Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D-31 Komatsu Brakes

John Sarappa · 2022-02-25 06:28

Good morning, I have a D-31 dozer with pedal steering. I believe it is from the 80’s. We keep it on a farm and don’t use it much. It starts right up and run’s very good. The problem is after I move it in a straight line the brakes come on slowly and ever increasing without touching the pedals. Then you have to steer it back and forth and it will eventually start moving again. I use it to push up piles of brush and stumps that we dump ina compost area. It works fine after using it, but then on the trip back to the barn ( about 500 yards) it starts locking up again? Any suggestions?

Replies10
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-02-25 17:55

    sounds like brakes are adjusted up too tight loosen up adjustment untill you have about half a pedal

  2. #2John Sarappa2022-02-25 20:04

    Thanks for your reply but they haven’t been adjusted in 10 years and it just started happening recently by the way is a D 31E if that means anything

  3. #3John C.2022-02-26 11:31

    Look for junk stuck in the linkages first. After that start checking all the hinge points and spray with some lubricant or grease them as you find fittings. I don't recall anything under the covers for the steering compartments that would do that.

  4. #4HATCHEQUIP2022-02-26 14:49

    Like John said and check the springs and that the pedals are coming all the way back up

  5. #5John Sarappa2022-02-26 18:57

    Thanks guys, I pulled the floor,seat and back panel. It is clogged with dirt and debris. I cleaned it out and sprayed every joint with Kroil. Things are loosening up! The brakes still aren’t going all the way back, not sure if when it is running and vibrating they will return better? Where is the trans screen that everyone says to clean?

  6. #6John C.2022-02-26 19:46

    I’ve seen a spring added to help the pedals come back. Also added grease fittings to the bell cranks that rust up.

  7. #7John Sarappa2022-02-27 19:25

    Anyone have a location on the screen for the trans that can be cleaned?

  8. #8John C.2022-02-27 19:49

    I don’t remember any more. You probably should get an operation and maintenance manual for the machine.

  9. #9HATCHEQUIP2022-03-03 16:23
  10. #10John Sarappa2022-03-21 06:05

    Thanks for your replies everyone, and I am glad the site is back up and running! I got everything lubed up and clean and she steers and moves great! Now on to the screen.