shut down for a bit. Pretty sure it went to RB in Prince George.
A reverse crane conversion? http://nanaimo.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-5675-American-Wagon-Crane-W0QQAdIdZ458047207
Doug Sladey's machine, sits beside the barge ramp at Earls Cove...ready to rock & roll.
nice machine looks like a 6280 or 7280?
Caycuse 1973 I think this is a 6280 , It looks like a line loader conversion?
It is a 7220 combination. It is a regular 7220 with a haulback drum , guyline and strawline installed with a Bohemian boom. Cypress first attempt at a grapple yarder. 8V71 engine and higher gear set,you could yard and load with them.Good for about 600 feet fairly slow line speed and not a lot of lift. Bohemian boom was just two sheaves mounted under the boom fairlead for the two mainlines and the haulback used the boom fairlead.
Thanks for the great info 075 . I noticed the mainlines came out around the same place ,but figured it must be side by side sheaves. They must of got alot of line wrap with the mainlines so close together.
What are you doing showing a picture like that to a old wrench like me? Do you know how many years of therapy it took to forget about those things. Doing the inside swinger. AAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. First place rag on pile of gear dope, then place hardhat into rag, then place head into hardhat. don't lift your head up cause there is a haulback drum right there ready to knock you senseless. Too many rainy nights working on those things. Knew an old guy in camp. He said if he ever won the lottery he was going to buy a 7220 and have it in his back yard. Every cold rainy night he was going to take a hammer and beat something off the machine then go in the house and sit by the fire and get drunk. He must have had a few bad nights. I know how he feels LOL :Banghead
You forgot to say the swinger must be glowing red hot first, and some one bent all the cotter keys all the way around the pins lol
STOP, stop Too many bad memories Must drink beer now, to kill a few brain cells, hopefully the ones in the memory department
I wouldn't be suprised if this was the same machine I posted on page 6 pic 87 on this thread.. 7220 combo set up for loading old BCFP stoppin grounds Pitt Lake
Was it possible to do that with the newer 7230s? I've seen pictures of, I think, Bear Lake Logging running a setup that looks just like that. Not sure if its a 7220 or 30 though.
Murk, I have never run a 6280 but how would it compare to a 124 stability wise? And this machine must be much more stable than a normal 6280. Would you be able to run it much without guylines in certain situations?
Never did try yarding without a guyline with this one. I did walk it 10 km or so down some fairly steep hills boom ahead and felt comfortable where I would have backed down with a 124. I did play with a regular 6280 without a guyline and was about as good as a 124 pretty much useless...lol I've been operating a Thunderbird 255 for the last 6 months and its great without a guyline, of all the small ones I've driven it wins 1st prize...It's between a 120/124 size I think???
Looks like the one i hookt on in Brouten island , Rivers inlet Division
so on steep ground there little dangerous?
Grapple Yarding at Clowhom Lake, north of Sechelt. This machine ran three 8 hour shifts after setting up the gantry with football stadium lights.
I don't think so, but it might be possible as the 7220 and 7230 share a similar main drum set. I seem to recall that the combo set-up went above the main drums, had a haulback and strawline and took up a lot of room. M&B ran L-11, a 7220 with long boom, as a yarder for a year or two, using the conversion kit. It was not a huge success, that I can remember.
Who's 7280 is that? You don't see many dressed in red. Holbrook Dyson and Wahkash are the only 2 I'm aware of.
Weldwood. Northern Sons had a red one, too.
I wonder where those two machines ended up?
good question, the Northern Sons machine was an ancient 7280 with mechanical drive, etc. It probably went to the boneyard.
Battle of the grapples
Love that picture. d.d.
http://saratogaventures.com/listing/cypress-6280-swing-yarder/ Here's a great deal for some lucky logger! #16, last one built. This same machine was listed on Forestech a few months back for something like 600 grand, not sure what changed maybe its a typo.
Great pictures! Those machines are really helpful to lots of logger. And I'm sure those machines really helpful for increasing the speed of job.
Seen a 6280 today at Fort McMurray being used as a dragline at a tailings cell at Suncor. Said "Main" on the boom. Main logging out of Terrace? Don't know if they are doing the work or if they rented or sold it. Using a Hitachi excavator for the back spar and a Deere excavator for the tail hold. They have a blade on it with both ends angled forward and are scraping the top with it. Don't know anything more. Sorry don't have a camera and we are not allowed to have one on site. I will update this topic if I hear of anything more. Last week I had seen the top off the boom in the air and thought "Gee that looks like a yarder boom". Didn't think any more until i saw it yesterday. Had to look twice and get the binoculars out. Had a closer look today and was able to see 6280 on the side and Main on the boom.
Its too bad about the camera policies there, it would be great to get some pics or videos of that.I don't think they sold the 6280, might be renting it or doing contract work. Money is money I guess. Probably damn good money working there in Fort Mac!
