Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D-4-G hydraulic lines

Southern Man ยท 2014-07-16 01:02

A few months ago the very first line on my 2005 model D-4-G sprang a leak. It was on the left side where the hoses transition in the C frame. Looks like the cause was wet dirt causing the metal to rust and pit. his was a pretty aggravating place to get to and low and behold today the one next to it blew. It was a whopping $28 hose and it took me several hours to replace. Word to the wise. When you are in there replace them both.

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2014-07-16 09:39

    We had a drive hose fail on a 345 Cat excavator, of course it was in the middle of a large mud hole. And of course the guards had not been off in a few years and the bolt heads were rusted about one size smaller than normal. Of course the bolts on the split flanges had heads too bad to get any wrench to bite. Well after that fun job I in not so nice words told boss that if one on the other side fails I have a vaction day or two so I'll be gone for the duration! Well after a couple days thinking and talking to his boss they washed off hoe and it came in the shop. We ended up replacing all hoses to the opposite side and four more hoses to the swivel that had good sized warts on them. Then as usual as soon as we had all the work done they loaded on lowboy and shipped it out to another plant!:Banghead But at least I know I won't be going back in there again! Oh and yes all hardware was replaced with new and large quantity of Anti-sieze was applied every where. Like I often say make it easy on the next guy `cause he might be you!

  2. #2Southern Man2014-07-23 08:52

    The second hose repair went much quicker than the 1st time around. Now I have to take the hood off today the weld up the muffler flange. A stray limb popped it loose yesterday and now I have a nice exhaust leak.