Cypress 6280 Does anyone have a copy of the sales brochure for a Cypress 6280? I'm looking for the weight of the machine for lowbedding purposes. Thanks.
92,000. apx. Dry weight
Can anyone help me update this list of 7230s? -7230-01 Olympic Forest Products -7230-04 Hayes Forest Service>Northview -7230-05 Hayes Forest Service -7230-06 Eldred River Logging -7230-07 Hayes Forest Service -7230-08 Hayes Forest Service -7230-09 Teal Jones Company -7230-11 Skeena Sawmills>Main Logging -7230-12 Husby Forest Products -7230-15 Hayes Forest Services -7230-16 Ted Leroy Trucking -7230-17 Holbrook Dyson Logging -7230-18 Hayes Forest Service -7230-19 Hayes Forest Service -7230-20 Benwest Logging -7230-22 WD Moore Logging -7230-24 Tsibass Construction Ironside, Wahkash, Edwards & Associates, Coast Mountain Industries and Al Atwood are all running 7230s that I'd like to know the serial numbers for. And how about the 6280s? -6280-01 Barnes and Florence>WD Moore -6280-02 Olympic Forest -6280-03 Hayes Forest Service -6280-04 Olympic Forest Products -6280-05 Tolson Industries -6280-06 Cortloch Industries>Dickson Timber Falling -6280-07 Sladey Timber -6280-08 JDJ Pole -6280-09 Western Englewood -6280-10 Don Hull and Sons>New Zealand -6280-11 W + D Logging -6280-12 Main Logging -6280-13 Hayes Forest Service>Tolson -6280-14 Interfore Hope -6280-15 Lama Pass Logging -6280-16 Ted Leroy Trucking>Southview Forest Services>Bear Lake Logging Quatsino Forestry is running one and Sladey has a second one if anyone has any info that would be great!
There is a 6280 parked at the barge terminal in Menzies Bay never stopped to see whose it was today
The 6280 that came down here was with NZLOG (on this forum) and now Logged on Logging.
075, Was it a red one? I've heard from others that one was sitting there awhile back, haven't seen any pictures of it or anything. Furpro, I remember him posting pictures of it and also remember seeing it up for sale, wasn't sure if it had changed hands or not, thanks!
Going back down Island on the 26th will stop and look for you
A Look at Westerns 6280 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8mF8SOTfQ
Hello there my name is Jared Douglas I bought this yarder and company over a year ago we are just in the process of re painting it its probably going to change to red. If you ever have time Murk100 id like to talk to people that have ran the machine prior to my purchase to work out some of the problem we have been having my number is 1 250 287 0260. Cheers Jared.
Hey there Jared I have spent some time wrenching on these beasts. I can give you a call if you like, see if I can help out at all. When would be a good time. I work nights.
Has anyone come across any loaders under the name of Insley ( May not be correct spelling). There were a couple at Nanaimo Lakes in the 70s. I think there were also cranes.
I think I have seen a few pictures on HEF somewhere, when I worked at Eve River we had a old Insley for moving things in the shop yard. I was told they used to use it on the dry sort but I find that hard to believe since it was so small. When you sat in the cab it you would be just above the bunk of a off highway truck. It also didn't have a very big counterweight and small power. A 4-71 I believe.
HD Mech,thanks for the reply. I will search the threads.
Blk prince I found some Insley pictures in the " old iron" forum under "Insley excavator. Cheers.
Thank you HD.
There is a photo of an Insley cable loader on the "Northern California Logging" thread. Not much detail as the sun was in the wrong place.
New paint job Img_0144.jpg
Looks good Jared!
Finally out of the shop yarding in a day or so
Sure looks good, will be interesting to see some pictures of it working.
It does look good alright. BUT! Just to stir the pot. Madill orange paint does not a Madill yarder make. Something about lipstick on a pig comes to mind. (and I've done field service on them) Regards d.d.
We call that giving it a 'five gallon overhaul' in the airline industry.
Its nice to see fresh paint on any piece of equipment. Thanks cypresscreeklog.
6280 in ft mac I beleive Gord V. took that yarder to ft mac last year and rigged it up for dragging tailing ponds.
7280a
Bill F. Louisiana Pacific looks to me like a 7220
I would say 7220 combo because of the dual exhaust and guyline .7220 loaders had 6 71's
MB Shawnigan division had a Insley cable log loader in the early 70s. If I recall it was on rubber. Probably only about the sizer of an SJ4. I've never seen one as a crane
Got the opportunity to go for a day trip up Nootka sound to a camp last year with Tyson Lambert. What an awesome day looking forward to the next one. Anyway here are a couple of pics of a real nice 7280 I'm sure some of you on here will know it. I am hopeless with remembering names including who's company it was
Is Tyson any kin to to John Lambert, aka Gypo Logger?
SPMiller, where'd you get the picture? I see my 7280 sitting there with probably Dan N at the helm, but not enough in the picture to figure out which 7230 that the pictures taken from.
Hey Scott_527, Al Atwood's 7230 S/N is MG166-07-017, or says our records from when we owned it.
Thanks a lot! I've been trying to find some info on that one for awhile now!
I'll double check to make sure. He's contracting for us with it in our other camp. If I make it up there I'll have a look just to make sure.
Would you snap a couple pictures of it if you can? I only have one and its not the best pic.
looks like Benwest
Cypress creek logging purchased 7230 08 19 of island pacific logging to update your list
Jared, last time I talked to you you were saying you were building a new snorkel and giving it a coat of paint. Any pictures of the 7230 after its makeover?
Al Atwood,have not heard that name since 1968. He was running an old Yarder at Kokish for CZ and I was an apprentice mechanic. Man o man things do come out on these threads. He has a brother,Kenny,anyone know if he is around that area? Is Al still running machine or has a crew?
Here's a link to 6280 #10 for sale in New Zealand. Looks like a nice machine if anyone has an extra 900K kicking around... http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-f...orestry/heavy-machinery/auction-942660880.htm
A very pretty machine. See posts 50, 52 this thread. Hope she finds a good home.
Cypress Ad 1966
Jared did you buy another 7280? Sorry to here about your bad day.
Here's a couple pictures of 7230 #13. This machine was owned by Edwards and Associates and sat idle on the QCI for years. Holbrook Dyson bought it and had it completely restored by Profix Mechanical in Campbell River. Its great to see contractors spending some money on their machines and breathing new life into some of the old iron. http://www.profixmaintenance.com/before-and-after.html
The P16 Pacific Preloader shown in Profixmaintance / Before and After was originally new at CZ Nanaimo Lakes Div. #40-96 .
Hello Scott_527: Thanks for the link to Profix Maintenance's website. Very nice job rebuilding the 7230. I last remember seeing it at Juskatla looking very forlorn and neglected some 4+ years ago. Curious minds want to know: Did the machine get repowered with a 50 series Detroit or is it still soldiering on with a 6V92? Thanks.
I'm not sure about that. For the amount of time, effort and money they spent on it you'd think they would update the engine. You have me curious now too haha.
I looked at a picture of the side open on the 7230 and I can just see the winch side valve cover of a 6V92. The exhaust is coming from the right place for that engine as well. I had the same question when I looked at the pictures.
Good spotting.
Dose any know of anyone using a 7230 with a 120 foot snorkel? All I ever see is 80 and 90 footers. Don't think they would work very well with the 120 footers as all they are is a 7220 with hyd swing and travel. Ran 7220 for years with a 90ft and it was tapped out with that. And if you add more counter weight to back of it the tail swing wouldn't let you swing around in most rock cuts. Or fall over backwards on step ground.
075,Ray if you go to Crown Zellerbach site. Post #223. First pic. Is of 54-46 at Nan. Lakes. This machine did have a 120 ft pole. Do you think this is the pole or else it was put on after the short on broke. BP.
That's a 7220 and looks a little short for 120 footer . They may have put a longer steel one on later, but would have had to put a pile of counter weight on her to keep it up right. But thanks for looking Blk Prince
Ok Murk 100 has been asking me to put this on so here I go #16 1727-06-032B Malibu Logging Campbell river 7280B list of 7280 when they were sold new #17 1728-06-033B Carley Logging Victoria 7280B #1 sn 1027-04-010b Bendickson hardwick island 7280B #18 1729-06-034b Olympic forest beatty anchorage #2 1173-04-014B CRB Pemberton 7280B #19 1730-06-035b cfp woss 7280B #3 1176-04-019B GW Cox Campbell river 7280B #20 2204-06-20-036B Killiam Bay Logging Squamish note 1987 now # 4 1177-04-020B M B Port Mcneil 7280B #21 2205-06-21-037B Skeena Sawmills Terrace 7280B #5 1203-04-021B BCFP Caycuse 7280B #22 2205-07-22-038B Alaska Pulp Rowan Bay 7280B #6 1430-05-022B CFP Nimpkish 7280B #23 2207-07-23-039B Tsbiass Construction Campbell river 7280B #7 1451-05-023B Sharples Terrace 7280B #24 2245-07-24-039B Louisiana Pacific Ketchikan 7280B #8 1488-05-024B MB Menzies Bay 7280B #25 2446-07-25-040B Cachalot / Coast mountain Head Bay 7280B #9 1515-05-025B BCFP Narrows 7280B #26 MG14B-07-26-041B Pacific Thinning Powell River 7280B #10 1529-05-026B BCFP Pitt Lake 7280B #27 MG150-07-27-042B Hayes Logging Wilson Creek 7280B #11 1530-05-027B JR Gildersleeve Ketchican note this was june 85 #28 MG164-08-30-043B benwest Logging Knight inlet 7280C First C model now 1988 #12 1531-05-028B Whonnock Lumber Chamiss Bay 7280B #29 MG165-07-25-044B Owikeno log/Neechanz log 7280C #13 1628-05-029B J & J logging Moses inlet 7280B 1986 #30 MG678-08-30-045C Louisiana Pac/ Ketichikan pulp winter Harbour 7280C #14 1629-05-030B Four Way contracting Campbell river 7280B 1986 #31 MG679-08-31-046C Powel Daniels cont Theodesia Arm 7280C #15 1630-05-031B triple C Logging Squamish 7280B #32 MG683-08-32-047C CFP Nimkish 7280C #33 MG681-08-33-048C CFP Woss 7280C #34 MG945-08-34-049C Edwards & Ass logging 7280C #35 MG946-08-35-050C Coast Mount/Cachalot log 7280C #36 blank Hope this helps u guys Larry Forrester
Ok so something went wrong and serial numbers 16 thru to 32 didn't print I will revisit soon and get them on here sorry about that Larry
There is soon to be two 80's in Juene Landing and a 30 in the near future .Will grab the numbers off them when I can. The one 80 that is here now is the last one built
I think the guys are looking for the build list for the 7230s and 075s Larry if you have it.
Deleted Post
They must be coming from IPL? They've been purging a lot of iron lately.
The 7280 is from Fireball if we get a 7230 it will be a interfore one
I didn't know Interfor still had any of their own iron on the harvesting side. I did see Al Atwoods 30 for sale a month back, its an old Interfor machine. You guys are pretty much all 075s for line loaders aren't you?
If they get it it will be the only Cypress in the bunch. The one they are looking at was a Interfore machine when new, don't know who bought it .Ran it many years ago in Hardy Inlet for Interfore. Supposedly rebuilt before Interfore went contract. Might still fix my 075, not really all that much wrong with it. Just needs a new gantry and back braces and two 30 foot pieces of pipe. But they might part it out to fix up another 075,as mine has a rebuilt under carriage and Holbergs has a new series 50 in it and a bad under carriage . They were going to put a 50 in mine at a cost of $95,000 so we will see what happens.
075,so what will you run if yours gets rebuilt? The rubber tire loader?
I didn't let it get to far away lol
Helps when you hide the keys
Finally cypress creek has finished the cypress 7230
Looks good Jared. Is that your 075 in the background?
Does my heart good to see an old machine made new and ready to go back to work. Really looks great!
Boulder Bill .
Hi, does anybody know the weight of a American 5675 line loader? Thanks
Heres a long snorkel on a 7220 we built in the early 80 s . 120' might have been a bit much for the old girl ,but it did give the the mechanics lots of practice changing swinger frictions, the hard side is a bitch i know from my own Americans. I built at least 2 of the 40' end sections that succumbed to collisions with rock bluffs and trees that were nt supposed to be there. Sorry about the poor picture and the reverse order of the the pictures The Cypress page brought back some old memories of Americans in the woods. Heres the same machine in the 70s . Three of us gave her a major over fire season. New every thing from the ground up. I was the welder on the crew and did the fab work in camp ,torch and grinder style, no wire feeds press brakes or plasma cutters.
Cypress 6280 I found on the weekend in the Squamish valley. Pretty sure there's a few more of this machine in here, looks like it just got a fresh coat of paint.
Id say 145000 - 150000 lbs. Counterweight about 34000 . My best guess based on 500 series Americans with Guarding, backstop gantry and heel boom added on.
# 07 is owned by alpine in Campbell River now.
Running this machine now...Dickson Timber 46C
Those Machines were actually sitting at the original Cypress plant 8790 River Road
Some photos of the 7280C that I chase on, it's a 1988 and has a KTA525 Cummins. The one with the black boom is a 7280B that our crew fills in on sometimes, I think it's a 1985 and also has a KTA. As an added bonus here's a hat I bought recently.
Here's an American 7675 line loader sitting in camp here in Stafford Lake. Has a 6-71 Detroit, but not sure what's in the car body. We also have an 1825-C, was bought new in 1981 or 1982 I was told. Not sure what it has for power as there's a tarp over the engine, but looks like a either a 6-71 or some kinda Cummins. I'll be posting some videos to Youtube of these two machines soon.
Hey Larry good to see you on here! This is Blake's buddy Andy. I've been working for Benwest for a while now and I believe they still have both yarders listed here. I'll have to check the VIN plates when I see GY1 (7280C) and GY3 (7280B) again, but I usually work on GY2 (7280C) so here's the VIN plate for it. I've heard it's a 1988 but could be wrong, maybe you might have some info. Hope all is well Larry!